• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Been reading Deadly Class, and I love it. I usually don't start a comic until the end is near or finished, I wonder how long this is meant to go on for.

Now I am starting American Vampire, which I am kinda getting into. I like Scott Snyder, so I do believe in him.

AmVamp, so good. And King on the first arc no less. Would love if Snyder could wrangle him back over at some point, just for a little something. I suppose the anthologies would have been the best time though.

Did anyone here ever read Snyder's short stories collection, voodoo hearts?

VanWinkle

Why can't Manapul draw all books

2ySUQ04.png

well damn. you started two crazy series.

Deadly Class will most likely be over by this same time next year.

American vampire is going to start up next year with season 3 if we are lucky.

Yeah, I couldn't help myself with Deadly Class. I think Remender has a bunch of series going on. Deadly Class is pretty badass. Gives you everything you would want in a comic. Oversize hardbound collection of the first 12 issues is really nice too.

Oh man, that is really too bad. I mostly started American Vampire, well because of Scott Snyder, the subject material, and because I thought it was over.

The waits are just too long for me!

AmVamp, so good. And King on the first arc no less. Would love if Snyder could wrangle him back over at some point, just for a little something. I suppose the anthologies would have been the best time though.

Did anyone here ever read Snyder's short stories collection, voodoo hearts?

Yeah, it is getting better and better so far. I knew I could trust Snyder to make something good, at the very least. Its just too bad, the whole thing isn't over yet. I am next thinking of reading Mind Mgmt, because that sounds cool and is also complete.

Yeah, it is getting better and better so far. I knew I could trust Snyder to make something good, at the very least. Its just too bad, the whole thing isn't over yet. I am next thinking of reading Mind Mgmt, because that sounds cool and is also complete.

Haha yea. If it helps think he said recently there were just two more arcs to go and that would be it, 2-3 for sure Huntington it was 2, so not too long to go. I want to read Mind Mgmt too actually, I keep meaning too. That Lindelof foreword hah.

TheFlow

Banned
Yeah, I couldn't help myself with Deadly Class. I think Remender has a bunch of series going on. Deadly Class is pretty badass. Gives you everything you would want in a comic. Oversize hardbound collection of the first 12 issues is really nice too.

Oh man, that is really too bad. I mostly started American Vampire, well because of Scott Snyder, the subject material, and because I thought it was over.

The waits are just too long for me!

lol imagine waiting for the second cycle and now the third.

Deadly class is going to blow your mind. I can't wait to see you come back in here after the last 2-3 arcs. Like others have said it actually gets better and better. I thought the first arc was meh myself, but now it is my favorite Remender title at image.

Aw man, just now reading this Deathstroke #6 and is starting out good but damn does it have a lot of call-back to issues in the beginning.

Yep it's kinda telling that Gwenpool did the same thing this week but in that book it was a gag. When I'm caught up on everything I am going back through Deathstroke and taking notes

Boogiepop

...So I read the Alpha Flight fight in Claremont Uncanny X-men, and this led to me uncovering a shocking fact...
Major-Mapleleaf.jpg

Apparently someone thought the insult gag-name thrown around for Vindicator(/eventually Guardian, apparently) was good enough to steal and then slap on a generic mounty design. So that's a thing.

Also, man, I'm almost starting to think Claremont isn't fond of native americans. Thunderbird had a dicey design that played into stereotypes harder than it should've and he died nearly immediately. And then Shaman (aka Michael Twoyoungmen) is dressed in super generic native american stereotype garb, and his powers seem to just be "I dunno, guess he's pretty much just a witch doctor or whatever". And then the whole conclusion to that fight only occurs because he apparently has no idea how to control his powers and almost destroys Canada.

Edit: Holy crap, the initial Alpha Flight run was 130 issues?! How the hell did it stay alive that long? Screams the type of thing that would get a spinoff and then bomb hard enough to get canceled like 10 issues in.

Also, man, I'm almost starting to think Claremont isn't fond of native americans. Thunderbird had a dicey design that played into stereotypes harder than it should've and he died nearly immediately. And then Shaman (aka Michael Twoyoungmen) is dressed in super generic native american stereotype garb, and his powers seem to just be "I dunno, guess he's pretty much just a witch doctor or whatever". And then the whole conclusion to that fight only occurs because he apparently has no idea how to control his powers and almost destroys Canada.

Forgot Forge, aka, the guy too stupid to understand how in blazes he does what he does.

