• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

TheFlow

Banned
No Sunstone omnibus due to it being 800 pages. Will be 2 hardcovers instead. 1+2+3 and 4+5. ~400 pages in each. HC 1 Amazon link.

41q6u94dkql._sx327_bohqu5p.jpg

kinky

So I took a break from pokemon sun (it's really good) to finish up the Titanfall 2 campaign. That was great. I enjoy doom 2016 better but to get two top tier shooter campaigns in one year is a huge treat. Just when all hope was lost wolfenstein lit a torch in the darkness. Then games like Titanfall and doom took it from there. Thank god!

And with that I have reached 52 completed games in one year. Challenge is complete for the first time ever. (Previous best was 35 in 2014).

I also cracked open my kindle paper white and decided to reread American Gods. It's been quite some time since I've read a book and my first thought was "the kindle is tiny!" Hah that's what I get from all my iPad Pro use.

But I want to reread it before the show starts so it's all fresh in my mind.

So I took a break from pokemon sun (it's really good) to finish up the Titanfall 2 campaign. That was great. I enjoy doom 2016 better but to get two top tier shooter campaigns in one year is a huge treat. Just when all hope was lost wolfenstein lit a torch in the darkness. Then games like Titanfall and doom took it from there. Thank god!

I finished it about half an hour ago. Great campaign, IMO. A simple tale, excellently told.

Not sure what to play next now. I should finish Owlboy, I think. I'm going to give the new Hitman another shot as well.

I finished it about half an hour ago. Great campaign, IMO. A simple tale, excellently told.

Not sure what to play next now. I should finish Owlboy, I think. I'm going to give the new Hitman another shot as well.
Yea it knew what it was and didn't try to get too cute. Outside of pokemon I think I'll do COD4:MW Remaster next. Or a VR game.

I also cracked open my kindle paper white and decided to reread American Gods. It's been quite some time since I've read a book and my first thought was "the kindle is tiny!" Hah that's what I get from all my iPad Pro use..

It's a good book. I loved it the first time I read it. Since then, as I've read more Gaiman it's fallen in the pecking order but I still like it. His recent book, the ocean at the end of the lane, is really really good. Would highly recommend that. Short and sweet too. Might give the dark horse adaptation of AG a look.

Also, I am a real outlier on this titanfall 2 campaign. They made an effort and it shows, I appreciate that. For me though, there really was only one level that was engaging mechanically
the switching time planes one
but for the rest I found most of the novel ideas too shortlived with nothing interesting done with them. The combat, even on the second highest difficulty, was just too simple for me as well. Most of this isn't bad, just unfulfilling, and I ended the campaign feeling just fine about it. I certainly wouldn't mention it in the same breath as Doom & Wolfenstein. It's clear people are really really enjoying it though, which is why I've mostly kept quiet on it. I'm glad folks are enjoying it kind of thing, and if people are having a good time, that's what matters.

It's a good book. I loved it the first time I read it. Since then, as I've read more Gaiman it's fallen in the pecking order but I still like it. His recent book, the ocean at the end of the lane, is really really good. Would highly recommend that. Short and sweet too. Might give the dark horse adaptation of AG a look.
Cool! My favorite non comic thing of gaiman is his collections of short stories (Smoke and Mirrors). For novels neverwhere and startdust are my favs

Cool! My favorite non comic thing of gaiman is his collections of short stories (Smoke and Mirrors). For novels neverwhere and startdust are my favs

I have not read his short stories actually, I'll have to mark that one done to read, cheers :) I really like Neverwhere, that is a great book. Good Omens is pretty hilarious too. Pretty cool to see the tv show of AG finally actually happen though, for ages it felt like the dark tower, just one of those things tv producers liked the idea of but not an idea any channel would like enough to ever fund. I like Black Sails on starz a fair bit too, so fingers crossed!

