• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

What are some good superman stories released in the past 2-3 years? Single issues, arcs, I just need some modern superman that isn't zach snyder.

Superman: American Alien
Superman: Lois & Clark
The Final Days of Superman
and the Rebirth Superman book is pretty, pretty good

The Goddamned is utterly gorgeous. Like, woah. Gonna have to track down more stuff by r. m. Guera. Reminds me of a hyper-realistic Aragonés.

Also kinda surprised that i'd never seen a post-pre-apoc take on bible stories before.

Sorry ed. Already tried that. Bounced right off of it.
wth, scalped went all the way to 60 issues?
ahh well, here's hoping it was another TWD situation and i'll settle into it after a while.

Sorry ed. Already tried that. Bounced right off of it.
wth, scalped went all the way to 60 issues?
ahh well, here's hoping it was another TWD situation and i'll settle into it after a while.

I really love Scalped. That said, if you bounced off it, I'm not sure further issues would change your mind, it's a pretty consistent book in terms of the storytelling. No harm in trying though, awesome book. I believe the colorist changes after the first arc, so the art does evolve a little bit.

Oni, I won't quote all that just because of the length of the text, but I read it all, I appreciate it all, I definitely understand and respect your opinion man. I think it's pretty obvious there are certain things colouring your opinion too. You are a writer, you think there are a lot of by the numbers marvel books that no-one should aspire too, but I don't think that necessarily has anything to do with the point, at least the point I was making in my own mind. Bringing up how you dare us to compare his moon knight run to any other marvel book, being hamstrung by the big two. This isn't something I'm advocating, nor do I think Ellis would be hamstrung by reading that stuff either. I'm talking about the legit amazing books coming out today, some of the amazing writing and art on display and the idea he can basically gain nothing by reading any of that. His work can only ever be the sum of himself, limited by himself, if he never turns his eye anywhere else. We are our experiences and your experience as a fiction writer will only grow by taking in other fiction, other stories, and of course larger than that. Actually going out, seeing things, learning things, living life, those stories. Purely in the bubble of yourself without the want to expand that bubble though, I just don't see how that is a good thing.

And again, hey, big Ellis fan, but I very much acknowledge his strengths and flaws (and yes, Gun Machine would be a flaw haha. Read more novels at very least Warren!). I appreciate we are on different wavelengths and that's cool. I do actually respect your reading taste as a man after my own heart when I read your posts, so I value your opinion, I just think totally different here, and it's really just an opinion, not an argument I'm making, so I can't take it much further than that. Glad this has opened up a talking point though, interesting to see other view points.

Also, just as a separate brief point: I do not read a lot of marvel, not much more DC, but I also don't want to be getting on board with the point there are no good books there or something. Fiction is something to everyone, and different to everyone, and there are plenty of books folks love under those publishers. Whether I think the best comics are elsewhere or not, I won't say that as if it is a fact.

Oh, no, I certainly appreciate the discussion. My way isn't the way for all, it's just why I see his statement as not too big a deal. ^__^

There used to be good Halo books as well. :/

I haven't touched Halo lore since Glasslands went and ruined everything.

The prose novels have actually recovered pretty nicely, there's a lot of good new stuff there. The comics remain garbage, though.

What are some good superman stories released in the past 2-3 years? Single issues, arcs, I just need some modern superman that isn't zach snyder.

Would strongly recommend Superman: American Alien and the Rebirth Superman series.

Boogiepop

Continued reading Claremont X-men, now up to right before the return of Sunfire I guess. I'm not sure how I originally read these, but however it was there was actually definitely a gap skipping over these issues from, like, the stuff with the circus and Mesmero (was that awful Wolverine and the Xmen arc kind of a callback to this?) up until around the Arcade stuff, approximately. So in addition to enjoying the stuff I've reread a lot more this time around, this is honestly kind of like finding some "lost episodes" of a classic or something, which is neat. In particular I really liked the Magneto bits and felt like they make the issue where he curbstomps them earlier (which I HAD read) feel a bit more like meaningful setup to pair with this.

