• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

tim1138

Midnighter & Apollo 1-2: I was a little worried this wouldn't be newbie friendly (I have very little experience with these characters) based on some of the early feedback, but I thought it was easy to slip into. It's good enough that it makes me want to check out Midnighter finally...once I have time for it, that is. I think it stands on its own. Sure, there are characters and situations you won't be immediately familiar with, but it's all pretty straightforward capes stuff. If you read a lot of cape comics, it won't even trip you up. No Wikipedia trips were required.

It's actually a little weaker for how plain jane the plot is. This book is engaging because its characters are fantastic.
Bendix
is a great villain, he's got the evil mastermind thing cranked to 11 but it's fun and it works. And of course Midnighter and, to a lesser extent, Apollo. Like Apollo, he's fine. He's cool. But Midnighter, holy shit. This guy is awesome. How come none of you guys ever told me how cool Midnighter is? I've been sleeping on this cat for years and I blame you people.
Door.

They're pretty fucking hot, too, I have to say. I expected "gay in name only," maybe some light affectionate touch, a kiss here or there, much like Wiccan and Hulkling's turn on New Avengers. Nope! Every panel they share, it seems, they act like a couple which is great. I love them together already and I don't even know them.
Wow at that sex scene, amazing.

Highly recommended. Cool book.

Echo has me on ignore, confirmed. ;D

Owzers

FBI Director: Gotcha!

This election.....

Not buying a PS4 Pro until there is some enticing special edition, i am likely to get a Switch though. PS4 is my overwatch machine, pro won't do anything for that.

The Mighty Thor 11-12: Love this book so much. There is a page in #12 that is so fucking metal.

Really glad
Dupe-Jane turned out to be Mjolnir instead of Loki
,that was a cool twist. Glad to be rid of
those shitty SHIELD agents with the awful dialogue
, I agree with Agent Solomon. And it's nice to have a
Dario-free arc, I really don't like that guy

Not buying a PS4 Pro until there is some enticing special edition, i am likely to get a Switch though. PS4 is my overwatch machine, pro won't do anything for that.

I am pretty likely to buy a Switch, pending cost and games of course. It would mostly depend on what Nintendo brings. If it's Wii U stuff again, I'd actually like that since I'm not buying one of those at this stage. Mario Maker with more robust online would be something I could see myself spending a lot of time on.

Owzers

I finished Autumnlands vol 1: Tooth and Claw, good book, maybe great book. I liked the art a lot, the story being framed around Dunstan, and the world despite never really getting a good sense of it as it did seem focused solely on the one city. I don't know if any one section of the book had enough depth to get me to buy vol 2, between the champion or the rest of the people, there wasn't something that really drew me into it, though for something like Deadly Class if i didn't already own the first three volumes i might not have bought the forth, it was the third that really sold me on the series. Random 8/10.

TheFlow

Banned
Glad you like it! Just don't try to flip my art for profit! *sideyes Zombine*

Thank you Mr BrightLight, may your Lava light bright until the end of time

I have others for sale if you're interested. Here's what all available.

Prices range depending on size (from around 5" x 7" to 11 x 14) and level of detail from $15 (Cable, Death Note) to $120 (Sephiroth, Vampire Hunter D) but most of them hang around $45 at 9 x 12

tempted on that BP

I am pretty likely to buy a Switch, pending cost and games of course. It would mostly depend on what Nintendo brings. If it's Wii U stuff again, I'd actually like that since I'm not buying one of those at this stage. Mario Maker with more robust online would be something I could see myself spending a lot of time on.

Oh, 100% on the switch, I will be balls deep on that one come March time.

After like 6 years since I moved into my house I finally organized my movies in my library room! Took me 6 hours but it's now done. It'll be much nicer to finally find things without much hassle

Ponn

Banned
I finished Autumnlands vol 1: Tooth and Claw, good book, maybe great book. I liked the art a lot, the story being framed around Dunstan, and the world despite never really getting a good sense of it as it did seem focused solely on the one city. I don't know if any one section of the book had enough depth to get me to buy vol 2, between the champion or the rest of the people, there wasn't something that really drew me into it, though for something like Deadly Class if i didn't already own the first three volumes i might not have bought the forth, it was the third that really sold me on the series. Random 8/10.