I have not read his short stories actually, I'll have to mark that one done to read, cheers :) I really like Neverwhere, that is a great book. Good Omens is pretty hilarious too. Pretty cool to see the tv show of AG finally actually happen though, for ages it felt like the dark tower, just one of those things tv producers liked the idea of but not an idea any channel would like enough to ever fund. I like Black Sails on starz a fair bit too, so fingers crossed!
If you pick it up one of the best stories is hidden in the intro. A wedding story gaiman wrote.
Yea AG actually is formatted really well for a show since the book itself is organized like American tv shows. Lots of stand alone episodes with the bigger plot working on the fringes except for the start and end

If you pick it up one of the best stories is hidden in the intro. A wedding story gaiman wrote.
Yea AG actually is formatted really well for a show since the book itself is organized like American tv shows. Lots of stand alone episodes with the bigger plot working on the fringes except for the start and end

Definitely, I think the road trippy nature will suit it well too. Plus it's nice that it's an American production. I know that makes sense since its set in America but I just mean that I'm used to Gaiman's stuff ending up under the BBC and it'll be a nice change. Won't be holding my breath on the sandman adaptation though hah

I missed out on the Injustice train, only trying it very recently as a free PS+ game. I'm not hyped for part two. These types of games are tailor made for local versus play or online. Unless there's some significant additions to single player content, I'm not on board.

I've not been decent at a fighting game since Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.

I want a legit Ultimate Alliance type game. Or hell, imagine a well made dual stick action RPG with DC or Marvel licenses. Collectable loot, costumes, persistent leveling. It prints money.

Oh man... Finished BPRD Hell on Earth and it was just phenomenal. I just powered through the last 40 or so issues over the past two days and I'm so impressed by it. I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd probably go more in-depth, but this was hands down one of my favorite comics ever. It's amazing at how good this comic was even after 147 issues. I wonder if we'll ever get a team comic on this level again.

kmfdmpig

I missed out on the Injustice train, only trying it very recently as a free PS+ game. I'm not hyped for part two. These types of games are tailor made for local versus play or online. Unless there's some significant additions to single player content, I'm not on board.

I've not been decent at a fighting game since Super Street Fighter 2 on the SNES.

I want a legit Ultimate Alliance type game. Or hell, imagine a well made dual stick action RPG with DC or Marvel licenses. Collectable loot, costumes, persistent leveling. It prints money.

A modern Ultimate Alliance game (either from Marvel or DC) would be great. I wonder if they are working on one given that they recently sold remastered versions of Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. It sounds like the remasters were fairly weak, so I hope they don't assume a lack of interest in the franchise if it didn't sell well.

I'm assuming you've tried Marvel Heroes on PC? If not, that may be something you'd like.

fair enough. I think you and Freeza are the best so far.

Pffft. Well, obviously.

Sillymonkey used to do a good job

All that guy does now is play Overwatch. Is he up to level 1,000 yet?

So what did y'all think of the new Ironman #1?

I liked it quite a bit. Probably my favorite new Marvel book since Ms. Marvel started.

I liked it, like Infamous Iron Man too

I wasn't as big on Infamous. It was alright, but it felt too mid-tier Bendis-y. Not his best work.

I want to read some good runs featuring Domino. Do any exist?

The Kyle / Yost X-Force series was probably the best book with her I recall.

Oh man... Finished BPRD Hell on Earth and it was just phenomenal. I just powered through the last 40 or so issues over the past two days and I'm so impressed by it. I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd probably go more in-depth, but this was hands down one of my favorite comics ever. It's amazing at how good this comic was even after 147 issues. I wonder if we'll ever get a team comic on this level again.

:}

Supergirl #3
This is the kind of issue that makes me wish Ching is an animator. Pretty cool set pieces and action that I can't help but want to see in motion. It's bright and colorful, and the action moves at a good pace. It holds a great deal of tension as well, because it feels like everything is falling apart:
Kara's new job, her "parents'" employment, and on top of that Eliza is being used as a sacrifice for what I consistently read as "Odin Force," and now her dad leads an army to harvest Earth's life force.
This has got to be a pretty fucked up day for Kara.

One small thing I enjoy is how her dialogue is written. Very text book, which is a great detail because she isn't necessarily fluent. It is jarring, however, since the Kara I've always been used to is DCAU Kara. You know, Superman TAS and JLU Kara. Basically Buffy with way more sass and not as smart. This Kara is radically different from that, but I still expect the sass. My only hang-up on a great book.

I want to read some good runs featuring Domino. Do any exist?
Kyle and Yost X-Force.

A modern Ultimate Alliance game (either from Marvel or DC) would be great. I wonder if they are working on one given that they recently sold remastered versions of Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2. It sounds like the remasters were fairly weak, so I hope they don't assume a lack of interest in the franchise if it didn't sell well.

I'm assuming you've tried Marvel Heroes on PC? If not, that may be something you'd like.
You are my kin. I want a game that hybrids the best parts of the Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends games.

Really was incredible.It kicked off well, but especially once the arcs with Harren & Campbell come along, jeez man. Just unbelievable stuff. It's long but you should give that interview podcast Multiversity put up, really interesting stuff hearing how the whole process of the book worked, and somethings that might have been but that he never got to etc.

