• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Messi

Harley and Ivy are legit scary when you think of how easily they could destroy people. Harley is straight up brilliant; couple that with a toxin to make you more pliable to suggestion? Yeah, those two together are a top tier threat.

Can't rely on Harley. She's a wildcard depending on her mood even with Ivy.

Ivy's power level and even her level of craftiness vary more wildly than almost any other major Bat-villain depending on who's writing her

Occasionally she is practically a goddess

Zombine

Banned
So...I was ready to crap on Thanos #1 because it's another freaking Thanos story, but after I read it I can confirm that it's freaking incredible. Wow Deodato puts in some work.

I always found his ultimate spiderman stuff way too decompressed. I liked the very beginning year of new avengers well enough, I just didn't follow too much further. His X-men stuff, again, it had it's moments but felt really decompressed. I felt like I had to buy and read a ton just for a bit of plot movement, and bear in mind, I really like character centric writing.

With Marvel Unlimited, I wonder if decompression in Bendis comics will become less of a complaint. As monthly installments, the decompression can feel like you're not getting enough story for your buck. If you're binging say Bendis's Invincible Ironman on MU, does it make a difference in how you read his work?

Dusknoir

I liked this issue of Batman until
the last three pages...
The dialog and characterization is great until
the last three pages...
Turned this issue that was a 5 to a 2 out of 5. I actually felt bad
reading the ending.
:(

I liked this issue of Batman until
the last three pages...
The dialog and characterization is great until
the last three pages...
Turned this issue that was a 5 to a 2 out of 5. I actually felt bad
reading the ending.
:(

Did he do the repeated phrases thing or something?

With Marvel Unlimited, I wonder if decompression in Bendis comics will become less of a complaint. As monthly installments, the decompression can feel like you're not getting enough story for your buck. If you're binging say Bendis's Invincible Ironman on MU, does it make a difference in how you read his work?

Haha, well, i don't read monthly, I read by trade. For invincible iron man I read the first volume, which I assume was five issues. For x-men, I had grabbed 3 volumes of all new and 2 of uncanny I believe. Fair point though, and as always, it was just my experience. It probably doesn't help he writes so much marvel stuff. I honestly try to keep my cape book pulls to a minimum and only read the cream of the crop, so i have more cash available for image books, dakr horse etc the stuff I'm really invested in. If the book can't speak to me on a level after a volume, I'm generally more cuthroat over a marvel or DC book. I imagine if Bendis was to really get behind creator owned again, I'd give him more rope.

I don't mind a slow paced story btw driven by where the characters take it, but it has to feel meaningful, or be thought provoking. I'd maybe say more of that against his stuff that ive tried in recent years more than it being decompressed, that's an easy buzz word that's probably overused and not a good indicator of my full meaning ha just habit.

Really hope this Thanos book keeps up the good reception, I want to get behind this book and see Lemire nail it.

Dusknoir

Sorry I didn't notice what I did there. I'm not really good at writing reviews for books. I wrote this while I was still processing the book. lol

paper thin millar elevator pitch idea as usual
can't quite put your finger on whats so samey about all his dialogue but its all so samey as usual
Mark Millars dialogue is definitely same across all his books. SGM mentioned how quick Millar turns in scripts with dialogue in some interview about hire they like working together.

It doesn't seem like he does many if any dialogue passes. He's uses the same dialogue like an artist uses the same poses

Ex:

A genius will be in conversation when the other character begins to list off 3-4 revolutionary ideas that they've read in the genius's work.

Some powerful character will beat down another character while listing their impressive Powers and abilities and ending with a 'in other words, you're screwed'

Some character will be introduced by another character in terms of how much a dangerouz genius they are by describing some totally nonsensical achievement in one sentence.

