• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Owzers

Definitely recommended.

I moved on to Birthright after Tuesday...the worst day of this week. I liked it outside of half the plot,
I'm split on "i'm saying this, but i'm really doing this" plotlines. Luckily more is going on, flashbacks to Terranos...okay not that much more because Mikey's reunion with his family was flat throughout the book outside of one "thanks dad" line that was timed well.

The ending page could possibly add something to the next volume that was missing here, so i might continue. Should i continue?

Messi

Definitely recommended.

I moved on to Birthright after Tuesday...the worst day of this week. I liked it outside of half the plot,
I'm split on "i'm saying this, but i'm really doing this" plotlines. Luckily more is going on, flashbacks to Terranos...okay not that much more because Mikey's reunion with his family was flat throughout the book outside of one "thanks dad" line that was timed well.

The ending page could possibly add something to the next volume that was missing here, so i might continue. Should i continue?

If the first volume didn't get you then no. Drop it.

The most dangerous thing about Steve is that he's such a great strategist/tactician, which Spencer has captured perfectly, and it makes for an amazing read.
It's genuinely terrifying because you go "Oh no Steve! Don't! Well, at least they'll fight b-aaaaaand they're gone." It's also the most, "I have no idea what will happen next," book that I'm reading right now.
The first three hold up, but Damien's not much like Michaelangelo, lol.
My exposure to Damien hasn't been that extensive, but I kind of see Damien as being somewhat similar. Aside from the superficial stuff, like having a penchant for video games, Damien has begun to seem kind of like Pre-murder Jason Todd. He has fun with it. He's sarcastic and jokes around a lot and lords his superiority over you, but whereas Jason treated it as a venting process and more of a thrill, Damien treats it like a job. He's basically like, "I'm a fucking superhero. Deal with it." I think that motivation makes him unique amongst the other Robins in that way.

Michaelangelo is also a bit similar. He treats being a ninja like being a superhero, and while he'd rather not fight, he enjoys beating the hell out of bad guys and bragging about how much better he is than them. I think, to that end, Damien and Mikey share a decent amount. Of course like I said, my exposure to Damien has been fairly minimal, so I'm probably wrong, but that's how I see it.
Is Wonder Man dead? I haven't seen him in a while.
Rogue absorbed him during Remender's Uncanny Avengers. When she did this, however, he didn't leave and was permanently absorbed entirely (probably having to do with him being made of energy). I'm not sure what's happened after that, as I haven't really read much of the current Uncanny Avengers.

Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1: Ehhh I don't think I will be continuing with this. If this book were more in line with its title and more about exploring the history of Wakanda - the
map page
gave me a little thrill, and I spent quite awhile gazing at it - I would be into it, but I'm not so in love with the supporting cast of Black Panther that I need to read a book about them. And the creative isn't nearly as strong as BP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Black Panther: World of Wakanda #1: Ehhh I don't think I will be continuing with this. If this book were more in line with its title and more about exploring the history of Wakanda - the
map page
gave me a little thrill, and I spent quite awhile gazing at it - I would be into it, but I'm not so in love with the supporting cast of Black Panther that I need to read a book about them. And the creative isn't nearly as strong as BP.

but...but... lesbians

deleted

Glad you liked it! Couldn't disagree any more about the stuff in your spoiler tags coming from nowhere and going no where, but to each their own. Imo the beauty of those three Fegredo volumes is what they introduce seems left field but it was always there:
Being tied to England in a very special way is there from the day they mentioned his mother was a witch who gave herself to a duke of hell, when he bleeds and the lilies sprout etc
As for going nowhere, I don't know what to say. I think there is a lot of satisfaction in the resolution to the three book arc, as well as on a larger level. The fairy folk finally come to the forefront, HB puts his business with the dragon to bed in a manner of speaking, it furthers the core ideas that have driven Hellboy; The doomed hero; Rejecting destiny. In an even broader way, what happens to HB and England has reverberations for years down the line, in both the HB book after and the BPRD/Abe series. Mike's storytelling and what he's getting at and where it came from can often be very subtle though behind the big fight scenes and one liners, and on a certain level up for interpretation if we're speaking thematically, so I appreciate it's not for everyone. Imo one of the major strengths is how he mixes in so many cultures myths and legends in this natural tapestry that would seem odd on paper but he presents it in a way that makes sense. Bear in mind too, you may have finished the library, but that's not the end of HB's story, In Hell does continue it.

