• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Hahaha dude. So many memories. I guess we got ours though. To have the magnificence of age of apocalypse, we had to take heroes reborn to balance the scale. That Thor suit lol..

Red Lanterns Vol. 4 (I think), the start of Charles Soule's run, was FANTASTIC. Great read. I am looking forward to reading more. Art was the only thing I felt was sort of average, but it wasn't generic average, so that's nice.
Vitti's art is AVERAGE you say? Sit your ass down, son. That art is perfect for that book. Soule's Red Lanterns is pretty fun

Tomb Raider in 4K mode is sexy as hell. I'm liberally using the screenshot tool, something I've never really done on PS4. The game's solid, too, a very immersive experience. My only hesitation so far is I unwrapped a ton of fake cards that came with the game and have no clue WTF they are. If they're for additional game modes, I doubt I'll care enough to mess with them. Early reviews points to a Tragic 8, or a Birdie 10.

I also ordered Uncharted goodness, but my wife will likely intercept it and giftwrap for the holidays.

Tomb Raider in 4K mode is sexy as hell. I'm liberally using the screenshot tool, something I've never really done on PS4. The game's solid, too, a very immersive experience. My only hesitation so far is I unwrapped a ton of fake cards that came with the game and have no clue WTF they are. If they're for additional game modes, I doubt I'll care enough to mess with them. Early reviews points to a Tragic 8, or a Birdie 10.

I also ordered Uncharted goodness, but my wife will likely intercept it and giftwrap for the holidays.

Yea, the cards are modifiers for the bonus mode, where you do things like play back certain linear part of a chapter and have to get through in a certain time or get x amount of points etc. I didn't bother with it but nice that it's there. Glad you're enjoying it though man, it's a really cool game. Where you at?

Marvel's general attitude to their back catalogue is....unfortunate. Like the whole Epic Collection thing, "releasing what's never been collected!", not so great if they're released out of order and the previously released stuff can't be got because trades are never reprinted. The really early stuff is the only stuff that seems to get regular releases, but they repackage them almost every time so certain types of people will feel compelled to buy them again. Digital is great, I'm a big fan, but there are certain runs I would like to own and it's pretty much impossible.

I'm big into DC's re-releases of more recent stuff in nice chunky TPBs, like being able to get runs like Conner/Palmotti Power Girl, Secret Six, Johns Flash, pre-IC Rucka Wonder Woman (finally being able to reasonably get a copy of The Hiketeia!), all that kind of stuff. I saw a New Teen Titans book someone bought here and didn't even know that was being collected that way so I'm slowly picking up those.

Yeah I came to the comics game late, pretty much everything DC I've wanted has been reprinted or collected or will be in the near future.

I like Marvels ultimate collections but they don't keep them in print. Most of my shopping has been off amazon marketplace or ebay. Thankfully many of the books are super cheap because of overstock (I've gotten omni's 50% off+). Still annoying that stuff like Annihilation book one is out of stock/low numbers while the other two are easily available.

Yea, the cards are modifiers for the bonus mode, where you do things like play back certain linear part of a chapter and have to get through in a certain time or get x amount of points etc. I didn't bother with it but nice that it's there. Glad you're enjoying it though man, it's a really cool game. Where you at?

Early, game says 11% complete. I beat the prologue, set up my base camp, killed me a bear, completed the next zone and the optional shipwreck stage, and just reached the outskirts of the Trump, errrr, I mean Russian, base.

Paused on Dragon Quest Builders (I'm in chapter 4!) and started putting time into Titanfall 2. I have a 1080p TV and the game looks so lovely on the PS4 Pro. The downsampling Ian creating a super clean image.

Working through the campaign and digging it. It's no Doom but it's cool how they incorporated the mobility into the levels. Which is something I was hoping they did when I tried out the first game. Easily the best campaign these guys have done since COD4

All you guys with your pros. Pro bros. Nah, that's awesome, glad you're all having a blast. I decided I'm just leave it. Switch then Scorpio next year for me. Ill truck on with my regular xbox and ps4 for now. I'm finally allowing the kiddo to have a tv in his room this Christmas so maybe a xbox one s to go with that.

All you guys with your pros. Pro bros. Nah, that's awesome, glad you're all having a blast. I decided I'm just leave it. Switch then Scorpio next year for me. Ill truck on with my regular xbox and ps4 for now. I'm finally allowing the kiddo to have a tv in his room this Christmas so maybe a xbox one s to go with that.
Hah. Next year I'm looking at the Switch and a 4K TV. I'm still not sure if I go Scorpio or stick with the OG Xbox one I have now. I don't play anything on it besides exclusives and now those are play anywhere so I've started to move to tv. If they revamp their game installs and get a decent bump for games I own I'll probably do it. I usually end up with all the various toys

I still need to check out the pro improvements with the pro. I've heard good things

I haven't hooked mine up yet. Too lazy. I'll probably do it after I finish Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2.