Ha damn, literally a few hours ago, prior to watching westworld this evening, I called the way the plot went towards the end of the episode. I'm still a bit up and down on the show though. Really interesting plot, not necessarily the most interesting/engaging characters to experience said plot through. If it's a week where there's a lot of plot revealed I'm into it, if it's a week where we had to rely on really caring about Teddy or Nice Guy From The Real World or Bernard and so on, it's just a bit like eh. If this was a comic I would likely drop it. As it's a tv show I'll keep watching for now.

Hmmm, now you got me trying to recall any book that i followed not because of the characters, but due to the scenario. Can't recall any.

TheFlow

Banned
...So I read the Alpha Flight fight in Claremont Uncanny X-men, and this led to me uncovering a shocking fact...
Major-Mapleleaf.jpg

Apparently someone thought the insult gag-name thrown around for Vindicator(/eventually Guardian, apparently) was good enough to steal and then slap on a generic mounty design. So that's a thing.

Edit: Holy crap, the initial Alpha Flight run was 130 issues?! How the hell did it stay alive that long? Screams the type of thing that would get a spinoff and then bomb hard enough to get canceled like 10 issues in.
What issue are you on? Let me can catch up to you.

Hmmm, now you got me trying to recall any book that i followed not because of the characters, but due to the scenario. Can't recall any.

Haha right? I think with something on the tv, you can actually have good acting, well shot scenes, amazing music etc without compelling characters that might - might - keep you on board with the plot. With pure fiction on paper though, nigh on impossible for me. I have certainly read comics where I lamented that the visual storytelling was so much better than the scripting but I have always dropped off eventually. In a novel, no fucking way ha.

Also to be honest, with the tv, it can actually be the total opposite - you can kind of just keep going because the plot kind of intrigues you but to an extent not give too much of a shit because the characters are poor and then end up with a fairly passive experience, tune in and out at your leisure while it's on in front you. It's hard to feel that way but still engage so much of your mind in the act of reading. You kidn of inherently need to be engaged and invested or why give so much of yourself over.

Aaaand now seriously considering that Aaron might've watched Infernal Affairs before writing this here novel.

Then again, aint exactly a new take.

ctrl+f: drugs

that's weird, no hits.

Haha right? I think with something on the tv, you can actually have good acting, well shot scenes, amazing music etc without compelling characters that might - might - keep you on board with the plot. With pure fiction on paper though, nigh on impossible for me. I have certainly read comics where I lamented that the visual storytelling was so much better than the scripting but I have always dropped off eventually. In a novel, no fucking way ha.

Ah yeah. It is the same for games. If one is hella pretty, sure, you might stick around for a bit, even if the gameplay and story are clunky. Is how FF13 got 20 hours outta me, after all (well, that and the hype/denial). You sure gon drop that and possibly resent it later, tho.

VanWinkle

Finished the first volume of New Teen Titans by Wolfman/Perez (#1-8). What a great series. Feels a lot like Uncanny X-Men by Claremont or something. I would have to imagine there was probably a lot of reader overlap with the two series back in the early 80s. Perez, man, his art is so good. It takes a long time to read, but I enjoyed it a lot. My favorite issue was A Day in the Lives. I love slice of life issues in superhero comics.

TheFlow

Banned
Very excited for Marvel this week. Might be one of the few times where I read it all in one sitting. I spoiled myself on BP #8 by reading the solicits :/. This issue is going to be special

Black Panther #8

Captain America Sam Wilson #15

Doctor Strange #14

Infamous Iron Man #2

Jessica Jones #2

Spider-Man #9 (Civil War II)

Nighthawk 5-6: Okay, this one hurts. This cancellation. It's killing me. This is the book we needed, but I guess it's not the book we deserved.

Nighthawk may not have had the best supporting cast, but Nighthawk himself is a fantastic character. He's Batman plus the Punisher multiplied by racial anger, come ON. His costume is cool! His gadgets are great. His mission statement is powerful. And this book never pulled its punches.

Check out this speech he dished out as he clamped down on a gang fight:

You wanted to know why a billionaire real estate developer would smuggle arms into the city, Tilda? It's because you can control the value of real estate by controlling crime. Destabilize the local population through poverty and violence. Cultivate an environment where surviving poverty lends itself to criminal activity, which increases aggression. Supply the tools to ensure violent behavior as a means of constant destabilization, and you can drive down the value of the property, making it easier to assume ownership.

