• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Does invincible suffer from the same problem as TWD? As in, if i have a go at it, from which issue should i start?
--
welp, Infinite Warfare done. Honestly enjoyed the gameplay more than Wolfenstein TNO. Story aint even remotely as good, obv. Unusually long for a CoD too, 8+ hours.

Sure feels odd when you reach the credits and two studios pass by. Then three. Then five. Then seven. Then eight. Kotick got even beenox and High moon working on this thing. Poor bastards :(

that should ruffle some feathers.

Finally got some time to sit down with some comics this weekend and thankfully I picked a good one. The Longest Day of the Future is quite amazing. An intriguing tale set in a dystopian future, like Brazil but in the style of Metropolis (it is a "silent" comic!). Very well drawn and great colours. The whole comic is set in a rigid 4x2 panel structure that perfectly fits the world Varela is building. And then he breaks the structure in very creative ways exactly when the story beats call for it.

FPnKpjv.jpg

mreddie

So I played my friends copy of IW

I had more fun playing Zombies in Spaceland than the actual SP story. Not touching MP after the beta.

Owzers

Does invincible suffer from the same problem as TWD? As in, if i have a go at it, from which issue should i start?
--
welp, Infinite Warfare done. Honestly enjoyed the gameplay more than Wolfenstein TNO. Story aint even remotely as good, obv. Unusually long for a CoD too, 8+ hours.

Sure feels odd when you reach the credits and two studios pass by. Then three. Then five. Then seven. Then eight. Kotick got even beenox and High moon working on this thing. Poor bastards :(

that should ruffle some feathers.

Invincible should definitely be started at the beginning and is worth doing so.

I can't get into Battlefield at all, i just want nerfs and Sombra.

Hagi

You should start from issue 1. I'm not sure if it's your kind of thing but I think the book is amazing so definitely from the beginning.

VanWinkle

Finally got some time to sit down with some comics this weekend and thankfully I picked a good one. The Longest Day of the Future is quite amazing. An intriguing tale set in a dystopian future, like Brazil but in the style of Metropolis (it is a "silent" comic!). Very well drawn and great colours. The whole comic is set in a rigid 4x2 panel structure that perfectly fits the world Varela is building. And then he breaks the structure in very creative ways exactly when the story beats call for it.

It feels like it's been a long time since I've seen you post. Or am I imagining that

Malyse

I don't know, I've really enjoyed Burnside Barbara.
It's a fun arc, but the dissonance with BoP is real.

----

Nadia needs to defect to the Champions. Or at least double up membership with Avengers. Also, I need Riri and Lunella on the team.

Just got out of Dr. Strange. Fun movie but I think Marvel movies are getting a little paint by numbers. I liked the SFX tho and this movie was basically the successful version of Michael Bay's failures. Like, a nice effects extravaganza.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Avengers #1 read

Enjoyed it. Loved the art! Anything with Kang in is a win for me, I HATE rich Spiderman though. Poor copy of Tony.

Hagi

Just got out of Dr. Strange. Fun movie but I think Marvel movies are getting a little paint by numbers. I liked the SFX tho and this movie was basically the successful version of Michael Bay's failures. Like, a nice effects extravaganza.

It definitely feels a little half baked but as far as characterization goes it's what I expected. The effects really were the saving grace, I dare say it's the first time in a long while I've been truly amazed by something these films have done visually. I wouldn't say I'm getting tired of Superheroes films but I'm absolutely tiring of the shared universe approach and how detrimental it is to these films. They aren't going to change up the formula but they should.

Speaking of Strange I'm reading through The Oath and really enjoying it so far.

That good huh? I love spy fiction but I actually read very few spy comics lately. I was looking at previews for this earlier in the week though. I definitely will be keeping an eye on this.

It is totally wild. I actually don't want to say too much about it (hence the gif review). There are too many great surprises in this book. I think they're best preserved.

Hagi

Man with Aarons run, the film and now finishing The Oath I have a great appreciation for Dr Strange. The Oath was a really nice sweet story, I would've have like to see Wong have a better role in the film.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Batman #10 was fantastic. I still feel like it'll read better in trade form

When did he ask Selina for her help btw?