Hah. Next year I'm looking at the Switch and a 4K TV. I'm still not sure if I go Scorpio or stick with the OG Xbox one I have now. I don't play anything on it besides exclusives and now those are play anywhere so I've started to move to tv. If they revamp their game installs and get a decent bump for games I own I'll probably do it. I usually end up with all the various toys

Haha I'm the same but vice versa, my ps4 only really goes on for exclusives. I was thinking about the pro to get me on there more but I'm trying to get out of that trap of buying everything. As long as I have a Sony machine that lets me play their games, I should be able to resist. Probably. Switch though, woo woo! That will be something. If the 17th is true, it's right before my birthday too :D I'm going to go gangbusters for that

Haha I'm the same but vice versa, my ps4 only really goes on for exclusives. I was thinking about the pro to get me on there more but I'm trying to get out of that trap of buying everything. As long as I have a Sony machine that lets me play their games, I should be able to resist. Probably. Switch though, woo woo! That will be something. If the 17th is true, it's right before my birthday too :D I'm going to go gangbusters for that
Until Nintendo underships it to create their shortages news stories (again!) and you can't find one anywhere.

They even undership their amiibo cards :mad: I preordered those new animal crossing cards weeks ago for release yest and Amazon contacted me to say they undershipped them and it would be a few weeks. ugh.

Zombine

Banned
I can never hate X-Men as a franchise. I can disagree with where they go, but I will still always be down with X related things.

Hagi

Not going to lie I bought a pro and I'm not even sure why, Ratchet and Clank sure does look nice though. I mainly want it for Final Fantasy and Horizon.

I totally forgot that Marvel Unlimited has all the old Dark Horse Star Wars comics on it. Always wanted to finish reading Knights of the Old Republic and start Legacy.

I can never hate X-Men as a franchise. I can disagree with where they go, but I will still always be down with X related things.

The X-Line is currently the worst it's ever been. Even the Austen run was interesting if only because of the horrible characterizations and bad story ideas.

The current run is just boring and aimless.

The X-Line is currently the worse its ever been. Even the Austen run was interesting if only because of the horrible characterizations and bad story ideas.

I wish Bendis was still handling X-men. As much shit as he gets from people, he's a very competent writer. Loved his UXM run with Bachalo. All-New as well, but it felt like the latter went on a bit too long. It was at its best when it was crossing over directly with UXM.

Sandfox

The X-Line is currently the worst it's ever been. Even the Austen run was interesting if only because of the horrible characterizations and bad story ideas.

At least it sounds like they have a plan for the upcoming books lol.

Zombine

Banned

It is...but I can't get over how great it used to be. I miss when X-men used to be on top.

I was discussing with a member earlier that I feel as if Marvel is focusing on lame character books across the board instead of bringing their franchises back to square one. We don't need Blue, Gold, Ice Man, etc. We need Uncanny X-Men, X-Force, and New X-Men/Excalibur. We don't need Bullseye, we need Daredevil to be good again. I'm kind of distraught over how Marvel is fishing for hits/movie & tv plots instead of cultivating talent and letting the brands speak for themselves.

Hagi

I wish Bendis was still handling X-men. As much shit as he gets from people, he's a very competent writer. Loved his UXM run with Bachalo. All-New as well, but it felt like the latter went on a bit too long. It was at its best when it was crossing over directly with UXM.

I really enjoyed his UXM and was hopeful for the future of the X-Men with his final issue when everyone rallied together but then nope Marvel went scorched earth in like 5 seconds flat.

Now they have me clinging on to new the ressurextion books for dear life like a mark and they haven't even shown the creative teams yet.

arkon

For anyone interested, Multiversity has posted a massive near 3 hour podcast interview with John Arcudi, concerning his career outside the Mignolaverse. Haven't had a chance to listen myself yet but really interested. Next week they have a second part where they will discuss the final issue of BPRD, which will be out this wednesday, and John's entire run on the BPRD; what his goals were, if he reached them, what it was like being part of that creative process with so many moving parts etc.

Click

Listening to this now. Some interesting stuff in there. On the positive side Arcudi talks about them doing a Rumble hardcover collecting the same material as the first three paperbacks. Hopefully nice and oversized.

On the negative, he mentions it's doing okay sales-wise but they're going to have sit down at some point to talk about the feasibility of continuing the series, take a look at the numbers on the trades etc. He did say he was committed to doing more but also realizes they have to be realistic.

Messi

I like you. Maybe we can be friends?

Oh man. Austin was so bad. But you still had other books that were good so you could avoid it

Bendis' real problem is he can't stick the landing. Good ideas, decent starts, but then the story wanders away and ends with 2-3 issues of hasty wrap up.

This is true of his X-Men and Avengers runs.

