• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

It's gonna be hard for Marvel to match the age of Remender and Aaron with ResX. That will be remembered as a great time to be an X-fan.

honestly this is the worst of the Xbooks for me.

but if we count Old Man Logan there are two Xbooks that aren't garbage- Extraordinary and OML

I love both of the Wolverine books, though Laura's CWII tie-in was decidedly mediocre. The new arc has promise.

Personally I think ExX pooped the bed after Apoc Wars but I got a lot of enjoyment out of that arc and those preceding it. I just think there are so many missed opportunities there, with the school in Limbo and very little story taking place there.

Can't blame you for disliking ANXM, the first...what. dozen issues, inexcusably bland and always mediocre-to-bad. But this arc has some cool stuff going on. Cyke's recent issue was a mostly-effective callback to classic X-Men downtime stories that hit all the right nostalgia buttons, and the latest issue introduced some interesting, surprising characterization to young Mr. McCoy.

UXM is the bottom of the heap for me.

VanWinkle

Man, I was just thinking how I pretty much NEVER like Brian Bolland covers. But the interior work he's done (I've seen Camelot 3000 and Killing Joke) is AMAZING. It's weird.

Really, in general I'm not a big cover art fan and find interior art a much better demonstration of an artist's skill. The covers I'm usually into are abstract in some way or not a piece of "comic-style" artwork.

Stuff like this I love:

3056012.jpg
JLDWSM_Cv1_noUPC.jpg

7d91085534bb9aad1cd5a41a39d8c569_xl.jpg
latest

Sandfox

Yeah that was great. People talk shit about Kluh...and they should. But that arc put him to good use. Damn what a fucking hero Sam was in that arc. Cemented him as worthy of the title "Nova" in my eyes.

I agree and got the exact same feeling in the final story of Sam's first run. I was really happy when I read the first interview for the upcoming series and saw that Loveness singled out Duggan's run when talking about Sam so hopefully we can get some more of that.

I just started Deathstroke 6 and I'm thinking this is the perfect series to launch my own note-taking efforts with. I might have to go back and start at the beginning. I love this book, all hail Chris Priest, but man is it dense and twisty. Labyrinthine.

The worst part is that the first arc of Uncanny Avengers ended with the Red Onslaught dystopian future and...

Then dropped it for the Apocalypse Twins arc. Before picking it back up right before Axis. Red Onslaught is this insane overhanging mystery that builds so well and just crashes and burns so hard

Been sitting at 924 comics read since October started. Haven't touched one since. I need to finish off this 1K challenge.

/fires up Tomb Raider

The worst part is that the first arc of Uncanny Avengers ended with the Red Onslaught dystopian future and...

Then dropped it for the Apocalypse Twins arc. Before picking it back up right before Axis. Red Onslaught is this insane overhanging mystery that builds so well and just crashes and burns so hard

Remender wanted to do a Geoff Johns where he would foreshadow future events. Waid is doing it now with Avengers.

List

Art of Dishonored 2
Art of Metal Gear Solid V

Briggs Land #4
Cave Carson Has A Cybernetic Eye #2
Doctor Fate #18
Invincible #131
Kill or Be Killed #4
Reborn #2
Doctor Strange #14
Jessica Jones #2

Also, look what comes out this week:

The bestselling graphic novel of all time is back in a new, 12-volume box set collector's edition at DC's Deluxe Edition trim size, just in time for the series' 30th anniversary! It all begins with the paranoid delusions of a half-insane hero called Rorschach. But is Rorschach really insane-or has he in fact uncovered a plot to murder super-heroes and, even worse, millions of innocent civilians? On the run from the law, Rorschach reunites with his former teammates in a desperate attempt to save the world and their lives, but what they uncover will shock them to their very core and change the face of the planet!

Yep. DC has been fucking Alan Moore for 30 years.

Leest!

Red Dog #1

Backstagers #4

Ether #1

Aquaman #11
Batman #11
Cave Carson Has an Eye #2
Superman #11
Trinity #3

Grand Passion #1

Hadrian's Wall #3
Horizon #5
Moonshine #2

All-New Wolverine #14
Amazing Spider-Man #21
Black Panther #8
Captain America #15
Doctor Strange #14
Infamous Iron Man #2
Jessica Jones #2
Old Man Logan #13
Spider-Man #9
Thanos #1
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #14
Uncanny Inhumans #15

Some cool looking #1s this week! Though only one from Marvel, which is good. It was getting a little overwhelming there.