Finished up Silent Hill 2. Still a masterpiece for sure. Even though I could have gone with my plasma/PS3 setup for my ps2. Copy of the game. I think going to the ol retro room and using the same CRT TV I had in 2001 when I first played though the game added to the experience. Great ride but again reminded me why I don't play scary games often. It gets to me real easy. And SH2 isn't near as bad as some others. But the SH affects me way way more than something like The RE series.

Have Titanfall 2 sitting here but I think I'll wait until next week when my pro shows up to play it. In the meantime I'll continue to chip away in DQB and I think play more BF1

I'm also reading the standoff event. Eh it's not great but not horrible. Im about halfway in. Also caught up on MU which is nice.

Hagi

I'm suddenly reminded why I cancelled my Unlimited last year now that I'm suddenly locked out of my account and no matter how many times I try they won't send me an email to reset my password. Got one issue into Simonsons run of Thor as well...

--

Poor Beenox. I liked Shattered Dimensions. It introduced me to Spider-Man Noir.

I don't think that was a problem with Walking Dead, and it's not a problem with Invincible, either. #1 is the best place to start.

I just finished the campaign and I have to say I liked it a lot. The story is pretty average, but I'm a big military sci-fi fan so the action kept me interested all the way through. Love those god damn space dogfights, though. I could play a whole game of just that.

In regards to comparing IW to Titanfall 2, I think TF2 had a much stronger story and is probably the better game overall. Piloting a mech feels so empowering and fun. IW has some great moments, but nothing can quite replicate running around blowing shit up in a giant robot.

So I played my friends copy of IW

I had more fun playing Zombies in Spaceland than the actual SP story. Not touching MP after the beta.

I didn't like Zombies or MP in this one. The campaign was really the only thing I was interested in.

I can't get into Battlefield at all, i just want nerfs and Sombra.

I know, I tried the BF1 beta but didn't enjoy it at all. I'm really looking forward to Sombra, though.

CBR just put up a whole article on this, actually. Spoilers for Champions #2, obviously.
Good breakdown. God Champions is gonna be fucking great down the line.
I see. Well the costumes not a negative for me, since I've accepted worse.
It also plays into what I said earlier, where it feels like she got significantly younger and as a result doesn't seem as mature. I haven't read the Burnside solo stuff, though (and don't recommend it, because I'm not going to any time in the near future).
Only movie I felt that way with was Ant-Man. Maybe AoU. I've felt the rest stand fine.

jurgen

I saw Strange on Monday. The more I think about it, the less I enjoy it. The humor really fell flat and the effects, while looking great on screen, feel like they won't hold up down the road and aren't that inventive.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it feels like Iron Man 3. There's some clever dialogue. There's some interesting story bits. Action is alright. The sum of those parts doesn't make a good movie though.

I was hoping Strange would prove that Marvel could do more than one genre but this felt like Marvel Movie™ + Magic instead of repulsor rays. The shadow of RDJ is probably going to start weighing down these new projects. I swear, if everyone in Wakanda has a quip...

Just watched Zootopia for the first time. Definitely lives up to the positivity. Been awhile since I've watched a genuine Disney movie. Makes me feel all warm inside.

Just watched Zootopia for the first time. Definitely lives up to the positivity. Been awhile since I've watched a genuine Disney movie. Makes me feel all warm inside.

I'm going to buy this for my partner's christmas, she's a huge Disney mark. I won't lie though, I love that stuff too, looking forward to seeing it. I loved the little short they used as an ad back when it came out, with the sloths haha.

I wish Kubo was out in time for xmas </3

Zombine

Banned
I feel like every single Marvel character in the comics has to make some snarky quip to another hero at least once so I feel like the MCU is being faithful to the comics in that regard.

With DC switching to paperbacks first, HCs for their popular titles after, do folks think they'll start doing 12 issue HCs (effectively changing up their deluxe editions/OHCs) or still six/same length HCs as the paperbacks?

Top Bottom