• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

man, Jessica Jones makes me forget why I hate Bendis, and Infamous Iron Man is good enough, but also it's real hard to give cash money to a company whose CEO is in Donald goddamn Trump's inner circle

complicated feelings

ALSO: ALPHA PRIMITIVES AND THE EXISTENCE OF XEROGENESIS AS A PROCESS MEANS I'M GODDAMN RIGHT ABOUT INHUMANS BEING DEFINED AS SUCH AFTER TERRIGENESIS, SO KARNAK IS NOT AN INHUMAN

CHECK

AND

MATE

Wait, Ike and Trump? For real?

Man, I wonder if DC are building up to something big with Harley's past as a psychiatrist. Thus far she has shown up as Harleen in
Red Hood as Jason's psychiatrist when in Arkham, a fake in Trinity as Bruce's psychiatrist after the Wayne murder and possibly mentioned in 'Tec when Kate and Bruce talk about him needing to see a psychiatrist.
Haven't read today's Suicide Squad yet.

I came to this issue, this week of all weeks, expecting the worst, the end of the world, a reflection of the rampant shit stain that was our planet today. Instead, we finish on a world (at least temporarily) reborn and renewed, and a last page of a literally limitless hope.

Thank god for this comic.

Perfect, right :)! I totally expected the worst too. It felt like a total affirmation of humanity and the chance of a better day always being over the next hill (literally) though. The fact that Johann was the one to flip the switch and believe too, really brought his whole arc, and honestly everything about the book full circle.

And unfortunately yea, Perlmutter and his wife donated a lot to Trump's campaign.

mreddie

And unfortunately yea, Perlmutter and his wife donated a lot to Trump's campaign.

You're forgetting one more...

giphy.gif

man, Jessica Jones makes me forget why I hate Bendis, and Infamous Iron Man is good enough, but also it's real hard to give cash money to a company whose CEO is in Donald goddamn Trump's inner circle

complicated feelings

I'm a bit concerned now. It's been a week and "President-elect Trump" sounds no less ridiculous than it did last Wednesday.

TheFlow

Banned

What a solid conclusion to the second arc. This issue explains Shuri current condition what it really is, and BP figured it all out. Shuri learned a lot in the spirit world, and through it gained wisdom.

Now all the pieces are on the table and we move to the last 4 issues.

4/5

What a solid conclusion to the second arc. This issue explains Shuri current condition what it really is, and BP figured it all out. Shuri learned a lot in the spirit world, and through it gained wisdom.

Now all the pieces are on the table and we move to the last 4 issues.

4/5

This was an amazing issue. BP should be the flagship MU book and just have everything flow from it. It's the best and most consistent follow through from SW.

TheFlow

Banned
Jessica Jones #2

damn this was a good issue. I think I liked this more than BP which says something. MY main question has been answered. Now that the main question is out the way we can go back to asking "wtf did Jess do"

Luke and Jess dialog was heartbreaking, but I think she is acting like this for a very specific reason.

5/5

Cant wait for the Black Panther OHC.

Does Nahesi the other Wakanda book?
no. it is a decent #1 but no point in reading if you aren't reading BP.

This was an amazing issue. BP should be the flagship MU book and just have everything flow from it. It's the best and most consistent follow through from SW.
Yea if wasn't for King/Vision BP would be the most praised Marvel book this year.

ALSO: ALPHA PRIMITIVES AND THE EXISTENCE OF XEROGENESIS AS A PROCESS MEANS I'M GODDAMN RIGHT ABOUT INHUMANS BEING DEFINED AS SUCH AFTER TERRIGENESIS, SO KARNAK IS NOT AN INHUMAN

CHECK

AND

MATE
Karnak is Triton's brother, and after what happened to Triton and the way he turned out (completely ostracized due to the necessity for water) their parents would not allow Karnak throught Terrigenesis. Karnak's Inhuman gene activated anyway.

