• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Yeah, I loved that page.

Hope there's a payoff with the soldier who was "saved"

You're reading form the omnibus, right? Well you'll see some more of Simon in 1948 and toll his salvation has taken, and that leads directly into Vampire which is effectively the sequel to 1947 despite the name change and the volume between them

deleted

Okay sooooo if you read physical you can either grab this

or the three individual trades. Both 1946 & 1947 (especially 1947, AMAZING) deal with the vampires. 1948 kind of sidesteps around them for a volume, but features the lead character involved in the vampire stuff 1947, and the following book:

This one changes the name to vampire because it basically is the start of a proper spin-off into the vampire stuff (the historical BPRD stuff has jumped off into a separate thing, HB & the BPRD 1952 being the first of those). I would read all 4 if possible, but 1947 & Vampire are the best of the bunch. So far there is just the one volume of Vampire, but the overall plan is for there to be two more, although there is no formal time frame for that stuff to happen and be completed. The last word I heard is after the current Casanova mini wraps up, it's what the Ba & Moon Bros. will do next.

just read 1947 yesterday, was very good

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

No bother dude, if you have any other questions about the other books etc., just ask. I just happened to be on and we got talking about this stuff, but there's a whole bunch of folks in here that love the books and are super knowledgeable.

Also, I got this on hand beside me for reference material :L

migbookstbj9e.jpg

Donnie you gotta upgrade to the Library Editions. Nicest hardcovers I own.

I really should! They are truly beautiful and put my trades to shame haha. Especially because I pull those out all the time & some have been through two house moves by now, they have all sorts of little dunts at the top and bottoms of the spines. I didn't really get heavy into the books until I'd read/already had the first 6 HB's though so I already had started off on those (it was Strange Places that really sent me on the mission), and then for the longest time it was all about catching up with the other stuff. It's only really been the last year or two that I've been comfortably/consistently up to date with the trades as they release.

I think 2017 might be the year though. I've been thinking of switching the 1940s trades to 1940s HC before it goes out of print and then maybe the HB library editions.

All that Hellboy is going to rot your brain!

There's Rumble on the Image shelf above, that balances it out right?

Click

...which is an opportune time to remind everyone that Rumble is easily one of the best image books going today!

(Kind of wishing I had put Wytches right beside it and told you they were ordered as favourites now)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You're reading form the omnibus, right? Well you'll see some more of Simon in 1948 and toll his salvation has taken, and that leads directly into Vampire which is effectively the sequel to 1947 despite the name change and the volume between them

Ideal, I'll read 1948 tonight

Is it actually any good? It's coming out at such a slow click I keep forgetting it exists haha. I'll probably get the collection if it's even passable, just out of sheer interest

When I read the first 3 issues it bored me to tears

Cannibal #2: Yeah, this is looking like a dud. Dropped.

The premise of this story disposes of some of the more nonsensical tropes of zombie fiction - for example, you don't need to worry about the story going on for so long that rotting corpses would literally decay and not be a problem anymore (hi, TWD) - but it actually makes certain others even more problematic. For example, why
would a "cannibal" bite a victim and leave them alive to become another cannibal? Nobody seems to like being a cannibal. And this seems like an easy way to expose yourself. I understand it is a leap between biting someone and killing someone, but it doesn't make sense in the context it is presented. And I kinda figure, it's a leap between biting someone and actually taking a bite out of someone, and eating it, so maybe killing shouldn't be such a problem at that point.
In any case it's dumb. And the pacing is miserably slow. Can't recommend.

edit: also, I kinda feel like, if you're going to offer a "real world zombie" scenario, you need to present real world solutions. Nobody seems to be doing anything about the cannibal problem, and people are so terrified of self-reporting that they'd rather become serial killers than turn themselves in. This does not really reflect the book's premise of "zombies that feel remorse." If people who are found to be cannibals disappear and there are rumors of horrific experiments happening to them, well, that gets us part of the way there, but this isn't really suggested anywhere in either of these issues. It makes far more sense for the government to incentivize self-reporting by reassuring people that doing so is the right thing and they'll just be taken to a special facility where they can live out their lives in peace (even if that's not true).

