• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

No way. He's so much better then old Logan. I don't know why we have him and the teen O5 in the main universe
If Logan comes back I wamt Professor Logan and nothing else. I love Old Logan though. He has great motives that his series goes into that I feel makes him a unique character. Even if he is just an old version of an existing one.

Plus I feel like him coming back makes Laura's succession lose impact.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
A guy I know is doing a GWAR comic that's on Kickstarter right now.

It's the same guy who did Toe Tag Riot which was pretty good.

Check it out, or don't.

TheFlow

Banned
Rachel Rising #7

basically an aftermath of what happened in #6. Solid issue, that I was actually going to keep continuing till I got to the end. I said welp that is enough horror for one night.

for those wondering
all the dead bodies in the cemetery shoot up like a geyser and land in a demonic pentagram or w.e you call it

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
DOH! Forgot to load more X-Factor onto my iPad before work. Guess I'm done reading for the night. Too bad cuz it's a slow ass night too. :(

A guy I know is doing a GWAR comic that's on Kickstarter right now.

It's the same guy who did Toe Tag Riot which was pretty good.

Check it out, or don't.

Link us please?

Rachel Rising #7

basically an aftermath of what happened in #6. Solid issue, that I was actually going to keep continuing till I got to the end. I said welp that is enough horror for one night.

for those wondering
all the dead bodies in the cemetery shoot up like a geyser and land in a demonic pentagram or w.e you call it

Lol yeah that scene was...something else

Rachel Rising #7

for those wondering

You get that spooked easily? Honestly the stuff in that book that's been bothering me the most is whenever Zoe does something horrible. Those are the moments where I'm just like "maybe I should put this down for a bit". Also just about every last issue in a volume.

Occupy Avengers #1: It says on the recap page that Clint was "forced" to kill Bruce because of Ulysses' vision. That's bullshit and it's too bad that's the narrative we are going with as I think ambiguity is the smarter play here, but whatever. I'll go along with it...

...because it's David Fuckin Walker, superstar writer of Nighthawk! I had no idea. What a nice surprise, just as I was grieving for that loss. My confidence in this series went up 99%. He's a perfect fit.

I thought this was a pretty strong start. Once again Walker shows no hesitancy in approaching difficult issues, this time indigenous peoples and the shitty, awful, desperate state of reservations. This setting allows for Red Wolf to enter the story organically, and I'm glad we aren't rushing to fill out the team. In fact I'd be fine with this whole arc being just Clint and RW, though that probably isn't the best idea sales-wise. We'll see what happens. Of course, I'm not gonna complain
if Nighthawk swoops in on the first page of the second issue

Remember early on in Bendis' New Avengers run (at least I think it was Bendis, I think it was NA and I think it was early on), when Luke was in something of a leadership role, and he decided that the team was going to get down in the muck and help people deal with problems we deal with in the real world? I think that lasted about six pages but I've always loved that scene. I know it's not exactly a novel concept (iirc JMS' Thor run did a bunch of that too, and I loved that as well), but I'm all for an Avengers book that is built entirely around that concept. That seems to be the direction this is going, so I'm genuinely excited about this book now. And I didn't think I was gonna like it much at all.

Walker does a nice job of balancing the "white guy doesn't know shit about what we have to endure in our daily lives" thing with Clint on the reservation. It's not too aggressive, and Clint responds appropriately: he's humble, and he listens. Say what you will about the X-books flailing with social issues lately, but Marvel is doing a lot of things right in many other books.

Too bad the issue ends with a wet fart tho

(And the title still sucks)

Recommended.

Old Man Logan 11-12: I'm still enjoying this arc. I think. #11 is a great issue. I appreciate the sparse use of flashbacks to flesh out OML's history without getting too bogged down in it. The story is still largely focused on the present. Using a
telepathic seer who can apparently see other potential futures
is an interesting device to incorporate Logan's "past" into the story, though it doesn't hold up too well if you think about it for more than five seconds. Why would
he see that one? Why would he be stuck on that one if it's no longer possible in this timeline? I think it's effective to have the monk's primary motivator be a child's fear of death
but these ideas could have used a bit more time in the think tank.

