• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Saw that the Y the last man tv show has had some (small) movement, Michael Green as showrunner? I'll be honest, he's has his fingers in as many things I've liked, as I've not. So for now it's still super wait and see. Until casting and production happens, it's still barely a sure bet anyway. I hope he's on form right now anyway, if he's script writing the new Alien AND bladerunner...(and I guess he just finished up work on Logan too)

Hagi

I think X-Men is at its best when it's reflecting the politics of the day.

Someone runs for president promising to ban all mutants from the country and round up those that won't leave. Even though this is an insane task he gets voted in anyway. Have it be Bolivar Trasks brother. He also promises to lock up crooked Maria Hill.

The Marvel public mirror ours pretty well so I could see loads of villains getting elected to Office. Norman Osborn never forget.

The frustrating thing is that the X-men as minority struggle metaphor hasn't changed since the 80s. Since then, civil rights and minority issues have changed and mutated (*high-five*) so much. At a time of #blacklivesmatters, Hamilton, issues of representation in media and the smearing of immigrants around the world, why bother with an analogy? There are real world minorities being feared and hated right now. Explore that, bring those issues in. Stay relevant.

I wish Marvel would throw the X-men franchise to a writer like David F Walker or Gene Luen Yang, people who have written about racial tensions and immigrant experiences. If the X-men want to remain a potent metaphor, it needs to start representing minority struggles and anxieties on the page. Otherwise, burn it all down and stick with the boring ass Inhumans.
Agreed

TheFlow

Banned
I don't. Not after how politically heavy BP is.

It should be political heavy. He is the king of Wakanda being called out by his people for not protecting his city while handling outside invaders. You was expecting a nigga running through jungles making cat noises?

Anybody who read #6 of Black Panther knows Coate has potential for a team book. Dialog was on point and felt more like a team book than the political thiller/epic that is BP.

/Flow

Someone runs for president promising to ban all mutants from the country and round up those that won't leave. Even though this is an insane task he gets voted in anyway. Have it be Bolivar Trasks brother. He also promises to lock up crooked Maria Hill.

The Marvel public mirror ours pretty well so I could see loads of villains getting elected to Office. Norman Osborn never forget.

But Maria Hill IS crooked! Or at the very least, shady as fuck.

It should be political heavy. He is the king of Wakanda being called out by his people for not protecting his city while handling outside invaders. You was expecting a nigga running through jungles making cat noises?

Anybody who read #6 of Black Panther knows Coate has potential for a team book. Dialog was on point and felt more like a team book than the political thiller/epic that is BP.

/Flow

But comic books provided something beyond escapism. Indeed, aside from hip-hop and Dungeons & Dragons, comics were my earliest influences. In the way that past writers had been shaped by the canon of Fitzgerald, Hemingway, and Wharton, I was formed by the canon of Claremont, DeFalco, and Simonson.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-return-of-the-black-panther/471516/

Approved.

TheFlow

Banned

That article still gives me life. here are some excerpts for people who can't click on it right now.

"In Black Panther there is a simpler question: Can a good man be a king, and would an advanced society tolerate a monarch? "

"Chris Claremont’s The Uncanny X‑Men wasn’t just about an ultracool band of rebels. That series sought to grapple with the role of minorities in society—both the inner power and the outward persecution that come with that status. And so it is (I hope) with Black Panther. The questions are what motivate the action. The questions, ultimately, are more necessary than the answers.'

I know BP isn't for everyone but the man has a gift. Plus he is a marvel fanboy. can't see him fucking up the stuff he loves

That article still gives me life. here are some excerpts for people who can't click on it right now.

"In Black Panther there is a simpler question: Can a good man be a king, and would an advanced society tolerate a monarch? "

"Chris Claremont’s The Uncanny X‑Men wasn’t just about an ultracool band of rebels. That series sought to grapple with the role of minorities in society—both the inner power and the outward persecution that come with that status. And so it is (I hope) with Black Panther. The questions are what motivate the action. The questions, ultimately, are more necessary than the answers.'

I know BP isn't for everyone but the man has a gift. Plus he is a marvel fanboy. can't see him fucking up the stuff he loves

Cosigned

Kingdom Come is one of my favorite stories ever. It's amazing.

It's great. If you want to keep going with Alex Ross stuff then the single character books he did with Dini (Batman War on Crime, Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth, Superman Peace on Earth, Shazam Power of Hope) are all fairly good. Justice! was good as well.