Yay someone else read this! I love furries books like Mice Templar so I gave this one a chance awhile ago and liked it alot. Really interesting story, spectacular art and got me hooked. Now you can join me in the agonizingly long wait for the 2nd volume.

Just saw Doctor Strange. Pretty good. Fantastic visuals. I was a bit disappointed by the shallow philosophy, but I did really enjoy the final confrontation. Felt incredibly creative compared to all the other films. I liked the mid-credits stinger, but I didn't stay all the way until the end. Pretty strong acting all around, I have to say, and the score was pretty good. Fit the tone at least. Primarily let down by some of the characters.

Overall I think it will be remembered primarily for a beautiful movie and not much else, which is upsetting, but it works. I do think that
while Kaecilius was a shallow villain, I think the quandry presented by his conflict with the Ancient One provided a strong foundation for the relationship between Mordo and Strange. So in that way, it works
Echo has me on ignore, confirmed. ;D
Samsies apparently

I guess everyone is different. We still get each other a good few movies for each other at Christmas times, birthdays, and I buy my boy most of the pixar and DreamWorks stuff. They definitely get the use though. I just watched all of my horror/fantasy type blurays again through October, we'll watch a lot over the Christmas period while everyone's home. Most Saturday night's me and the missus make time for each other no matter how busy the week has been and that usually equals a pizza and a movie.

I probably rewatch my stuff more than you guys but I keep my bluray collection pretty much as I keep my trade collection. I'm pretty much drawn to fiction that is deep enough for repeat viewings or readings, or it goes, that's a big part of the enjoyment for me. To that end, I love having a nice movie collection on that shelf. Del Toro flicks, Scorsese , Tarantino etc. It's all lifestyle differences I think. Digital for example is worthless to me pretty much and no fun to buy a gift for the family but I wouldn't disparage. What's the point. Just because it doesnt work for me doesn't mean it doesn't for others.

Owzers

I've considered buying Civil War, Zootopia, and Hateful Eight. Civil War i didn't really like past a couple set pieces and jokes, but i have the other two Cap movies and the first two Avengers so i was thinking i should just buy this one too, but part of me thinks that's a terrible idea. Zootopia and Hateful Eight i both actually liked, but Zootopia is on Netflix streaming and i am not inclined to watch it there so why buy it? Hateful Eight was probably my favoritest movie in awhile but it's pretty long and i got enough out of it the two times i saw it when i rented it.

I'm watching X-Men Apocalypse tonight :p

I also have no desire to own digital movies. Give me the case!

I don't mind renting them but I'd never buy a film digitally. It's the same with full price games, though they charge such ridiculous prices here, I'd never want to anyway.

I really really liked this too.

I think what made it so strong was the huge dichotomy between the hugely fantastical animal wizardry and very high fantasy world, and then Dunstan showing up as this amazing hero...and he's basically an ultra gritty PTSD berserker with no fantasy in him at all.

I'm definitely super interested in the next Volume

Sold my PS4 to Gamestop today to clear shelf space for the Pro. Got $150 for it, and avoided being stabbed by a Craiglist Trumpite in a dark alley. Win-win. Now I can celebrate Hillary's win and Veterans Day with a long weekend of hiking and gaming.

Sticking with my 1080p set for now. I don't really see myself getting a 4K TV until this one gives up the ghost.

Time to figure out which games I want for Christmas and my birthday. I'm thinking some combination of the following:
- Uncharted 4
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Final Fantasy XV

I really need to get some comic reading on the go, I've been totally distracted reading books for a good week or so now. I'm thinking a Y The Last Man reread. It's been probably a good five years or maybe even more since my last proper read of the series, interested to see if any of my views or feeling on the characters etc will have shifted particularly because the book concerns itself with Yorick as a young guy coming to grips with his view of life and the world, as it was and is etc. Saga engages me so much because it concerns itself with questions I ask myself often right now, Y will be a little like looking back. Should be a good read anyhow.