Edit: Read the latest PMIF, and huh, that was spoiled for me by a solicitation or something way back when in here, but I actually managed to completely forget that, so it still managed to catch me off guard.

Also, read that Catwoman/Prez issue. The Catwoman part was really, really eh, and one of the bigger "gags" in it was making Penguin a rather blatant spoof on Trump, which hurts a little more with the way the election turned out. Prez, though... poor Prez was too good for this world, and it's sad to see it go out jammed as a "this is also kind of here as a bonus backup" to an issue it was WAY better than as it's finale.

man remember how people were like "waaaah Casey is badly characterized, why isn't she reacting to a guy being blowed the heck up, she doesn't make sense, waaaah, I am stupid and dumb"

yeah

WHAT'S GOOD

I'd normally say you're better than petty insults, but this is Donald Trump's world now. Marine Le Pen is locking down the French election next.

I preferred your earlier condescension about "ONOMATOPOEIA, OH GOD SO GOOD." Which I'll safely assume has not returned or been referenced since. Differing opinions: how do they work?

I just read my first four comics in a month. Comics are great! Deadly Class and Southern Bastards, oh my.

Also, read that Catwoman/Prez issue. The Catwoman part was really, really eh, and one of the bigger "gags" in it was making Penguin a rather blatant spoof on Trump, which hurts a little more with the way the election turned out. Prez, though... poor Prez was too good for this world, and it's sad to see it go out jammed as a "this is also kind of here as a bonus backup" to an issue it was WAY better than as it's finale.

Prez is fantastic. They should have done a full Prez issue instead of that Catwoman trash.

Finally got around to reading Angel Catbird v1, and I have to say it was rather disappointing. Atwood doesn't have a good grasp of the medium I'm afraid. A lot of info dump and very very basic storytelling with pictures attached. I do like what she wants to write about though and how she is trying to work in her causes but it didn't come together very well.

Messi

Doom Patrol #3: multiple times I did this :
post-28942-Olivia-Wilde-WHAT-WTF-gif-sexy-8W3w.gif

Fun book, unique style. Stunning art team.

I read some more great comics! Gwenpool #8 was terrific as always. Invincible Iron Man #1 was also terrific...nice to have a more fully fleshed out origin for RiRi, she's just a terrific character.

Mega Princess #1, though. Now this is an interesting book, clearly aimed at a younger audience but with the potential to develop into a subversive feminist work. How is that possible with a book called Mega Princess? Well, Maxine, our hero, does
not want to be a princess. She wants to be a detective, even after her fairy godmother grants her the "powers" of every princess. Powers like...perfect pitch. The ability to detect a pea under twenty mattresses. She can talk to animals, sure, and that sounds cool, but she really only has the pony she doesn't get along with that well to chat with (and nobody else can hear the pony so she just looks crazy. She does figure out a mission-critical power late in the story but it's still not all it's cracked up to be. In short, this Mega Princess book emphasizes that princesses are kiiiiinda lame most of the time. Just one more thing pushing her down a path she doesn't want to be on to begin with
. In a way this is a standard Disneyesque tale of a young character cursing her lot in life and yearning for more. But it's all presented in an interesting, often humorous way. There is potential for great things here. If you like cute books, check this one out. It's cute as fuck.

My one criticism of Mega Princess is it suffers a bit from "moms are lame, dads are rad" syndrome, something I noticed in Renew Your Vows as well, but it's hard to evaluate how problematic that is going to be with just one issue available.

Loved talking about RiRi and Mega Princess with my daughter, nice to have a couple of books we both like again. :)

Messi

I read some more great comics! Gwenpool #8 was terrific as always. Invincible Iron Man #1 was also terrific...nice to have a more fully fleshed out origin for RiRi, she's just a terrific character.