On the Marvel side if you haven't read Marvels then that's quite good (although not quite as good as Kingdom Come to me).

"According to the word of God, the meek would someday inherit the earth. Someday. But God never accounted for the mighty."

I'm halfway through. It's fucking incredible. It reeds like Watchmen but it's more a reconstruction of Superman than a deconstruction of superheroes in Watchmen. But the tone is the same. It's very gloomy yet it paints Superman in such a heroic, dramatic way. Something huge is coming he's building an army but for what some showdown is about to happen and I have no idea what. The art is just mind blowing. The composition, details... So many shit on each panel...

Also, Batman, well, more Bruce than Batman, is fucking amazing in this. And I love his Green Lantern, the fucking armor, the claymore, the grumpy king look, sitting on his throne in his emrald palace orbiting earth, waiting, protecting... He doesn't even has to speak his face alone in a single picture says it all he doen't give a fuck anymore.

TheFlow

Banned
Cap:Steve Rogers #6

I have put this off for a while because I kinda don't have the energy political stuff after the election. now back to some summaries

I like how Cap is trying to get in the minds of everyone and play them into his own personal gain. Knowing that Cap is evil while being all goody goody in the public eye is annoying. I want him to get found out so bad. That being said he is one focused individual.

Occupy Avengers #1
Before I begin let me just say I am not a fan of Hawkeye. Fraction's run was the only time I found the character enjoyable. After what he did in civil war after whatever just reason he had I kinda gave up on liking the character. Now back to the summary.

Very interesting opening. Hawkeye is a hero and considered a people's champ because he doesn't dress up and ect. Which plays off of Fraction's run in a way.

One negative that I gotta say imo is
They keep going on and on about Hawkeye killing Hullk
please don't keep retreading this every issue.

that being said I love the plot of this book because not only is it relevant but it is also a problem that can't be easily fixed with powers/arrows. What is happening in this book is actually a problem that people are protesting right now on the news.

I thought about dropping it because Hawkeye and Red Wolf don't interest me, but for once the plot will keep me in it.

Been reading Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars by Ethan Hawke and it has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. In contrast to Atwood, Hawke actually does very well with writing for comics. And Greg Ruth's art is beautiful.

QoXneCS.png

Sandfox

Cap:Steve Rogers #6

I have put this off for a while because I kinda don't have the energy political stuff after the election. now back to some summaries

I like how Cap is trying to get in the minds of everyone and play them into his own personal gain. Knowing that Cap is evil while being all goody goody in the public eye is annoying. I want him to get found out so bad. That being said he is one focused individual.

Occupy Avengers #1
Before I begin let me just say I am not a fan of Hawkeye. Fraction's run was the only time I found the character enjoyable. After what he did in civil war after whatever just reason he had I kinda gave up on liking the character. Now back to the summary.

Very interesting opening. Hawkeye is a hero and considered a people's champ because he doesn't dress up and ect. Which plays off of Fraction's run in a way.

One negative that I gotta say imo is
They keep going on and on about Hawkeye killing Hullk
please don't keep retreading this every issue.

that being said I love the plot of this book because not only is it relevant but it is also a problem that can't be easily fixed with powers/arrows. What is happening in this book is actually a problem that people are protesting right now on the news.

I thought about dropping it because Hawkeye and Red Wolf don't interest me, but for once the plot will keep me in it.
Walker and Fraction have similar interpretations of Clint and so far so good imo.

It should be political heavy. He is the king of Wakanda being called out by his people for not protecting his city while handling outside invaders

I never meant to imply that BP should be light reading. It works great as it is. I just don't think that same tone that goes with Coates writing style is perfectly suited to an X-men book.

kmfdmpig

The frustrating thing is that the X-men as minority struggle metaphor hasn't changed since the 80s. Since then, civil rights and minority issues have changed and mutated (*high-five*) so much. At a time of #blacklivesmatters, Hamilton, issues of representation in media and the smearing of immigrants around the world, why bother with an analogy? There are real world minorities being feared and hated right now. Explore that, bring those issues in. Stay relevant.

I wish Marvel would throw the X-men franchise to a writer like David F Walker or Gene Luen Yang, people who have written about racial tensions and immigrant experiences. If the X-men want to remain a potent metaphor, it needs to start representing minority struggles and anxieties on the page. Otherwise, burn it all down and stick with the boring ass Inhumans.