The "and other stories" volumes are fantastic though, I do give you that, so many of them are so short and concise and really boil Hellboy down to it's essence about what makes it work. I love when they include the little explanations too for where Mike got the idea or what he changed etc

smh, the last big trilogy is the best thing about that run

Well - it's not like I buy these to only read them once. I expect to like them a bit more on my second read through when I know where the whole thing is headed. But after being hyped up for the last three stories so much, I was just expecting something completely different. I also never got too much into Marvel/DC comics (aside from the Hawkeye run and the occasional book) and that run felt a little closer to that than the usual Hellboy style.

I'm looking forward to the eventual Hellboy Library 7 :)

Is the BRPD stuff worth diving into? Do they have short stories too?

Well - it's not like I buy these to only read them once. I expect to like them a bit more on my second read through when I know where the whole thing is headed. But after being hyped up for the last three stories so much, I was just expecting something completely different. I also never got too much into Marvel/DC comics (aside from the Hawkeye run and the occasional book) and that run felt a little closer to that than the usual Hellboy style.

I'm looking forward to the eventual Hellboy Library 7 :)

Is the BRPD stuff worth diving into? Do they have short stories too?

Hey, I totally respect your opinion man, I just don't agree at all. I couldn't imagine a book that was less like a cape book (well, Marvel and DC do put out a lot of different stuff, so I assume you mean a tradition superhero book with that comparison).

Expectations can be a difficult thing though. Obviously we're not on the same page with HB, but for example, I was REALLY let down by Breaking Bad's ending the first time I watched it. I just expected something different, focus on other characters and in different ways etc, but I've came to love it once I knew what the ending was, and could start to mentally explore that and what Gilligan & co. were trying to say with the ending. Accepting they weren't saying what you wanted them to say and then exploring what they did have to say has been a process for me with a lot of fiction (and sometimes it can be the point of the fiction).

Like I mentioned though, I'm having a hard time getting on the same page (which we don't have to be, and that is cool). It's one thing to say you didn't like where it went and the tone it took in the end, I can understand that. We all have different tastes. When we start to break it down though and say the book has plot ideas that came from literally nowhere and went nowhere, and that it was somehow in the style of your typical marvel book - I just don't think that's correct, which I know is a dangerous thing to say, differentiating facts and opinions etc but Civil War 2, this is not. I think it's entirely in line with what Hellboy has always been an exploration of. I won't go on, but I did an entire reread of the Mignola line in October and made a lot of posts in the October OT, if you're interested, you can probably glean more of what I think from there.

As for BPRD, I think it's fantastic. Right after the first story, Hollow Earth, there is a short run of short stories, but by and large, it has definitely consistently been more concerned with sticking to it's main narrative throughout the years. There are plenty of stories that slow down and get inside various characters' minds, but by and large there is always the main plot going on too, oppose to the total sidesteps Hellboy has taken. I would recommend it, but if I'm being honest, if you don't like the turn HB takes, you will probably like BPRD even less.

Speaking of the BPRD, last issue on Wednesday :eek:

Tizoc

Pardon the quick dive but BPRD is of course really good and worth getting. Where Hellboy series focused primarly on Hellboy himself and the trials he goes through, BPRD works to expand on the world of Hellboy.
BPRD is character focused/centric and its characters push the plot forward. What I like most about BPRD is how the characters are not deterred by the chaos that befalls the world and they soldier through in the end.
The characters have their flaws but they all have their moments that make you like them even more.
tumblr_nqsiizUWpr1uv3pwbo6_1280.png

deleted

Hey, I totally respect your opinion man, I just don't agree at all. I couldn't imagine a book that was less like a cape book (well, Marvel and DC do put out a lot of different stuff, so I assume you mean a tradition superhero book with that comparison).

