• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

ElNarez

Banned
Was any of the before watchman stuff good? Some good creators attached and it's on sale on comixology....

Hi, I bought every single issue of Before Watchmen in singles as they were coming out.

None of it is worth it except for Minutemen, and that is only mildly decent at best.

Uncanny Avengers #16
Pretty fun book and exactly what I need right now. Solid sense of humor as well. This book also does exactly what team books should do, and that's have every member playing a role in the fight using what they have. Everyone, useful or nof, contributes something or is set up to do something involving their particular skills, abilities, and resources. I don't like it when team members feel pointless, shoehorned, or useless, they should always be using their personal attributes as best they can for the situation given.

Good book so far.

The Avengers 1.1 #1
Decent. A nice nostalgia trip to be sure. My big issue is that, well, the old guard seems like a bunch of dicks. That said, I love
bringing in the Frightful Four, which is one of the best things from the Silver Age ever.
. I'll obviously be reading more, but it's just okay for right now.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #7
Man I fucking love this book. It's so good. The twists. The turns. The thrills. The chills. Fucking Steve. And
of course Zemo wasn't dead, but I was not expecting this to be how he was to be used. Although, I'm confused: I was lead to believe that the original Zemo died, and that the current one was his son. And the old one was the Silver Age, yeah? So that means this Zemo is the original, but up until this point, I thought it was his son? So what, in the history of this character, am I missing?

Keep it coming Spencer.

Death of X #3
This is issue was better than the last two. In a sense, it's kind of sad that it's only 4 parts. I mean, if each issue keeps getting better than the last, then maybe it'd end up being actually good. On the other hand, we're almost done. Honestly this issue was fine. The art was better than the previous two and everything happening made sense.
Magneto stepping to Crystal was pretty solid. I also really like the art with Magik teleporting in and kidnapping Daisuke (I'm not calling him "Downer," though his namesake is accurate to how this even will be described in years to come).
Decent issue that will lead into a slightly above decent finish.

Moon Knight #8
Man this issue was bonkers. Pretty good. It felt like a bit of a call back to Bendis' run, what with
directing a movie/show about his own life and consulting multiple personalities at once. I think this is the most straighforward issue we've had. There are only a few questions to ask going forward: how is Marc still alive? Who is the master manipulator here and is it still Khonshu? Or has it been Seth this whole time? Or is it someone else? Billy and Bobby appearing does does basically clear things up a bit by confirming an outside force, and these past couple issues feels like a bit of a villain showcase. And then why those personalities? Jake, Moon Knight, and Steven I get. But in this case Jake is and instead we get a spaceman as the third. Where the fuck did space Moon Knight come from? My only assumption as to how they blended together was that Marc was manipulating things somehow, but it doesn't change the question of why he's even capable of doing that after committing suicide? Or did he?

A lot of questions, but not much to read in to.

Sandfox

Uncanny Avengers #16
Pretty fun book and exactly what I need right now. Solid sense of humor as well. This book also does exactly what team books should do, and that's have every member playing a role in the fight using what they have. Everyone, useful or nof, contributes something or is set up to do something involving their particular skills, abilities, and resources. I don't like it when team members feel pointless, shoehorned, or useless, they should always be using their personal attributes as best they can for the situation given.

Good book so far.

The Avengers 1.1 #1
Decent. A nice nostalgia trip to be sure. My big issue is that, well, the old guard seems like a bunch of dicks. That said, I love
bringing in the Frightful Four, which is one of the best things from the Silver Age ever.
. I'll obviously be reading more, but it's just okay for right now.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #7
Man I fucking love this book. It's so good. The twists. The turns. The thrills. The chills. Fucking Steve. And
of course Zemo wasn't dead, but I was not expecting this to be how he was to be used. Although, I'm confused: I was lead to believe that the original Zemo died, and that the current one was his son. And the old one was the Silver Age, yeah? So that means this Zemo is the original, but up until this point, I thought it was his son? So what, in the history of this character, am I missing?

Keep it coming Spencer.

Death of X #3
This is issue was better than the last two. In a sense, it's kind of sad that it's only 4 parts. I mean, if each issue keeps getting better than the last, then maybe it'd end up being actually good. On the other hand, we're almost done. Honestly this issue was fine. The art was better than the previous two and everything happening made sense.
Magneto stepping to Crystal was pretty solid. I also really like the art with Magik teleporting in and kidnapping Daisuke (I'm not calling him "Downer," though his namesake is accurate to how this even will be described in years to come).
Decent issue that will lead into a slightly above decent finish.

Moon Knight #8
Man this issue was bonkers. Pretty good. It felt like a bit of a call back to Bendis' run, what with
directing a movie/show about his own life and consulting multiple personalities at once. I think this is the most straighforward issue we've had. There are only a few questions to ask going forward: how is Marc still alive? Who is the master manipulator here and is it still Khonshu? Or has it been Seth this whole time? Or is it someone else? Billy and Bobby appearing does change things a bit and these past couple issues feels like a bit of a villain showcase. And then why those personalities? Jake, Moon Knight, and Steven I get. But in this case Jake is and instead we get a spaceman as the third. Where the fuck did space Moon Knight come from? My only assumption as to how they blended together was that Marc was manipulating things somehow, but it doesn't change the question of why he's even capable of doing that after committing suicide? Or did he?

A lot of questions, but not much to read in to.
For Captain America,
Both the past and present Zemo we see are the son. I don't think his backstory has been updated since the 70s so this might be Spencer modernizing it. He was alive before Steve got frozen though.

Looks like Unworthy Thor lost Coipel and R.B. Silva will be filling in for issue #3. That kinda sucks, but I'm still looking forward to it.