The X-Men and mutants have always struck me as a poor metaphor for minority struggle. If your neighbor had anger issues and popped out metal claws you'd be smart to be afraid. If your schoolteacher had the potential to destroy planets you'd be a fool to not be terrified. If the mailman shot red beams out of his eyes you'd want to move.

Yet, in the often ham-fisted X-Men stories those fears are meant to be analogous to fearing someone who has a different sexual preference or is from a different country.

It is not rational or justifiable to be afraid of minorities, but would be very rationale to fear people with incredible and often uncontrollable powers.

TheFlow

Banned
If the X-Men really want to hit the oppressed minority message they need to have their poc X-characters in the forefront instead of Jean, Scott, Angel, Wolverine, Emma, and the other white X-characters taking up the space, talking about some past drama and BS nobody got time for, and going to space to fight aliens for the 50th time.

/shit post
You two gonna fight or fuck?
I'm halfway through. It's fucking incredible. It reeds like Watchmen but it's more a reconstruction of Superman than a deconstruction of superheroes in Watchmen. But the tone is the same. It's very gloomy yet it paints Superman in such a heroic, dramatic way. Something huge is coming he's building an army but for what some showdown is about to happen and I have no idea what. The art is just mind blowing. The composition, details... So many shit on each panel...

Also, Batman, well, more Bruce than Batman, is fucking amazing in this. And I love his Green Lantern, the fucking armor, the claymore, the grumpy king look, sitting on his throne in his emrald palace orbiting earth, waiting, protecting... He doesn't even has to speak his face alone in a single picture says it all he doen't give a fuck anymore.
I would argue that, while it is quite sobering, it's nowhere near the tone of Watchmen. Kingdom Come is about rising above. Watchmen is about go fuck yourself.
I never meant to imply that BP should be light reading. It works great as it is. I just don't think that same tone that goes with Coates writing style is perfectly suited to an X-men book.
Pretty much. I have to be in a specific mindset to read a political essay.
Oh god, this is now...fuck.
YES

The X-Men and mutants have always struck me as a poor metaphor for minority struggle. If your neighbor had anger issues and popped out metal claws you'd be smart to be afraid. If your schoolteacher had the potential to destroy planets you'd be a fool to not be terrified. If the mailman shot red beams out of his eyes you'd want to move.

Yet, in the often ham-fisted X-Men stories those fears are meant to be analogous to fearing someone who has a different sexual preference or is from a different country.

It is not rational or justifiable to be afraid of minorities, but would be very rationale to fear people with incredible and often uncontrollable powers.

Sure, the metaphor falls apart when it becomes a philosophical metaphor. If an angry dude with hand knives lived across from a school, yeah, that would be terrible. That's logical. That's how a non-minority would see it.

But metaphors were never meant to be that rigid, they're not meant to fit in snugly like puzzle pieces with real life analogs. Metaphors are emotional. For a minority, the x-men metaphor says, "Hey, you're powerful and special BECAUSE you're a minority." It's a metaphor that says your power comes from your identity, whether that be your sexuality, culture or race. And we may fail in changing the attitudes of a world that hates and fear us, but we will find others like us and forge a stronger community. That's the metaphor that speaks to me.

It's especially clumsy because not-Mutant characters with similar powers are treated extremely well.

But then, clumsy metaphors that fall apart under close examination are kiiiiind of cape comics' bread and butter, so whatever.

mreddie

Seems like the natural road to take Carol down. Would be pretty cool actually.

Shattered Dreams status quo

Every Hero Hates Carol
Everyone Else Likes Carol
Tony is dead again
Cap is HYDRA and might split from Red Skull to make a better HYDRA
Young heroes hate the old guard
SHIELD is weakened.

Doesn't sound Dark Reigny yet.

Is this happening again? Sorry but I am stupid, please tell me that the best period in modern Marvel returns.

Nope. Sadly, I think we might be happy go lucky til the House Divided thing.

But you can't apply this logic to a world that is overflowing with superpowered types capable of decimating the entire planet on a whim. There is no rational reason to assume that mutants are inherently more dangerous than people who became superpowered via other means: the science disaster-based acquisition of powers, the construction of insanely destructive weapons without oversight, Inhuman metamorphosis, and so on. This is a world where it is totally normal for superpowered beings to level whole city blocks on the regular.

