• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Reading X-Factor really hammers home how poorly the done "mutie hate" in Lemire's UXM really is. I mean it seemed pretty bad at the time but now looking back it's almost comical.
Lemire's doing Extraordinary X-Men, and he's not really dealing with racial issues so much as interdimensional apocalypses. He was dealing with some of the race stuff at the beginning, but that was mostly just to establish the current status quo.
Oh man, such a racist post. Next you'll be calling them gene-trash.

Absolutely. Failed experiments. Abominations of the evolutionary chain.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Lemire's doing Extraordinary X-Men, and he's not really dealing with racial issues so much as interdimensional apocalypses. He was dealing with some of the race stuff at the beginning, but that was mostly just to establish the current status quo.

Absolutely. Failed experiments. Abominations of the evolutionary chain.

I meant EXM my bad. I'm still used to UXM being the main title.

And the first arc is all I read it was so bad.

The Legion TV show is the only thing we know about. There is no movie deal for X-Men. I think that's probably decades away.

TV is a totally different beast since Kevin and Ike got divorced

deleted

No bother dude, if you have any other questions about the other books etc., just ask. I just happened to be on and we got talking about this stuff, but there's a whole bunch of folks in here that love the books and are super knowledgeable.

Also, I got this on hand beside me for reference material :L

Just saw your post - will absolutely do, but I have my money on some other books first :p

I don't read much comic book and I didn't want to make a new thread but I always dig the art of Alex Ross I mean look at this art this guy is a god.

Anyway, my local library has Kingdom Come, people recommanded it, it has a great name and dear god the art is amazing.

So VERY LTTP, I dig in.

HOLY SHIT this is good

jurgen

Not exactly. They worked out some kind of deal. Like what they did with Sony for Spidey.

Not at all. Marvel Comics is collaborating more with Fox on television efforts now because they're slightly at odds with Marvel Studios (due to Perlmutter losing authority over Feige in a pissing match). It's more of an "enemy of my enemy is my friend" type of deal. Spidey was worked out between Sony and Disney.

Marvel Comics only has influence over television properties since the Feige split last year. They're playing ball with Fox and the X-men as a power play. They probably won't do much of anything to collaborate on a film though.

I don't read much comic book and I didn't want to make a new thread but I always dig the art of Alex Ross I mean look at this art this guy is a god.

Anyway, my local library has Kingdom Come, people recommanded it, it has a great name and dear god the art is amazing.

So VERY LTTP, I dig in.

HOLY SHIT this is good
Kingdom Come is one of my favorite stories ever. It's amazing.

Well it's a good thing that hasn't happened.

Even during the current run, the X-Men are feared by normal people because they are afraid of the M-Pox and we have mutants dealing with having contracted the disease.

Here's why that's ridiculous:

Mutants were hated and feared by normal people because they were fundamentally better, further down the evolutionary chain, they were walking billboards that told everyone else they would be replaced.

They were not things that could kill you if they fucking coughed on you.

I can understand if X-Men comics are still your thing, that's fine, read what you want, but don't play like they still represent the core conceit of the original property. That's just no longer objectively accurate.

kmfdmpig

So VERY LTTP, I dig in.

HOLY SHIT this is good

It's great. If you want to keep going with Alex Ross stuff then the single character books he did with Dini (Batman War on Crime, Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth, Superman Peace on Earth, Shazam Power of Hope) are all fairly good. Justice! was good as well.

On the Marvel side if you haven't read Marvels then that's quite good (although not quite as good as Kingdom Come to me).

So VERY LTTP, I dig in.

HOLY SHIT this is good

"According to the word of God, the meek would someday inherit the earth. Someday. But God never accounted for the mighty."

Donnie will probably want this.

Speaking of Alex Ross covers, this is out today:

439309._sx1160_ql80_tbes0k.jpg

Simone is out of control. The fact both Lego and TT love her and invite her to events and demos is funny.

Small Inhumans CMX sale.

Sandfox

Here's why that's ridiculous:

Mutants were hated and feared by normal people because they were fundamentally better, further down the evolutionary chain, they were walking billboards that told everyone else they would be replaced.

They were not things that could kill you if they fucking coughed on you.

I can understand if X-Men comics are still your thing, that's fine, read what you want, but don't play like they still represent the core conceit of the original property. That's just no longer objectively accurate.
We were discussing whether they were still relevant as a stand in for minority groups and they obviously are so I don't get this response.

You're basically arguing that they aren't relevant because the writers have been going at it differently compared to the older stories. This isn't even the first time they've gone the disease route.

Vyer

Wait, I haven't read in a while.... the current X-Men stuff has people scared of them because they have a virus?

We were discussing whether they were still relevant as a stand in for minority groups and they obviously are so I don't get this response.

You're basically arguing that they aren't relevant because the writers have been going at it differently compared to the older stories. This isn't even the first time they've gone the disease route.

How does the Terrigen Mist story create a relevant stand in for changing demographics and an evolving society? It's literally a direct opposite of that. It's staunching the progress of a demographic (mutants) and forcing a reversal of evolution (fewer mutants).

Is your POV that it's fine because now Inhumans are taking the place of Mutants in this metaphor?

The frustrating thing is that the X-men as minority struggle metaphor hasn't changed since the 80s. Since then, civil rights and minority issues have changed and mutated (*high-five*) so much. At a time of #blacklivesmatters, Hamilton, issues of representation in media and the smearing of immigrants around the world, why bother with an analogy? There are real world minorities being feared and hated right now. Explore that, bring those issues in. Stay relevant.

I wish Marvel would throw the X-men franchise to a writer like David F Walker or Gene Luen Yang, people who have written about racial tensions and immigrant experiences. If the X-men want to remain a potent metaphor, it needs to start representing minority struggles and anxieties on the page. Otherwise, burn it all down and stick with the boring ass Inhumans.

The frustrating thing is that the X-men as minority struggle metaphor hasn't changed since the 80s. Since then, civil rights and minority issues have changed and mutated (*high-five*) so much. At a time of #blacklivesmatters, Hamilton, issues of representation in media and the smearing of immigrants around the world, why bother with an analogy? There are real world minorities being feared and hated right now. Explore that, bring those issues in. Stay relevant.

I wish Marvel would throw the X-men franchise to a writer like David F Walker or Gene Luen Yang, people who have written about racial tensions and immigrant experiences. If the X-men want to remain a potent metaphor, it needs to start representing minority struggles and anxieties on the page. Otherwise, burn it all down and stick with the boring ass Inhumans.

Can't argue with this. Give it to Coates.

Sandfox

Well...then that's pretty terrible as a stand in for minority groups. I'd have to say Birdie has a point there.
Well I'm not saying it's good, just that it exists lol. M-Pox is basically Legacy Virus 2.0 and is being used
How does the Terrigen Mist story create a relevant stand in for changing demographics and an evolving society? It's literally a direct opposite of that. It's staunching the progress of a demographic (mutants) and forcing a reversal of evolution (fewer mutants).

Is your POV that it's fine because now Inhumans are taking the place of Mutants in this metaphor?
The Terrigen Mist is trying to juggle the extinction storyline and fear/hate thing at same time, but isn't working. As long as the mutants are hated by normal people and are working to improve that I will see them as a relevant stand in for minorities to some degree, which was the point behind my original post.The issue now is that the X-Men have been facing extinction for far too long and there are better issues they could focusing on from the past year or so.

I was just going to post that I wanted to X-Men to focus more on social issues and Walker is a guy I have wanted to see on an X-book.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh lol The Inhumans will be a abc show >_>

guess the movie really is dead

Top Bottom