• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Messi

That logic makes no sense. You can always reread things and it's a story that deserves seeing its ending.

Besides he made SiP kids so he's already done it.

I've read SiP kids.

I don't re read books and Katchoo is my comfort blanket. I need to know whatever I do more of her story exists. I know it's sad and doesn't make sense.

Plus he's making more in 2018

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Really loving M in X-Factor. This is my first real exposure to her. I read the first few issues of Gen X back in the day it wasn't enough to get a real feel for the character.

Read the first few issues of the complete Punisher max. I hated every single bit of it. I actively didn't want to read it. Not for me in the slightest. I might just give the book to a friend. Whoever here said I would enjoy it must have been taking the piss.

I'm surprised that you would even go for that. I've heard it's quite good but I know it's not something I have an interest in.

Messi

I'm surprised that you would even go for that. I've heard it's quite good but I know it's not something I have an interest in.

I really wish I didn't. But I asked for book recommendations a few months ago and was told I would enjoy it :(

I like Punisher in other books when he shows up but I hate this.

tim1138

I really wish I didn't. But I asked for book recommendations a few months ago and was told I would enjoy it :(

I like Punisher in other books when he shows up but I hate this.

who is God's name thought you would like Punisher Max? I can't think of a book further outside your wheelhouse, and I don't mean that as an insult by any means.

No-one mentioned it last month, but just in case, did anyone pay any mind to Titan's launch of their Hard Case Crime imprint? Basically tapping some noir/crime novelists to try out a small comic line, the first ones to start last month were these:

TriggerMan_1_Cover_B-231x350.jpg
Peepland_1_Cover_B-231x350.jpg

Looking at comic book roundup, they seem to have fared pretty decently with critics but is this dead in the water? No interest from any crime comic fans here? I'm not familiar with any of the talent so I'm not sure what to think ha

Messi

who is God's name thought you would like Punisher Max? I can't think of a book further outside your wheelhouse, and I don't mean that as an insult by any means.

Ah that's what happened. Yeah. I fucked up. I'm giving this book to someone. I didn't expect sunshine and rainbows but this is too dark. Someone gets scalped in the first few pages ffs.

Oh my. Thanks for the reminder that I should pick up that X-23 collection next time I go in.

Vol 2 is next month

Owzers

Rumble vol 1: Great book except the lore didn't make any sense to me and the two page info dump on the backstory about Ivirs and Esu seemed rushed and lacking, throwing out names of Esu races like it's supposed to be a thing that matters.
It sounds like everyone is immortal, but the Ivirs are immortal lords,the Trumps, and the Esus don't want to get deported from their current location? Not sure what Ayatal is doing. Or about much of anything. And that jerk killed Lerna who seemed like a great pet.
That definitely soured the book for me which i really liked otherwise. The art reminded me of Stokoe if other colors existed in the world outside of purple but it was cartoony and expressive and the plot moved quick, with small doses of humor and a lot of action. Really fun book outside of " yeah but what?"

The second volume continues to flesh out the lore/history. Imo, and I'll be light on detail since I've read the second volume and can't immediately recall what issues i get my thoughts from, the book is in part about how history and myth as it is told and how it really occured is often simply a matter of perspective and the victor. What both sides say over the course of volume one is initially confusing and Rathraq definitely comes off as a jerk at time. These things are definitely explored further in volume 2, and while that stuff is initially heady/confusing I love the.moment to moment plot with the characters, the dialogue and the action is so good. Love Harren's work too, never a bad thing to be compared to Stokoe ha

Never. Not until he starts it again. There always needs to be more Katchoo in my life.

I can't believe you haven't finished SiP.

Really loving M in X-Factor. This is my first real exposure to her. I read the first few issues of Gen X back in the day it wasn't enough to get a real feel for the character.

Is Marvel still releasing those Peter David Complete Collections? Last I heard they got out the second volume and that was it.

I really want to read SiP.

You should. It's a lot of reading but well worth it. One of my favorite comics.

Ive really went hardcore with this note taking for comics on my phone. Don't read the text in the pics of you don't want text about 2 issues ago in Detective Comics.

I knew someone would figure out a way to turn comics into work. Yuck.

Ross61

No-one mentioned it last month, but just in case, did anyone pay any mind to Titan's launch of their Hard Case Crime imprint? Basically tapping some noir/crime novelists to try out a small comic line, the first ones to start last month were these:

Looking at comic book roundup, they seem to have fared pretty decently with critics but is this dead in the water? No interest from any crime comic fans here? I'm not familiar with any of the talent so I'm not sure what to think ha

Never heard of these, but I've been interested in Noir/Crime comics and novels so I'll definitely keep my eye out.

