• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

I actually feel worse in the morning then I did last night. And I'm gonna stop going into the OT political threads. They are awful. So many bullshit, barely hidden "I told you" posts from morons that don't even know why the result happened parading said posts around.

Oh yeah I'm done with PoliGAF and most of the internet and all cable news.

This is my home now.

(Of course I'm broke until Tuesday. Maybe I'll work on that UXM reread.)

I kinda want to drop cable, cable news is dead to me, sports are kinda boring between the NFL and NBA. Like I want to watch an 82 game season just to get to the Warriors/cavs again. If I can get a digital antenna working for over the air channels I might be set. Although I'd still have to get internet through Comcast and they are awful and charge a lot as I'm with them now since my apartment only has them.

To be honest if not for the kiddo, I'd be quick to drop my tv provider, anything I watch, I watch streaming. Even with the kid as an excuse, I'm not sure it won't be long b efore there's adequate solutions. He doesn't really watch cartoon that often anymore either. I suppose the only thing they've got these days if that without a package, the internet is nigh on as expensive as having the tv net package. Bills suck ha.

Not looking to kick off a competition but in the name of genuine interest, outside of bills etc how much do you guys reckon you spend a month on expendables, hobby stuff and the like. Ballpark figures are fine of course

I'd be really curious to see what happened to news ratings at abut 10:30. I know that's when I bailed and turned off the TV. I feel like over half of America is done with all punditry bullshit.

Owzers

I'd be really curious to see what happened to news ratings at abut 10:30. I know that's when I bailed and turned off the TV. I feel like over half of America is done with all punditry bullshit.
A year of both sidesing only to get us 4 years of nodding their heads to everything trump says.

A year of both sidesing only to get us 4 years of nodding their heads to everything trump says.

I'm eager to never watch it.

I'll say this here because I love y'all, there is nothing Trump wants less than to actually be president. This will be agonizing misery for him. Unfortunately we're all along for the ride.

To be honest if not for the kiddo, I'd be quick to drop my tv provider, anything I watch, I watch streaming. Even with the kid as an excuse, I'm not sure it won't be long b efore there's adequate solutions. He doesn't really watch cartoon that often anymore either. I suppose the only thing they've got these days if that without a package, the internet is nigh on as expensive as having the tv net package. Bills suck ha.

Not looking to kick off a competition but in the name of genuine interest, outside of bills etc how much do you guys reckon you spend a month on expendables, hobby stuff and the like. Ballpark figures are fine of course

Somebody asked me this on another forum, so one Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V later....

TV: Currently no cable, but work just took on Sky as a client and they are offering 50% off packages and free installation for staff. I miss the Premier League so I may go for a sports package. I sub to Netflix if there is something new I want to watch, maybe 4 months out of the year. Will be a regular customer when Star Trek Discovery and Voltron Legendary Defender Season 2 are airing. If we're counting online content, I am a Giant Bomb Premium Member ($35 per year when on sale) and am subbed to TotalBiscuit (to be able to chat when Co-Optional Podcast is live), Brian Kibler and shadybunny on Twitch.
Movies: Haven't been charged since I finished the job at the local cinema. I don't go often since I don't like to abuse that, but if it's a staff member that knows me, they just wave me on. Paying for IMAX for Rogue One though. The Redbox type thing here at the supermarket just got Blu-Ray so I'll rent a movie every 6 weeks or so.
Music: Spotify Premium member, get it for half price through my phone network. Don't really need anything else. Mostly a podcast type person anyway. Paid about $8 for PocketCasts across desktop and phone.
Comics: Marvel Unlimited (all Marvel comics 6 months after they come out + archives) yearly member, $69 per year. My pullist is probably about €100 a month, I don't like to go over that. Gets me about 25 books. Has ballooned a lot recently with DC Rebirth going on but cutbacks are coming and I will be ruthless. Also subbed to the Judge Dredd Mega Collection, 2 hardbacks for €30 per month.
Video Games: Hoooooo, boy. The monthly expenses are Humble Monthly Bundle ($12, 6-8 games with one early) and Origin Access (€4, most EA games 6 months after release + 10 hours of all new releases except Titanfall 2). I buy most releases as they come out, but I don't pay full price 95% of the time. Ditto any good bundles on Humble Bundle, Groupees or BundleStars. I buy 100+ packs of all Hearthstone expansions, and 50 Loot Boxes for every Overwatch event. The only other F2P game I put much time into these days is Heroes of the Storm and I generally have enough in-game currency to buy whatever I want there. I guess I can count my Lightworks sub for my YouTube videos here, €100 for two year license. I also play a few rounds of draft in Magic the Gathering Online every so often which costs me about €8, but if I do well I have enough tickets that I can play a few more afterward.
Bar life: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......no. Nondrinker and I refuse to pay the outrageous prices for soft drinks in pubs so I drink cordial there. I might go for dinner and then pub 3-4 times a year with friends.
Apps: Have my PocketCasts license, a LastPass yearly sub and a Headspace sub for meditation/mindfulness.
Sporting events: Nothing, I think. Thinking about going to the WWE house show in Dublin next May though. Never been to a live wrestling show, haven't even been to a concert for about 10 years.
Gambling: Basically nothing apart from a few horses at Cheltenham each year that my father picks for me anyway.