Mega Princess #1, though. Now this is an interesting book, clearly aimed at a younger audience but with the potential to develop into a subversive feminist work. How is that possible with a book called Mega Princess? Well, Maxine, our hero, does
not want to be a princess. She wants to be a detective, even after her fairy godmother grants her the "powers" of every princess. Powers like...perfect pitch. The ability to detect a pea under twenty mattresses. She can talk to animals, sure, and that sounds cool, but she really only has the pony she doesn't get along with that well to chat with (and nobody else can hear the pony so she just looks crazy. She does figure out a mission-critical power late in the story but it's still not all it's cracked up to be. In short, this Mega Princess book emphasizes that princesses are kiiiiinda lame most of the time. Just one more thing pushing her down a path she doesn't want to be on to begin with
. In a way this is a standard Disneyesque tale of a young character cursing her lot in life and yearning for more. But it's all presented in an interesting, often humorous way. There is potential for great things here. If you like cute books, check this one out. It's cute as fuck.

My one criticism of Mega Princess is it suffers a bit from "moms are lame, dads are rad" syndrome, something I noticed in Renew Your Vows as well, but it's hard to evaluate how problematic that is going to be with just one issue available.

Loved talking about RiRi and Mega Princess with my daughter, nice to have a couple of books we both like again. :)

I didn't get this at all from Renew your vows. During the book both Pete and MJ are protective but I didn't feel MJ was portrayed as someone who is lame. Pete was telling dad jokes lol. Hell during the Marguerite Sauvage backup MJ is actively cool to her daughter in relation to her costume and stuff and
ice cream

I didn't get this at all from Renew your vows. During the book both Pete and MJ are protective but I didn't feel MJ was portrayed as someone who is lame. Pete was telling dad jokes lol. Hell during the Marguerite Sauvage backup MJ is actively cool to her daughter in relation to her costume and stuff and
ice cream

It was verrry slight in RYV. More something that I could see being a problem later than a problem now. I noticed it the most in the first backup by the cartoonist (which was also my favorite part of the book).

Finally got around to reading Angel Catbird v1, and I have to say it was rather disappointing. Atwood doesn't have a good grasp of the medium I'm afraid. A lot of info dump and very very basic storytelling with pictures attached. I do like what she wants to write about though and how she is trying to work in her causes but it didn't come together very well.
This confirms a lot of what I've heard about this title. Comic writing is just it's own thing. Very different way of communicating to the reader and I think unless they're already well versed in comics, prose writers will struggle to go write differentially.

This confirms a lot of what I've heard about this title. Comic writing is just it's own thing. Very different way of communicating to the reader and I think unless they're already well versed in comics, prose writers will struggle to go write differentially.

It really is. It's very difficult to adapt any skills you learn as a prose writer to comics, which is why it's so impressive when an author like Chelsea Cain pulls it off so well. And even her inexperience was glaring in the final issue.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
It really is. It's very difficult to adapt any skills you learn as a prose writer to comics, which is why it's so impressive when an author like Chelsea Cain pulls it off so well. And even her inexperience was glaring in the final issue.

Going the opposite way has it's issues as well. Remember the prose issue of Morrison's Batman? Cripes that was a slog.

Going the opposite way has it's issues as well. Remember the prose issue of Morrison's Batman? Cripes that was a slog.

I still haven't read the whole run. >.> Just the end, and all of Incorporated.

I dunno though, restricted length is so so difficult for "normal" fiction, I'm not sure that's a fair example. We've seen some comic writers make the transition and do okay. Peter David can be quite good. Neil Gaiman, of course. Greg Rucka's super awesome No Man's Land adaptation, which every Batfan should read. The difference, I believe, is that those skills are commonly taught. Even if you never wanted to be a writer, some teacher at some point probably made you write at least one story, and they DEFINITELY tried to cram essay writing skills into your brain, which can be applied to fic. And if you pursue it in college, or in an MFA program, that's what you're going to learn how to do: essays, long form fiction, short form fiction, maybe poetry. Comic book writing classes are certainly out there but they're pretty rare by comparison. I never encountered one. Hell my school had a whole class on microfiction and short short forms, but nothing for comics or graphic novels.

