• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

VanWinkle

I don't know if anybody else here reads Trinity anymore, but the issue today was great, and WOW did Clay Mann KILL IT on art in this issue. Incredible job.

Batman #11 - I've been cold on this book since launch, with the exception of one scene in one issue. This was the worst issue yet. I'm at the point where I have zero confidence that King "gets" Batman. This issue illustrates a fundamental disconnect between his characterizations and what I like any Batman's world. We spent one entire run focused on random superhero siblings that I don't give a shit about. Now we're neck deep in a Catwoman character assassination thinly disguised as a Bane story. None of this works for me.

Damn Steve Epting preview for the mighty thor #13, really cool , it's fun imagining how the book might be different if he had been the regular artist (not that I'd trade Dauterman at all).

Click

Also, dat Stokoe variant for Nova, jeez

5526303-3+nova2016003_stokoe_var.jpg

Neat list. Most of those I knew about, save for a couple. Mostly that I had no idea that they were retcons.

The one with Batman's parents is irrelevant now and has been for years.

EDIT: Dammit you added another list
Yeah, I never visit CBR these days so when I notice a list has been added on twitter I usually look if Cronin did other lists that I missed.

Edit: The UK are ordering the most USAvengers #1 issues and has their own state cover. This comic's issue 3 sales will probably be sad. No store will be able to sell all these issues.

TheFlow

Banned
Spider-Man #9

Where is Spider-man the issue! While it was cool to see all his supporting cast come out, the lack of the spider made the issue kinda boring.

3/5

Green Arrow

This book is quickly going down the drain to how Percy was writing before Rebirth. Nothing makes sense, everything is cheesy and forced, and lets throw in some protesting or random activism because Ollie is the social justice warrior.

What the hell happened to this train being a secret passage for them to bring drugs into the county with nobody knowing or being able to stop it? Then it made it seem like maybe it was some kind of Elitist social club on tracks, but now it's some public transit that is being protested and everyone knows about it?

Besides all that it feels like Percy is trying to keep the fun up but he somehow lost it and doesn't know what people were actually seeing as fun. Stupid lines like "I know I think they were shocked to see me too." and "I feel like I'm showing up in a chess game 5 moves late" just come off stupid as fuck. You came into a game 5 moves late? You literally walked into a train car where you knew the bad guy was and found a dead person. What exactly happened that you didn't expect or couldn't have known was happening? It's not like you uncovered some huge plot of double and triple crosses. This is the dumbest straight forward piece of shit story where the bad guy talks to himself about how he is the fucking bad guy.

This was really fucking dumb.

Batman

I'm really intrigued by this issue. There is so much emphasis and hinting that I'm just left curious on where it goes from here. The number of people they keep mentioning has to be important, they just bring it up too much. Bat's seemed way too pissed and determined for this not to all be up to plan, also you have Catwoman not saying a word about Wesker.

I am really liking this arc and the mystery of it all.

Black Hammer

This issue ended up tragically sad.

Trinity

This issue kind of confuses me. I'm not sure what the actual point of this is now. I realize it's mostly for these 3 to grow together and all that, but it seemed like something different with Clark's 'world' and now that they went back with Bruce it seems like it's something completely different. Not sure really what to say, but I'm just kind of confused.

Green Lanterns

This book is really catching its stride and I'm liking it a lot. Even though not a ton happened in this issue, it dealt with the insecurities of Baz and Jessica while showing the insecurities of the bad guy taking over. This arc is dealing with all of it a lot better than the first arc and its just feeling more natural.

Donnie, I voted on Hellboy in the Injustice 2 guest fighter poll. Would love to have him in the game.

Ha! That would be awesome actually, I've never considered HB for a fighting game.

I would love some sort of HB video game but i don't have the vision for how it would work. Playing the contracts in the witcher 3 made me think of HB's short stories, wandering the English countryside finding reports of strange occurrences and using his knowledge of folklore and pockets full of charms to get rid of things, but that game is way too big in scope. Maybe more like the chapters in witcher 2. It's not like Hellboy finds a monster every ten yards though. Maybe getting stuck in the baba yaga's dream of old russia.

