• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

I gotta nice package in the mail courtesy of ed today:

Not pictured (since it's a Christmas gift for my wife and is already stashed away), ed's Wonder Woman inktober drawing.

Just a friendly reminder that ed is the best.

Those are awesome man, really great stuff. Does your wife dig comics too then?

Echo said that Star Trek was better than the last X-men movie. he was right.

Star trek beyond was a return to greatness after into the darkness.

also that climax scene is space is classic 90s.

Yeah, I really liked it. Jaylah was a really fun character.

I don't know who sprinkled liberal doses of descent and ace combat in my CoD, but i sure likes it.

Also sidequests, configurable loadouts and equipment upgrades. Gad Damn, never thought id see the day.

0zxkuak0i86x.gif

As much as I liked Vision, I wouldn't call it a masterpiece

It's okay to be wrong.

I'm the voice of reason around here.

donald-trump-gif.gif

Hagi

Is Superior Foes on Marvel Unlimited? I'm about to cop a year subscription and that's my first port of call if it's all on there.

Champions #2
I really, really liked this issue. I thought everything about it was great, though the ending was weird. This book is gonna be so good.

Also loved Viv's look in this issue and Viv all around.
Poor Sam though. Damn does he keep getting shit on. Also Kamala as leader is something I really dig. And I thought the wifi scene was amazingly hilarious. Young Cyke putting shit straight.

Love it.
The difference between Starlin's Thanos and Aaron's Thanos is that it does come from a viewpoint of the author, yes. But the difference between both is that Aaron's view of Thanos' origin is more macabre and has a tone that would make Charles Manson chuckle. While Starlin has created and fleshed out Thanos way beyond the point that show that Thanos indeed does have the sadistic traits Aaron emphasizes in his book, Thanos is so much more than that.

Thanos loves Death and he is a monstrous brute that is so powerful that it takes several Avengers teams to take him on and even then it's a struggle to do so, even if they do have a plan to bring him down. But what a lot of writers forget is that Thanos is also a genius on a cosmic level and other worldly entities are reluctant to bargain with him because he always comes out on top. He's a master manipulator and strategist and has the power and cunning to pull off his schemes, even when facing odds that are not in his favor. He and another character are outside the normal cosmic flow of the universe and they are not detectable by cosmic entities or what have you, making him (and the other character, but mainly Thanos) very unpredictable and no one has ever prevented his schemes involving universal usurpation, at least not preemptively.

These things are not showcased in Aaron's book. They show that he loves Death and wants to kill his kids and doesn't care how long it takes to achieve his goal in doing so. I mean, that's cool but it's a very small view of the Mad Titan.
Starlin's Thanos is a goddamned chessmaster. So much fun. He manipulated the One Above All to his benefit and his alone. He's one of the most enjoyable characters in any book he's in.

While I do like the classic lineup of Cass-Batgirl, Barbara-Oracle and Steph-Spoiler I feel it would be very interesting to see Cassandra break out as the batfamily's definitively best martial artist and move on from the Batgirl nomenclature. She has been under Bruce's shadow for too long.

A storyline akin to what they have been doing with Barbara post-Rebirth would have been more fitting witih Cass in my opinion. She would need a new name too - I don't mind Black Bat too much, but Orphan sounds rather edgelord-ish.

Then it would be time for Steph to become either Batgirl or Robin (I'm clearly biased on this).

Mostly I want to point out I haven't enjoyed Barbara-Batgirl at all in recent years, and that's still something Rebirth should fix in my eyes, with different writers. It's time for a new direction. Her book is among the worst selling batbooks currently so I don't think this notion is misguided.
I can't take current Babs seriously at all. Because pf how she seems like she's a college freshman, the current Birds of Prey is really offset tonally. Dinah and Helena are great, but Babs is just there. "Here's two adults and a high school senior!"

Champions #2
I really, really liked this issue. I thought everything about it was great, though the ending was weird. This book is gonna be so good.

Viv looks good with her hair up like that. I think it's the first time they've bothered to change anything about her.

