• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

TheFlow

Banned
Dat DC exclusive writer making the list :p

Marguerite Bennett did a Joker's Daughter one shot that I loved before I knew who Marguerite was. Megan Hetrick killed it on art.
Even I can't deny his writing skills. I have all of Babylon in my unread cart but I am so lazy

Sandfox

Gwenpool is an interesting character because it feels like Hastings captured the core of Deadpool being a tragic, yet jokey character, while making Gwen into her own character. The art for the book is also amazing and fits the book perfectly.

This is totally on me, but I just hate the idea of Gwenpool. Feels derivative and extremely unnecessary. Similar to my feelings on Joker's Daughter. But to be completely clear, I have not given it a chance at all. I just hate the thought of it.

Maybe one day I'll try it and think, "okay, yeah, I can accept what's going on here."

The character itself is actually fine. I just don't think the writing is really special. Most of the gags kind of fell flat (especially the dialogue with things like "Come at me, Ro-BRO!") and the serious bits didn't really work very well for me. I liked when she drew dollar signs on her eyes but... that's the only thing anyone really highlights from it now that I think about it. I don't think it's as good as something like Squirrel Girl or even Howard the Duck (and I wasn't much of a fan of this) when it comes to comedy books from Marvel.

Dat DC exclusive writer making the list :p

Marguerite Bennett did a Joker's Daughter one shot that I loved before I knew who Marguerite was. Megan Hetrick killed it on art.

Haha he's not wrong though. I tried a bunch of books this year from Marvel's current slate, and despite King jumping ship, he put out the best book by far.

I guess I'd have King and Aaron, but I don't know who I'd put below. I guess Lemire, Old Man Logan was probably thing I was most enthused about after those guys, but I'd be lying if I pretended I really enjoyed it or anything. I'd probs just stick at King and Aaron with Vision, Thor and Dr Strange my three favourite marvel books of the year.

Caveat: I've still to try Moon Knight or Black Widow, and both look exciting to me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Tbf Bendis is hit and miss for me, I love his work on Iron Man atm but his Guardians is dull

btw is Homeland good? gonna watch it tonight, well start it

First three seasons of homeland were pretty great.

The other takeaway I had from Thor so far is I would totally read some sort of environmental spy action book from Aaron about Roz Solomon.

mreddie

Aaron, Spencer, Lemire

I think I'm gonna cut myself off from news shows, main channels and the Off topic discussion thread for awhile.

It's just the same thing since Wednesday.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Tbf Bendis is hit and miss for me, I love his work on Iron Man atm but his Guardians is dull

btw is Homeland good? gonna watch it tonight, well start it

Bendis has always been best on solo books. With team books he tends to make them all talk exactly the same and it gets distracting for me.

Messi

Moon Knight is a trip, that alone makes it, I would've said Soule but Inhumans tripped during the CW2 arc and Daredevil is finally on good standing

I really do agree on Daredevil. The most recent arc has been going well and I liked the Elektra issues.

TheFlow

Banned
Isn't Lemire around a while?
Old man Logan is cool but I think he is doing something special on moon knight that makes me think he is about to pull of something truly special.

I love Lemire but I was only judging based off recent marvel work.

Edit: I still think Essex county is his optimus primus

Messi

Old man Logan is cool but I think he is doing something special on moon knight that makes me think he is about to pull of something truly special.

I love Lemire but I was only judging based off recent marvel work.

Ah ok. The way you worded it sounded like he was new to writing lol

Old Man Logan is great but I struggle with the art. I do realize people love it though.

TheFlow

Banned

Old Man Logan is great but I struggle with the art. I do realize people love it though.
Haha nah, and wow guys I just found out that lemire is writing black hammer. If I had known that I would of jumped in already. I blame Donnie.

OML art is very interesting but some of the action panels are hard for me to read the first time because of it

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

yep, sometimes the art is beautiful and sometimes it's a pain to my retinas

Haha. How did you not know that! Can't wait for Black Hammer to hit trade, dark horse too, the trade will be of nice quality. That, Descender & King City all going on next year. And Roughneck, his new ogn. Never mind his alrightish marvel output, Lemire is on fire elsewhere hah.

I'm dead on my feet here so last post of the night before I turn in. Read the first two issues of Mighty Thor...god damn, now we're rolling! This is exactly what I wanted, after two great if cut short/stilted runs, Aaron manages to coalesce all the various sub plots he's had in the wind, Roxxon & Malekith, Laufey, all coming together. I liked even the dose of some quite real feeling politics with the congress of worlds & the state of Asgard under Odin...and motherfuckin
Loki!
. Really great, those two issues felt 100% on point.
And Mjolnir negates Jane's Chemo :( I can see this going sad places. A clever explanation though.

I am absolutely in love with Malekith's war witches btw, how wonderfully creepy looking these three crones are...

latest

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I'm dead on my feet here so last post of the night before I turn in. Read the first two issues of Mighty Thor...god damn, now we're rolling! This is exactly what I wanted, after two great if cut short/stilted runs, Aaron manages to coalesce all the various sub plots he's had in the wind, Roxxon & Malekith, Laufey, all coming together. I liked even the dose of some quite real feeling politics with the congress of worlds & the state of Asgard under Odin...and motherfuckin
Loki!
. Really great, those two issues felt 100% on point.
And Mjolnir negates Jane's Chemo :( I can see this going sad places. A clever explanation though.

I am absolutely in love with Malekith's war witches btw, how wonderfully creepy looking these three crones are...

Your spoiler's broken, but I'm glad you like it! Love that book.

EDIT: Shoot, you beat me to the fix.

TheFlow

Banned
Haha. How did you not know that! Can't wait for Black Hammer to hit trade, dark horse too, the trade will be of nice quality. That, Descender & King City all going on next year. And Roughneck, his new ogn. Never mind his alrightish marvel output, Lemire is on fire elsewhere hah.

I say this every month but I am just about begging for a darkhorse sale. Now that I sold all my physical stuff I wanna rebuy Usagi and hellboy digitally.

Your spoiler's broken, but I'm glad you like it! Love that book.

EDIT: Shoot, you beat me to the fix.

No thanks for letting me know man, I realised and rushed to fix it haha I wouldn't like to ruin anyway for anyone. Don't know how I fucked that up, just so tired haha :| yea, fantastic, can't wait to read the other three tomorrow! Also I feel bad because I haven't wrote much about Dauterman, but his stuff is simply astonishing, the way he can jump from fantasy, to scenes of horror, strong facial expressions, amazing battle scenes and detail, dude can do it all. I love his visualisation of Mjolnir just flying around like a whirlwind beating the shit out of guys too, he has really made the book his own, I don't even miss Ribic at this point.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks for letting me know man, I realised and rushed to fix it haha I wouldn't like to ruin anyway for anyone. Don't know how I fucked that up, just so tired haha :| yea, fantastic, can't wait to read the other three tomorrow! Also I feel bad because I haven't wrote much about Dauterman, but his stuff is simply astonishing, the way he can jump from fantasy, to scenes of horror, strong facial expressions, amazing battle scenes and detail, dude can do it all. I love his visualisation of Mjolnir just flying around like a whirlwind beating the shit out of guys too, he has really made the book his own, I don't even miss Ribic at this point.

Dauterman is great, and Wilson really brings out the best in him. That whole creative team is just the tits.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Messi doesnt like Sorrentino?

You're dead to me Messi.

Top Bottom