That's a great list of games Tragic, have you not played any of them yet either? I notice Ratchet, Infamous & Last Of Us missing, but I assume those are ones you've played/have or don't care for? Middle Earth is a good one if you like that kind of gameplay. Oh and there's Dishonored 2 as well obviously. Haven't played it yet of course, but no reason yet not to think it'll be great. Your three there are great games though (who knows how FFXV will turn out), especially Uncharted. A wild ride if it's your first time through for sure. I'll be replaying that for years to come.

I haven't bought a film since I stopped buying Blu-Rays about three years ago. Now, they all sit in a box in my spare wardrobe, unloved next to all the unbuilt Lego sets. I weep for the money I spent on all those films, most of which I'd already seen and probably wouldn't watch again anyway. I barely watch movies at all these days. If I miss it in the cinema, odds are I'm never seeing it.

Still not as bad as the monument to poor decision making that is my DVD collection. At least with books they add character, and with digital you can hide the shame altogether. I can't even give most of those away since nobody else in my family really watches movies at all. At least when I sold my 360 and 3DS collections I got a few hundred or so.

Buy the vast majority of my games digital since I'm a PC person. Sometimes I get a good deal on a boxed game, like I got Diablo III, Starcraft II and their expansions for €28 a month or two ago because of a price error at GameStop. I got about 8 Hearthstone packs from all those boxes as well.

As far as those games, I can vouch for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If you enjoyed the first, it's a good time. Stunning game graphically as well. Consider looking into the new DOOM at some point as well, I hear it goes for around $20 on console these days. Great, great single player campaign.

As far as those games, I can vouch for Rise of the Tomb Raider. If you enjoyed the first, it's a good time. Stunning game graphically as well. Consider looking into the new DOOM at some point as well, I hear it goes for around $20 on console these days. Great, great single player campaign.

Would really love Doom, and the new Wolfensteins to get the Pro treatment man. They already fly, would love to see what they could crank up with the Pro.

Owzers

Rise of Tomb and FF15 are the games I want to play most. Battlefield soured me on titanfall 2 and cod.

Last Guardian is still a thing that will release.

I tried to get into Battlefield 1 through the trial and I just couldn't. I'm not one to do a THINK OF THE CHILDREN but World War I is something that should be treated with a bit more respect and gravitas, and BF1, or at least the campaign, is closer to Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine with slightly fewer Orks than anything close to WWI. It is the Saturday Morning Cartoon version of one of the worst things humanity has ever done to itself. It annoys me. Overwatch is a more respectful depiction of the horrors of war and I currently play that as a man with a jack-o-lantern for a head.

Titanfall 2 is rad though. That's an actually good Saturday Morning Cartoon. I have Infinite Warfare but haven't played it yet.

BTW, I got in my Absolute Batman Year One and... why the heck is this in two books?! It's arbitrary and I'm sure some people are happy with it, but 1 big book feels much nicer and high quality to me somehow than 2 skinny ones. Plus it's not even something that would run into the "oh it's too big to comfortably read" issue some people have. This is laaaaaaame, as I wanted the "this feels fancy and definitive" edition, and this choice (though again this is on my tastes, totally understand that) is kind of ruining that for me. :/

Edit: Do any other Absolutes have this "issue", btw, so I can know to watch out for that?

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen v1.

And the JLA/Avengers "Absolute".

Edit: And Absolute Danger Girl too, come to think of it.

That's a great list of games Tragic, have you not played any of them yet either? I notice Ratchet, Infamous & Last Of Us missing, but I assume those are ones you've played/have or don't care for? Middle Earth is a good one if you like that kind of gameplay. Oh and there's Dishonored 2 as well obviously. Haven't played it yet of course, but no reason yet not to think it'll be great. Your three there are great games though (who knows how FFXV will turn out), especially Uncharted. A wild ride if it's your first time through for sure. I'll be replaying that for years to come.

