• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dear! Haha I have not attempted to dial things it up to crushing yet but I don't really want to imagine that :| every game has a part where you just think "how would you even do this on top difficulty? I barely made it through on normal". Also durr, foresight = firefight, although you probably caught the gist, my tablet trolling me. I really want to replay uncharted 4 though, if I don't get to it in the next few weeks, playstation experience will probably spur me on. Hoping for a DLC reveal!

Rumors are that's the DLC reveal will be with then. I'm really looking forward to it. I absolutely love that series.

You know what book perfectly nailed the "mutants as oppressed minorities" concept? District X. I wish it hadn't ended so quickly, but I consider it essential reading for X-fans.

Rumors are that's the DLC reveal will be with then. I'm really looking forward to it. I absolutely love that series.

For sure man. The ending to U4 too, absolutely spot on perfect. The only sequel I want is
some sort of all ages wild thornberries-esque family adventure with the drakes haha.

Nooo, The Vision didn't make the cut for the final round of the goodreads top collection for the year :( I haven't read any of what's left yet unfortunately (although two of those are on my christmas list). If anyone wants to take a gander and/or vote though: click

Also, I'll ask for the new page: Does anyone know when comixology normally updates?

Updates as in, when do they add the new releases? It varies by publisher. I am not sure on specifics as I wait until they're all available before I buy my books. They usually have everything up by 7AM or so, Pacific time.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
For sure man. The ending to U4 too, absolutely spot on perfect. The only sequel I want is
some sort of all ages wild thornberries-esque family adventure with the drakes haha.

Nooo, The Vision didn't make the cut for the final round of the goodreads top collection for the year :( I haven't read any of what's left yet unfortunately (although two of those are on my christmas list). If anyone wants to take a gander and/or vote though: click

Also, I'll ask for the new page: Does anyone know when comixology normally updates?

I'm fully in for
a Young Sully Spin-Off, or just about anything really. I want whoever makes the next one to leave Nate and Elena out of it, but Sam would be cool. Cassie too, if it's not Tomb Raider-y.

Multiversity are running a number of articles, and probably will run a few more, over the end of BPRD Hell On Earth tomorrow. More specifically, they've put together a nice little piece about the end of John Arcudi's run on BPRD altogether with words from many of his collaborators over the years. Sadly no comment from Guy Davis, which is a shame, but no surprise given how withdrawn he is from the industry these days. Warning, there is references to stories from HoE, so avoid if you're behind, or plan to read one day. The artists mention favourite arcs & moments etc, no spoilers for the final arc though: A Salute

The multiversity staff have a thing up of their favourite moments from over the years too (yea, the pants moment is in) and this one DOES have spoilers for the last few issues so beware:Click

Personal favourites for me? I found The Long Death supremely touching, & The Rise Of The Black Flame, is just absolutely nuts. There is honestly so much crazy stuff though, to pin down all my favourite moments would take a lot of thought
The loss of Roger, and the acceptance of losing him for good...</3

EST
3 AM for Marvel and DC (and IDW I think?)
9 AM for Dark horse, Image, Valiant, etc

If it's 9 and the "NEW RELEASES" page isn't in the main page carousel yet, click on the NEW tab and all the new books should be in the first batch. Sometimes it might take until 9:15 for it all to fully upload but if you're looking for something specific you can probably search for it manually and buy it right at 9 even if it's not appearing in either of those places.

#CMXPro

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Batman #11
Green Arrow #11
Justice League #9
Nightwing #9
Superman #11
Trinity #3

Invincible #131
Reborn #2

All New Wolverine #14
Amazing Spider-Man #21
Captain America Sam Wilson #15
Doctor Strange #14
Infamous Iron Man #2
Old Man Logan #13
Spider-Man #9
Thanos #1
Uncanny Inhumans #15

Justice League and Uncanny Inhumans hanging on by the skin of their teeth

kmfdmpig

It's especially clumsy because not-Mutant characters with similar powers are treated extremely well.

But then, clumsy metaphors that fall apart under close examination are kiiiiind of cape comics' bread and butter, so whatever.

True, and I understand why the metaphor works at times. I just feel that some writers over the years have taken it a bit too seriously and thought it was a much better metaphor for the real world than it really is.

You're right that you kind of have to go with it with big two cape books.