Gotta pour one out. For Roger, Daimio, Kate, Panya, Iosef, Johann. Even Darryl haha. Some of the best written characters to be put down on page.

Now that you've finished HB & BPRD, it's worth giving Abe a read btw. It's much more of a side story and it has more of a meandering nature, it's not nearly as vital, but there's some great arcs in there and some huge lore reveals towards the end

kmfdmpig

You are my kin. I want a game that hybrids the best parts of the Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends games.

Ultimate Alliance 1 was right up there at the top of my favorite games from last gen (probably behind Mass Effect and Borderlands, however). Such a fun game with enough depth to make it last long and enough accessibility that my wife and I could play it together. The second one, while still enjoyable, felt like a minor step in the wrong direction.

It's sad and surprising that DC hasn't been able to make a game like that considering that they own the characters and have a video game branch. I know they tried back in 2006 with Justice League Heroes, but that felt like a fairly low-budget attempt. It seems like the perfect type of game for this gen as it could have long legs with DLC character packs, could tie in with events and movies as they come out and I think there would be a strong demand for it.

Zombine

Banned
Kevin Feige and whoever is in charge of the TV division have been rumored to be beefing.

Yeah. What's funny is that Marvel worked so hard to build up their studio and desperately tried to reclaim their brand that they sold off years ago, only to have hubris send them back to the point where they were before...

...in house. Its absolutely moronic. These rich white dudes should go hug it out and play some golf or ride some dune buggies or whatever rich white dudes do.

kmfdmpig

It's sad that both DC and Marvel have shows that are widely appreciated, but keep them completely separated from their films. It seems like such a wasted opportunity.

Zombine

Banned
It's sad that both DC and Marvel have shows that are widely appreciated, but keep them completely separated from their films. It seems like such a wasted opportunity.

The Marvel shows have the benefit of having a consistent tone with the film franchises. You can take Luke Cage or Daredevil and place them nicely into the MCU without any strange transition issues.

Tonally, the CW DC shows are wayyyyyyyy too light and hammy to fit into the DC Film Universe in that specific timeline.

shingi70

Banned
The Marvel shows have the benefit of having a consistent tone with the film franchises. You can take Luke Cage or Daredevil and place them nicely into the MCU without any strange transition issues.

Tonally, the CW DC shows are wayyyyyyyy too light and hammy to fit into the DC Film Universe in that specific timeline.

The funny thing was so long the movie side kept making excuses while the TV side was pretty open. It's even. Weirder that there is a separate split in the TV division where the ABC shows can't interact with the Netflix series.

It just sucks considering the biggest flash has shown with its CG, that ABC couldn't spare a budget to have Ultron show up in the season 2 finale.

Really was incredible.It kicked off well, but especially once the arcs with Harren & Campbell come along, jeez man. Just unbelievable stuff. It's long but you should give that interview podcast Multiversity put up, really interesting stuff hearing how the whole process of the book worked, and somethings that might have been but that he never got to etc.

Gotta pour one out. For Roger, Daimio, Kate, Panya, Iosef, Johann. Even Darryl haha. Some of the best written characters to be put down on page.

Now that you've finished HB & BPRD, it's worth giving Abe a read btw. It's much more of a side story and it has more of a meandering nature, it's not nearly as vital, but there's some great arcs in there and some huge lore reveals towards the end
I'll definitely check it out. I'm away from home for the next few days so I'll check it out next weekend I think.

I do want to start Abe now too lol. Maybe it'll go on sale this week. I wasn't terribly interested but now I want to see what he's been up to during all of this.

I'll definitely check it out. I'm away from home for the next few days so I'll check it out next weekend I think.

I do want to start Abe now too lol. Maybe it'll go on sale this week. I wasn't terribly interested but now I want to see what he's been up to during all of this.

Deep breath, my thoughts on Abe: Yea I definitely wouldn't put it on the level of HB in hell or Hell On Earth. Allie's plotting can be a little over the place at times, he took too long on some things and gave some other sequences/characters way too short a look or reosolution but it was a fun third series in the equation. While the plotting struggled at times, i actually thought his character work and writing was top notch. On that level I would readily take him on BPRD, if he could shake out some of those pacing issues. Hard to know if that was due to the nature of being the third wheel book though or not. Abe's journey of self discovery throughout the series is interesting and the road trip nature ends up showing a lot of different walks of life and how they're coping day to day with the apocalypse. It's a bit more existential about the end of things oppose to the BPRD book where they're trying to do something about it, and Allie did a great job at capturing different voices and showing how we all react different - or sometimes how differen people react the exact same - in times of hardship and crisis.