And then, unfortunately, #12 is unintentionally hilarious. SO hilarious. Imagine if this issue were animated and you cannot help but crack a smile at
Logan being dropped in the well...then lifted up. Then dropped in the well...then lifted up. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat
. And this is supposed to be a heavy moment! Logan's internal monologue is rough reading, his memories are sad and brutal. But oh ho ho ho ho ho. I can't. Too bad. It's a near-catastrophe for what started out as an excellent "Logan in Japan" story. Hopefully they can course correct with a strong final issue but I just don't know. Am I alone in this? How did this get past the editor? Surely it's not actually meant to be funny? What a weird choice.

Ross61

So Deathstroke was great, and I found the handling of Joseph's sexuality interesting. Also loved how Priest was able to make his own twisted Black Panther. As I've said earlier this issue was callback heavy as we're getting to the end of the arc, so I may need to start taking notes. As it progresses, you realize Slade is a cancer to any one who he has gotten close to or even held a conversation with. Literally all of his family members have been emotionally and physically damaged by him in directly or indirectly.

Green Arrow #10 was solid also.

Remember early on in Bendis' New Avengers run (at least I think it was Bendis, I think it was NA and I think it was early on), when Luke was in something of a leadership role, and he decided that the team was going to get down in the muck and help people deal with problems we deal with in the real world? I think that lasted about six pages but I've always loved that scene. I know it's not exactly a novel concept (iirc JMS' Thor run did a bunch of that too, and I loved that as well), but I'm all for an Avengers book that is built entirely around that concept. That seems to be the direction this is going, so I'm genuinely excited about this book now. And I didn't think I was gonna like it much at all.

The bolded is what Ewing's Mighty Avengers is all about.

Man I'm still wondering what Daken's claws are after his Death upgrade that made them super glowy and capable of incapacitating Logan with one gut shot

Also
3512600-uncanny_avengers_013-007.jpg

I don't know what this world is anymore

Okay damn. Off topic, but everything that comes out about switch so far for me is just exactly what I want. If it genuinely is £249 with splatoon packed in, and splatoon has a focus on local 1 vs 1 with 2 switches, I'll be buying two of these thing. Plus Mario and portable skyrim, and a pro controller....yea. I better hunker down financially after xmas ha.

Owzers

Okay damn. Off topic, but everything that comes out about switch so far for me is just exactly what I want. If it genuinely is £249 with splatoon packed in, and splatoon has a focus on local 1 vs 1 with 2 switches, I'll be buying two of these thing. Plus Mario and portable skyrim, and a pro controller....yea. I better hunker down financially after xmas ha.
But but but I've already played two out of three of those games. I can never get excited about rebuying remasters/ports of games and it always feels weird when others are.

I want to get hyped for Switch but it's not happening with the current rumors. Also giving them the benefit of the doubt that they aren't waiting for everyone to box up their Wii U systems before releasing Zelda.

Savor those three months of 3rd party support after launch. You'll miss it dearly after that.

Owzers

Savor those three months of 3rd party support after launch. You'll miss it dearly after that.
Which third party doesn't enjoy making ports for underpowered systems?

This Mario kart rumor is okay though considering I still haven't bought the Mario kart 8 dlc tracks.

Which third party doesn't enjoy making ports for underpowered systems?

This Mario kart rumor is okay though considering I still haven't bought the Mario kart 8 dlc tracks.

Don't forget about shoe-horning in features to take "advantage" of whatever gimmick Nintendo comes up with this time.

Haha why would I savour any months of third party support, never mind three? I'm not buying it for that (although the odd thing like portable skyrim will be nice, I definitely won't say no). Third party stuff is a fine argument for people on a budget that can only have one console, those people should definitely consider all options in that situation if they want that stuff. I have a ps4, an xbox and a pc. The only way third party support dries up for me is if I sell all those. Nintendo console for Nintendo style games guys, I'll never buy a Ninty console thinking of that as a reason to buy.

Plus, not to take the strawman, but I've played plenty of great third party stuff like Yokai Watch, Monster Hunter, Bravely Default, SMT and so on. That stuff never dried up so...:S to each their own. I guess it's better to say I'm not going in to this excited to play COD or Assassin's Creed, the multiplatform games that will dry up, rather than the third party.

