• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Yeah that was Messi's mistake.

I was taking about Snyder and Stephen King's endings.

Oh right. I was talking about coming at horror from a character centric/personal fear position though, not endings? And also I'm not sure I'd get behind that anyway, as any kind of general of thumb. Dude has 50 odd books, there's definitely a few out there though, Gerald's game comes to mind, and the stand being the most high profile one where i was like "huh. That's it?" What were you thinking of?

If you were to tell me stuff like Salem's lot, the long walk, the shining, misery, the green mile, pet semetary don't have the perfect ending though, I dunno. I couldn't get behind that. (Personally would say the dark tower ends fantastically too, but not sure I'd go to bat for it). Somehow I forgot Cujo too.

For a little more of my thoughts on King ending, I actually discussed this a little the other day with someone in the reading thread: Click (whoops, linked the wrong post first time, fixed now)

Terry Pratchett tho.

I still really want to get through all the discworld books one day. I read the first 12 I think? And one of his stand alones, Nation. Really enjoyable funny stuff, but just time, I need more. I like the book he wrote with Gaiman too. I reckon I'll have read all of King's stuff by the end of 2017, then I'll be salivating for good books to read, maybe then. Need to get through more of China Mieville's bibliography too

dan2026

Was going to check out Infamous Iron Man because Doom is the greatest.
But then I realised Bendis is writing it, so I didn't.

Was going to check out Infamous Iron Man because Doom is the greatest.
But then I realised Bendis is writing it, so I didn't.

Your loss

Just out of curiosity...are there folks here who have actually read a good chunk of Bendis' most well-regarded work, i.e., Alias, Daredevil, Sam and Twitch, Jinx, early Powers, early Ultimate Spider-Man...and hate him anyway?

Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron DOOM both had terrific first issues and caught a lot of praise here from folks who actually read them

I still really want to get through all the discworld books one day. I read the first 12 I think? And one of his stand alones, Nation. Really enjoyable funny stuff, but just time, I need more. I like the book he wrote with Gaiman too. I reckon I'll have read all of King's stuff by the end of 2017, then I'll be salivating for good books to read, maybe then. Need to get through more of China Mieville's bibliography too

Ahhh man, Discworld is so damn good. The guides I saw recommended tackling the individual character groups like individual series; I'd read the Guards books previously, and the Death ones, but I'm going back now and filling in the holes. The first couple Rincewind ones were just okay, but they're really good now, and both Pyramids and Small Gods were FANTASTIC. Particularly Small Gods.

A week behind on my books as usual but I loved Wonder Woman #10. It's still early days but Rucka seems to be getting close to the quality of his first run. Nicola Scott's artwork fits the Year One arc so well too.

Your loss

Just out of curiosity...are there folks here who have actually read a good chunk of Bendis' most well-regarded work, i.e., Alias, Daredevil, Sam and Twitch, Jinx, early Powers, early Ultimate Spider-Man...and hate him anyway?

I've read everything on that list except for Sam & Twitch, and yes, yes I do. I'm not blind to the idea that he could write a good book, but he hasn't for awhile now, though both Iron books seem promising even if I'm not keen on either concept.

He is out of his depth writing the big, push-the-universe-forward books. But we've been around the houses on this dozens of times and nobody is going to be convinced at this stage. I'm going to pull a Messi "hey, like what you like, it's all good".

Sandfox

Bendis is actually putting out some very strong books atm.

Your loss

Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron DOOM both had terrific first issues and caught a lot of praise here from folks who actually read them
The only Bendis ongoing that people seem to have a problem with is Guardians and that's ending.

I didn't buy it because of how quickly Bendis's previous Iron-Man run went to crap after the artist change and then he ditched it for two new characters. I can see the same thing happening to his two new Iron-man titles.
How would that work.
It's interesting how the retailers seem to be so down on Marvel, but Marvel had fairly sizable leads in unit sales and revenue for October. It seems like we'll be closer to parity soon as Marvel's #1s will obviously drop, but even with that drop the two should remain fairly close.
In terms of money, Marvel wasn't that far off in September either and it will probably stay that way. I don't like using those numbers though because there are other factors at play, like digital and scholastic.

Your loss

I'd take a lot for me to hate a writer man, I'd be quicker to say he's just not for me. I'm not much of a reader of his stuff anymore, but I fucking ADORED Alias & Daredevil back in the day. Powers, I always thought was fine, but Alias & Daredevil, so good. Since then I've always been open to a good Bendis book, and I always will be. I'm just not sure I'll find it. I always found his ultimate spiderman stuff way too decompressed. I liked the very beginning year of new avengers well enough, I just didn't follow too much further. His X-men stuff, again, it had it's moments but felt really decompressed. I felt like I had to buy and read a ton just for a bit of plot movement, and bear in mind, I really like character centric writing.