I can't believe you haven't finished SiP.

Is Marvel still releasing those Peter David Complete Collections? Last I heard they got out the second volume and that was it.

You should. It's a lot of reading but well worth it. One of my favorite comics.

I knew someone would figure out a way to turn comics into work. Yuck.

I use to do this when I would write mini reviews of every issue I read and posted in this thread. Now I don't post in here that much so i have the time to just write things for myself.

For anyone interested, Multiversity has posted a massive near 3 hour podcast interview with John Arcudi, concerning his career outside the Mignolaverse. Haven't had a chance to listen myself yet but really interested. Next week they have a second part where they will discuss the final issue of BPRD, which will be out this wednesday, and John's entire run on the BPRD; what his goals were, if he reached them, what it was like being part of that creative process with so many moving parts etc.

Click

I believe a third Complete Collection was solicited but never came out. They would have needed as many as 9 for the full run. I wanted to buy them but there was no way the sales would have been strong enough for 9 volumes.

Shame, because I have a nice few CCs and really like the format.

Ross61

So DC confirmed that they don't have any Wonder Woman project with Frank Cho coming. Lmao, that's just pathetic of him.

Just finished reading issues 7-12 of Rachel Rising. He really likes ending these volumes on some mega downers, doesn't he?
Why, Jet?! WHY'D IT HAVE TO BE HER?! It was bad enough she got possessed by that damn demon, but then the demon immediately decides "nah, this body sucks let me go check out this preacher man".
I've noticed that I seem to be interested/care more about every character EXCEPT for Rachel. Hoping that changes soon, what with her being the main character and all. Taking a small break and then probably gonna jump into volume 3.

I believe a third Complete Collection was solicited but never came out. They would have needed as many as 9 for the full run. I wanted to buy them but there was no way the sales would have been strong enough for 9 volumes.

Shame, because I have a nice few CCs and really like the format.

Pity. It was a great series. Would have loved to have it in trade.

Pity. It was a great series. Would have loved to have it in trade.

Marvel's general attitude to their back catalogue is....unfortunate. Like the whole Epic Collection thing, "releasing what's never been collected!", not so great if they're released out of order and the previously released stuff can't be got because trades are never reprinted. The really early stuff is the only stuff that seems to get regular releases, but they repackage them almost every time so certain types of people will feel compelled to buy them again. Digital is great, I'm a big fan, but there are certain runs I would like to own and it's pretty much impossible.

I'm big into DC's re-releases of more recent stuff in nice chunky TPBs, like being able to get runs like Conner/Palmotti Power Girl, Secret Six, Johns Flash, pre-IC Rucka Wonder Woman (finally being able to reasonably get a copy of The Hiketeia!), all that kind of stuff. I saw a New Teen Titans book someone bought here and didn't even know that was being collected that way so I'm slowly picking up those.

Marvel's general attitude to their back catalogue is....unfortunate. Like the whole Epic Collection thing, "releasing what's never been collected!", not so great if they're released out of order and the previously released stuff can't be got because trades are never reprinted. The really early stuff is the only stuff that seems to get regular releases, but they repackage them almost every time so certain types of people will feel compelled to buy them again. Digital is great, I'm a big fan, but there are certain runs I would like to own and it's pretty much impossible.

I'm big into DC's re-releases of more recent stuff in nice chunky TPBs, like being able to get runs like Conner/Palmotti Power Girl, Secret Six, Johns Flash, pre-IC Rucka Wonder Woman, all that kind of stuff. I saw a New Teen Titans book someone bought here and didn't even know that was being collected that way so I'm slowly picking up those.

Yet Marvel released Emma Frost in a Complete Collection and it's still technically in print. Or in stock. Marvel's weird.

I agree on DC though, especially considering I typically find them to have a better value.

Finished The Mighty Thor vol. 1, which takes up me up to issue 5 and
Loki backstabbing Freyja - quite literally
. Fantastic! While Aaron nailed Thor as a character from the outset in 2012, imo the stop start nature of his run, and the additional challenge of a brand new female Thor requiring a lot of the focus in the previous volume, has cock blocked his goal of fleshing Asgard and it's key players from being as truly compelling as the book's lead star. Not so as of this volume. This volume really brought together all his various characters and plots to make Asgard/the ten realms and it's rulers, peoples and status quo really interesting and engaging. Malekith's victories come just a little too easily for him and not quite clever enough for me at times
the light elf queen for example, it's just a little simple how he steals power
but the reintroduction of Loki to the plot as an unpredictable player on the board does wonders.