Expectations can be a difficult thing though. Obviously we're not on the same page with HB, but for example, I was REALLY let down by Breaking Bad's ending the first time I watched it. I just expected something different, focus on other characters and in different ways etc, but I've came to love it once I knew what the ending was, and could start to mentally explore that and what Gilligan & co. were trying to say with the ending. Accepting they weren't saying what you wanted them to say and then exploring what they did have to say has been a process for me with a lot of fiction (and sometimes it can be the point of the fiction).

Like I mentioned though, I'm having a hard time getting on the same page (which we don't have to be, and that is cool). It's one thing to say you didn't like where it went and the tone it took in the end, I can understand that. We all have different tastes. When we start to break it down though and say the book has plot ideas that came from literally nowhere and went nowhere, and that it was somehow in the style of your typical marvel book - I just don't think that's correct, which I know is a dangerous thing to say, differentiating facts and opinions etc but Civil War 2, this is not. I think it's entirely in line with what Hellboy has always been an exploration of. I won't go on, but I did an entire reread of the Mignola line in October and made a lot of posts in the October OT, if you're interested, you can probably glean more of what I think from there.

As for BPRD, I think it's fantastic. Right after the first story, Hollow Earth, there is a short run of short stories, but by and large, it has definitely consistently been more concerned with sticking to it's main narrative throughout the years. There are plenty of stories that slow down and get inside various characters' minds, but by and large there is always the main plot going on too, oppose to the total sidesteps Hellboy has taken. I would recommend it, but if I'm being honest, if you don't like the turn HB takes, you will probably like BPRD even less.

Speaking of the BPRD, last issue on Wednesday :eek:

I'll definitely read through your October posts, I love some insight and a different POV on the books. I'll have to read them again. Since I kinda rushed through it the first time, I might not have picked up all the underlying themes. My opinion is also not set in stone, it was more of a first impression..

And you're absolutely right about expectations. That's why sometimes, spoilers can absolutely helpful for the enjoyment of media. You might not get the surprise effect, but since you can adjust your expectations towards what will be happening, you won't be too disappointed when it doesn't happen.

And I still liked it. A lot! It's just that I had more to criticize during the longer running interwoven stories.
The only thing I actively dislike, is the nudge towards other comics I have to buy to get the full picture. That's what I meant with Marvel/DC comics. No matter the characters, I like stories that stand for themselves a lot more. There is one site in the end where it's: 'And that's why Ape and the BRPD took all these preparations and had to do what they did.' Without any explanation what they actually did. It's just one panel of cross reverence without any merit for me, since I don't know what is going on. If these characters are incorporated into the actual Hellboy story and I can find out more in another place, that's a different thing. This was just a commercial woven into the story.

What was your favourite story then btw? I really love the three wishes, I feel like that has a bit of everything. The actual three mermaids and the bog roosh wishes stuff has that core strength of the smaller stories, but they manage to wrap it up in some of the greater lore, and I love the underwater fights, really creative. Imo it's one of the best Mike has done in terms of art too, absolutely beautiful along with Stewart's colours. The ending
when the jars break is gorgeous and it's pretty haunting with the mermaid left there doomed.

Solo stories, the crooked man always jumps out at me. Corben's art is creepy as shit in that one, and I don't know much American folklore, really cool.

deleted

That's a tough one. I can't really pin it down. The Crooked Man was pretty awesome. I really like the tone, the art and the story itself.

Makoma is another one that stood out to me. The art was phenomenal and transported a sense of vastness. I really liked the story too..

Another one is the most recent Vampire one where they set up the vampire conspiracy. Loved the idea, like the depiction of vampires and the art was refreshingly different and worked really well for the atmosphere.