Of course, in our world, it would be perfectly reasonable to fear mutants with devastating and fearsome powers...and perhaps it is in the Marvel universe too, but get back to me when the civilians of Marvel wake up and realize that, oh, hey, the Asgardians could totally wipe all of us out and nobody could do a damn thing about it. Even mentally unstable heroes with absurd power levels (Sentry), long and disturbing criminal histories (practically all of the Dark Avengers), legit mad scientists (Reed Richards), and so on, have all generally been accepted and supported by the public of the Marvel Universe...not all the time, but certainly most of the time. Shit, Doctor Doom is on the verge of joining, perhaps even leading, the premiere Avengers team. A tyrant. That is fucked.

No, it's the mutants who are especially scary and it's always been that way. It makes no sense, and it's not supposed to, because real-world bigotry is irrational. Marvel civilians assume that mutants are inherently more dangerous than all of these other guys when there is no basis to believe that. If it's rational to fear people with incredible and often uncontrollable powers, they should be terrified of ALL of them, not JUST mutants. But they only apply that fear to people who are born that way. That's why it works.

Sandfox

Shattered Dreams status quo

Every Hero Hates Carol
Everyone Else Likes Carol
Tony is dead again
Cap is HYDRA and might split from Red Skull to make a better HYDRA
Young heroes hate the old guard
SHIELD is weakened.

Doesn't sound Dark Reigny yet.

Nope. Sadly, I think we might be happy go lucky til the House Divided thing.
I actually think the House Divided thing will be about the heroes coming together and lead to a more traditional direction like the X-line is doing.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Caught up on Giant Days yesterday, and good gravy that's a delightful book. I love the way that it almost feels like a newspaper comic strip at times. The way that one page links to another or even from panel to panel is unlike a lot of bigger comics. And I still can't decide which of the main three I like more. Though the real answer is Ed Gemmell.

I also finished my replay of Uncharted 4, which I still absolutely love except for (near end game non-story spoilers)
those GODDAMN EXPLODING MUMMIES WHO CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!!! I actually work half a block away from Naughty Dog, and see people that work there at the Starbucks between us often. The next time I see them, I'm gonna ask them to slap the designer that made that section right in the face.

I actually think the House Divided thing will be about the heroes coming together and lead to a more traditional direction like the X-line is doing.

This is the song that never ends,
Yes it goes on and on my friend.
Some people started singing it,
not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue singing it forever just because...

TheFlow

Banned
dark reigns 2.0

secret invasion 2.0

fear itself 2.0

one of those is coming real soon.

I am hopeful for a Full on Hydra war.

I also finished my replay of Uncharted 4, which I still absolutely love except for (near end game non-story spoilers)
those GODDAMN EXPLODING MUMMIES WHO CAN GO STRAIGHT TO HELL!!!!!! I actually work half a block away from Naughty Dog, and see people that work there at the Starbucks between us often. The next time I see them, I'm gonna ask them to slap the designer that made that section right in the face.

Haha i absolutely love the game too and yea, totally agree. The only part of the game I remember being like wtf. Although, technically it's kind of marvellous, the atmosphere of that part is cool, if gameplaywise annoying.

Actually put halo 5 in for the first time in ages this evening for the free anniversary pack thing and yea, still love halo. War zone firefight is a blast, if a little simple feeling compared to gears horde.

Haven't read any comics this week so far, I'm about exactly half way through King's Mr Mercedes trilogy and it is awesome. Really psyched for the end of Hell On Earth though, when does comixology update uk time?

But you can't apply this logic to a world that is overflowing with superpowered types capable of decimating the entire planet on a whim. There is no rational reason to assume that mutants are inherently more dangerous than people who became superpowered via other means: the science disaster-based acquisition of powers, the construction of insanely destructive weapons without oversight, Inhuman metamorphosis, and so on. This is a world where it is totally normal for superpowered beings to level whole city blocks on the regular.