Some of that might make it sound like I've had a lot of problems with the book, which isn't so, I'm just trying to shown how a great book has managed to make itself even better and sand off its bug bears. Truly a worthy investment of time. Aaron has had the characters and world building down from the word go, the art is incredible and now the early set up in the plot has really begun to pay off. I can't wait to see where it goes next. Jealous of all you guys reading this and Unworthy Thor up to date.

TheFlow

Banned
I just read the first six issues last night as well! I immediately went and bought the other volumes on CMX this morning, with how much of a page turner the first six were I might just end up reading the whole thing over this weekend. This is my first Terry Moore book that I've read and I absolutely love the art. The issues really do seem to just fly by. Been a while since I've just read through a whole volume in one sit down. That elevator scene and the last few pages of issue 6 definitely stuck with me the most.

this is spot on. I am really tempted to just read all of it this weekend

I'm big into DC's re-releases of more recent stuff in nice chunky TPBs, like being able to get runs like Conner/Palmotti Power Girl, Secret Six, Johns Flash, pre-IC Rucka Wonder Woman (finally being able to reasonably get a copy of The Hiketeia!), all that kind of stuff. I saw a New Teen Titans book someone bought here and didn't even know that was being collected that way so I'm slowly picking up those.
I don't believe PAD's hulk run has ever been fully collected in trades. Which makes sense because he had what like a decade long run. Only Claremont has had a run like that traded up

I'm just happy they finally released it all on CMX so I own it there.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I should finish that. I was streaming and got a weird bug that stopped my stream and froze my PC after the end of 3.3. Haven't gone back since.

its bugs galore, I can't do finishing moves with a controller, I have to swap to the keyboard, press A+D and then spam controller buttons so the prompts appear again

its bugs galore, I can't do finishing moves with a controller, I have to swap to the keyboard, press A+D and then spam controller buttons so the prompts appear again

I'd never had any problems before Batman, and I've played nearly all of them. Well, I suppose having to use my 360 or Steam controllers instead of my Xbox One controller is a fairly big problem. But Batman has been a technical mess so far, all the chapters to date I have gotten a game-breaking bug. Which is a shame as everything else is great and the season has been super-enjoyable overall.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Ive really went hardcore with this note taking for comics on my phone. Don't read the text in the pics of you don't want text about 2 issues ago in Detective Comics.

Seems like a lot of work

I'd never had any problems before Batman, and I've played nearly all of them. Well, I suppose having to use my 360 or Steam controllers instead of my Xbox One controller is a fairly big problem. But Batman has been a technical mess so far, all the chapters to date I have gotten a game-breaking bug. Which is a shame as everything else is great and the season has been super-enjoyable overall.

I use a xb1 controller, and there's still problems. It's just really buggy, lags like hell in the batcave where you're looking at the floating map etc too

VanWinkle

Red Lanterns Vol. 4 (I think), the start of Charles Soule's run, was FANTASTIC. Great read. I am looking forward to reading more. Art was the only thing I felt was sort of average, but it wasn't generic average, so that's nice.

Gotham City Sirens Vol. 1 (#1-13) was REALLY good! Dini/March were made for the role, but all of it was great. Started mainly with one-shots, and then we got a couple of small arcs that I enjoyed a lot. I felt like March drew the ladies a bit too sexy/sexualized for my personal comic tastes, but I think that's just the vibe they were going for on this book.

Also just got this in the mail. SO happy to finally have it!
9ibVTcf.jpg

tim1138

I don't believe PAD's hulk run has ever been fully collected in trades. Which makes sense because he had what like a decade long run. Only Claremont has had a run like that traded up

I'm just happy they finally released it all on CMX so I own it there.

How often do you see something on sale and think "oh I should get that" only to log in and see you already own it? It's been happening to me more and more recently

VanWinkle

I said goddamn. You are in for a treat with that one. Definitely one of my favourite runs ever. Sublime stuff.

I'm so happy to have it, man. Got it for $38 through Half Price Books with a 30% off coupon. Pumped to read it. That Perez art is incredible.

Awesome, I absolutely adored Avengers Forever as a kid, I read it so many times. That's in here right?

Yup, that is there! And ALL of this will be new to me.

Haha brilliant! To make the experience even better, remember that before this, readers had this:

Those were dark, dark days. You guys who complain about modern X-Men treatment don't even know you're born. And before that we had shit like the Crossing and 90s Thor (which was so bad, he changed just to wearing his older suit but with no shirt and everyone considered it a VAST improvement):

Not to mention 90s Scarlet Witch:

And of course, while you may complain about X-Men now, your faves were never shunted off to an alternate universe for 18 months as a marketing gimmick.

Top Bottom