That's basically it, apart from Funko POPs (whenever I bloody feel like it!) and physical Magic the Gathering cards, though I mostly buy the Deck Builder's Toolkit every expansion for some kitchen table Magic with my brother (there is enough in one box for two middling dual-colour decks as long as we both don't want the same colour) and I have a few Elder Dragon Highlander decks that are not quite finished. I buy shinies of some single cards for use as bookmarks (mostly "plot" cards like Call the Gatewatch or Zendikar Ascendant from OGW) as well.

Winter update:
img_3324rlz8r.jpg
I was just going to buy some milk.

Winter update:

I was just going to buy some milk.

Do you live in that new Division DLC?

As someone who generally likes winter, I'm actually kind of jealous. Snow seems awesome if you're in a country that can handle. Half of Ireland closes down if one snowflake falls. There is almost no chance of snow here this
Christmas
(spoilered for people who don't want to see THAT WORD just yet) but if there is, my job is going to be hell over the holiday period.

Dusknoir

DeathStroke #6 [5/5]

The art in this issue is the best it ever was since Rebirth. This is great. The supporting cast for this book is what makes it great. Wintergreen reminds Sully from Uncharted which isn't a knock. I loved dialog and the issue start to make connections to certain events. Can't say more without spoilers but people should read this book.

Edit: My bad issue numbering I got excited.

I blame silly monkey tbh

Yeah

Read a couple of issues already:

Renew Your Vows #1 was great. It feels so refreshing in comparison to what's going down in regular ASM, and it's nice to read an adult Pete comic by a different writer in 2016. I really like how Conway's handling the family lifestyle and it just felt really cozy. Definitely going to be sticking with this.

Mother Panic #1 was interesting. They left a lot of dangling threads to expand on next issue so I'm very curious to learn more about Violet and her life. The bio in the back probably goes a bit too far in-depth considering how little we learned though. Still, solid first issue. Less out there than the rest of the YA line so far. Feels like an R-rated Batfamily title kinda. Nothing wrong with that though. Will keep up with it.

TheFlow

Banned
Invinicble Iron man

I think this Bendis at his peak. He cut back on the excessive use of words while still making the dialog impactful. The art and panel layout is wonderful. like the way the action is handled is so clear and awesome. I like this suit she uses for the first issue. Also her growing up in Chicago as a black girl was definitely hit on. I almost cried when we found out her backstory. She has a strong reason for wanting to be a hero, and her help wasn't random giving what happened in the last ironman book.

I think Bendis has a hit on his hands.

5/5

We're going to have to put the past behind us and come together as a comics forum where half the people still read bad cape books.

I just read Solo #1 so I'm doing my part

Actually not a horrible comic but not a good one either. Just bland as fuck which I guess is what I should have expected from a book about Solo. No hooks at all, the last page twist is
SHIELD considers Solo expendable
. Woahhh never would have seen that coming.

They are playing the long game here (weird choice), hence, with this book almost certainly already canceled there is no reason to continue this one five issue arc, where it seems they will be setting up all the stuff they had mapped out and then rushing through it in a sloppy final issue. Dropped.