Echo is also right that the Marvel system of non-Mutants are loved while mutants are hated makes it work a bit better as the rationale for fear goes out the window.

I guess it's not so much the metaphor that I don't like as it is the heavy handed use of it that many writers employ.

EST
3 AM for Marvel and DC (and IDW I think?)
9 AM for Dark horse, Image, Valiant, etc

If it's 9 and the "NEW RELEASES" page isn't in the main page carousel yet, click on the NEW tab and all the new books should be in the first batch. Sometimes it might take until 9:15 for it all to fully upload but if you're looking for something specific you can probably search for it manually and buy it right at 9 even if it's not appearing in either of those places.

#CMXPro

Ah, awesome man, exactly what I was looking for :) I technically have the issue pre-ordered, since I just paid when I bought the other ones last month so I'll just hover aorund then until I can download it!

Hagi

It's a very unique story. Makes you wish there was more stories in that world because of how fleshed out it is.

I just remember the cover getting my attention because the designs were great. Is X-men legacy worth reading? I think I might have read the Xavier issues but can't remember following Rogue. I really like her as a character so a book where she leads a team is interesting to me.

I might need to look into an X-Men reading order because it would be nice to go through Messiah Complex and such.

I just remember the cover getting my attention because the designs were great. Is X-men legacy worth reading? I think I might have read the Xavier issues but can't remember following Rogue. I really like her as a character so a book where she leads a team is interesting to me.

I might need to look into an X-Men reading order because it would be nice to go through Messiah Complex and such.
I'll give you an epic reading order:

X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

Enjoy that shit. If you don't then you're dead to me.

Free Weekend players taking Sombra into comp matches. Should be interesting.

10.616 gig update with those wonderful PS4 download speeds.

vader.jpg

Guess I'll be reading comics tonight.

Age of X was cool, too

I liked Age of X a lot.

I can't remember if I ever read that. I will have to look into it.

Hagi: Yes, X-Men Legacy was great. The Carey run? Yeah more people should read that. The Rogue-focused stuff was the best part, though I enjoyed watching Xavier come face to face with his awfulness as well.

Hagi

I'll give you an epic reading order:

X-Men: Messiah Complex
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

Enjoy that shit. If you don't then you're dead to me.

I'll take this on, I have a lot more free time now so this should be fun.

I can't remember if I ever read that. I will have to look into it.

Hagi: Yes, X-Men Legacy was great. The Carey run? Yeah more people should read that. The Rogue-focused stuff was the best part, though I enjoyed watching Xavier come face to face with his awfulness as well.

Yeah I distinctly remember Xavier being a piece of shit and getting called out for everything. It's probably why all that stuff post AvX bugged me because this was still fresh in my mind. I'll definitely continue on from the Xavier stuff.

Welp. Took Aaron some 17 issues, but he finally realized that Red Crow is just a better character than Dashiell.

Tbf, so's absolutely everybody else.

Welp. Took Aaron some 17 issues, but he finally realized that Red Crow is just a better character than Dashiell.

Tbf, so's absolutely everybody else.

Haha. Agreed in the first point, not necessarily in the second point, but I understand your meaning. You're enjoying it more this time then?

Eh... i'm not exactly enjoying it. Can't quite see how one could ever enjoy this book, at least up to issue 24. This is, after all, a hellish landscape made of pure pain and misery, with no chance of escape whatsoever. There is never any joy or hope, or reason to expect that either of those things will ever show up.

I did last long enough to reach Catcher and Granny tho, and the return of Falls Down, and so i keep reading to see what those characters will do.

At the point where Dino started fulfilling the requirements to become a pirate.

Wait, she's out? Is it time to make my comeback?

Hahaha, of course not. I have Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 to play.

Couldn't take dh2's fps on the ps4. The game is just....slow. =(

WD2, is great. Fast travel for nearly everything unlocked from moment zero. Also the dude does gratuitous backflips like someone straight out of a CW show.

Owzers

why are you guys down on Overwatch? I hit Diamond after going on a huge win streak with neogaf people. I got Rise of the Tomb Raider in the mail from gamefly today but that won't keep me away from Overwatching.

Overwatch will wait though, it's IndePence Day 2 time.

