• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Finally cracked out the third Jason Aaron Thor OHC, with she Thor. I think everyone has read this stuff so won't say too much, just that I really enjoyed that I read so far. I finished up through issue 4. Great writing as always, Aaron continues to push at the edges of the Thor mythos and create new areas of the legend, expand what it means to be Thor and Dauterman, God damn. Absolutely fantastic! He really brings it to life. I wish he had worked on the league of realms arc instead of Garney.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
anyone got that image with the reading order for cosmic marvel that had annihilation war et

VanWinkle

Finally cracked out the third Jason Aaron Thor OHC, with she Thor. I think everyone has read this stuff so won't say too much, just that I really enjoyed that I read so far. I finished up through issue 4. Great writing as always, Aaron continues to push at the edges of the Thor mythos and create new areas of the legend, expand what it means to be Thor and Dauterman, God damn. Absolutely fantastic! He really brings it to life. I wish he had worked on the league of realms arc instead of Garney.

I really need to get this soon!

anyone got that image with the reading order for cosmic marvel that had annihilation war et

That image just gives me a headache, lol.

This one?

N7OXfyI.jpg

I really need to get this soon!.

It's really good man, you won't be disappointed at all. It's a little jarring for a few pages if you're coming right from the second book, but as long as you have the vaguest notion of Original Sin, it's not a big deal. It continues right on with storylines from the last OHC otherwise. FemThor is really cool too, she's a bit more quipy but full of heart, it's fun.

Picked up Flintstones #5, Motorgirl #1 and Lady Mechanika #2 from last week, and Cerebus In Hell #0, Batman x TMNT Adventures #1, Scooby Apocalypse #7, All-Star Batman #4, Homies #2 for this week.

Felt good to do something routine and fun today. Life goes on.

ElNarez

Banned
Was Mother Panic good? What about Cave Carson?

Thx

Mother Panic has the potential to get real esoteric in a cool way. Like, not weird, but, very idiosyncratic in the way it tells its story, and that's cool, but at this point it's mostly potential because the first issue does a lot of by the book introductions, which are necessary, but they mean we get less of the cool
conceptual art serial killer
stuff.

Cave Carson is fucking great, it's real heartfelt, but in a world of mundane weirdness where having cave adventures is just a regular-ass buisiness. Can't recommend enough.

Was Mother Panic good? What about Cave Carson?

Thx
Mother Panic is my least favorite so far but it was still good. Very interesting setup and left a lot of loose threads for future issues. It's definitely the most normal book from the line so far, so I think the "too weird!" crowd will like it more.

Cave Carson was really good. Worth checking out.

And I just read Doom Patrol #3 and I'm super impressed. What a fantastic issue and it made me so happy. This is the comic Doom Patrol fans deserve and I'm so excited for more.

Finally got the last volume of Ultimate Spider-Man I needed today. Ended up buying a like new copy off Ebay for 7 quid. Thankfully it's in great condition and surprisingly it's from the first printing in 2006.

Just noticed Zombine's new username. I needed that laugh.

Sanjuro

Got the Batman/TMNT Adventures!

It was alright, not the same as the prior crossover. First issue tries a bit too hard to establish everything. That always seems to throw me off in contrast to telling a straightforward story.

Artwork is clean though.

Lashley

All New X-Men dropped. Story has gone absolutely nowhere. That's now 0 X books on my pull list besides Wolverine.

Cosmic Marvel's long-standing problem is the Guardians core of characters. It isn't just Bendis either. Star-Lord, Drax, Rocket Raccoon and Groot all failed to produce interesting books in the ANAD wave (though the Groot run that preceded it was pretty great). There were interesting books on the margins; Silver Surfer remains great, Venom: Space Knight was good and Nova has long been a pretty solid title with the occasional dip. The problem with Nova has been that it is too earthbound, which will hopefully change with the return of Rich. Venom isn't going to be a cosmic book anymore though...not even the Guardians are, really. That leaves Silver Surfer chugging along, the Gamora book and...? I think that's it. The line could use a kick in the pants...though honestly there hasn't been more than a couple good cosmic books at once in a very long time. Even during the Annihilation books, half the tie-ins were bad.

Is Star-Lord getting a new book? I can't remember. I assume it would have to be set on Earth.

There is interesting potential in the Inhumans for a cosmic book as some others here have noted.

Edit: Oh there's also The Ultimates

Messi

Cosmic Marvel's long-standing problem is the Guardians core of characters. It isn't just Bendis either. Star-Lord, Drax, Rocket Raccoon and Groot all failed to produce interesting books in the ANAD wave (though the Groot run that preceded it was pretty great). There were interesting books on the margins; Silver Surfer remains great, Venom: Space Knight was good and Nova has long been a pretty solid title with the occasional dip. The problem with Nova has been that it is too earthbound, which will hopefully change with the return of Rich. Venom isn't going to be a cosmic book anymore though...not even the Guardians are, really. That leaves Silver Surfer chugging along, the Gamora book and...? I think that's it. The line could use a kick in the pants.