Poor Sam though. Damn does he keep getting shit on.

Lake of Fire 2-3: This book is so good. It's hard to talk about it without boiling it down to what must have been a straightforward pitch: it's crusaders versus xenomorphs. But it's so much more than that.

White Europeans were apeshit for religion during this era, and describing how all that functioned, all the little details that created such a toxic relationship with God, is a tall order for a comic book. Fairbairn isn't interested in providing a full history lesson, though. He wants us to see religion as the people living back then may have seen it, and he's greatly successful with that objective.

So, the first issue lulled is into a false sense that
maybe the red-haired girl wasn't as crazy as the rest of these people, like maybe she's actually a more enlightened and level-headed person
, but these issues reveal
she's, as a Cathar, easily the craziest and most fanatical of the bunch (though to be fair, there are
valid reasons
Catharism was especially appealing to women. She's certainly a zealot though
. These issues both reference a real atrocity the crusaders are responsible for, and
it turns out she's a refugee of this massacre, so she doesn't exactly have as fond a view of crusaders or Catholicism in general as the rest of these people

Oh right, aliens. In addition to all the religious fervor, there are alien attacks, and these things really are
exactly like xenomorphs, down to their tendency to harvest human prisoners and a facehugger-esque larval stage.
It's quite the inescapable ripoff, and it's made more glaring by the fact that these aliens aren't as intimidating. But the fights are tense and cool, and the fear they inspire in the villagers is palpable.

Highly recommended. A fun and surprisingly thought-provoking read. If you're a history nut, you need to read this.

Lazarus #25: Still one of the best books I buy. I've run out of things to say about it. If you're still not reading Lazarus, I don't know what to tell you.

Sandfox

Champions #2

Poor Sam though. Damn does he keep getting shit on. Also Kamala as leader is something I really dig. And I thought the wifi scene was amazingly hilarious. Young Cyke putting shit straight.

Love it.

Starlin's Thanos is a goddamned chessmaster. So much fun. He manipulated the One Above All to his benefit and his alone. He's one of the most enjoyable characters in any book he's in.

I can't take current Babs seriously at all. Because pf how she seems like she's a college freshman, the current Birds of Prey is really offset tonally. Dinah and Helena are great, but Babs is just there. "Here's two adults and a high school senior!"
I see some of the complaints people have about Champions #2, like how some of the characters act, but the issue did a lot of things I liked.

This is probably my favorite CoD campaign to date.

Interesting. I'd be surprised if it's better than COD4's. So many great levels in that campaign. When they inevitably release the remaster separately, I'll probably buy it.

Speaking of buying, I just ordered the Ms Marvel omnibus. I read all of the available issues on Marvel Unlimited a while ago and loved it. Looking forward to being able to finish the first run.

Viv looks good with her hair up like that. I think it's the first time they've bothered to change anything about her.
I loved all the shit they did to call back to The Vision:
the wifi password and the whole "first kiss" thing.
I see some of the complaints people have about Champions #2, like how some of the characters act, but the issue did a lot of things I liked.
Basicallly how I felt. Didn't really have an issue with any of it and I enjoyed it far more than I could dislike it.
I don't know, I've really enjoyed Burnside Barbara.

I can't take her costume seriously. And I read superhero comics that can get me to take a LOT of things seriously, so that's impressive.

Sandfox

Interesting. I'd be surprised if it's better than COD4's. So many great levels in that campaign. When they inevitably release the remaster separately, I'll probably buy it.

Speaking of buying, I just ordered the Ms Marvel omnibus. I read all of available issues on Marvel Unlimited a while ago and loved it. Looking forward to being able to finish the first run.

I might pick that omnibus up on Monday.

I have a predisposition toward sci-fi material as opposed to boring-ass modern-day shit, though. So that may factor into my feelings somewhere.

Speaking of buying, I just ordered the Ms Marvel omnibus. I read all of the available issues on Marvel Unlimited a while ago and loved it. Looking forward to being able to finish the first run.