Hagi

I contemplate re-reading it every day. So good. Keep in mind, however, that X-Force is pretty brutal. A lot of gore.

I've read a little once before so it should be fine.

I just read the opening issue to Messiah Complex and wow this is pretty damn grim right from the get go. The Purifiers don't fuck around. I'm not big on Silvestri but it seems like he only did the opening issue so that's cool. It's nice to see everyone on the same team again. Predator X sure is something.

Ha damn, literally a few hours ago, prior to watching westworld this evening, I called the way the plot went towards the end of the episode. I'm still a bit up and down on the show though. Really interesting plot, not necessarily the most interesting/engaging characters to experience said plot through. If it's a week where there's a lot of plot revealed I'm into it, if it's a week where we had to rely on really caring about Teddy or Nice Guy From The Real World or Bernard and so on, it's just a bit like eh. If this was a comic I would likely drop it. As it's a tv show I'll keep watching for now.

I've read a little once before so it should be fine.

I just read the opening issue to Messiah Complex and wow this is pretty damn grim right from the get go. The Purifiers don't fuck around. I'm not big on Silvestri but it seems like he only did the opening issue so that's cool. It's nice to see everyone on the same team again. Predator X sure is something.
Yeah it's dark as fuck. Also has some super hype moments. Since it's a multi-book crossover, there are artist changes and they are pretty jarring. Ramos and Bachalo are two of them.

Messi

why are you guys down on Overwatch? I hit Diamond after going on a huge win streak with neogaf people. I got Rise of the Tomb Raider in the mail from gamefly today but that won't keep me away from Overwatching.

Overwatch will wait though, it's IndePence Day 2 time.

I'm a mercy player in ranked. You tell me.

Hagi

Yeah it's dark as fuck. Also has some super hype moments. Since it's a multi-book crossover, there are artist changes and they are pretty jarring. Ramos and Bachalo are two of them.

I don't really mind artist changes, while there is something to be said about consistency across an event it's exciting to see so many people collaborate on the same story.

Would you recommend reading Cables book set before Second Coming? Might flesh things out a little.

Ross61

Aw man, just now reading this Deathstroke #6 and is starting out good but damn does it have a lot of call-back to issues in the beginning.

I like Ramos in small doses. His stuff can get a tad wonky but that's not always a bad thing.

If you have the opportunity, check out his original art in person. Changes your whole perspective of him. Truly gifted. The level of detail in his work is jawdropping and a lot of it gets lost in print.

Been reading Deadly Class, and I love it. I usually don't start a comic until the end is near or finished, I wonder how long this is meant to go on for.

Now I am starting American Vampire, which I am kinda getting into. I like Scott Snyder, so I do believe in him.

I don't really mind artist changes, while there is something to be said about consistency across an event it's exciting to see so many people collaborate on the same story.

Would you recommend reading Cables book set before Second Coming? Might flesh things out a little.
I see no reason not to. I've heard good things, but you don't need to. There's not much to know.
Bachalo to Ramos is quite the jarring step down in quality alright.
It's Ramos to Bachalo, and Ramos is good. He's still got it.

TheFlow

Banned
Been reading Deadly Class, and I love it. I usually don't start a comic until the end is near or finished, I wonder how long this is meant to go on for.

Now I am starting American Vampire, which I am kinda getting into. I like Scott Snyder, so I do believe in him.

well damn. you started two crazy series.

Deadly Class will most likely be over by this same time next year.

American vampire is going to start up next year with season 3 if we are lucky.

Owzers

I'm a mercy player in ranked. You tell me.

She's still okay on defense, attack and koth is iffy as all iffy. Lucio got a nerf to his healing amount, Ana got her nano nerfed so players don't gain a speed boost. Mercy could be viable more.

Also, what happened to dva?

Hagi

If you have the opportunity, check out his original art in person. Changes your whole perspective of him. Truly gifted. The level of detail in his work is jawdropping and a lot of it gets lost in print.

I could see this being the case. I just read the first issue of New X-Men he did as part of Messiah Complex and I do like his work. It's very cartoonish in a way I appreciate.

Talking about that issue, hah what a cliffhanger. Pays to listen to Scott. I guess this is where things start to listen kick off. It's nice to see Madrox make three appearances, i don't know much about Layla except that she knows stuff.

Top Bottom