Sometimes I spot a book or two on the list that I'm surprised to see still swimming along. This week it was Dr. Fate and Carnage....anybody still reading either of these? I'm especially curious about Carnage, which I have heard some intriguing things about.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
List of books I won't be reading for a few more weeks.

Black Hammer #5
Horizon #5
The Hunt #4
Kill or Be Killed #4
Moonshine #2

So in Remender's Uncanny Avengers, Kang gets Jarnbjorn from a tomb in Brazil, where it's buried in Baron Mordo's corpse.

When did Thor kill Mordo?

That's the second Legacy series, the first is written by John Ostrander.

Ah, right I gotcha, I know the one! Dark Horse did good with the star wars franchise throughout the years.

Listening to this now. Some interesting stuff in there. On the positive side Arcudi talks about them doing a Rumble hardcover collecting the same material as the first three paperbacks. Hopefully nice and oversized.

On the negative, he mentions it's doing okay sales-wise but they're going to have sit down at some point to talk about the feasibility of continuing the series, take a look at the numbers on the trades etc. He did say he was committed to doing more but also realizes they have to be realistic.

Oh jesus, that is depressing man :( I'm going to listen to it this morning, but damn. I do not want to hear about Rumble cancellation. It doesn't shock me though, it's very under the radar. While I bet it was enticing to jump to Image where the deals are so good and so many of the big boys play these days, maybe sticking at Dark Horse with the book would have been wise, I'm willing to bet DH would have gave him as long as he liked really, and advertised his book alongside BPRD etc. I will definitely buy the HC though.

That's sound to skip the Pro if you're happy with your current setup. I'm very impressed with games getting retroactive patches, which leaves me excited to see how developers will tap into it in the future. But there's not some must-have upgrade yet.

Scorpio is the only console that doesn't interest me. I'm sure it will destroy the Pro in terms of specs (with a shockingly high price), but every exclusive will also appear on PC. I'm seeing it as more redundant than any console I can remember. I have a suspicion it's going to be in that mid-range PC price, but we'll see.

I don't disagree with your notions about Scorpio to be honest man. The thing is, I have a PC too which only really needs the gtx 770 to be replaced to make it a monster again anyway, so I don't really buy any of the these things for power. I was considering the Pro really just because so much of the community games on PS4 these days. Problem is, I just genuinely really like playing my xbox. I know that sounds a bit weak but it's one of those can't quite put a finger on it or quantify it things. Is it the pad? Maybe. The interface? Maybe. Am I aware at this time they basically have no exclusives and it's the least powerful third party playing device I own? Yes...but as long as I have a PC and a PS handy for when those things are an issue, I still like playing on it most for some reason lol. I don't really get it myself. When I go to buy a game, my gut says xbox. I wish that didn't segregate me out of the largest online playing pool though.

OH yea, I can join the list thing this week!

List:

BPRD Hell On Earth #147

It's gonna be hard for Marvel to match the age of Remender and Aaron with ResX. That will be remembered as a great time to be an X-fan.

Wanna hear something nuts? As much as a huge Aaron fan I am, I'm still yet to read his Wolverine & the x-men run haha. I gotta get to that one of these days.

Every single Rebirth book is only getting a soft cover release. DC going cheap on their trades?

It's not only softcover, it's just softcovers will lead now. Didio said that it would all be softcover initially, to get fans in the door at the lowest price point they could provide, then HCs will come afterwards. Which books get them though, and if they will continue to be like their old HCs or more like 12 issue OHCs, no idea haha.

This Tomb Raider game is ace. Played it for six straight hours, and made a ton of progress. Or only up to 30%, according to the laughable in game counter. That...doesn't sound right.

List
Batman #11
Green Arrow #11
Invincible #131

This Tomb Raider game is ace. Played it for six straight hours, and made a ton of progress. Or only up to 30%, according to the laughable in game counter. That...doesn't sound right.

Hahah, I think it's on of those things where they've folded the collectibles etc into the percentage thing. Thing is though, even if you mainline it, the game is a really nice length, not too long to break the general cinematic flow of the story, but not too short. If you do the extras, you can spend a lot of time in that world too.

