• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau JLvsSS #1 variant cover:
jlvsss1_cover_lau-coltis31.jpg

Owzers

I want to remind everyone to vote on Tuesday, even those people that hate our country and want to keep us from being great again. The same people who think roman reigns was better when the shield was around because they were "stronger together". He doesn't need them just like we don't need NATO or the first amendment. Why should people be allowed to talk negatively about books I like without repercussions? Dishonest Gaf members...that's all going to change Tuesday, believe me. Harley is never being book of the month again.

Ross61

Duke Thomas, the main character from We Are Robin.

I don't think they have said why just yet but I am not fully caught up.
Snyder explained it in an interview but I forgot which one. Something about seeing him as an equal and not someone lesser or his replacement.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I want to remind everyone to vote on Tuesday, even those people that hate our country and want to keep us from being great again. The same people who think roman reigns was better when the shield was around because they were "stronger together". He doesn't need them just like we don't need NATO or the first amendment. Why should people be allowed to talk negatively about books I like without repercussions? Dishonest Gaf members...that's all going to change Tuesday, believe me. Harley is never being book of the month again.

I totally would but I forgot to register for the 17th straight year.

Boogiepop

So, I watched X-men Apocalypse last night, and... I didn't hate it. I actually think it pegged itself perfectly by bringing up Return of the Jedi in the movie, as it really is the equivalent of that movie within its own trilogy to me. Like, it's really flawed in a number of ways, but there are enough scenes and pieces that work for me to have enjoyed it, and it kind of brings closure to things, which is nice. But yeah, a shame they couldn't have edited it together a bit better, as it feels like something that really COULD have been a great movie, but it just didn't fit the pieces together right, and wasted a lot of run time on stuff like a random detour to Weapon X that just seemed to be there solely for the cameo.
Though I did appreciate the ridiculous Weapon X outfit making it to the screen, more or less.
The funny thing is I think the biggest issue of the movie didn't effect me much, in that I realized a lot of the film is leaning HEAVY on you having knowledge of the characters and ideas. Like, I'm not even sure just watching all the movies would be enough to counterbalance that, and it kind of felt like the film expected you to more or less know the comics for it to "work".

Also, I started the first Claremont Uncanny X-men omnibus, though I only reread the original Giant Sized X-men thus far. And despite going in with reservations from having not really been big on this run when I first read it some years back, I'm actually kind of optimistic on this read-through now. Like, it'd be easy to pick apart the story as it's certainly not without flaws, but I definitely enjoyed reading that. And damn if I don't still have a soft spot for the name "Krakoa, the Island that Walks Like a Man!" So yeah, here's hoping this positivity continues on as I reread more of this stuff!

Oh, and I have to say, it's always kind of struck me as funny that Sunfire and Thunderbird came so close to being iconic characters, but getting written off so early relegated them to mild obscurity. Like, they're right there in the beginning, part of the team, and considering how everyone else became classics, they would've likely been a big part of pop culture had Sunfire not decided to just ditch the team, and if Thunderbird weren't a suicidal idiot. Just a weird thought.

Fearless Defenders Vol. 2 was, yet again, an average book. It had enjoyable moments, but was largely forgettable, with an unsatisfying ending. Sliney's art is not so bueno, and while Stephanie Hans' art is fantastic, she only popped up for a single issue which was a huge bummer.

Just a really average book all around that could have been really great had there been better plot cohesion and pacing. Ren is a cool character though, she highlights one of the book's biggest weaknesses in that it doesn't have great character development. Valkyrie and Annabelle are the only ones who get anything worthwhile. It's also incredibly disappointing to see how every issue lists the characters that are going to be in it and then not all of them are in it.

Disappointing, but not bad if you're looking for a worse version of A-Force

Midnighter & Apollo 1-2: I was a little worried this wouldn't be newbie friendly (I have very little experience with these characters) based on some of the early feedback, but I thought it was easy to slip into. It's good enough that it makes me want to check out Midnighter finally...once I have time for it, that is. I think it stands on its own. Sure, there are characters and situations you won't be immediately familiar with, but it's all pretty straightforward capes stuff. If you read a lot of cape comics, it won't even trip you up. No Wikipedia trips were required.