Listen to me -- all of you! You're killing each other over land you don't own. You're dying in someone else's war. They want you to kill each other. Stop doing it. Stop giving them their victory with your blood.

Yep, the chief antagonist of Nighthawk was not the Revelator, it was fucking
gentrification

Not that the Revelator wasn't a great villain. He's one of those characters who mirrors the hero in so many ways they are often indistinguishable from one another. They are both filled with anger at racial injustice...at black lives meaning less than white lives. This theme is constantly repeated throughout the arc, and it is powerfully expressed through the actions of both of these characters.

I take some small consolation in the fact that these six issues work just fine on their own. It's clear Walker knew this book was a long shot, as he produced a complete and satisfying story that can be recommended as a mini. But...god damn. Maybe Marvel will give this book another chance with Trump on his way to the White House and racial violence escalating rapidly. It deserves one, it's relevant as fuck. The last page is abrupt, and incredibly dark, and leaves the question of Nighthawk's ambiguous moral code up in the air. But it's a fitting end to this story.

What a shame. What a fucking shame.

Sandfox

Nighthawk 5-6: Okay, this one hurts. This cancellation. It's killing me. This is the book we needed, but I guess it's not the book we deserved.

Nighthawk may not have had the best supporting cast, but Nighthawk himself is a fantastic character. He's Batman plus the Punisher multiplied by racial anger, come ON. His costume is cool! His gadgets are great. His mission statement is powerful. And this book never pulled its punches.

Check out this speech he dished out as he clamped down on a gang fight:

Yep, the chief antagonist of Nighthawk was not the Revelator, it was fucking
gentrification

Not that the Revelator wasn't a great villain. He's one of those characters who mirrors the hero in so many ways they are often indistinguishable from one another. They are both filled with anger at racial injustice...at black lives meaning less than white lives. This theme is constantly repeated throughout the arc, and it is powerfully expressed through the actions of both of these characters.

I take some small consolation in the fact that these six issues work just fine on their own. It's clear Walker knew this book was a long shot, as he produced a complete and satisfying story that can be recommended as a mini. But...god damn. Maybe Marvel will give this book another chance with Trump on his way to the White House and racial violence escalating rapidly. It deserves one, it's relevant as fuck. The last page is abrupt, and incredibly dark, and leaves the question of Nighthawk's ambiguous moral code up in the air. But it's a fitting end to this story.

I want David Walker on an X-book.

Nighthawk is
coming to Occupy Avengers
though.

Ross61

Doing a netflix rewatch of Justice League and just got finished with the great Despero arc. Man, this was such a phenomenal show.

I guess if I'm being perfectly honest with myself, a book about a Black vigilante who
kills corrupt/evil-but-not-powered white dudes, including evil cops
, never had a chance.

Doing a netflix rewatch of Justice League and just got finished with the great Despero arc. Man, this was such a phenomenal show.

Oh hey you changed your avatar. I thought you were a new comicgaffer, ha ha

I like it though!

That actually isn't true, I just prefer to not bring up the stuff I think is bad or disappointing with a few exceptions like Betty and Veronica #1.

Fair enough. I'm only teasing anyway! Sorry if I sounded dismissive, I'm glad you liked
Occupy

Ross61

They nerfed the fuck out of Doomsday in this Doomsday vs Justice Lords fight. A heat vision to head would not affect him like that.

I just finished this book too! And yeah, it's a shame that the book got cancelled. Not only was it woke as fuck, but it was so specific with its crime. Like, we're so used to bad guys and thugs pulling these nonsensical bank robberies (also in a world of superheroes, why rob banks?). It's more than just bad guy/gang bangers that comics are so careful to present as multiracial as to not be accused of racism. Naw, there are systemic reasons for racism; there are bad police protected by their institutions; there is the cutthroat capitalism of gentrification, that real people lost their homes so a neighborhood could have a cupcake shop. David F Walker gets it, as you pointed out in the speech you quoted. Really hope Walker decides to push something like at Image or something.

Also, I just read Spider-Woman 12 and I fucking love this book. Hopeless has created such a fully realized character with Jess and her supporting cast. I don't want to see them in a stupid crossover, I want this.; I want to hang out with character that I love and that love each other. That ending with
Roger's daughter running up to him and so excited to tell him he's a hero...Got a little teary, ain't gonna lie

Major-Mapleleaf.jpg

That Alpha Flight shit was good though. "You hurt Moira? Now Banshee's pissed and y'all done fucked up."
Forgot Forge, aka, the guy too stupid to understand how in blazes he does what he does.
Well considering his power is "Technology = yes," he doesn't really need to know. At least he knows how to summon ghosts real good.
You're a good robit Echo. A good robit indeed.