Good call. I prefer the OHC's more in terms of format, since they're easier to handle. But it's all the same content so it doesn't really matter.

CBR just put up a whole article on this, actually. Spoilers for Champions #2, obviously.

Ross61

Basicallly how I felt. Didn't really have an issue with any of it and I enjoyed it far more than I could dislike it.

I can't take her costume seriously. And I read superhero comics that can get me to take a LOT of things seriously, so that's impressive.

I see. Well the costumes not a negative for me, since I've accepted worse.

As I said before, I'm at home for the first time in years and I've been going through my old comic boxes for amusements sake and figured I'd share a random of assortment of what I found. ComicsGAF might get a kick out of this or maybe no one even remembers any of this stuff, who knows.

Keep in mind I pulled a handful out of 1 of 5 boxes that have about 300 comics in each.

eSkYYcC.jpg

Top of a stack of Deadpool 1-69
x9CblkP.jpg

cXoMw21.jpg

Joc049T.jpg

Mfsy4v4.jpg

Xe3YUK9.jpg

This one might amuse some people
o5ofTFY.jpg

Buncha oldies
6c6JKAF.jpg

Most of my Cerebus collection

lol I got more

Batman #10 gave me serious Doctor Who Heaven Sent vibes what with Batman
punching the hell out of that wall.
The pacing of this series is pretty inconsistent as echo (I think) pointed out but I'm still enjoying this arc a lot so far.

Hagi

I found myself reading Thanos Rising after all the talk about it piqued my interest and can't say I really cared for it much. Aaron definitely takes it down a much darker path than I was expecting but it didn't really click with me. I did like him finally finding out who the women was and him going crazy on the ship but that was about it. I'd like to read the Starlin stuff that's recently came out but Revelation doesn't seem to want to work in Unlimited. Maybe I'll give Infinity a read seeing as I never did get around to it.

Sandfox

Foolkiller might have actually been my favorite book this week lol.

Bemis is really good at writing characters and his humor reminds me of the Spencer/Lieber books.

I found myself reading Thanos Rising after all the talk about it piqued my interest and can't say I really cared for it much. Aaron definitely takes it down a much darker path than I was expecting but it didn't really click with me. I did like him finally finding out who the women was and him going crazy on the ship but that was about it. I'd like to read the Starlin stuff that's recently came out but Revelation doesn't seem to want to work in Unlimited. Maybe I'll give Infinity a read seeing as I never did get around to it.

Infinity is really awesome with some absolute goosebumps moments but you definitely want to read the avengers/new avenger s he writes before hand to get the full payoff/satisfaction out of it.

Hagi

Foolkiller might have actually been my favorite book this week lol.

Bemis is really good at writing characters and his humor reminds me of the Spencer/Lieber books.

Hmm you are making me want to pick it up, I actually just read the first issue of Superior Foes and really enjoyed it. These kind of low key books are fun to read. The Justified reference was pretty great.

Infinity is really awesome with some absolute goosebumps moments but you definitely want to read the avengers/new avenger s he writes before hand to get the full payoff/satisfaction out of it.

I was planning on doing a full Hickman run at some point so I could reread Secret Wars again so that sounds like a plan.

Sandfox

Hmm you are making me want to pick it up, I actually just read the first issue of Superior Foes and really enjoyed it. These kind of low key books are fun to read. The Justified reference was pretty great.

I was planning on doing a full Hickman run at some point so I could reread Secret Wars again so that sounds like a plan.

I'd say the book is definitely worth trying.

I never made it past Infinity myself, I need to grab MU for a week at some point and read through all the way up to Secret Wars! All that stuff up to Infinity is absolutely golden though, really great. Especially loved the new universe stuff that pops up. I really enjoyed Ellis' newuniversal so it was cool to see that stuff introduced and make sense too.

We ran out of stuff to watch so watching Wayward Pines...lol wtf

PsychBat!