Valiant coming to the CW
http://deadline.com/2016/11/dr-mirage-the-cw-gary-dauberman-valiant-comics-dmg-1201855462/
The CW, which has six on-air series based on comic books, is looking to add to its portfolio with a drama based on the Valiant graphic novel Dr. Mirage. The project marks DMG Entertainment (Iron Man 3, Looper, Point Break) and Valiant’s first foray into television. Writer Gary Dauberman — who penned probably the most profitable film of 2014 with the horror title Annabelle (on a $5M budget it grossed $256.8M worldwide) — will write the TV adaptation and executive produce the project alongside DMG’s Chris Fenton and Chris Cowles. CBS TV Studios is the studio.

Dr. Mirage centers on a female paranormal investigator who can communicate with dead souls except the one she most wants to reach — the love of her life.

Mark Millars dialogue is definitely same across all his books. SGM mentioned how quick Millar turns in scripts with dialogue in some interview about hire they like working together.

It doesn't seem like he does many if any dialogue passes. He's uses the same dialogue like an artist uses the same poses

Ex:

A genius will be in conversation when the other character begins to list off 3-4 revolutionary ideas that they've read in the genius's work.

Some powerful character will beat down another character while listing their impressive Powers and abilities and ending with a 'in other words, you're screwed'

Some character will be introduced by another character in terms of how much a dangerouz genius they are by describing some totally nonsensical achievement in one sentence.

*sigh* And I live less than an hour from this guy. What did I do wrong with my life.

Sorry I didn't notice what I did there. I'm not really good at writing reviews for books. I wrote this while I was still processing the book. lol

I wasn't making fun of you lol. What little I've seen of Tom King's Batman has a lot of repeated phrases. Like when Gotham was talking to Bats and he told him he was just a man in a suit like three times in one issue.

Messi

I wasn't making fun of you lol. What little I've seen of Tom King's Batman has a lot of repeated phrases. Like when Gotham was talking to Bats and he told him he was just a man in a suit like three times in one issue.

It was certainly intentional in that issue where
Gotham Girl shaves her head and has a complete breakdown :(

Dr. Mirage is like the one Valiant title that I haven't read a single issue of so of course it is getting a CW pilot.

That was my first Valiant book. Really enjoyed it. Though if one book should have gotten a CW pilot, it should have been War Mother. Even though it's a one-shot, it was dope af.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Black Hammer #5: After a small-scope family drama issue (#4), we get a cosmic-scope run through the para-zone. Nothing currently being published touches this book. 5/5

Saw this posted over on CBR and I had to share. Bendis remembers continuity when he feels like it:

rupgvb5bpimnqpggywvi.png

moneyhoney8.jpg

Dusknoir

Yea after jumping in Action Comics #967 I'm going to take picking it up again. Glad I waited the Doomsday arc to hop back in because this feels like it needed the other superman books to develop so that this title could get going. I might go back and get 965 and 966 but I already get the what's going on so that'll just be a waste of money. I loved the art in this issue. Also love Lex's position in Rebirth right now. Glad this is on my pull list again.

Next if I come across extra cash I'm going to start Aquaman from #10. I heard it's been good lately. If only it was a monthly...maybe it'll become a one next spring.

Messi

Looks like amazon updated the Saga OHC vol 2 listing with this image. Usually when they do that its the real cover. I for one love it as she is easily my fave.

418XcyDX5ZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

People talking about Remender's main character fake outs in a world where Tom King repeats lines of dialogue at a comical rate.

"Refuse to turn him over...and I will break your damn back" x 50. Start with heavy-handed monotony and never surrender. It's less effective each issue, and it wasn't effective to start. Tedious AF.

yo can we talk about that Batman page that looks like it's the 3D pipes screensaver

That whole spread was odd. The word bubbles didn't really have a good flow and the pipes and models didn't really lead to a good line of direction across the spread.

I like Janin's art, especially his work on Bruce and Selina this arc, but that was not a good spread lol

That whole spread was odd. The word bubbles didn't really have a good flow and the pipes and models didn't really lead to a good line of direction across the spread.