Alpha Primitives are created using Xerogen (or Xenogen. I forget) crystals, not Terrigen. Dewoz happened because Maximus manipulated his Terrigenesis using his powers.

During By Right of Birth, the Genetic Council was pissed because Black Bolt got Medusa pregnant without their consent (creepers) and wanted to terminate her pregnancy. They were scared of another Black Bolt or Maximus, and even though Medusa said she wouldn't let her kid go through Terrigenesis, the Council brought up Karnak as a counterexample.

Ross61

My only complaint with the Super Sons prequel arc in Superman is
Bruce taking credit for raising Damian. Please, Alfred and Dick are/were bigger father figures in his life than Bruce.
Beyond that, Super Sons should be amazing.
That's debatable. I think all three have been equal pivotal in the constant raising and reprogramming of Damian.

Edit: It's funny as hell that the new villain of Green Lanterns is basically an entitled white dude.

Vic_Viper

Anyone reading Trinity? How is it? Been passing it over but I might pick up the first few. Didnt realize Francis Manapul was writing.

Also who is the new Parallax on the cover of Green Lantern 11 today?

The art in Reborn is amazing still. I think Capullo is becoming my new favorite artist next to Bachalo. He has really improved his style from his Image days and even since Batman imo. Cannot wait to see what him and Snyder are about to do. Has that been announced yet btw?

Anyone reading Trinity? How is it? Been passing it over but I might pick up the first few. Didnt realize Francis Manapul was writing.

Also who is the new Parallax on the cover of Green Lantern 11 today?

The art in Reborn is amazing still. I think Capullo is becoming my new favorite artist next to Bachalo. He has really improved his style from his Image days and even since Batman imo. Cannot wait to see what him and Snyder are about to do. Has that been announced yet btw?
"Soon" and Batman is involved in some way. It's releasing in the summer.

Holy shit, I've read up to issue 20 of Deadly Class. Man, Remender is just the best writer at the moment, isn't he?

Just, cool characters, and those twists that one wants, he's got the magic touch, and he just does things that are cool. Deadly Class just seemed cool. I bet Black Science is amazing.

Fear Agent, imo, is one of the coolest and best comics I've read. It has it all. Time travel, floating brains, crazy pulp adventure, humor, pathos, and a big heart that never felt cheesy or lame.

Been reading American Vampire while taking breaks from coding, and I am really liking this too! I have a feeling I am going to read it all. I just don't know why I find it so hard to wait month to month when other people are cool with it. When American Vampire comes back, I reckon I will let it finish, before I dive back in. It's getting more into its mythos now. I just hate the idea that, I might have to wait a very long time to finish it, and that I might forget details when I am able to finish it. I mean I read the first like 10 issues of Morning Glories. That felt like a decade ago, and that shit still aint over.

I guess if I do start reading month to month like you guys do, it's a different experience? I'd savour them more? I find, the more slowly and more I savour each issue, the more enjoyment I get, if its good to begin with. I own very few new physical single issues, mostly TPBs and digital purchases. Looks INCREDIBLE on AMOLED. I will say that much gents.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Holy shit, I've read up to issue 20 of Deadly Class. Man, Remender is just the best writer at the moment, isn't he?

Just, cool characters, and those twists that one wants, he's got the magic touch, and he just does things that are cool. Deadly Class just seemed cool. I bet Black Science is amazing.

Fear Agent, imo, is one of the coolest and best comics I've read. It has it all. Time travel, floating brains, crazy pulp adventure, and a big heart that never felt cheesy or lame.

Been reading American Vampire while taking breaks from coding, and I am really liking this too! I have a feeling I am going to read it all. I just don't know why I find it so hard to wait month to month when other people are cool with it. When American Vampire comes back, I reckon I will let it finish, before I dive back in.