TheFlow

Banned
You get that spooked easily? Honestly the stuff in that book that's been bothering me the most is whenever Zoe does something horrible. Those are the moments where I'm just like "maybe I should put this down for a bit". Also just about every last issue in a volume.
I get spooked easily but the last pages are usually where I go wtf.

I think #7 is the first issue to make me stop due to unsettle content. I can't go to sleep with that stuff so fresh in my mind

I decided to drop everything and get the first trade of Morrison Doom Patrol. After only reading the first two issues I'm immediately wanting to go back and reread the first three issues of the new run. Seeing the similarities is kind of cool. It doesn't feel cheap and it kind of makes me more curious about both runs. I'm really looking forward to diving into more.

TheFlow

Banned
I decided to drop everything and get the first trade of Morrison Doom Patrol. After only reading the first two issues I'm immediately wanting to go back and reread the first three issues of the new run. Seeing the similarities is kind of cool. It doesn't feel cheap and it kind of makes me more curious about both runs. I'm really looking forward to diving into more.
New doom patrol is a love letter to morrisons run. It is pretty much the true sequel to Morrisons run. Everything else is not worth diving into.

Helljust reading the first volume of morrisons doom patrol makes way's so much easier to appreciate.

New doom patrol is a love letter to morrisons run. It is pretty much the true sequel to Morrisons run. Everything else is not worth diving into.

Helljust reading the first volume of morrisons doom patrol makes way's so much easier to appreciate.

I was already loving it because of the feel and the overall weirdness about it, but I can definitely tell why it would be more appreciated.

kmfdmpig

Retailers talk about the ups and down of the year. The success of Rebirth, returnability, "the utter lack of consumer excitement for 'Marvel NOW!", the election, trade waiters and more are talked about.

It's interesting how the retailers seem to be so down on Marvel, but Marvel had fairly sizable leads in unit sales and revenue for October. It seems like we'll be closer to parity soon as Marvel's #1s will obviously drop, but even with that drop the two should remain fairly close.

shingi70

Banned
Retailers talk about the ups and down of the year. The success of Rebirth, returnability, "the utter lack of consumer excitement for 'Marvel NOW!", the election, trade waiters and more are talked about.

I Understand it's a problem for stores, but how problematic is digital.only and trade waiting for the industry as a whole.

_______

Nintendo is saying all the right things about.seotch if these rumors are to be believed.

It's interesting how the retailers seem to be so down on Marvel, but Marvel had fairly sizable leads in unit sales and revenue for October. It seems like we'll be closer to parity soon as Marvel's #1s will obviously drop, but even with that drop the two should remain fairly close.
They had the big Champions launch in October. Much like with the upcoming Usavengers there was tons of variant covers, price reductions if ordering more and loot crate numbers. Aside from relaunches/new books, event sales and the end of Vader the list was mostly the same. We've already got reports on how DoX, Champions, CC have seen a sharp fall after issue 1. Rebirth sales are steady for retailers now thanks to returnability letting them test how many are interested in the books. Champions, DoX etc are going to be stuck in the cellar or storeroom for years.
It was a good month for Marvel but they need to do the same every single month and have retailers succeed in actually selling the issues.

I Understand it's a problem for stores, but how problematic is digital.only and trade waiting for the industry as a whole.

Mm I was thinking the same. I feel bad for these guys, genuinely. I spend a ton on comics, very enthusiastic and engaged with the industry but all my money is going on trades and through online book stores. For a lot of you guys it's straight through comixology.

kmfdmpig

They had the big Champions launch in October. Much like with the upcoming Usavengers there was tons of variant covers, price reductions if ordering more and loot crate numbers. Aside from relaunches/new books, event sales and the end of Vader the list was mostly the same. We've already got reports on how DoX, Champions, CC have seen a sharp fall after issue 1. Rebirth sales are steady for retailers now thanks to returnability letting them test how many are interested in the books. Champions, DoX etc are going to be stuck in the cellar or storeroom for years.
It was a good month for Marvel but they need to do the same every single month and have retailers succeed in actually selling the issues.

