• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Bro, I'm already there and I'm loving it.

J9A56CR.jpg

I THINK here's what I still need to get:

Daredevil Vol. 4 and 5
GotG Vol. 3
Hawkeye Vol. 3 (will probably be last on my list)
Ms. Marvel Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2
Thor Vol. 3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
All-New X-Men Vol. 4

Avengers/New Avengers I will be reading via omnibus format. Also, I'm certainly not opposed to the random Complete/Epic/Ultimate collection trades. I'm not 100% not getting those. I'm just not getting regular trades.
They're great quality. I still only have the five Daredevil volumes at the moment. I'm tempted to get the Star Wars ones but I'd quite like a Vader omnibus if they do one. Love Luke and Vader at the bottom of the binding though.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Watching my daughter read comics and noting (not for the first time) that she only ever reads comics in guided view, no matter how big the device she's using is.

I wonder how much the page layouts of artists like Bachalo will matter to a generation raised on guided view. If you don't hit the proper checkmark (she doesn't and doesn't want to) you never even see the layout when you turn the page.

Hey me too!

Bachalo's layout are one of the many reasons I hate him as an artist.

BC went Amazon fishing for Marvel books and collections since they still apparently don't know/care about how many do that before the official PR. Hickman omnibus amongst them.

I'll go sleep now. See you tomorrow when I'm on a 4 day post-exam break and will just relax and install games on the Pro+play Skyrim.

In for the Hickman Avengers omnibus. Glad they're putting in Infinity, because the Infinity Omnibus is one of the worst big books Marvel have ever put out. The physical book I mean, not the story, that was rad.

Also, four day bros unite! Morning shift tomorrow, then no more 'til Wednesday. Picking up my NES Classic Mini tomorrow as well. As far as games, hoping to finish Owlboy and Titanfall 2, and maybe squeeze in Infinite Warfare and a few others. Doctor Strange on Sunday morning and a Christmas shopping trip on the Monday (I like to be done before November is over so I can enjoy December in peace).

Messi

Bro, I'm already there and I'm loving it.

J9A56CR.jpg

I THINK here's what I still need to get:

Daredevil Vol. 4 and 5
GotG Vol. 3
Hawkeye Vol. 3 (will probably be last on my list)
Ms. Marvel Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2
Thor Vol. 3
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1
All-New X-Men Vol. 4

Avengers/New Avengers I will be reading via omnibus format. Also, I'm certainly not opposed to the random Complete/Epic/Ultimate collection trades. I'm not 100% not getting those. I'm just not getting regular trades.

My god I am envious

TheFlow

Banned
BC went Amazon fishing for Marvel books and collections since they still apparently don't know/care about how many do that before the official PR. Hickman omnibus amongst them.

I'll go sleep now. See you tomorrow when I'm on a 4 day post-exam break and will just relax and install games on the Pro+play Skyrim.
swear someone posted this last week.

Mother Panic was really cool, I haven't messed with any of the other YA stuff yet but I'm in for the whole of this. I love Violets character and costume designs, the whole book is great looking really. I'm interested in where this goes. Glad it's set in Gotham as well.

what about that villain! ruthless. We about to get some M rated stuff

tim1138

I made a ComicsGAF club on Xbox and added the following people:

Donnie
Birdie
Spider
Poodle

If anyone else is interested you should be able to find it by searching ComicsGAF.

Watching my daughter read comics and noting (not for the first time) that she only ever reads comics in guided view, no matter how big the device she's using is.

I wonder how much the page layouts of artists like Bachalo will matter to a generation raised on guided view. If you don't hit the proper checkmark (she doesn't and doesn't want to) you never even see the layout when you turn the page.

I avoid using it altogether, personally. Unless I'm trying to see the words on a big spread, and when there's a bunch of small panels, arranged traditionally, on a spread like that, it can enhance my appreciation of the art somewhat. But I always step back and look at the whole image a few times.

Even I read that way a lot just for convenience sometimes. The motion of panels "feels" like something too. There's definitely going to be a new "between the panels" logic emerging in the future.