Perfectly willing to give Jones & Iron doom a shot though. Very open to anything he does with Maleev or Gaydos. I didn't mind Scarlet but decided just to ignore it until it's done, such a slow schedule.

EDIT: OH yea, more recently I did try the first vol of invincible iron man and it just did nothing for me. Was surprised to see people so excited for the Riri book, given that run.
Ahhh man, Discworld is so damn good. The guides I saw recommended tackling the individual character groups like individual series; I'd read the Guards books previously, and the Death ones, but I'm going back now and filling in the holes. The first couple Rincewind ones were just okay, but they're really good now, and both Pyramids and Small Gods were FANTASTIC. Particularly Small Gods.

Yea, they are awesome man. That sounds like a good way to read them, although I'm not sure I could have did that then, not sure how far along they were. Guards, Guards was my first ever discworld book ,I picked it up in a library sale because of the great artwork on the cover and was blown away. Went back to the beginning and just started reading them in order. I remember Pyramids, that one was great. Did you ever play the private eye noir game ha? I loved that back in the day too.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Early (and Mid, basically up to the last issue before Secret Wars) Ultimate Spider-Man gives Bendis a pass for life from me. His team stuff isn't always the best, but USM got me into comics.

My biggest problem with him is the over abundance of double page splashes, and how nothing really happens over the course of a single issue. It never really feels like you're getting your money's worth with a 2016 Bendis book.

I've read everything on that list except for Sam & Twitch, and yes, yes I do. I'm not blind to the idea that he could write a good book, but he hasn't for awhile now, though both Iron books seem promising even if I'm not keen on either concept.

He is out of his depth writing the big, push-the-universe-forward books. But we've been around the houses on this dozens of times and nobody is going to be convinced at this stage. I'm going to pull a Messi "hey, like what you like, it's all good".

Fair enough and I agree with that last bit. "It's Bendis so it's bad" just rubs me the wrong way but I respect it when it comes from your own subjective experiences. There are very few creators I think can be dismissed out of hand, and in every case I feel like I've read enough of their stuff to know I won't like it. If you can back it up I have nothing to complain about.

dan2026

Your loss

I liked Sam and Twitch.

Problem is I tend to find Bendis writes characters to fit the story instead of the other way round. So you get some awful bizarre character treatments that don't make sense.

That and the constant pop culture references and jokes that were probably only funny in Bendis' head.

And this all got worse over time.
Bendis is like Loeb for me. Was once good (with some caveats) but now is generally awful.

TheFlow

Banned

LOL NO to this.

I don't even care about Bendis but this is just so incorrect. Spider-Man is so damn good, and great for POC who are reading it like me.

JJ, Infamous doom, and Riri are all great starts. I avoid all his event stuff but even I can't deny his work

Edit: I first started reading his stuff with Ultimate Spider-man and the stuff he has done with Miles is just <3.

Messi

Absolutely adore this cover

435810._SX1160_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Fair enough and I agree with that last bit. "It's Bendis so it's bad" just rubs me the wrong way but I respect it when it comes from your own subjective experiences. There are very few creators I think can be dismissed out of hand, and in every case I feel like I've read enough of their stuff to know I won't like it. If you can back it up I have nothing to complain about.

Oh I agree you can't dismiss the majority of writers out of hand, and I include Bendis in that. My list in that regard, my actual list, is fairly small. Daniel Way would be on the top, along with Mike Costa and Shane McCarthy, not many afterward either.

LOL NO to this.

I don't even care about Bendis but this is just so incorrect. Spider-Man is so damn good, and great for POC who are reading it like me.

JJ, Infamous doom, and Riri are all great starts. I avoid all his event stuff but even I can't deny his work

Edit: I first started reading his stuff with Ultimate Spider-man and the stuff he has done with Miles is just <3.

1-2 issues isn't enough to form a full opinion of any book, IMO. There just isn't enough content there, especially in a modern comic. That's why I said the Iron books were promising, they haven't earned being called great yet. Even Guardians, I stuck with that for far, far too long before I dropped it.

I can't speak to Miles because I don't care about him, and have never read a book with just him in it. My experience with him is basically ANAD Avengers/Champions and the Spider-Men crossover. He doesn't make me irrationally angry like Sam, so there is that.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh I agree you can't dismiss the majority of writers out of hand, and I include Bendis in that. My list in that regard, my actual list, is fairly small. Daniel Way would be on the top, along with Mike Costa and Shane McCarthy, not many afterward either.

1-2 issues isn't enough to form a full opinion of any book, IMO. There just isn't enough content there, especially in a modern comic. That's why I said the Iron books were promising, they haven't earned being called great yet. Even Guardians, I stuck with that for far, far too long before I dropped it.