What the hell is wrong with Sonic fans? Seriously.

imagine a diehard nintendo fan.
now imagine that said fan has been deprived of a decent game from the ip's he dearly loves and obsesses over for... about 20 years.

add a sprinkle of furry.

you got sonic fans.

Ponn

Banned
imagine a diehard nintendo fan.
now imagine that said fan has been deprived of a decent game from the ip's he dearly loves and obsesses over for... about 20 years.

add a sprinkle of furry.

you got sonic fans.

See, now if Hillary would have promised to build a wall to keep out Sonic fans then maybe she would have won. At least that would have been a unifying message we could all agree on.

TheFlow

Banned
Refresh my memory, what did you think of the first issue?
Loved the plot, no problem with the art team, but the main characters are kinda meh atm. Not even sure what Red Wolf does or is about. Just remember his name.

The only glaring thing I didn't like was hitting the dead horse over the head about what Clint did in civil war. But I understand he is still coming to terms with what he done so I will let it slide for a coupe issues

Nova #11: This got a little too sappy for me here and there, but for the most part it's a fitting, sweet send-off for Sam's solo series before he assumes the role of sidekick in the new book (you know he will). Of course it was awesome to
see Rich, and that scene made me wish that god damn stupid GotG Original Sin tie-in explaining how Star-Lord escaped the Cancerverse never happened. I feel the new creative team or even Sean Ryan would have done a much better job with it
. Hopefully we see the new team put a little of their own spin on the whole thing, I don't want another situation where
they don't really explain how Rich got out or something dumb like that. The epilogue has me worried
. Stop doing that Marvel. Stop. Doing. That. Prove me wrong here.

I was really hoping Sam would
have a chance to tell Rich all about Civil War II so we could get another wonderful "heroes vs. heroes is GARBAGE" speech from Rich, something like "are you FUCKING kidding me, Sam, let's go, let's fuck off to space forever"
but I suppose that's probably gonna happen in the new book fairly quickly. If they don't do that, they fucked up. This book is always, always
better in space so hopefully they head back out the minute Rich gets a chance to say hello to everyone

You know as I'm sitting here I'm realizing that we STILL haven't
put the Jesse Alexander problem to bed. That has been going on way, way, way too long and it's unfortunate the new book is going to be saddled with it

A (largely) satisfying conclusion with one big, fat dangling plot thread that needs to be snipped. Snip it fast, please.

edit: oh, forgot to mention, some super gorgeous pages here. The stained glass was so well done.

Dragon Quest Builders is completed! Man what a long game but I liked how they did the final chapter

Next up! To finish up Titanfall 2 single player campaign

And I've got things cleared up for pokemon Sun & Moon

Couldn't take dh2's fps on the ps4. The game is just....slow. =(

WD2, is great. Fast travel for nearly everything unlocked from moment zero. Also the dude does gratuitous backflips like someone straight out of a CW show.

Glad to hear WD2 is good. I'll get to it after I wrap up the last two missions in Dishonored.

Speaking of Dishonored though, you're not the first person to mention the framerate, but it runs perfectly A-okay for me, and I haven't even hooked up my Pro yet. Are you playing digital or the disc version?

Overwatch will wait though, it's IndePence Day 2 time.

I liked that movie. Nothing amazing, but I knew that going in. Still a fun franchise.

Don't bother

I find I'm a happier person when I don't play Overwatch. I mean, when I play Titanfall 2 MP I have fun.

Glad to hear WD2 is good. I'll get to it after I wrap up the last two missions in Dishonored.

Speaking of Dishonored though, you're not the first person to mention the framerate, but it runs perfectly A-okay for me, and I haven't even hooked up my Pro yet. Are you playing digital or the disc version?

Digital. I'm fine with 30fps gaming. Always have been. For dishonored, tho, everything is... slow. Like, slower than it should. To open menus, move, save, and especially to look around, like the image isn't refreshing as fast or smoothly as it should... a friend with the pro was share-playing it today and also instantly felt it. Then we fooled around with wd2, which is also obv another 30 fps game, and the feeling wasn't there.

But yeah, when i looked up at 4k/1080p comparison vids, it didn't seem to be as harsh.

Sure is god damn weird that the 4k version appears to have a marginally better framerate, tho.

Top Bottom