I guess if I do start reading month to month like you guys do, it's a different experience? I'd savour them more? I find, the more slowly and more I savour each issue, the more enjoyment I get, if its good to begin with. I own very few new single issues, all TPBs and digital purchases. Looks INCREDIBLE on AMOLED. I will say this much gents.

Not to me.

I love Deadly Class but the other stuff I've from him hasn't been nearly as impressive IMO. Black Science for instance is far from amazing.

EDIT: Granted I haven't read Fear Agent yet.

Malyse

Fear Agent, imo, is one of the coolest and best comics I've read. It has it all. Time travel, floating brains, crazy pulp adventure, and a big heart that never felt cheesy or lame.

Been reading American Vampire while taking breaks from coding, and I am really liking this too! I have a feeling I am going to read it all. I just don't know why I find it so hard to wait month to month when other people are cool with it. When American Vampire comes back, I reckon I will let it finish, before I dive back in. It's getting more into its mythos now. I just hate the idea that, I might have to wait a very long time to finish it, and that I might forget details when I am able to finish it. I mean I read the first like 10 issues of Morning Glories. That felt like a decade ago, and that shit still aint over.

I guess if I do start reading month to month like you guys do, it's a different experience? I'd savour them more? I find, the more slowly and more I savour each issue, the more enjoyment I get, if its good to begin with. I own very few new single issues, all TPBs and digital purchases. Looks INCREDIBLE on AMOLED. I will say this much gents.

Issue 20?
tumblr_nsq8qjj9mN1qgggqfo3_250.gif

Vic_Viper

Hes definetly my favorite with Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder following behind. Have yet to read a bad book by Remender other than maybe Axis. But that really doesnt count since it felt like Marvel had more input in that crossover than anything else hes worked on and the lead up to it was awesome. Still need to read his new series Seven to Eternity, which Ill probably catch up on tonight. Also been meaning to read his Ultron ogn for awhile now. Have it just sitting on my desk waiting to be read when I have the time. Heard mixed things about it but it has to be soo muich better than the Age of Ultron series from Bendis. I mean Ultron wasnt even in the book until like the final issue lol.

Edit:
Surprised Marvel is going to do an Inhumans tv show. There's no way they will be able to pull of the cgi needed to do them justice in a tv show. Plus what they did with them in AoS was trash. Since it's only 8 episodes I could see them having alil better effects but I still don't think it'll look as good as I'd like. Atleast Black Bolt and the royal family will be the focus.

What they need to do is drop Agents of Shield and make it a straight up Secret Warriors show. Focus on 4 or 5 members with a Nick Fury stand in as the leader. He'll make it Coulson. But drop the whole Shield stuff and focus on the team taking down high profile villains in secret. They started to do something similar last season but dropped it after like 2 episodes. They really wouldn't need much cgi aside from Quake and maybe the villains, plus they could follow a percedual/monster of the week style format.

TheFlow

Banned
Remender is a great enough writer that any place would be lucky to have him. He had proved himself.

I think he is one of the best at image which says something because we all know image is a powerhouse for creative teams

Remender is probably the most uneven dude I enjoy. I'm not sure there's any other writer I'm into that can go from one of the best issues I've read all year then something that makes me cringe and want to drop the book. He's hit higher highs than a fair number of writers I like and far far lower than most.

Hes definetly my favorite with Grant Morrison and Scott Snyder following behind. Have yet to read a bad book by Remender other than maybe Axis. But that really doesnt count since it felt like Marvel had more input in that crossover than anything else hes worked on and the lead up to it was awesome. Still need to read his new series Seven to Eternity, which Ill probably catch up on tonight. Also been meaning to read his Ultron ogn for awhile now. Have it just sitting on my desk waiting to be read when I have the time. Heard mixed things about it but it has to be soo muich better than the Age of Ultron series from Bendis. I mean Ultron wasnt even in the book until like the final issue lol.

I liked Rage of Ultron a lot. It's a great Ultron story. It's not top tier comics but it's a fun and engaging read.