That really sucks. Strange, with it just a mini too. IF it was an ongoing, well okay, I suppose, but as a mini it'd be nice if they could keep the team consistent for 5 issues.

Also, Boogie, really sad to hear about your dog man.

Superman #10
Oh wow this was so much fun. Everyone's flaws and strengths and how they compliment each other right on the table. Damien taking some cheap shots and Jon needing to get his shit together. Good issue and if this is any indicator, Super Sons should be a blast. God I love this book.

Green Arrow #10
Oh boy. Two disappointing issues in a row. Once again, I enjoyed it to the end. Would've been cool, but then it felt super preachy and forced right at the end. Not much else to say. I was hoping for a bit more of a
fun murder mystery, but that didn't last long since we found out who did it less than halfway through the book. Would've been nice for a change of pace, but apparently I can't get what I wanted

Disappointing overall, with the ending being far too forced, preachy, and shallow.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #4
Fun issue, but the dialogue regarding
Helena telling Babs and Dinah about her past felt super corny. Also, the Killing Joke callback was rough.
. Pretty interesting turn for the ending. Still a fun book, but not as strong as the last issue was.

Nightwing #8
My boy's back bay-bee! And finally all doubt about this book has been washed away. Fucking great issue. Great action. Great dialogue. Great pacing. And most importantly, a fantastic addition to the Nightwing mythos. I've never been more looking forward to the next issue than right now.

Also: Has it been a requirement of Bat books lately to
have villains who admire or are somehow obsessed with the main character? Seems like it

You're a real hawk eye.

For Captain America,
Both the past and present Zemo we see are the son. I don't think his backstory has been updated since the 70s so this might be Spencer modernizing it. He was alive before Steve got frozen though.
So it's always been the son? Even during WW2? I remember reading that arc involving him back in the OG Avengers, but I apparently remember it wrong if that's the case

Sandfox

Superman #10
Oh wow this was so much fun. Everyone's flaws and strengths and how they compliment each other right on the table. Damien taking some cheap shots and Jon needing to get his shit together. Good issue and if this is any indicator, Super Sons should be a blast. God I love this book.

Green Arrow #10
Oh boy. Two disappointing issues in a row. Once again, I enjoyed it to the end. Would've been cool, but then it felt super preachy and forced right at the end. Not much else to say. I was hoping for a bit more of a
fun murder mystery, but that didn't last long since we found out who did it less than halfway through the book. Would've been nice for a change of pace, but apparently I can't get what I wanted

Disappointing overall, with the ending being far too forced, preachy, and shallow.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #4
Fun issue, but the dialogue regarding
Helena telling Babs and Dinah about her past felt super corny. Also, the Killing Joke callback was rough.
. Pretty interesting turn for the ending. Still a fun book, but not as strong as the last issue was.

Nightwing #8
My boy's back bay-bee! And finally all doubt about this book has been washed away. Fucking great issue. Great action. Great dialogue. Great pacing. And most importantly, a fantastic addition to the Nightwing mythos. I've never been more looking forward to the next issue than right now.

Also: Has it been a requirement of Bat books lately to
have villains who admire or are somehow obsessed with the main character? Seems like it

You're a real hawk eye.

So it's always been the son? Even during WW2? I remember reading that arc involving him back in the OG Avengers, but I apparently remember it wrong if that's the case
The father was Steve's villain in the old days, but died during the original Avengers run and his son was created in the 70s. The character we're seeing in the current book both flashback and present is the son.

Wasn't it always a mini?
Yup.

Heh, checked the Nightwing preview and Dick is reading Robin Hood Rebirth.

Will the next OT be named "Holiday Special" since DC are doing one for the first time since forever or "The Summer Event's Finally Done"?

Tizoc

Will the next OT be named "Holiday Special" since DC are doing one for the first time since forever or "The Summer Event's Finally Done"?
You just reminded me that i should start writing up the january 2017 comics ot

The father was Steve's villain in the old days, but died during the original Avengers run and his son was created in the 70s. The character we're seeing in the current book both flashback and present is the son.

Yup.
Right I get that, but why the fuck is Zemo's son the same age as Steve UNLESS they are directly referring to older Zemo and Cap believes Zemo's son will somehow uphold the original bond that Cap and older Zemo had.

Sandfox

Right I get that, but why the fuck is Zemo's son the same age as Steve UNLESS they are directly referring to older Zemo and Cap believes Zemo's son will somehow uphold the original bond that Cap and older Zemo had.

I think it's a sliding timescale related retcon.

Messi

Nope

It's in the books though, as is one of Marvels two holiday issues.

DC also had Harley doing a Christmas issue.

You just reminded me that i should start writing up the january 2017 comics ot

Wat

this is amazing.

Oh I've been saying that for some time. I'll get started after PSX '16.

tumblr_inline_o8fzv1YVkE1qh5qab_500.gif

Isn't steve's backstory not what ACTUALLY happened but only what he thinks happened thanks to Kobik screwing with his mind?

As someone who doesn't read the book but keeps up on general happenings, I thought this was the big thing for this run. Steve wasn't always a Nazi and the world hasn't been rewritten, but what he remembers has

As someone who doesn't read the book bunkers up on general happenings, I thought this was the big thing for this run. Steve wasn't always a Nazi and the world hasn't been rewritten, but what he remembers has

exactly.

not mind control, because mind control never works for long- but memories rewritten in a certain way to view hydra favorably. Same thing with Selvig.

Zemo not making any sense is just an indication that this process is imperfect and will crack eventually.

Sounds like it fits in perfectly with the shitty Harry Potter movies.

If anything there was too much plot for the movies. They ended up cutting good bits out of the latter books and adding unnecessary stuff in. I still felt most of them were good adaptations overall though, but then I always loved the books.

Top Bottom