Zombie stories rarely...okay, never...make sense, but they make so little sense that it's usually not a big deal. Cannibal is trying to make sense and that's causing a lot of problems for it.

Ideal, I'll read 1948 tonight

When I read the first 3 issues it bored me to tears

Haha oh dear, that bad, huh? Maybe that's why no one is discussing it haha. I wouldn't be shocked if it's selling as one of those odd books people outside of comics think will be worth something one day so they're buying it up?

Unworthy Thor

Does this book have anything I should know from the Thor Secret Wars books? I think I bailed on those, but I remember the dude in the end from it so it made me think I should go back and read those.
The only thing you need to know is the ending, which you actually saw in the main Secret Wars book and they say in Unworthy Thor #1. I'd recommend reading Thors anyways because it's really good, but I'll tell you the ending amyways:
Jane Thor rouses the Thor Corps causing a massive divide. Everypne starts fighting each other while many of them charge Doom along with everyone else. The main character of Thors, Ultimate Thor, allies himself with Jane and helps lead the charge. He's killed during it and his hammer manages to end up on the current 616 Earth.

Magneto abandoning mystique was so abrupt and awkward
Yeah it's not a great movie. Action's fun and some of the casting was pretty on point. Plus, color coded costumes!
I should get the Wisconsin one, but I dunno what it is.

Oh shit though:

They remembered he existed. Odd choice though

The only thing you need to know is the ending, which you actually saw in the main Secret Wars book and they say in Unworthy Thor #1. I'd recommend reading Thors anyways because it's really good, but I'll tell you the ending amyways:
Jane Thor rouses the Thor Corps causing a massive divide. Everypne starts fighting each other while many of them charge Doom along with everyone else. The main character of Thors, Ultimate Thor, allies himself with Jane and helps lead the charge. He's killed during it and his hammer manages to end up on the current 616 Earth.

Ohh, ok. Yeah that helps. I will probably go back and read. I liked what I read, but I ended up getting so worn out by SW(that I was reading on Unlimited) I ended up dropping a lot of the books and just reading ANAD.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Ohh, ok. Yeah that helps. I will probably go back and read. I liked what I read, but I ended up getting so worn out by SW(that I was reading on Unlimited) I ended up dropping a lot of the books and just reading ANAD.

From what I remember Thors was among the best received of all of the side stories. My only problem with it was the ending being so directly tied into the main book.

Oh shit though:

They remembered he existed. Odd choice though

50's a big number, they had to dig deep.

Captain Hydra #7: It's honestly obnoxious what an incredible range Nick Spencer has. He's just too good. The same guy that wrote Superior Foes and is writing the Fix is also writing these dramatic, intense and gripping Captain America titles. The basics, the essentials of storytelling, seem to come so naturally to him that he is able to layer any genre, any subject, over his style and come out with something really damn good.

Although this was a good issue, I wasn't as into it as some others here seemed to be. I certainly do not feel that Cap
has gotten into some 4D chess shit or anything yet
. The big twist at the end is pretty normal comics stuff. What's important is how Cap uses these resources to execute his plan, and man, I can't wait to see that. Promising start to this arc and I'm dying to know where all of this is going.

Re: the flashbacks.
The color change, that has to be a big deal, right? I think this is the first time we've seen a "green dream." What do you guys think this means? Is it the change in setting, or is this when Steve started to feel true loyalty to Hydra?

Fucking relevant issue for Americans, by the way. Some of this dialogue cuts deep.

Captain Hydra #7: It's honestly obnoxious what an incredible range Nick Spencer has. He's just too good...The basics, the essentials of storytelling, seem to come so naturally to him that he is able to layer any genre, any subject, over his style and come out with something really damn good..

Oh dear haha. Do you feel this way AND have read morning glories, or no morning glories?