Bendis' real problem is he can't stick the landing. Good ideas, decent starts, but then the story wanders away and ends with 2-3 issues of hasty wrap up.

This is true of his X-Men and Avengers runs.

That's a fault of his, but he's got other problems (personally, your description fits Scott Snyder better, imo). He struggles with larger casts and higher power levels, and then there's his... odd dialogue choices. Solo street books he's great, not so much otherwise.

Hagi

All this X talk made me want to properly re-experience one of the first ever Comics I can remember reading which would be Generation X and man oh man is it great. I still have bunch of issues along with some Jim Lee X-men in a folder under my bed. Still have those cool as hell trading cards they came with as well. Really looking forward to reading through all of this.

Bachalo was drawing the best Emma way back in 1994! God he's such an amazing artist.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
That's a fault of his, but he's got other problems (personally, your description fits Scott Snyder better, imo). He struggles with larger casts and higher power levels, and then there's his... odd dialogue choices. Solo street books he's great, not so much otherwise.

And he's just a stupid idea factory.

The Pro's great. Finally the level of IQ that I've spoiled myself playing PC games is in my PS4 titles. Also, regarding PC: Reinhardt finally clicked for me. I'm now a god.

Meanwhile, my comics backlog...

Maybe a Pro next year for me. I do want to play The Last of Us and Until Dawn at some point. I need a new TV first. It ain't gonna be 4K though. Not worth it for how little I use a TV. I turned mine on for the first time in about six months for the Nintendo Classic Mini (AFAIK, I can't get sound from my PC monitors). I was astonished it still worked tbh.

A Switch is tempting. Need to know price and games list first though.

Still happy with my PC. Perfectly happy to wait for 1100 series cards as I only have two 1080p 60hz monitors and am in no rush to upgrade either. I only got my second one in April. I am going to upgrade my streaming audio setup next more than likely.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Looking ahead to next week and Kill or be Killed seems to be doing pretty well......

Kill or be Killed #1 4th printing
Kill or be Killed #2 3rd printing
Kill or be Killed #3 2nd printing

That's sound to skip the Pro if you're happy with your current setup. I'm very impressed with games getting retroactive patches, which leaves me excited to see how developers will tap into it in the future. But there's not some must-have upgrade yet.

Scorpio is the only console that doesn't interest me. I'm sure it will destroy the Pro in terms of specs (with a shockingly high price), but every exclusive will also appear on PC. I'm seeing it as more redundant than any console I can remember. I have a suspicion it's going to be in that mid-range PC price, but we'll see.

The Switch would have my interest, but it needs to be more than a Nintendo machine. I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, even though the concept of the console appeals to me. I think it will be catnip for Nintendo fans.

I know you guys play B1. When your selecting the difficulty and/or number of players in MP is the highlighted or the button prompt next to it?

i would disagree on extraordinary Xmen. that title is actually pretty good, lots of interesting things going on.

everything else? yes. agree completely. aimless nonsense, you could have skipped the last half year and missed nothing.

HOWEVER

it's worth mentioning that the Xbooks are ramping up towards Inhumans v Xmen. It's pretty clear that writers are going to want to steer clear of building up anything because that crossover is going to wreck whatever work is put in, much like secret wars did.

Daredevil #13: This arc is....I'm just gonna say it. It's damn good. I even like Blindspot now.

This book still has 99 problems but a bitch sidekick ain't one. At least not anymore.

Have you forgotten the horrors of Chuck Austen MHW. Have you

ANXM is actually pretty darn good right now. Maybe a little dull but I don't feel bad about buying it anymore :D Something I never got with, ahem, Chucklefuck Austen.

Renew your Vows #1: Yaaaaaaaaaaaas Queen!

Oh yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I adored this issue.

Daredevil #13: This arc is....I'm just gonna say it. It's damn good. I even like Blindspot now.

picked this one up on a whim- yeah, last 2 or 3 issues have been crazy good. you're not reading this, you're fucking up.

ANXM is actually pretty darn good right now. Maybe a little dull but I don't feel bad about buying it anymore :D Something I never got with, ahem, Chucklefuck Austen.

honestly this is the worst of the Xbooks for me.

but if we count Old Man Logan there are two Xbooks that aren't garbage- Extraordinary and OML

The X-Books usually have at least one standout book going on with some sort of great creative team. I mean, since the 2000s there were classic runs across the line by Morrison, (good) Milligan, Remender, Whedon, etc. and now we have... Whatever they're releasing.

TheFlow

Banned
picked this one up on a whim- yeah, last 2 or 3 issues have been crazy good. you're not reading this, you're fucking up.

honestly this is the worst of the Xbooks for me.

but if we count Old Man Logan there are two Xbooks that aren't garbage- Extraordinary and OML
the one time I don't mind fucking up lol

Top Bottom