Oh man, haha, listening to this interview. Arcudi & Mignola discussed doing a JSA series at DC together, and they even approached Cartoon Network together to do a show haha. Nuts. The stuff that went on with a god somewhere, jesus.

arkon

Ah, right I gotcha, I know the one! Dark Horse did good with the star wars franchise throughout the years.

Oh jesus, that is depressing man :( I'm going to listen to it this morning, but damn. I do not want to hear about Rumble cancellation. It doesn't shock me though, it's very under the radar. While I bet it was enticing to jump to Image where the deals are so good and so many of the big boys play these days, maybe sticking at Dark Horse with the book would have been wise, I'm willing to bet DH would have gave him as long as he liked really, and advertised his book alongside BPRD etc. I will definitely buy the HC though.

I don't want to be too pessimistic about the situation. It's hard to gauge from what he's saying there how much trouble the series is in. Hopefully the trade sales are up to the level they want. I'd love for them to end the series on their own terms especially since he says he envisions it being a big book like Chew or Preacher size. I'm not going to say no to another 40-50 issues of Rumble. Fingers crossed.

I don't want to be too pessimistic about the situation. It's hard to gauge from what he's saying there how much trouble the series is in. Hopefully the trade sales are up to the level they want. I'd love for them to end the series on their own terms especially since he says he envisions it being a big book like Chew or Preacher size. I'm not going to say no to another 40-50 issues of Rumble. Fingers crossed.

Haha for sure man. I actually just got past the creep stuff which obviously mentions Dark Horse said no on Rumble (well they said no a good while back then llater he retooled it with Harren but took it to Image), so that bins my thoughts on it being wiser to put there. The book is so good, and it makes me sad if the hard fact is all the years doing this fantastic work on the BPRD has not done much to get his name out there with the wider comic reading consumer base. Whether that's simply because the Mignola books are hard to get into, DH being a smaller publisher, outside fans just looking at all those books as having been written by Mignola or what, I don't know. The thing is, if he came to Marvel and wrote X-men or something, I think he could blow his name up big time, imo his strengths would suit that so much, but I guess dude has to write what makes him happy, and who knows if Marvel etc see it that way.

Damn, the way Arcudi makes it sound, he's working on something new and the artist might be Gerardo Zaffino? Count me in all day if that's true. Zaffino did this for the next Rumble trade:

Also, this interview is really worth listening to guys, even if you're not familiar with Arcudi. He is a really likeable guy and a lot of insight into the industry.

Tizoc

List
Batman #11
Green Arrow #11
Invincible #131
Define progress :v Rice of Toom Braider's bow and arrow are ace but everything else is uninpsired

I'm just hoping that it means they'll go the Vertigo/Marvel route and put out OHCs after two or three trades.

Definitely. Normally then only issue about OHC for me is the inherent wait. Not only waiting 6 months for softcover but a full year (or more) after initial publication for the HC. With DC double shipping though, you could see two OHC a year, that would be something.

Hahah, I think it's on of those things where they've folded the collectibles etc into the percentage thing. Thing is though, even if you mainline it, the game is a really nice length, not too long to break the general cinematic flow of the story, but not too short. If you do the extras, you can spend a lot of time in that world too.

That makes sense. I'm very unlikely to ever 100% this game, but I do explore every nook and cranny I find. Now that I have my lockpick and rope, I need to go back to some earlier zones and collect items I missed.

I'll look over the trophies, but I assume I need to do the alternate game modes to get them all. I'm loving the hell out of the story, but that might be a bridge too far.

Define progress :v Rice of Toom Braider's bow and arrow are ace but everything else is uninpsired

I thought the number meant percent of the story I've finished. It makes more sense if it's wrapping everything collectible in there.

I love the bow, and use it almost exclusively. There are a few action sequences that mandate swapping to the assault rifle or explosives, at least unless I can upgrade the arrows to pierce armor in the future.

VanWinkle

Definitely. Normally then only issue about OHC for me is the inherent wait. Not only waiting 6 months for softcover but a full year (or more) after initial publication for the HC. With DC double shipping though, you could see two OHC a year, that would be something.

Yeah man. We can only hope.

Gotham Girl :(

I just want to hug her

Looking forward to reading this series in trade. I've heard it gets better after the first arc. Well, actually, I stopped after #3, so I'm ready to read past that.

Top Bottom