If you care about the larger lore of the universe I honestly would say the last arc or so of Abe probably hints a lot more about where things are going in the next phase than Hell On Earth really did towards the end & there's stuff from the last few arcs of HoE and in hell that are played with.

Artistically the series was a real joy too, I love how consistent they were with the Fiumara Bros. I would welcome them to the main BPRD series now Harren seems to have moved on for good. Together they really did some work. Amazing.

If In Hell and Hell On Earth were straight 10s, Abe was a solid 8 with some unmissable reveals about Abe and the larger mignolaverse.

From Ellis' newsletter:
Hey, Jon Davis-Hunt did a promo piece for our forthcoming project THE WILD STORM and DC forgot to use it during the announcements, so I'm going to run it here because I feel like it deserves to be seen. Copyright DC Entertainment of course, and please link to orbitaloperations.com if you use it on your website.
I probably shouldn't be doing this. But I really wanted Jon's work to be seen.

img_33302hsaf.jpg

mreddie

Newsrama says

Hellcat, Hellblazer, Aquaman, New Supes, Gotham Academy, Squirrel Girl, Spider Woman and Squadron are on the bubble because of Diamond.

Not counting digital sales and likely won't.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Newsrama says

Hellcat, Hellblazer, Aquaman, New Supes, Gotham Academy, Squirrel Girl, Spider Woman and Squadron are on the bubble because of Diamond.

Not surprised. There's nothing new from the last run, so I dropped it.

Shame about New Superman, as that's fun to read

VanWinkle

Newsrama says

DC isn't going to drop Aquaman. There is zero way. I'd be extremely sad to see New Superman and Gotham Academy go, though.

Hasn't Gotham Academy mostly survived by its digital sales?

DC isn't going to drop Aquaman. There is zero way. I'd be extremely sad to see New Superman and Gotham Academy go, though.

Hasn't Gotham Academy mostly survived by its digital sales?

GA has been "on the bubble" as far as Diamond is concerned pretty much since #1. Digital sales have been strong enough to keep it going, don't see that changing now. New Super-Man might be in danger, though.

GA has been "on the bubble" as far as Diamond is concerned pretty much since #1. Digital sales have been strong enough to keep it going, don't see that changing now. New Super-Man might be in danger, though.

Honestly, I liked NSM but it was one of the casualties of DC releasing so many gosh-darn books every month since Rebirth started. I ain't buying 2-3 issues of Wondy every month and all this other shit too.

To clarify, these are books Newsarama believes are in danger based solely off their Diamond single issue sales which is not going to give a full picture. They say as much.

Marvel isn't going to cancel Squirrel Girl. DC isn't going to stop putting out an Aquaman book, though I suppose they might look towards a new direction or (hopefully) cut it back to once a month.

New Super-Man, now that one I'm worried about.

New Super-Man lives and dies with it's setting. Idk what you can do with that character if you take him out of China.

Yeah the reason he is my biggest worry is, once his book is dead, I don't see much of a future for him. Especially if his book only lasts an arc or two.

VanWinkle

According to the article, New Super-Man was at #64 in the best-sellers list which is not nearly as low as most of the others in the list. I don't think we have to worry about it right now.

Hellcat still going is just Marvel not really concerned with what happens with that character. Everything in that might as well be a fever dream. Once that's cancelled she might be shelved for a long time or rebooted into a more grittier interpretation.
Well he would not be Superman of China if they did that, would he?
Which drives the point. Maybe people are getting bored of the setting already.

Which drives the point. Maybe people are getting bored of the setting already.

He seemed a bit gimmicky from the get-go, honestly. I think they were taking a page from Marvel to some extent. Like when they came up with the concept of Kamala. "Hey, let's make a Ms. Marvel that is not Ms. Marvel."

I wonder what Marvel had planned for Squadron Supreme. Felt like they were being positioned for something big but the book ended up existing in a pretty quiet corner and all the books that were connected to it are dead. Squadron, Weirdworld, Contest of Champions. Seems like these were all meant to be big things.

Oh snap, is it already time for another Volume of Deadly Class?!

I can't wait to see how shit goes down after the fuckarow of last volume. Got damn I said, that shit was intense.

Top Bottom