I can see the form of HB Abe, Liz, Johann all having different skill sets working in a traversal or metroidvania type way but something so gamey feels wrong too. It's be so hard to capture the spirit of HB in a game. The spinoffs work a bit better in my minds eye, witchfinder or the lobster, I can see easier possibilities there for several reason.

The heart of HB is the rambling hero. Waking up beneath a banana tree in one story, washing up on a deserted island in another, always finding trouble so something open would feel right, but I'm not sure that kind of aimless quality would suit a game. You'd have to contrive a story where he would run into danger more often anyway.

LOL licensing nightmare.

I think they were thinking more along the lines of properties WB actually owns. Like Bugs Bunny. What's wrong with Bugs Bunny?

Well Boon put HB on the poll, if WB don't have any sort of route to a licensing agreement there they'll need to have a word with him themselves haha. Looks like Spawn is going to win though anyway, how dullll

A game where Hellboy is in Hell would be fantastic imo

That could deffo be another setting solution for sure. We never did get to see all that Mike had in mind for Hell either.

Mindwipe

Cool, Rat Queens is coming back. Hopefully Weibe has found someone he can work with better than Tess Fowler. Hard to get a feel for the art from that to be honest, so much of it will depend on storytelling with the expressions.

VanWinkle

Trinity

This issue kind of confuses me. I'm not sure what the actual point of this is now. I realize it's mostly for these 3 to grow together and all that, but it seemed like something different with Clark's 'world' and now that they went back with Bruce it seems like it's something completely different. Not sure really what to say, but I'm just kind of confused.

It's about getting past the tragedies of the past and looking forward, eventually becoming a stronger unit together. I wouldn't be surprised to see WW get her issue next. I think a lot of it is Manapul coping with the loss of his father recently.

Read volumes 3 and 4 of Ms Marvel last night. 3 was a little so and so mostly because I felt the art wasn't consistent enough. Miyazawa and Wyatt are fine artists but they don't give life to the book the way Alphona does

His thin wiry lines just gives the book a strong identity that's hard to replace.

One thing that sticks out is that Ms Marvel is such a perfect book for teens, especially immigrants with strict parents haha

Kamala's fandom and need to blurt out memes will date the book but I don't see that as a problem. Books come from times and places and they shouldn't be afraid to reflect that. Youth pop culture changes quickly, it's fine if Ms Marvel reflects that.

Vol 4 was a giant punch in the gut. It was so damn good. It's the end of the world and there are so many fantastic moments. From Captain Marvel's role in the end, to her brother defending himself and his choices, to her mother revealing her secret (which when she explains is like the most obvious motherly thing which I love) to that snobby classmate apologizing for her behavior to the whole community pulling together it was a beautiful end to the first 'season' of the series.

Cool, Rat Queens is coming back. Hopefully Weibe has found someone he can work with better than Tess Fowler. Hard to get a feel for the art from that to be honest, so much of it will depend on storytelling with the expressions.

This is the only other one I can find by the new artist:

Hum. Painful to read that thing on bleedingcool about how some retailers admitted they didn't order any of Motor Crush #1 because it has a black female lead. Not because they themselves have any inherent bias but simply because it wouldn't sell. Sad people judge books this way. I'm all onboard for that book, and I don't think I've actively thought about the protag being female or black yet. I guess I probably won't unless it's something relevant to the themes of the book. I mean, understand reality is a lot of folks don't think that way, but it's still just a bit eh. Not great to read (assuming it's not just a BC trash article that they made up to fill out the day).

What are the odds of Gieni being on for the first arc only before the Roc makes his big return to RQ?

Neoxon

Damn Steve Epting preview for the mighty thor #13, really cool , it's fun imagining how the book might be different if he had been the regular artist (not that I'd trade Dauterman at all).

Click

Also, dat Stokoe variant for Nova, jeez

5526303-3+nova2016003_stokoe_var.jpg
This new Nova run can't get here fast enough.

Though minor complaint, shouldn't Richard's outfit be dark blue rather than completely black?