It's actually a little weaker for how plain jane the plot is. This book is engaging because its characters are fantastic.
Bendix
is a great villain, he's got the evil mastermind thing cranked to 11 but it's fun and it works. And of course Midnighter and, to a lesser extent, Apollo. Like Apollo, he's fine. He's cool. But Midnighter, holy shit. This guy is awesome. How come none of you guys ever told me how cool Midnighter is? I've been sleeping on this cat for years and I blame you people.
Door.

They're pretty fucking hot, too, I have to say. I expected "gay in name only," maybe some light affectionate touch, a kiss here or there, much like Wiccan and Hulkling's turn on New Avengers. Nope! Every panel they share, it seems, they act like a couple which is great. I love them together already and I don't even know them.
Wow at that sex scene, amazing.

Highly recommended. Cool book.

I wish Kubo was out in time for xmas </3

How big is the difference in release dates between the US and UK? Kubo is coming out on the 22nd of this month in America.

My, what a lovely November weather:

Do you happen to live in Hell? If so, I think we can take this as an indication that Trump is going to be the new US President.

Stanley "Artgerm" Lau JLvsSS #1 variant cover:

I really like this.

I'm just looking forward to everyone finally shutting the fuck up after Tuesday. This has been the worst election cycle in history.

Do you happen to live in Hell? If so, I think we can take this as an indication that Trump is going to be the new US President.
Sweden. It's -9 celsius here and the first snow is somehow staying around due to it. There isn't a cold based superhero/villain from Sweden IIRC which is kind of strange. At least Ice and Icemaiden are from Norway.

List!

Shipwreck 2

Namesake 1

All-Star Batman 4
Deathstroke 6
Detective Comics 944
Doom Patrol 3
Mother Panic 1
New Super-Man 5
Wonder Woman 10

Batman TMNT Adventures 1

Cannibal 2
Violent Love 1

All-New X-Men 15
ASM: Renew Your Vows 1
Avengers 1.1
BP World of Wakanda 1
Captain America SR 7
Clone Conspiracy 2
Daredevil 13
Gwenpool 8
Invincible Iron Man 1
Mosaic 2 (mayyyyybe)
Power Man and Iron Fist 10
Solo 2 (mayyyyybe)
Spider-Man & Deadpool 11
Uncanny Avengers 16
Uncanny X-Men 15

Terminarch

Holy fuck what a week. Really excited about all of the Marvel #1s. I bet Namesake also turns out to be awesome.

Man, I remember Ex Machina came out way earlier in the UK, and I wanted to see that shit so bad.

I still haven't saw that actually, and I like Alex Garland. Fuck all these mixed up release dates though, most of the media I digest on the internet is American based anyway, it only serves to confuse me by moving them here and there.

Think I might angle for some of the Ghibli movies I haven't seen on my xmas list.

Who's all grabbing a pro btw? I was initially cold on the idea but starting to turn around a little. Going to keep an eye on all coverage starting tomorrow and everyone's impressions, and maybe get one over the holidays if it's sounding good.

Who's all grabbing a pro btw? I was initially cold on the idea but starting to turn around a little. Going to keep an eye on all coverage starting tomorrow and everyone's impressions, and maybe get one over the holidays if it's sounding good.

Eventually perhaps but I don't play enough video games right now to justify the purchase. I will hold off for at least a year or two. If it looks like this is something they are going to keep doing, I might even skip this model.

Vic_Viper

Anyone get the War of Kings Omnibus? How is it? Was thinking about picking it up even though I still don't have the Anniahalation Omni. Thought it wasn't coming out till December too.

Saw they are reprinting the DareDevil Brubaker omnis which is cool. Any word on the Iron Fist Omni?

Me. Pre-ordered at Gamestop so I can pick it up with Dishonored on Thursday. I wasn't going to get one right away, but lol at trying to find one during Holiday shopping season.

At this point if your thinking about it, you want it. I traded in my white Xbox One S to get the blue one. lol

If I do buy a PS4, it'll likely be a Pro. Or whatever the Pro equivalent is when I decide to get a PS4. Probably need to buy a new TV first, not sure mine still works.

Getting my NES Classic Mini on Friday. Might not be that fun though if my TV actually is broken. I would just use one of my monitors but I don't have a receiver so sound is a problem.