I can't speak to Miles because I don't care about him, and have never read a book with just him in it. My experience with him is basically ANAD Avengers/Champions and the Spider-Men crossover. He doesn't make me irrationally angry like Sam, so there is that.
What do you mean for a modern comic? JJ have 2 issues out and that should be enough to say yea this is pretty great so far or meh this is pretty rough so far.

Never read a team book to understand an individual character. Spider-man is one of the best solo titles at marvel . get on it

Edit: both issues of Champions is meh. Cyclops is <3 though

What do you mean for a modern comic? JJ have 2 issues out and that should be enough to say yea this is pretty great so far or meh this is pretty rough so far.

Never read a team book to understand an individual character. Spider-man is one of the best solo titles at marvel . get on it

Edit: both issues of Champions is meh. Cyclops is <3 though

Comics, on the whole, are more decompressed than they used to be. It's not as bad as it was in the mid-00s where everything was written for the trade, but it is there.

Also, I ain't reading Spider-Man. I'm time and money poor right now, there is no room on my pulls for something I may not like.

I prefer to go on three dates with a book before inviting it upstairs for "coffee"

If I'm really not feeling it, it's dropped after three. Books in the middle for me go to six, or the end of the first arc. I was a lot more strict with Rebirth books because of the double shipping though.

TheFlow

Banned
You don't even like coffee.
This post is amazing.

Comics, on the whole, are more decompressed than they used to be. It's not as bad as it was in the mid-00s where everything was written for the trade, but it is there.

Also, I ain't reading Spider-Man. I'm time and money poor right now, there is no room on my pulls for something I may not like.

If I'm really not feeling it, it's dropped after three. Books in the middle for me go to six, or the end of the first arc. I was a lot more strict with Rebirth books because of the double shipping though.
FAir enough mate

I have a bunch of things I'd like to reread. But how am I supposed to reread old things when I have all of the new things?

That is a good problem to have!

I guess I lied, I do have the two most recent volumes of AmVamp to read and I think ill do a reread of that after Y. Maybe ill finally read izombie now too, that's been sitting for literally years now.

Started watching the Marco Polo Netflix series. Finished episode 1 and 2. Interesting so far.

It's cool man. I love the setting, the lavishness of the sets and costumes, the music and atmosphere. I liked the plot a lot, my girlfriend was a bit cooler on season 1. We're watching season 2 right now both loving it, they go in some really interesting directions.

I was just getting ready to ask if anyone picked this up. Looks cool.

You didn't let me know what King endings you don't like, thought I gave you a pretty in-depth response :p

My rent is going up €200 a month, so yeah, I feel ya buddy. I may just take a break for awhile.
This will be my first time so I'm kinda worried and excited.
Don't people take on roomies to relieve budget concerns?
If I choose to move in I'm staying with 2 other roomies and my rent will be $425 a month. It's the cheapest so far in my area without resorting to paying $130 every week, which would add up to over $500 a month. There was one for $300 a month but they wanted a female roommate. Also keep in mind utilities and internet is included.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
It's cool man. I love the setting, the lavishness of the sets and costumes, the music and atmosphere. I liked the plot a lot, my girlfriend was a bit cooler on season 1. We're watching season 2 right now both loving it, they go in some really interesting directions.

You didn't let me know what King endings you don't like, thought I gave you a pretty in-depth response :p

The Stand is the only King book I've read.

Malyse

Harley and Ivy are legit scary when you think of how easily they could destroy people. Harley is straight up brilliant; couple that with a toxin to make you more pliable to suggestion? Yeah, those two together are a top tier threat.

Yea, they are awesome man. That sounds like a good way to read them, although I'm not sure I could have did that then, not sure how far along they were. Guards, Guards was my first ever discworld book ,I picked it up in a library sale because of the great artwork on the cover and was blown away. Went back to the beginning and just started reading them in order. I remember Pyramids, that one was great. Did you ever play the private eye noir game ha? I loved that back in the day too.

Never have, I should try and track it down at some point.

Never have, I should try and track it down at some point.

I wish it was on gog, I think it'd be a bit of a trial to get running now. In fact, easiest way probably would be a virtual machine and Windows 98 haha. Worth your time if you can make it happen though. I think when I played it I wasn't even sure what noir was yet, so it was pretty enchanting.

A week behind on my books as usual but I loved Wonder Woman #10. It's still early days but Rucka seems to be getting close to the quality of his first run. Nicola Scott's artwork fits the Year One arc so well too.

I've fallen a week behind as well. Feels bad man.

--

Captain America: Steve Rogers is interesting. I want to like it. I like where the story is going. But I think the execution is just bad. We are several issues in and it still feels like it's "setting up" as opposed to stuff actually happening. I think it's a combination of Steve's narration (which feels useless at times with how basic it is) and the over reliance on exposition to get the ball moving every chapter.

I think there's an interesting story underneath it all. I'm getting less confident that it'll be told in an interesting way though.

Top Bottom