The BRPD picture is pretty good up there btw. I might have to look into that.

Deathstroke

Can someone tell me what the fuck is going on in this book?!

Every time I think I have a grasp on everything going on some shit happens that completely throws me off. Why does Slade seem to not care that the dude has his armor? Literally everything with his son has now confused the hell out of me. At first I thought Ravager's boyfriend was who put the hit on her by the phone call at the end of the last issue but now Slade admits it was him. Who was the dude talking on the phone to then?

I'm so god damned confused. I never know what I'm an idiot for missing or what is actually supposed to be a reveal or surprise because it seems like no one in the book actually reacts to shit that they should react to. It makes me feel like I'm constantly not understanding anything.

Spider-Woman

It's good to have this book back to where it should be. Glad to see Jess go back to the villain's wives town. It was a nice touch.

Unworthy Thor

Does this book have anything I should know from the Thor Secret Wars books? I think I bailed on those, but I remember the dude in the end from it so it made me think I should go back and read those.

Doom Patorl

I can't give enough love for this book. I love everything in it, especially Casey's trip through the comics. This book is just great. Favorite think running right now.

Detective Comics

I really liked this issue but I feel like the explanation of them all being caught in the crossfire was a little weak. One person they specifically said to be used as a guinea pig. That would have nothing to do with Batman. This issue makes me think that it will be Batwing joining instead of Harper as she barely shows up in it, but either way I was going to be happy. Just kind of wanted both. Maybe trade out Harper for Spoiler if Spoiler is having issues.

Mother Panic

Not really sure I like this one. I just don't think it did a very good job at setting up the protagonist for a first issue, and I really wasn't feeling the art. Also villain seems a lot like the Daredevil villain in a way.

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Maybe the first issue of this run that wasn't absolutely amazing. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't have what the last few issues had. The comedy and the fun. It was more of an exposition issue and basically set everything up to really get the book moving. It was needed but overall just wasn't as good as the book has been up to this point.

Invincible Iron Man 1

So I really like Riri, but I don't think I like her 'origin' story. All the stuff with her friend and stepdad just seemed to forced and heavy handed. Why couldn't we just have a super genius girl with a happy family? We really needed her to have a tragic backstory? Meh, I look forward to the next issue, but really didn't care for about half of this first issue.

These posts are so much easier when I actually take notes while I read.

I love the vampire thread that runs through the HB universe, I can't wait for Ba and Moon to get back and do vampire vol. 2. I remember awhile back discussing with someone why is Baltimore not just set in the mignolaverse but when you figure out the vampire stuff, you see how they couldn't really match up. The bprd 1940s and vampire book have a lot more on that. Also reminds me that there is one "and other stories" volume in the bprd Hell on earth series and it has a really great weird story connected to the vampires set in modern day. It's really odd haha I love.it, with beautiful art by Jason Latour.

BPRD is really great, Tiz nails it when he says it's super character based, there is this huge epic plot but so much of the backbone is the character relationships and twists and turns. Some really deep heartbreaking stuff from Arcudi over the years. His book he does at Image, Rumble, is really awesome too btw, great writer all around

And yea Makoma! That's really cool. I read quite deeply last time.I read that too, try going back to it once you've read all the way to the end of hb and if you go further into bprd, it's quite foreshadowing I think (or I'm just reading into it ha)

TheFlow

Banned
map page
Pretty much. Writing and art is inferior but I am interested to see wakanda through other people's eyes

Messi

Deathstroke

Every time I think I have a grasp on everything going on some shit happens that completely throws me off. Why does Slade seem to not care that the dude has his armor? Literally everything with his son has now confused the hell out of me. At first I thought Ravager's boyfriend was who put the hit on her by the phone call at the end of the last issue but now Slade admits it was him. Who was the dude talking on the phone to then?

I'm so god damned confused. I never know what I'm an idiot for missing or what is actually supposed to be a reveal or surprise because it seems like no one in the book actually reacts to shit that they should react to. It makes me feel like I'm constantly not understanding anything.