Is Star-Lord getting a new book? I can't remember. I assume it would have to be set on Earth.

There is interesting potential in the Inhumans for a cosmic book as some others here have noted.

Star Lord
Rocket
Gamora

all have #1's next month, Star Lord is by Zdarsky and Anka btw and the first arc is called Grounded as I assume they are still stuck on earth due to bendis.

ElNarez

Banned
Star-Lord's getting a new book, it's Anka and Zdarsky, which, man. I don't know, because a) I bounced off Kaptara pretty hard b) Zdarsky did that Iron Man/Justin Trudeau feature in Civil War II Choosing Sides, and it was meant to be serious, but it was fucking bad.

Messi

Star-Lord's getting a new book, it's Anka and Zdarsky, which, man. I don't know, because a) I bounced off Kaptara pretty hard b) Zdarsky did that Iron Man/Justin Trudeau feature in Civil War II Choosing Sides, and it was meant to be serious, but it was fucking bad.

Howard The Duck was great though.

Anka is meh tho.

Zdarsky also jumped off Kaptara pretty damn quick too.

Lashley

Yeah, I care very little about the Guardians

An inhumans/avengers team in space far from earth would be interesting imo

Star Lord
Rocket
Gamora

all have #1's next month, Star Lord is by Zdarsky and Anka btw and the first arc is called Grounded as I assume they are still stuck on earth due to bendis.

Well I'm not wild about them being stuck on Earth but a good book is a good book. Hopefully it delivers. I haven't enjoyed a Star-Lord solo book since Conquest.

Hmm for Guardians...if he wasn't so busy I'd say Nick Spencer. After reading Foolkiller #1 I think Bemis could totally do it. Maybe Duggan.

This is going to be an unpopular choice but Slott could write a great Guardians book imho

That's only considering the writers they could easily tap.

Edit: ohhhh John Arcudi. Would be dreamy if they could get him

VanWinkle

Finished the Teen Titans by Johns omnibus. So huge. Read the last 580 pages of it today! :eek:

Starting this now. I've been wanting to read this series for awhile. I've heard some good stuff on here.

bXYM0mc.jpg

Boogiepop

Well, I read from the issue where Eric the Red first appears and Havok/Polaris go evil up through the end of the Black Tom Cassidy/Juggernaut arc in Uncanny X-men. And yeah, I'm still enjoying it, with the sentinel arc in the middle there especially hitting me better than it did the first time. Random thoughts: They really leave that whole Eric the Red plot dangling for a while. Like, it's brought up as a big "oh man, my brother's trying to kill me, this is terrible!" and it's a whole thing, but then it's shoved on the back burner for like 5 issues, which is kind of odd. Also funny that Jean leaving and coming back happens just kind of because. Guess she was written off for limited ideas, but then they came up with the Phoenix plot and just kind of threw her back in the mix? Also, huh, I didn't really notice the first time around that Wolverine's healing powers were clearly not established at this point. Can't remember when they first actually pop up, but it especially hit me with Jean's "I'm clearly the person for the job of landing this shuttle, as nobody else could survive this deadly radiation" from the lead into the Phoenix stuff. Like, just beam the ability to fly into Wolverine's head and that whole situation probably would've gone less screwy. BTW, was Misty Knight a well established character before this, or did she first show up as Jean's roommate randomly?

Oh, and it seriously is interesting seeing the reprinted letters. In particular, it's kind of funny that they largely seem to rank Wolverine low at first, but that admittedly does seem to be turning around about where I am. But the biggest bit for me may have been how frank the response to Thunderbird's death was. At first it starts with the kind of bs-ish non-answer of "we strive for realism and sometimes people die," but it then went on to be really honest with something like "we honestly saw the least story potential for him due to overlap in powers and traits compared to the rest of the cast" and then brings up something related to how he was similar to Hawkeye, who had apparently been having difficulties proving popular and needed to be reworked several times around then. Just a lot more open than I usually expect to see from such things, which legitimately caught me off guard.

Edit: Mother Panic is more "normal" and isn't anything too crazy yet, but I'm interested in what it set up and REALLY liked the visual design of it, if nothing else.

Zombine

Banned
Holy crap guys my excitement for Young Animal is through the roof. These books know how to speak to me and my interests. Mother Panic was great and I loved the backup story.

Messi

I fucking loved Invincible Iron RiRi. Art was on point by Caselli. The book takes place after Civil War and hints at something that happened fairly blatantly. So if you want to avoid spoilers you need to wait. Riri is awesome and I want more.

TheFlow

Banned
I fucking loved Invincible Iron RiRi. Art was on point by Caselli. The book takes place after Civil War and hints at something that happened fairly blatantly. So if you want to avoid spoilers you need to wait. Riri is awesome and I want more.

that is better GAF

Top Bottom