So basically Marvel's success was one manipulated by variants and good timing, but is not sustainable. That would explain why the numbers and retailer comments didn't match. Thanks!

So basically Marvel's success was one manipulated by variants and good timing, but is not sustainable. That would explain why the numbers and retailer comments didn't match. Thanks!
The fact one book was cancelled after less than a week in shops would point to that, yes. It'll be interesting to see the numbers from the election week.

Btw, Darwyn Cooke would've been 54 today.

Messi

Mm I was thinking the same. I feel bad for these guys, genuinely. I spend a ton on comics, very enthusiastic and engaged with the industry but all my money is going on trades and through online book stores. For a lot of you guys it's straight through comixology.

I don't big bang is notorious for gouging for variants. Free to order variants all being $20 harder to get variants $35-50. They act like they have no hand in people's attitude towards comic stores but it just not true.

I don't big bang is notorious for gouging for variants. Free to order variants all being $20 harder to get variants $35-50. They act like they have no hand in people's attitude towards comic stores but it just not true.

Haha oh dear. You would know better than me man, to be fair.

BPRD: Hell On Earth #147: just a short review. No spoilers, just to say an absolutely perfect end to an incredible run. How often do we see a writer get to write what, 30-ish volumes straight in this day and age, and bow out on his own terms? While the door is still open, this still feels like a true finale, and I'd satisfied if we never got another issue of BPRD. Arcudi runs the plates one last time, and Lawrence Campbell / Dave Stewart cap off years of fantastic visual storytellers in impressive fashion. 5/5

Between HB and BPRD this year, I wonder if this is the point I look back in years time and wish they had simply hung it up now for good, in the present day of the mignolaverse at least. Time will tell, for now just gotta be happy with what we got.

Mindwipe

Yeah. My entire spend in comic book stores is on Transformers toys, not comics. The direct model just doesn't fit how I tend to read.

tim1138

My only complaint with the Super Sons prequel arc in Superman is
Bruce taking credit for raising Damian. Please, Alfred and Dick are/were bigger father figures in his life than Bruce.
Beyond that, Super Sons should be amazing.

Haha oh dear. You would know better than me man, to be fair.

BPRD: Hell On Earth #147: just a short review. No spoilers, just to say an absolutely perfect end to an incredible run. How often do we see a writer get to write what, 30-ish volumes straight in this day and age, and bow out on his own terms? While the door is still open, this still feels like a true finale, and I'd satisfied if we never got another issue of BPRD. Arcudi runs the plates one last time, and Lawrence Campbell / Dave Stewart cap off years of fantastic visual storytellers in impressive fashion. 5/5

Between HB and BPRD this year, I wonder if this is the point I look back in years time and wish they had simply hung it up now for good, in the present day of the mignolaverse at least. Time will tell, for now just gotta be happy with what we got.

I came to this issue, this week of all weeks, expecting the worst, the end of the world, a reflection of the rampant shit stain that was our planet today. Instead, we finish on a world (at least temporarily) reborn and renewed, and a last page of a literally limitless hope.

Thank god for this comic.

ElNarez

Banned
man, Jessica Jones makes me forget why I hate Bendis, and Infamous Iron Man is good enough, but also it's real hard to give cash money to a company whose CEO is in Donald goddamn Trump's inner circle

complicated feelings

ALSO: ALPHA PRIMITIVES AND THE EXISTENCE OF XEROGENESIS AS A PROCESS MEANS I'M GODDAMN RIGHT ABOUT INHUMANS BEING DEFINED AS SUCH AFTER TERRIGENESIS, SO KARNAK IS NOT AN INHUMAN

CHECK

AND

MATE

So Catwoman in Batman#11! Wow. Don't think I have seen her portrayed this way ever.
I dig it though. She kills without hesitation. Ruthless. She is a villain. We have seen her try and be good, try to abide to Batmans code but it gets them nowhere. The fight always keeps on happening. The "kiss" never last. So now she is cut throat, pun intended. She sees justice not working, that it has no end. She is the embodiment of YOLO. Lol.

Top Bottom