Digital standard will 100% change the importance or existence of layouts in the future. The same way singles and albums are like different art forms in music... no mix, no peaks and valleys, no build up. Albums comprised of singles aren't even the same as cohesive wholes. The content is the paint, the format is the easel.

There will still be traditionalists doing specialized, artisinal work, but it'll be a niche for premium stuff with it's own creative sensibilities. Who's to say it's better or worse, but something will be lost, and even traditional comics will/do have crossover sensibilities.

VanWinkle

I made a ComicsGAF club on Xbox and added the following people:

Donnie
Birdie
Spider
Poodle

If anyone else is interested you should be able to find it by searching ComicsGAF.

Add me please. BetterOffAlive is my name on there. I don't really play games on there much but still.

Kind of annoying they're not doing a new avengers omnibus volume 2 and are just doing complete collections, will look weird next to my omni. Also excited they're continuing to collect brubaker's cap run.

I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but my daughter gave Mega Princess and Invincible Iron RiRi two big thumbs up! That cross-generational appeal. Good on ya Marvel.

TheFlow

Banned
The other forum I post on a lot, everyone jumped to discord but, decided to go right back to skype. Purely because they have been using it for years.

:/

Awwwwww yisssssss

Never read it, any good?

Godlike.

The first one was great, it hit all the beats a good crossover should. I read the whole thing in one sitting and I couldn't stop smiling for most of it.

Batman/TMNT is the Platonic ideal of crossover comics. All others are to it the shadow it casts on the wall of the cave. Supremely well executed at every step, hit literally every beat it could have possibly needed to without missing a thing. Dumb and cheesy in exactly the right ways. Can't heap enough praise on it.

Captain America Steve Rogers is such a great series
It's a genius book, too.
"Let's make a psychological thriller series."
"Okay, interesting."
"But there's a twist."
"And that is?"
"It's from the bad guy's perspective."
"I'm more interested."
"One more thing: Steve Rogers is said bad guy."

"WHAAAAAAT BOOK IT MOTHERFUCKER"

And the best part is that it is unequivocally Steve in every way. His mannerisms and the way he carries himself is all there. Even his core beliefs are the same, but it's just Steve playing for the other team. It's amazing.
\Batman/TMNT is the Platonic ideal of crossover comics. All others are to it the shadow it casts on the wall of the cave. Supremely well executed at every step, hit literally every beat it could have possibly needed to without missing a thing. Dumb and cheesy in exactly the right ways. Can't heap enough praise on it.
I agree. My only set back with it was that I wish it had been the four Robins and the four Turtles.

Dick > Leo
Jason > Raph
Tim > Don
Damien > Michaelangelo

The similarities are unparalleled. It ended up working out really well, though.

Sandfox

It's a genius book, too.
"Let's make a psychological thriller series."
"Okay, interesting."
"But there's a twist."
"And that is?"
"It's from the bad guy's perspective."
"I'm more interested."
"One more thing: Steve Rogers is said bad guy."

"WHAAAAAAT BOOK IT MOTHERFUCKER"

And the best part is that it is unequivocally Steve in every way. His mannerisms and the way he carries himself is all there. Even his core beliefs are the same, but it's just Steve playing for the other team. It's amazing.

I agree. My only set back with it was that I wish it had been the four Robins and the four Turtles.

Dick > Leo
Jason > Raph
Tim > Don
Damien > Michaelangelo

The similarities are unparalleled. It ended up working out really well, though.
The most dangerous thing about Steve is that he's such a great strategist/tactician, which Spencer has captured perfectly, and it makes for an amazing read.

VanWinkle

I am willing to believe that will happen. That run is special.

We have to get Vision in OHC. Have to.

SS and Vision will be bought DAY ONE if those come to OHC. I'm confident about Vision, and a little less so for SS. But yeah, if they come, I'm there. I'll eventually get Vision in trades if I have to, but I do think a OHC will come soon.

VanWinkle

I own the Bendis GOTG OHCs. Lol. :/. My weakness for the artists he teams with just kills my willpower.

Hahaha. I haven't read them yet, but I got them cheap so I won't be TOO upset if I don't love it. Flipping through it, it DOES have some fantastic art. I mean, Pachelli? Francavilla? Immonen? Come on!

Top Bottom