That microfiction class was great though. One of my favorite classes. And the most useless in almost any context, but that's how it goes. ;p

edit: not to say that those skills aren't useful in comics, naturally they are, but as ed said there's a whole skill set you kind of have to paste on top of that. And I'm only at the point of figuring out script writing, can't imagine how much trickier it gets when you actually start collaborating with an artist or, god forbid, editors.

Carol Danvers sale on CMX. Aside from old issues it also has all the KSD issues aside from the Secret Wars ones and the first 5 post-SW issues and the first 7 Ultimates issues.

Pick up the Ultimates.

I'm not looking forward to to the "Yaas Queen" relaunch of Captain Marvel.

kmfdmpig

I had read the first few pages of that book prior to the election, and it was hard to finish the Penguin part post-election.

The Prez section was really good though. I hadn't read the series, but I'm thinking about trying to track it down now.

Rucka's Wonder Woman is just so great.

It really is a great book now. I'm surprised that I like it as much as I do as the Rebirth issue felt like such a miss to me, but the book itself seems to be getting stronger and stronger. Having the story split into two different arcs, which I thought would be a problem, has been helpful I think.

New Super-Man

Not heavy on the laughter this issue, but still good. I think this issue made me realize that this book wouldn't be as good without Kenan being around Wonder-Woman and Bat-Man. I really liked their chemistry and we needed an issue of some backstory and fill in on the story, but by the next issue I'm going to need those guys all back together.

His dad getting tagged with a compliance bomb and Kenan saying it was kind of her thing was probably the best part.

All-Star Batman

I'm kind of getting down on ASB. I really didn't like this issue. The art seemed all over the place and half the time didn't seem to match up with what was being talked about in the books. Stuff just didn't seem to really make sense. On top of that I'm just kind of getting tired of the back and forth of having Two-Face then some villains having Batman, then they have Two-Face then they don't. Are we not going back to the stuff back in Gotham and the time stuff in the first two issues?

Overall I'm just starting to really lose interest in this book. First two issues there was interest as to where it could go, there's Alfred, there's the cops at the mansion. Since then it's been two issues of back and forth with nothing really progressing at all. Now we find out it has something to do with them being kids and having some pact but Dent changed his mind? I just don't really care because by this point it's taken too long to really get anywhere. It started out as a fun romp of what will Batman face next, now there is acid in his eyes, the guy flying a plane close enough to jump on their plane and somehow surprise him and Two-face giving away their coordinates on a 10 year old flip-phone.

I'm ready for this arc to be over or to at least go somewhere interesting.

I just wanted to say that the Ghost Racers SW mini is amazing. Just fun all around.

Is the Marvel Now (or whatever it was called back in the day) Ghost Rider series this good?

Went back and reread all 3 Doom Patrols so I could make notes on them and it's amazing how much content, how much story, how many moving parts that book has compared to other comics. My note for 3 books could be the equivalent to 6 books of a much more linear story.

Malyse

hot damn today I learned Penn Gillette can't write for shit.

The latest issue of Spider-Man and Deadpool is AGGRESSIVELY terrible, Penn isn't funny in any way, shape, or form. Referencing the meta like 10 times in 20 pages isn't clever, dude. Jesus.
Yuuuupppp.

Wonder Woman

Not much happens in this issue, but it is fucking awesome. We basically see Diana coming into her powers but the way it shows her using them is just great.
Her Lasso'ing Steve to throw him at a dude and kicking him in the face, them accidentally using the lasso as a way to communicate as a group, her stopping a grenade and holding in the blast with her hands
. All around this issue was just awesome to me. This issue seemed like a lover letter to Wonder Woman and showing why everyone should love her.

Really hoping that Cho story of Rucka possibly being done with his run soon and Cho doing a WW book is completely false.

Ross61

Wonder Woman

Not much happens in this issue, but it is fucking awesome. We basically see Diana coming into her powers but the way it shows her using them is just great.
Her Lasso'ing Steve to throw him at a dude and kicking him in the face, them accidentally using the lasso as a way to communicate as a group, her stopping a grenade and holding in the blast with her hands
. All around this issue was just awesome to me. This issue seemed like a lover letter to Wonder Woman and showing why everyone should love her.