Oh dear haha. Do you feel this way AND have read morning glories, or no morning glories?

No Morning Glories :) Well, I read a couple of issues. I know I'm laying it on a bit thick, I just can't believe this is the same dude who wrote Superior Foes. They're both so good and so different. Even the Cap books themselves are totally different and they're both amazing.

Compare to a writer like Brubaker, one of my all-time favorites, but who tends to dwell in the same settings and genres most of the time, and who comes out a little wonky when he stretches too hard.

I honestly can't speak too much of Spencer's marvel output, I think it's only secret avengers and avengers world I read, I was just interested haha. Not that I hate morning glories, in some ways I really like it, but I've also found it deeply flawed in certain ways.

Ill agree on Bru too btw. Love him to death, huge fav but I think he's good at what he does, he's definitely a genre writer, as good as he is.

I k ow we have talked about this before because I brought it up a few years ago. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what, but I'm reading issues of comics and I'm having a hard time remembering previous stuff going on. I have TV shows, about 15-20 comics a month, videogames, Star Wars novels and I wonder if my brain can't handle it all. Do you remember most of what you take in or am I trying to take in too much.

Clone Conspiracy #2: Oh thank god. It got good.

So...the Jackal. It
has to be a Peter clone or a Peter from another dimension, right? Seems obvious at this point that it isn't Miles, and that's the only way I can see his motives/actions making sense.

Great week for the Spider-books.

I k ow we have talked about this before because I brought it up a few years ago. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or what, but I'm reading issues of comics and I'm having a hard time remembering previous stuff going on. I have TV shows, about 15-20 comics a month, videogames, Star Wars novels and I wonder if my brain can't handle it all. Do you remember most of what you take in or am I trying to take in too much.

Ha, well, yes. This is a huge problem for me. It's one of the reasons I am so grateful for the advent of recap pages and wish DC would get on it already. I have to go back and review alllll the time.

Do you remember most of what you take in or am I trying to take in too much.

I don't really have any issues like that. After I read / watch it, I pretty much just file it away and don't think about it until the next issue / episode, then it all comes back to me fine. Though with Netflix being a thing, you can binge on shows and not have to wait a week between episodes.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I forget everything, which has been showcased in this thread recently

That's fair, but it's one of the better ones.
From what I remember Thors was among the best received of all of the side stories. My only problem with it was the ending being so directly tied into the main book.

50's a big number, they had to dig deep.

I think the last thing Tigra was in was a couple issues of Bunn's Fearless Defenders as a background piece. Then again she was in the core lineup of the 90's

If it gets to the point I forget what happened in the last issue, I drop it. If I don't care enough to remember what's going on, I probably don't like it that much to begin with.

Morning Glories sure had nice art. But I bailed around issue 35 because I still didn't know what the fuck was going on. I probably should have dropped it before that.

And apparently there's still another 50 issues to go? The fuck haha I liked the prospect of this kind of homage to Lost but kids in a weird school but just huh, the ways he tells it, just doesn't seem to fit a comic and comic release schedules even nearly.

You have to wonder what Captain America would say about Americans voting in Trump.

Oh, I don't think Spencer will let this pass without comment. I would take that to the bank in fact.

Strangely enough they do "Last time on X!" quick video recaps on twitter/instagram for a bunch of books as a way to promote the upcoming issue.

That is really strange.

I feel like Didio would rather eat a pile of donkey shit than admit Marvel had a game-changing idea that everyone should adopt

Malyse

DC not having recap pages is still so weird.

CBR: The Line it is Drawn reacts to the election

Honestly, sometimes it feels like I missed an issue, particularly with the frequency of a DC character's story line suddenly gallivanting off to another book.

Personally, I try to love everything, but I really hated it. It was Penn Jillette performing verbal fellatio on himself and it was just not good. I especially hate that it's coming at the detriment of the Itsy Bitsy story, which I was actively enjoying.

Top Bottom