Banned
I never made it past Infinity myself, I need to grab MU for a week at some point and read through all the way up to Secret Wars! All that stuff up to Infinity is absolutely golden though, really great. Especially loved the new universe stuff that pops up. I really enjoyed Ellis' newuniversal so it was cool to see that stuff introduced and make sense too.

If you liked that, then you're going to love the Original Sin arc and the Great Society arc.

Hagi

We ran out of stuff to watch so watching Wayward Pines...lol wtf

You never read Secret Wars? Oh man get on that shit as soon as possible. It's easily one of my favourite comics that I can remember. What I'd give to be able to read it again for the first time. Even though there's still some books I enjoy the marvel universe on the whole has been such a let-down post Secret Wars it's kind of ridiculous. The sky was the limit but they barely made it past the second floor.

Wayward Pines is not a good show but Matt Dillon is fun to watch spinning his wheels.

I don't think I even made it through the first episode.

I made it through the first season...it's definitely a show.

Oh yea it's something alright. We've made it up to episode 3 though, and I think we're going to keep going. I feel like we need to see this one through.

If you liked that, then you're going to love the Original Sin arc and the Great Society arc.

Oh I have no doubt dude, I only stopped after falling so far behind, I really loved what I read of that run. When you fall so far behind and Hickman puts out such good quality work at Image it's easy to just focus on those, but I forget I can use MU.

You never read Secret Wars? Oh man get on that shit as soon as possible. It's easily one of my favourite comics that I can remember. What I'd give to be able to read it again for the first time. Even though there's still some books I enjoy the marvel universe on the whole has been such a let-down post Secret Wars it's kind of ridiculous. The sky was the limit but they barely made it past the second floor.

Wayward Pines is not a good show but Matt Dillon is fun to watch spinning his wheels.

I can imagine man, ill definitely get there. After Infinity, I can't see secret wars being any less than fantastic. Just need find the time haha.

Wayward pines strikes me as a show that would have been fantastic under different people and budget, on Netflix or FX or something. As it is, it's definitely entertaining in various different ways haha some similar to watching a train wreck but I am genuinely interest in what their explanation is going to be here haha

Owzers

Oh yea it's something alright. We've made it up to episode 3 though, and I think we're going to keep going. I feel like we need to see this one through.

Oh I have no doubt dude, I only stopped after falling so far behind, I really loved what I read of that run. When you fall so far behind and Hickman puts out such good quality work at Image it's easy to just focus on those, but I forget I can use MU.
Did you ever try Channel Zero?

Hagi

I can imagine man, ill definitely get there. After Infinity, I can't see secret wars being any less than fantastic. Just need find the time haha.

Wayward pines strikes me as a show that would have been fantastic under different people and budget, on Netflix or FX or something. As it is, it's definitely entertaining in various different ways haha some similar to watching a train wreck but I am genuinely interest in what their explanation is going to be here haha

I can see what you mean I guess I'm working back from that point so I can see that from how I liked Secret Wars, Infinity is going to be a treat too. Finding the time for all this certainly is the challenge lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Okay never mind I've never seen this show. I was thinking of Hemlock Grove on Netflix.

Foolkiller is really, really good. I loved it.

I still have a few to read but it's in the running for best #1 in this wave so far.

I can see what you mean I guess I'm working back from that point so I can see that from how I liked Secret Wars, Infinity is going to be a treat too. Finding the time for all this certainly is the challenge lol

Tease: Infinity, hands down, has one of the best Thor moment I have EVER read and that was even in the face of Aaron's God Butcher arc, which I had just read at the time.

Hagi

Foolkiller is really, really good. I loved it.

I still have a few to read but it's in the running for best #1 in this wave so far.

When i get round to buying the last two weeks of issues I've missed I'll add it to my cart.

Tease: Infinity, hands down, has one of the best Thor moment I have EVER read and that was even in the face of Aaron's God Butcher arc, which I had just read at the time.

Ah I do love me some Thor, if Unlimited wasn't such a temperamental piece of crap I'd start reading Hickmans run right now lol

I don't really miss print but the adds and stupid stuff like the Colgate mini strips were pretty funny at times.

Top Bottom