Remender is one of my favorites but I do get tired of his schtick every now and then. He has a strong tendency to throw a bunch of nutty shit at the reader because reasons. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it feels like he's rolling dice on a "random setting/event/obscure character" sheet and challenging himself to incorporate whatever the dice have decreed.

Also, if you don't have daddy issues, you aren't going to connect with roughly, what, 90% of his material. Fortunately I do, so I do.

Yeah, I agree, I find Snyder and Remender to be the most exciting writers, and are at my top, but I think I also read a smaller sample of what is out there then you guys, still.

They can do the mainstream stuff and their original stuff usually seems to be exciting and just flat out awesome. Snyder has done some really great original stuff. I actually haven't read any of his Batman. Below is very cool, like an underwater Aliens.

Only read Remenders Punisher run out of the mainstream stuff, and I think it's the coolest and best Punisher comics there are. Man, that is a fun run! To me that shows, how skilled he is, because you have Garth Ennis and Jason Aaron also writing Punisher like before and after, and I think his run is better, imo. One of the reasons I love Remender is for his Punisher run. Ennis wrote some great Punisher comics, like a million of them! But they are all so dreary and homogenous in tone, and very much about Ennis' ideas about war and killing, and too wordy at times. Remender just wrote some badass Punisher comics that were much lighter on their feet.

I wonder how good the Greg Ruka Punisher is? I don't know why, I just feel, after reading Remender and Aaron Punisher comics, and god knows how many Ennis ones, anything Ruka comes up with would just be sub.

Plus, surely everyone has noted that pretty all of his most recent books have pulled to various extents and successes the
Ned stark/ OH YOU THOUGHT THIS DUDE WAS THE LEAD CHARACTER HUH
method hah

Rucka punisher is really cool, surprisingly quiet and thoughtful at times. Pretty much the punished book I'd want.

Shadow, have you read severed?

TheFlow

Banned
Damn Donnie is right. Remender has been doing the dam tropes across his image titles. You won't notice till you read across all his titles

I liked Rage of Ultron a lot. It's a great Ultron story. It's not top tier comics but it's a fun and engaging read.

Remender is one of my favorites but I do get tired of his schtick every now and then. He has a strong tendency to throw a bunch of nutty shit at the reader because reasons. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it feels like he's rolling dice on a "random setting/event/obscure character" sheet and challenging himself to incorporate whatever the dice have decreed.

Also, if you don't have daddy issues, you aren't going to connect with roughly, what, 90% of his material. Fortunately I do, so I do.

Rage of Ultron was pretty good. Weird ending, though.

Plus, surely everyone has noted that pretty all of his most recent books have pulled to various extents and successes the
Ned stark/ OH YOU THOUGHT THIS DUDE WAS THE LEAD CHARACTER HUH
method hah

Rucka punisher is really cool, surprisingly quiet and thoughtful at times. Pretty much the punished book I'd want.

Shadow, have you read severed?

Yeah, I have, and I loved it. I don't know if loved it as much as everyone else, but I thought it was great. Wytches is pretty cool too, other than the art. Snyder is very reliable. But I think it's easier to do that in your original work. Isn't there a big difference in quality between Hickmans original stuff and the mainstream stuff? I had that conversation with someone, but I guess I haven't really read more than an issue or two of his mainstream stuff.

Remender killed it in X Force and Punisher. Maybe its just me, and I was really in the mood for it, but I really thought highly of Remenders Punisher run. Doing such great work in the mainstream is much rarer. And going back to Fear Agent, that is like kinda a pefect comic book, imo. He doesn't overwrite or choke panels with too much text, which I really appreciate.

Rage of Ultron was pretty good. Weird ending, though.

VERY weird. #thatsmyremender

Duggan picked up that ball and ran with it though. I still haven't read the final issue of the arc but I love Pymtron. It's a smart way to bring Ultron's power level down a bit so he doesn't end up having to job in every single story he's in.