Vic_Viper

Going to hold off on the Pro and get the Scorpio instead. Since I don't have a XBone and already have a PS4, figured it wasn't worth it atm.

I've warmed to the idea a bit, but I'm in no rush to get one right now. I'm mainly on my Xbox at the moment anyway. Can't stop playing Gears.

List!

All-Star Batman #4
Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #1
Black Panther World of Wakanda #1
Detective Comics #943
Poe Dameron #8
Wonder Woman #10

Oh, happy day! This beauty is going into a frame this week. It shall be an heirloom of my kingdom.
Glad you like it! Just don't try to flip my art for profit! *sideyes Zombine*

I still love that. Good job, Ed.
Thank you Mr BrightLight, may your Lava light bright until the end of time

I have others for sale if you're interested. Here's what all available.

Prices range depending on size (from around 5" x 7" to 11 x 14) and level of detail from $15 (Cable, Death Note) to $120 (Sephiroth, Vampire Hunter D) but most of them hang around $45 at 9 x 12

Eventually perhaps but I don't play enough video games right now to justify the purchase. I will hold off for at least a year or two. If it looks like this is something they are going to keep doing, I might even skip this model.

Yea I kind of feel it's only a matter of time if I buy one before they announce the 2017 edition with a 4k bluray drive, so it is a little bit of a gamble. Waiting probably is a good idea. I'm half thinking along the lines of upgrading though to give the boy my og, but we'll see.

Me. Pre-ordered at Gamestop so I can pick it up with Dishonored on Thursday. I wasn't going to get one right away, but lol at trying to find one during Holiday shopping season.

At this point if your thinking about it, you want it. I traded in my white Xbox One S to get the blue one. lol

Awesome guys, ill be keeping an eye for your impressions then. When exactly is it out? Don't get.me wrong, when I say the holidays,I won't be running around looking for one, I'm content to wait for them to be easily available, I accept that by not grabbing one at launch. Boxy, you're not wrong but if they are noisy as he'll and super hot, I could change my mind back, hence the patience haha.

Edit: haha so many replies from everyone, didn't expect that. Taking in what your all saying. Still got a healthy amount of games on my x1 to work through right now too.

Awesome guys, ill be keeping an eye for your impressions then. When exactly is it out? Don't get.me wrong, when I say the holidays,I won't be running around looking for one, I'm content to wait for them to be easily available, I accept that by not grabbing one at launch. Boxy, you're not wrong but if they are noisy as he'll and super hot, I could change my mind back, hence the patience haha.

It's out on the 10th. There's a guy on twitter that got one already. He says it's quieter and takes longer to get warm (4 hrs.) than his old PS4. Hard to judge the noise, because some PS4's seem to be louder than others.

I got a blue Xbox One S. I'm not getting the Pro.

It's out on the 10th. There's a guy on twitter that got one already. He says it's quieter and takes longer to get warm (4 hrs.) than his old PS4. Hard to judge the noise, because some PS4's seem to be louder than others.

This bodes well! Will see what digital foundry and folks on gaf say though, man on Twitter does not own my jet engine edition ps4 and as you say, it's up and down.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Shitty week

Glitterbomb #3
Violent Love #1

Looking ahead next week is small too. I must have a week with like 12 issues coming up at end of the month.

Aceun

Yay List!

Action Comics #967
Superwoman #4
Supergirl #3
New Super-Man #5
Wonder Woman #10

Avengers #1.1
Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1 (SO HYPE FOR THIS)
Captain America: Steve Rogers #7
Invincible Iron Man #1
Mosaic #2

Me. Might wait for the pay check/grab it with FFXV.

Boogiepop

BTW, I got in my Absolute Batman Year One and... why the heck is this in two books?! It's arbitrary and I'm sure some people are happy with it, but 1 big book feels much nicer and high quality to me somehow than 2 skinny ones. Plus it's not even something that would run into the "oh it's too big to comfortably read" issue some people have. This is laaaaaaame, as I wanted the "this feels fancy and definitive" edition, and this choice (though again this is on my tastes, totally understand that) is kind of ruining that for me. :/

Edit: Do any other Absolutes have this "issue", btw, so I can know to watch out for that?

Top Bottom