Of course, in our world, it would be perfectly reasonable to fear mutants with devastating and fearsome powers...and perhaps it is in the Marvel universe too, but get back to me when the civilians of Marvel wake up and realize that, oh, hey, the Asgardians could totally wipe all of us out and nobody could do a damn thing about it. Even mentally unstable heroes with absurd power levels (Sentry), long and disturbing criminal histories (practically all of the Dark Avengers), legit mad scientists (Reed Richards), and so on, have all generally been accepted and supported by the public of the Marvel Universe...not all the time, but certainly most of the time. Shit, Doctor Doom is on the verge of joining, perhaps even leading, the premiere Avengers team. A tyrant. That is fucked.

No, it's the mutants who are especially scary and it's always been that way. It makes no sense, and it's not supposed to, because real-world bigotry is irrational. Marvel civilians assume that mutants are inherently more dangerous than all of these other guys when there is no basis to believe that. If it's rational to fear people with incredible and often uncontrollable powers, they should be terrified of ALL of them, not JUST mutants. But they only apply that fear to people who are born that way. That's why it works.

There's an issue of X-treme X-men where Storm basically says that a part of the reason for why humans hate mutants is out of jealousy, since anyone could be a mutant. If your neighbor popped up and got superpowers for no other reason than just being born, you wouldn't be jealous?

Also, I've always liked the whole exchange between Rogue and Wanda during a training run in Uncanny Avengers. If I can find it, I'll share it.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Haha i absolutely love the game too and yea, totally agree. The only part of the game I remember being like wtf. Although, technically it's kind of marvellous, the atmosphere of that part is cool, if gameplaywise annoying.

Actually put halo 5 in for the first time in ages this evening for the free anniversary pack thing and yea, still love halo. War zone foresight is a blast, if a little simple feeling compared to gears horde.

This time I was playing it on crushing. I ended up having to watch a Youtube video, because there's one room where there's only about a three foot wide area you can stand in to not die.

I realized I was yelling "Who designed this!?" at my TV, which is never a good sign.

I really like Halo also. I always had a lot more fun with it than with other FPS.

This time I was playing it on crushing. I ended up having to watch a Youtube video, because there's one room where there's only about a three foot wide area you can stand in to not die.

I realized I was yelling "Who designed this!?" at my TV, which is never a good sign.

I really like Halo also. I always had a lot more fun with it than with other FPS.

Oh dear! Haha I have not attempted to dial things it up to crushing yet but I don't really want to imagine that :| every game has a part where you just think "how would you even do this on top difficulty? I barely made it through on normal". Also durr, foresight = firefight, although you probably caught the gist, my tablet trolling me. I really want to replay uncharted 4 though, if I don't get to it in the next few weeks, playstation experience will probably spur me on. Hoping for a DLC reveal!

There's an issue of X-treme X-men where Storm basically says that a part of the reason for why humans hate mutants is out of jealousy, since anyone could be a mutant. If your neighbor popped up and got superpowers for no other reason than just being born, you wouldn't be jealous?

Well, we can throw water on that fairly easily with the advent of the terrigen cloud. Anyone could be an Inhuman, too, but nobody hates Kamala for being a "lucky winner."

This also seems to conveniently ignore that a significant number of mutant awakenings, even mutant births, come with gruesome deformities...that's part of the package. I would certainly not be envious of, say, Beak or fucking Eye Boy. Even Cyclops kinda got a raw deal, and he can "pass" for human when he wants to, and his power level is crazy high. Mutation is burdensome and horrible at least as often as it's simply cool powers.

So maybe the band of thieves Storm used to hang out with are jealous of her powers, but probably not the people who grew up with Chamber, or lived next door to Glob Herman.

Well, we can throw water on that fairly easily with the advent of the terrigen cloud. Anyone could be an Inhuman, too, but nobody hates Kamala for being a "lucky winner."

This also seems to conveniently ignore that a significant number of mutant awakenings, even mutant births, come with gruesome deformities...that's part of the package. I would certainly not be envious of, say, Beak or fucking Eye Boy. Even Cyclops kinda got a raw deal, and he can "pass" for human when he wants to, and his power level is crazy high. Mutation is burdensome and horrible at least as often as it's simply cool powers.

So maybe the band of thieves Storm used to hang out with are jealous of her powers, but probably not the people who grew up with Chamber, or lived next door to Glob Herman.

I'm not saying that it's always the case, but it's not like it's outside the realm of possibility. I mean, look at Worst X-Man Ever. He wishes he was a mutant just so he could have superpowers and not have to be unremarkable. Of course, the whole thing is a "be careful what you wish for" scenario.

Top Bottom