Yeah, I have, and I loved it. Wytches is pretty cool too. Snyder is very reliable. But I think it's easier to do that in your original work. Isn't there a big difference in quality between Hickmans original stuff and the mainstream stuff? I had that conversation with someone, but I guess I haven't really read more than an issue or two of his mainstream stuff.

Remender killed it in X Force and Punisher. Maybe its just me, and I was really in the mood for it, but I really thought highly of Remenders Punisher run. Doing such great work in the mainstream is much rarer. And going back to Fear Agent, that is like kinda a pefect comic book, imo. He doesn't overwrite or choke panels with too much text, which I really appreciate.

Most of comicgaf are fans of Frankencastle, yeah. I thought it was all right; better in concept than in execution. I dropped out before it finished, I just got bored of it.

Is there a big difference in quality between Hickman's cape comic work at Marvel and his original comic work at Image? Hmmm, well, comparing them is a fool's errand because they have different goals, different limitations, different approaches. I will say, East of West is my favorite ongoing right now. Black Monday Murders is up there too. And then I'll say his Avengers run is probably my favorite Avengers run of all time.

VERY weird. #thatsmyremender

Duggan picked up that ball and ran with it though. I still haven't read the final issue of the arc but I love Pymtron. It's a smart way to bring Ultron's power level down a bit so he doesn't end up having to job in every single story he's in.

I really need to catch up on Uncanny Avengers. I started back on with #15 (the Marvel NOW launch) and I'm digging it. I'll pick up the trades on the previous stuff.

Invincible #131

All this time I had to wait from this long ass delay and I get itsfuckingnothing.jpg?

And we need Ryan Ottley back yesterday. This fight would have been so much more tense and exciting with him drawing it.

Yeah, I have, and I loved it. I don't know if loved it as much as everyone else, but I thought it was great. Wytches is pretty cool too, other than the art. Snyder is very reliable.

Haha yea Jocks art in wytches seems to run folks up the wrong way, I've heard that in here a bunch. If you like Snyder btw,.should look into Locke and Key by Joe Hill, or pretty any Stephen King novel. I feel like Snyder really taps into the King way of constructing a story and the nature of his horror. He's probably the closest thing in comics.

tim1138

God I love Cave Carson, and the Scioli back ups are so freaking great too. It's nice to have a little imprint that's making comics weird again.

TheFlow

Banned
Doctor Strange #14

Bachalo did a great job, but the overall plot was meh. Like the other issues I don't care for it much. Doctor Strange going through the gauntlet by fighting one of his rogue's each issue is not what I wanted. This is probably Aaron's weakest books.

3/5

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Haha yea Jocks art in wytches seems to run folks up the wrong way, I've heard that in here a bunch. If you like Snyder btw,.should look into Locke and Key by Joe Hill, or pretty any Stephen King novel. I feel like Snyder really taps into the King way of constructing a story and the nature of his horror. He's probably the closest thing in comics.

Because they both suck at endings. :)

Because they both suck at endings. :)

Locke and Key has a bad ending?

Edit: wait hahaha I think I've totally lost the flow of the conversation here...I didn't mean Tom King novel lol

Kings = the King family. Stephen and Joe. Although, I'm honestly gonna be surprised if Vision doesn't end strongly, if we're talking Tom.

Aceun

Surprised Marvel is going to do an Inhumans tv show. There's no way they will be able to pull of the cgi needed to do them justice in a tv show. Plus what they did with them in AoS was trash. Since it's only 8 episodes I could see them having alil better effects but I still don't think it'll look as good as I'd like. Atleast Black Bolt and the royal family will be the focus.

I think a big part that people are missing is that this is a deal between ABC, Marvel and IMAX with IMAX helping to foot the bill in order to make it more cinema quality.

NYT had a pretty good run down of the whole deal: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/15/b...-tv-series-will-arrive-via-theaters.html?_r=0

Top Bottom