Painful to read that thing on bleedingcool about how some retailers admitted they didn't order any of Motor Crush #1 because it has a black female lead. Not because they themselves have any inherent bias but simply because it wouldn't sell. Sad people judge books this way.

Thanks a lot, Trump.

Messi

Soon people will realize the error in blaming Tess Fowler for every problem Rat Queens had. The real problem is Wiebe who clearly had no idea where he was going with it and had no idea how to get back to what made it fun in the first place. No artist can fix that.

Checked the next CW2 preview. Is Bendis messing up how Spider powers work now? Just because they have a spider sense doesn't mean teleporting them away wouldn't work. Having Carol of all people say it as a fact is really strange.

This is the only other one I can find by the new artist:

Hum. Painful to read that thing on bleedingcool about how some retailers admitted they didn't order any of Motor Crush #1 because it has a black female lead. Not because they themselves have any inherent bias but simply because it wouldn't sell. Sad people judge books this way. I'm all onboard for that book, and I don't think I've actively thought about the protag being female or black yet. I guess I probably won't unless it's something relevant to the themes of the book. I mean, understand reality is a lot of folks don't think that way, but it's still just a bit eh. Not great to read (assuming it's not just a BC trash article that they made up to fill out the day).

That article is also such an underhanded wack attempt at "showing" pretty much the whole preview issue

Scum reporting about scum

#TrumpsAmerica

Oh nice, for anyone interested that's the second multiversity podcast up with John Arcudi. This week covers his BPRD work and the final issue, so keep away if you don't want spoilers. I will say last week's episode about the rest of his career was really interesting. Lots of cool stuff about the industry, I certainly learned some stuff I didn't know about him (I had no idea Arcudi, along with Doug Mahnke, was the creator of The Mask as we all know it from the Carrey movie) 1hr 40mins this time.

It's about getting past the tragedies of the past and looking forward, eventually becoming a stronger unit together. I wouldn't be surprised to see WW get her issue next. I think a lot of it is Manapul coping with the loss of his father recently.

My problem is more just with understanding the rules and why of the villain. In Clarks world they're able to interact and possibly change things, but in Bruce's they just stand above the city watching. It just confuses me in the understanding of the story more than the meaning behind it.

I don't want to specifically call anyone out but spoiler tagging has been really bad this week you guys. Maybe think about if you're giving away literally the entire issue before you post a review that doesn't bother with a single tag?

And honor the "don't post pages from brand new books" request? Please?

Messi

I don't want to specifically call anyone out but spoiler tagging has been really bad this week you guys. Maybe think about if you're giving away literally the entire issue before you post a review that doesn't bother with a single tag?

Good luck with that. I eagerly await the fight that is about to happen.

I was pretty bad about that on Green Arrow. I was just really angry lol. I'll correct it.

The new pages thing annoys the hell out of me on the Comic subreddit. That subreddit is basically a race to post the cool or funny page from ever issue on Wednesday. The more annoying part is their titles half the time are spoilers themselves.

Mindwipe

What are the odds of Gieni being on for the first arc only before the Roc makes his big return to RQ?

Not seeing it tbh. Retailer support alone will mean either the book works under Gieni or it'll die completely, and if it's working I don't see them stirring the pot bringing Rochurch back.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I was pretty bad about that on Green Arrow. I was just really angry lol. I'll correct it.

The new pages thing annoys the hell out of me on the Comic subreddit. That subreddit is basically a race to post the cool or funny page from ever issue on Wednesday. The more annoying part is their titles half the time are spoilers themselves.

I finally unfollowed /r/comicbooks yesterday. That was part of the reason (the other part was how angry so many of the commenters get about female characters and non-white/male creators. That part was the bigger part.)

shingi70

Banned
god that is some hair and a half on Star-Lord damnit Anka that's

that's not really my scene

It's weird how post bendis and the indie invasion everyone draws peter like some super hot model dude. I got he was more uniform from the DNA stuff and then I always saw him as sort of slubby hot like the MCU version.

Top Bottom