I like Janin's art, especially his work on Bruce and Selina this arc, but that was not a good spread lol

I agree, the execution was really lacking. It looks gorgeous in my mind's eye, but every time I actually look at it, it's a mess.

frye

Yeah it's ugly and also doesn't really work in terms of storytelling.

"It's called a mantle, not a womantle."
Your loss

Just out of curiosity...are there folks here who have actually read a good chunk of Bendis' most well-regarded work, i.e., Alias, Daredevil, Sam and Twitch, Jinx, early Powers, early Ultimate Spider-Man...and hate him anyway?

Jessica Jones and Infamous Iron DOOM both had terrific first issues and caught a lot of praise here from folks who actually read them
I like Bendis fine, but I do think he has a problem. I dropped both International and Invincible Iron Man (pre-Riri) because I felt like they went nowhere. Invincible after the second arc, and International with the first. It felt like a lot of nothing was accomplished. Like subplots being handled as main plots. There's a reason they are subplots. His Moon Knight run also had this problem, which I've talked about before.

I also think he has a problem of just sputtering out. His X-Men runs had that problem in spades. They were really strong for the majority of the run, then just sort of spiraled and sputtered out. And I loved those runs.

I like Bendis. I liked most of his runs in total (Alias and Daredevil) or at the very least for the majority (UXM/ANXM/Moon Knight). In the case of both his Iron Man books, I liked those for at least an arc, and I'm really enjoying Civil War 2. I think he's a solid writer, and consistently has great concepts and/or takes on characters. Without him we wouldn't have Jessica Jones, Miles Morales (who I'm cool on, but there's no doubt how progressive and popular he's been), or even modern Luke Cage. He's a good writer, he just has a problem actually going places. Either he takes too long to get there, takes too long at the end (and sputters as a result), or just goes nowhere. He can't always get it spot on, but when he does, damn is it good.
I've fallen a week behind as well. Feels bad man.

--

Captain America: Steve Rogers is interesting. I want to like it. I like where the story is going. But I think the execution is just bad. We are several issues in and it still feels like it's "setting up" as opposed to stuff actually happening. I think it's a combination of Steve's narration (which feels useless at times with how basic it is) and the over reliance on exposition to get the ball moving every chapter.

I think there's an interesting story underneath it all. I'm getting less confident that it'll be told in an interesting way though.
I think the execution is fine, I just think that CW2 has forced Spencer to spin the wheels a bit, which means a lot of set-up. Especially considering Steve's role in CW2. That said, I expect payoff soon. We're seeing his machinations bleed into other books (Sam Wilson) as well.
Ivy's power level and even her level of craftiness vary more wildly than almost any other major Bat-villain depending on who's writing her

Occasionally she is practically a goddess
She's a knight of the Green (or something like that) in the New 52.

mreddie

Infamous Iron Man was ok, Thing doesn't show up as much as the comic believes you to think, it's Doom stopping his former allies from doing stuff

Jessica Jones: Okay, so that part is revealed but what the hell is going on with Jess and OH HEY
SPOT IS BACK

Squirrel Girl: Kinda felt rushed to be honest but cool battle at the end, I kinda wanted more from the Canada arc.

Green Arrow: Canary/Arrow are WAAAAAAYYYYY BETTER at their jobs than their fellow DC heroes.

Raven: I feel this book has a religion undertone somewhere, maybe it'll show itself as the mini ends but I'm enjoying this.

JTripper

Anyone else love today's issue of Nightwing? I've been enjoying Seeley's run so far but YO THAT LAST PAGE (I haven't read previews of future issues so I was unaware of the next arc)

Anyone else love today's issue of Nightwing? I've been enjoying Seeley's run so far but YO THAT LAST PAGE (I haven't read previews of future issues so I was unaware of the next arc)

Loved it. Nightwing is neck and neck with Green Arrow as my favorite DC title. Both books are on a different level than the rest of Rebirth.

The Monster Men crossover hurt the momentum, but it's right back.

Top Bottom