Really hoping that Cho story of Rucka possibly being done with his run soon and Cho doing a WW book is completely false.

DC already confirmed so.

smisk

Man, I've barely paid attention to comics since the election. Used to try and skim through this thread every day but now I'm way behind. Been spending a lot of time reading about politics and news, and most of the rest of my free time playing Mass Effect 3..
Still have a few issues I have to get through from my last trip to the LCS.
Maybe I should just give up on following superhero stuff. It's a lot of work to keep up with and I tend to not enjoy it as much as Image stuff, Star Wars, and other independent comics. Though I still want to check out the new Hawkeye in December.

Ross61

On the other hand, companies always say they have no plans until they actually announce the thing.
Can't imagine DC or Marvel going out of their way to clear a rumor about something like this instance only for it to actually happen. Of all the rumors said about DC, them addressing this almost immediately says something suspect about Cho.

Finished both Batman and Tec', both were excellent.

Messi

Can't imagine DC or Marvel going out of their way to clear a rumor about something like this instance only for it to actually happen. Of all the rumors said about DC, them addressing this almost immediately says something suspect about Cho.

Finished both Batman and Tec', both were excellent.

Yet they just changed to Cho on Harley's variants for the next few months. So they are clearly still working with him.

Ross61

Yet they just changed to Cho on Harley's variants for the next few months. So they are clearly still working with him.
Doesn't mean they are making a stupid move of making giving him a shot at Wonder Woman which would obvious detrimental move right now( or any time really). Don't even see it passing by any of the Batman editor group.

Mother Panic #1: Pretty good. I like the main character a lot, and this is an intriguing, fresh spin on Gotham vigilantes. The art is reasonably good. It's rather unfortunate, however, that the villain is a less interesting
version of the villain in the current Daredevil arc. Same idea, basically, but not nearly as interesting, visually or otherwise
. I can't imagine that will be a problem for too many people here, though. ;)

Still pulling all of the YA books. That's damn impressive...we'll see what happens with Cave Carson tomorrow, though, kinda on the fence with that one. And I haven't tried Shade yet. Hopefully soon.

Question for YA experts: this book is never going to interact with the rest of the Gotham/Bat-books, right? No crossovers/events, and no appearances by Panic in those books, due to the adult content here, correct? No big deal either way, just curious.

Namesake #1: After going wild for Midnighter & Apollo, I thought this book was a sure thing for me, but nope. Cannot recommend. Art is not so great. Characters are also not so great. It frankensteins together some elements of other recent sci-fi comics without using those elements effectively. Its core concepts aren't clearly expressed. Worst of all, it's criminally dull. Dropped.

TheFlow

Banned
Mother Panic #1: Pretty good. I like the main character a lot, and this is an intriguing, fresh spin on Gotham vigilantes. The art is reasonably good. It's rather unfortunate, however, that the villain is a less interesting
version of the villain in the current Daredevil arc. Same idea, basically, but not nearly as interesting, visually or otherwise
. I can't imagine that will be a problem for too many people here, though. ;)

Still pulling all of the YA books. That's damn impressive...we'll see what happens with Cave Carson tomorrow, though, kinda on the fence with that one. And I haven't tried Shade yet. Hopefully soon.

Question for YA experts: this book is never going to interact with the rest of the Gotham/Bat-books, right? No crossovers/events, and no appearances by Panic in those books, due to the adult content here, correct? No big deal either way, just curious.

Namesake #1: After going wild for Midnighter & Apollo, I thought this book was a sure thing for me, but nope. Cannot recommend. Art is not so great. Characters are also not so great. It frankensteins together some elements of other recent sci-fi comics without using those elements effectively. Its core concepts aren't clearly expressed. Worst of all, it's criminally dull. Dropped.
no way of knowing.

Top Bottom