I haven't played any of them. I loved The Last of Us (GOAT) and enjoyed Middle Earth. Dishonored 2 isn't really on my radar, since I wasn't crazy about the first. Admittedly, I stopped way too soon and never jumped back in. I hate when I do that with games, but it happens from time to time.

I would get Titanfall 2 over Uncharted 4, personally.

I never played the first Titanfall, but the hype around part two has my interest. Judi concerned it's a multiplayer heavy experience (not typically my focus), and matchmaking will be dead by Christmas. If there's a sizable campaign mode and it's worth it, then: /whydontwehaveboth.gif

I LOVED the previous Tomb Raider game. It got a bit repetitive late in the game, but it was cash money into the very end. Such an awesome atmosphere.

Is Doom scary? Like jump scares and stuff? I almost never play that sort of game. Enough stress already I'm my line of work. Last Doom game I played was Doom 2 in 1994, and I loved the hell out of it, so there's a precedent there.

Rise of Tomb and FF15 are the games I want to play most. Battlefield soured me on titanfall 2 and cod.

Last Guardian is still a thing that will release.

Let's be Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy bros!

This could be my first mainline FF in forever. I played and loved I through IV back in the NES/SNES era, played the FF VII prequel on there PlayStation Portable of all places, and then went through the main story on FF XIV online.

The Last Guardian looks...poopy? Like outdated gameplay and graphics? I dunno, zero hype for me.

Boogiepop

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen v1.

And the JLA/Avengers "Absolute".

Edit: And Absolute Danger Girl too, come to think of it.

Got it, thanks! I realize it's totally just a preference thing that doesn't make it inherently worse or anything, but when I'm buying an Absolute where it's priced at such a "deluxe edition" level, I really want to make sure I'm 100% satisfied that this'll be the best edition of the thing for me to have on my shelf.

I never played the first Titanfall, but the hype around part two has my interest. Judi concerned it's a multiplayer heavy experience (not typically my focus), and matchmaking will be dead by Christmas. If there's a sizable campaign mode and it's worth it, then: /whydontwehaveboth.gif

The campaign is about 6 or 7 hours long, and is spectacular. Far more enjoyable than Uncharted 4, so it's not always a question of length.

Joining in on the Midnighter love, I read vol 2 last night and loved it. Orlando knows how to punctuate Midnighter's arrogance and hyper violence with just enough of an infrequent vulnerability that makes Midnighter's inevitable victories surprising. Such a great series.

I have only a couple minor complaints with the art. The fill in artists aren't as good as ACO. They're actually a couple tiers below, no offense to the artists. They would be fine on an average title, but this isn't an average title. Midnighter is a title with a distinct voice.

ACO is extremely capable at capturing the action in the title. Blood splatters, bones break and Midnighter cracks a smirk the entire time. I don't think he quite nails the previously mentioned moments of vulnerability quite as well but its hardly jarring.

I do think his small inset panels need better scale focus. I think he tends to pack *just* a little much into his small panels, likely as a result of drawing digitally at a large scale. I would like to see him simplify his small panels.

Overall, its a damn good title. I think I've enjoyed Orlando's take on Midnighter more than Ellis's

The campaign is about 6 or 7 hours long, and is spectacular. Far more enjoyable than Uncharted 4, so it's not always a question of length.

Surprising to hear that praise over Uncharted 4. I loved the previous three games, and assumed I was in for more of the same. I slightly disagree on the length evaluation, though. You're right that quality and enjoyment Donald Trump length, but $60 for a 6 hour game can leave me frustrated if I don't get into multiplayer. I do prefer a great, fully realized story over 40 hours of bloat, though.

I also loved The Order 1886 when I bought it for $10, so maybe I just have horrible taste in games!

Top Bottom