Spider-Woman

It's good to have this book back to where it should be. Glad to see Jess go back to the villain's wives town. It was a nice touch.

Unworthy Thor

Does this book have anything I should know from the Thor Secret Wars books? I think I bailed on those, but I remember the dude in the end from it so it made me think I should go back and read those.

Doom Patorl

I can't give enough love for this book. I love everything in it, especially Casey's trip through the comics. This book is just great. Favorite think running right now.

Detective Comics

I really liked this issue but I feel like the explanation of them all being caught in the crossfire was a little weak. One person they specifically said to be used as a guinea pig. That would have nothing to do with Batman. This issue makes me think that it will be Batwing joining instead of Harper as she barely shows up in it, but either way I was going to be happy. Just kind of wanted both. Maybe trade out Harper for Spoiler if Spoiler is having issues.

Mother Panic

Not really sure I like this one. I just don't think it did a very good job at setting up the protagonist for a first issue, and I really wasn't feeling the art. Also villain seems a lot like the Daredevil villain in a way.

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Maybe the first issue of this run that wasn't absolutely amazing. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't have what the last few issues had. The comedy and the fun. It was more of an exposition issue and basically set everything up to really get the book moving. It was needed but overall just wasn't as good as the book has been up to this point.

Invincible Iron Man 1

So I really like Riri, but I don't think I like her 'origin' story. All the stuff with her friend and stepdad just seemed to forced and heavy handed. Why couldn't we just have a super genius girl with a happy family? We really needed her to have a tragic backstory? Meh, I look forward to the next issue, but really didn't care for about half of this first issue.

Moon Girl is a super genius with a happy family.

TheFlow

Banned
Deathstroke

Spider-Woman

Unworthy Thor

Doom Patorl

Detective Comics

Mother Panic

Red Hood and the Outlaws

Invincible Iron Man 1

Unpopular opinion: warning don't read if you haven't read invincible riri

I think riri being super smart and having a loving family made readers lower their guard. Taking in account that her being smart doesn't mean she lives in a nice neighborhood, and Chicago has more gun deaths in a month than some states have in a year. I think Bendis didn't have to kill her friend and her dad. that was kinda too much, but someone close to her dying to a bullet is not something forced given her circumstances. Not saying she is poor because lord knows you don't have to be poor to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Based off this issue though the deaths are not bringing her down, and she along with her mom are still emotional stable people.

Moon Girl is a super genius with a happy family.

I'm not saying that happy families don't happen, it just seemed like this story set it up to just say "Nah, can't have that!"

Unpopular opinion: warning don't read if you haven't read invincible riri

I think riri being super smart and having a loving family made readers lower their guard. Taking in account that her being smart doesn't mean she lives in a nice neighborhood, and Chicago has more gun deaths in a month than some states have in a year. I think Bendis didn't have to kill her friend and her dad. that was kinda too much, but someone close to her dying to a bullet is not something forced given her circumstances. Not saying she is poor because lord knows you don't have to be poor to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Based off this issue though the deaths are not bringing her down, and she along with her mom are still emotional stable people.

I don't really think the circumstance is forced, so much as the mental state of the character. It seemed like they had a mindset of how they wanted the character and then they worked backwards in a way. It made it all just feel weird to me.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm not saying that happy families don't happen, it just seemed like this story set it up to just say "Nah, can't have that!"

I don't really think the circumstance is forced, so much as the mental state of the character. It seemed like they had a mindset of how they wanted the character and then they worked backwards in a way. It made it all just feel weird to me.

fair enough. I don't know even know what she is like in the previous iron-man book

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #1:

3ldpEtG.gif

Slow start. Can't say I'm feeling enthusiastic since I'm getting a cheap Johnny Quest knockoff vibe but I'll see how this story pans out.

Shade the Changing Girl #2:

b0cPwem.gif

Need more weird mixed in with the teenage drama. Right now it's too safe.