I think instead of Solo #2 I am going to buy Mega Princess #1 which sounds like it should hit the spot today

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The backlog builds slowly when you only buy a 4 or 5 books a week but here it is so far.....

Hex11 #8
The Black Monday Murders #2
Glitterbomb #2
Monstress #7
Lazarus #25
Shutter #23
Black Science #25
The Fix #6
Kill or be Killed #3
I Hate Fairy #10
Manifest Destiny #24
Rumble #15
Spread #17
Black Hammer #4
Birthright #20
Chew #59
Lake of Fire #3
Saga #39
Wayward #17
Seven to Eternity #2
Surgeon X #2
Animosity #3
Deadly Class #23
Nailbiter #26
Southern Bastards #15
The Wicked + The Divine #23
Revival #44
The Walking Dead #160
Violent Love #1
Glitterbomb #3

Mother Panic #1 was interesting. They left a lot of dangling threads to expand on next issue so I'm very curious to learn more about Violet and her life. The bio in the back probably goes a bit too far in-depth considering how little we learned though. Still, solid first issue. Less out there than the rest of the YA line so far. Feels like an R-rated Batfamily title kinda. Nothing wrong with that though. Will keep up with it.
I love the bios because they make me feel like I'm reading a DC comic from the 90's

Heads up digital comicsgaf.

My bank just notified me that CMX charged me six times for my books this morning. Trying to rectify the situation with CMX now, but you might want to look into this yourselves in case it's not just me.

TheFlow

Banned

World of Wakanda #1

Ah at long last the issue we have been waiting for is here. Before I begin let me say that this book is very different from the BP run. The dialog is a lot simpler, characters think more within their heads, and the art is not up to par when compared to BP.

Now on to the good stuff.

The World of Wakanda is split into 3 different narrations or 2 to make it simpler. The first half is a very cool Dora Milaje recruitment, training, and rite of passage. We basically learn how the Dora Milaje become who they are. During this time we are introduced to two characters from Coate's BP run. Ayo and Aneka aka the ones who rebelled against the king/old Dora Milaje traditions and stole the elite midnight angel armor. This is their origin story and how they first became lovers.

Then we skip over across to Niganda which is the poorer country that touches Wakanda. Here we find Zenzi who is one of the main antagonist of Coate's BP run. As you know Killmonger experimented on a lot of his people she was one of them. She survived his rule as a little child. She blames Wakanda for making Niganda poor and upstarting people like Killmonger. Her origin is also pretty solid.

Together these origins and flashbacks come together to flesh out Coate's BP run and the world of Wakanda all together. I think this is the perfect companion book for people reading BP. Hell I might even suggest you read you this issue first before starting BP.

Another cool thing that makes the book but should be spoil tag is
This takes place during Avengers vs X-men. we see Namor flooding the eyes of Wakanda and ect through the eyes of its citizens.

overall 4/5. Would of been perfect but the art, and romance stuff was a tad too cheesy for people who just met.

I think the spider Gwen thing is just Rodriguez angry about Trump. Marvels head honcho donated a lot of cash to Trump and I guess RR is using Gwen as a stand in for individuality and being different etc.

Playing gears horde to take my.mind off the crazy world ha

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
My pull list for today, dropped a few comics

James Bond #11
James Bond Hammerhead #2 (Of 6)

All-Star Batman #4
Detective Comics #944
Hal Jordan And The Green Lantern Corps #8
New Super-Man #5
Wonder Woman #10

All-New X-Men #15
Captain America Steve Rogers #7
Clone Conspiracy #2
Daredevil #13
Invincible Iron Man #1
Star Wars Poe Dameron #8
Uncanny Avengers #16

DeathStroke #6 [5/5]

The art in this issue is the best it ever was since Rebirth. This is great. The supporting cast for this book is what makes it great. Wintergreen reminds Sully from Uncharted which isn't a knock. I loved dialog and the issue start to make connections to certain events. Can't say more without spoilers but people should read this book.

Edit: My bad issue numbering I got excited.

Best Rebirth book for sure. if you aren't reading it you're screwing up. This was even better than the Batman issue.

Top Bottom