Doom Patrol #3:

FLZmD5F.gif

Ok, ok, NOW this book is going places. Things are all coming together. I don't get it, but I get it.

deleted

I love the vampire thread that runs through the HB universe, I can't wait for Ba and Moon to get back and do vampire vol. 2. I remember awhile back discussing with someone why is Baltimore not just set in the mignolaverse but when you figure out the vampire stuff, you see how they couldn't really match up. The bprd 1940s and vampire book have a lot more on that. Also reminds me that there is one "and other stories" volume in the bprd Hell on earth series and it has a really great weird story connected to the vampires set in modern day. It's really odd haha I love.it, with beautiful art by Jason Latour.

BPRD is really great, Tiz nails it when he says it's super character based, there is this huge epic plot but so much of the backbone is the character relationships and twists and turns. Some really deep heartbreaking stuff from Arcudi over the years. His book he does at Image, Rumble, is really awesome too btw, great writer all around

And yea Makoma! That's really cool. I read quite deeply last time.I read that too, try going back to it once you've read all the way to the end of hb and if you go further into bprd, it's quite foreshadowing I think (or I'm just reading into it ha)

There is a whole vampire book by the Hellboy 'team'? What's it called?

There is a whole vampire book by the Hellboy 'team'? What's it called?

Okay sooooo if you read physical you can either grab this

or the three individual trades. Both 1946 & 1947 (especially 1947, AMAZING) deal with the vampires. 1948 kind of sidesteps around them for a volume, but features the lead character involved in the vampire stuff 1947, and the following book:

This one changes the name to vampire because it basically is the start of a proper spin-off into the vampire stuff (the historical BPRD stuff has jumped off into a separate thing, HB & the BPRD 1952 being the first of those). I would read all 4 if possible, but 1947 & Vampire are the best of the bunch. So far there is just the one volume of Vampire, but the overall plan is for there to be two more, although there is no formal time frame for that stuff to happen and be completed. The last word I heard is after the current Casanova mini wraps up, it's what the Ba & Moon Bros. will do next.

Boogiepop

Awww yeah, it's a minor tweak, but the Comixology sales pages now says clearly when each sale ends (plus how many items are in each sale), making that information much more up-front and easy to access. I'm really happy about that, actually.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Okay sooooo if you read physical you can either grab this

or the three individual trades. Both 1946 & 1947 (especially 1947, AMAZING) deal with the vampires. 1948 kind of sidesteps around them for a volume, but features the lead character involved in the vampire stuff 1947, and the following book:

This one changes the name to vampire because it basically is the start of a proper spin-off into the vampire stuff (the historical BPRD stuff has jumped off into a separate thing, HB & the BPRD 1952 being the first of those). I would read all 4 if possible, but 1947 & Vampire are the best of the bunch. So far there is just the one volume of Vampire, but the overall plan is for there to be two more, although there is no formal time frame for that stuff to happen and be completed. The last word I heard is after the current Casanova mini wraps up, it's what the Ba & Moon Bros. will do next.

just read 1947 yesterday, was very good

just read 1947 yesterday, was very good

I love that one, especially the way the two brothers collaborate. I didn't actually realise the first time I read it a few years back that they trade back and forth with each other on pencils, it's so organic, between the more *real* scenes and the more *ethereal* stuff. Crazy good. Stewart does such a good job of making it all flow together too.

Also, explicit spoiler for certain things featured,so I won't host the pic but my favourite stuff artwise & storywise in the book is when this is going on:

Click

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love that one, especially the way the two brothers collaborate. I didn't actually realise the first time I read it a few years back that they trade back and forth with each other on pencils, it's so organic, between the more *real* scenes and the more *ethereal* stuff. Crazy good. Stewart does such a good job of making it all flow together too.

Also, explicit spoiler for certain things featured,so I won't host the pic but my favourite stuff artwise & storywise in the book is when this is going on:

Click

Yeah, I loved that page.

Hope there's a payoff with the soldier who was "saved"

Top Bottom