• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

GA has been "on the bubble" as far as Diamond is concerned pretty much since #1. Digital sales have been strong enough to keep it going, don't see that changing now. New Super-Man might be in danger, though.

Has DC talked about the digital sales of GA? I asked before and didn't get a response, just wondering if DC out out a press release or something. I tried googling it and came up with nothing.

Marvel put out press releases for Ms Marvel and Silk doing so well digitally. Squirrel Girl got that, but also does better in trades, a few of them even appearing in the New York Times best seller list. Plus Marvel has that scholastic deal that protects books like Squirrel Girl and Hellcat.

From what I can tell, DC doesn't have a digital strategy, focusing on their evergreen TPB in bookstores.

Digital sales data is tough to find. Marvel/DC will sometimes put out press releases to talk about how good this or that book is doing digitally but specifics are in short supply. I wish CMX would release sales data but that's not likely to happen. You can always look at the current top paid books on the website/app but that's not going to tell you too much.

Ross61

Has DC talked about the digital sales of GA? I asked before and didn't get a response, just wondering if DC out out a press release or something. I tried googling it and came up with nothing.

Marvel put out press releases for Ms Marvel and Silk doing so well digitally. Squirrel Girl got that, but also does better in trades, a few of them even appearing in the New York Times best seller list. Plus Marvel has that scholastic deal that protects books like Squirrel Girl and Hellcat.

From what I can tell, DC doesn't have a digital strategy, focusing on their evergreen TPB in bookstores.
Dc does have a digital strategy. Book like Gotham Academy, Batman 66/Wonder Woman 77, Bombshells, Injustice, and that Superman comics from a few years ago all benefit from digital sales.

They haven't talked about it, afaik, but it's a non-core book whose print sales have been mediocre at best since forever. It would've been canned a while ago if it wasn't doing serious business digitally.

The newsarama article just listed books at low sale numbers that "may be in trouble". It didn't even mention digital or Scholastic and we all know AQUAMAN is not getting cancelled lol

mreddie

Again, no mention of Digital because I'm sure sites like Newsrama only give a fuck about hard books like some sites still giving a fuck about TV Ratings.

Ross61

As always takes this with a grain of salt, but Bleedingcool has gotten "intel" on who would be signed onto Wildstorm books: Jonathan Hickman, Ales Kot, Jody Houser, and Matthew Rosenberg. He also said that he spoke to someone at DC who said that two of those people will never happen.

mreddie

As always takes this with a grain of salt, but Bleedingcool has gotten "intel" on who would be signed onto Wildstorm books: Jonathan Hickman, Ales Kot, Jody Houser, and Matthew Rosenberg. He also said that he spoke to someone at DC who said that two of those people will never happen.

Rosenburg is mos def not one of those names.

Gonna say Houser because Hickman I feel is gonna jump.

I can't imagine Rosenberg writing for it. He always mentions how much he loves to be a Marvel writer. Almost seems like he wants to be exclusive to them and do his indie stuff. Although, it's been quite some time since we got a new 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank...

I guess Bleeding Cool can get things right on occasion but Im pretty sure Not isn't working for DC any time soon, and Hickman is a bit busy with his own work, unless he's actually done with his Big 2 sabbatical

Ross61

I can't imagine Rosenberg writing for it. He always mentions how much he loves to be a Marvel writer. Almost seems like he wants to be exclusive to them and do his indie stuff. Although, it's been quite some time since we got a new 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank...

He did take that DC Writer's Workshop class and did a couple Black Canary issue if I recall.

Houser is the only name on that list that makes any sense to me.

I would LOVE to see Hickman back on Big 2 books, but I would be incredibly shocked if that return is in the form of a single Wildstorm title.

Actually any of those others on Wildstorm would totally floor me.

Sandfox

Has Gotham Academy recovered from that awful yearbook arc? I stopped buying it during that arc.

The entire last volume, which included that Damian issue, was horrible. I stopped buying it as well and going by the numbers in that Newsarama post I would assume we aren't the only ones.

That last volume made me bitter towards the book.

Dusknoir

This week NCBD is really good. We get Snotgirl #4 after a month of hiatus. The last of the first arc of Black Monday Murders and the start of AD After Death. Shame I have to two weeks for them to ship from dcbs. I hope you guys write your expression when they come out.

I'm guessing Hickman due to being close to Ellis(and because he's a big LoSH fan and I'm betting he wants to be part of their Rebirth later) and Houser due to already being part of Young Animal.

TheFlow

Banned
Pretty decent week for me. Cage has me really interested

5537692-dox2016004_dc11-0.jpg
AD_Book01-1.png

Snotgirl_04-1.png

Btw, since we talked about digital sales, I checked the CMX list:
  1. Batman #11
  2. Superman #11
  3. Justice League #9
  4. Trinity #3
  5. Invincible #131
  6. Nightwing #9
  7. Green Arrow #11
  8. Amazing Spider-Man #21
  9. Suicide Squad #6
  10. Spider-Man #9
If you told me a year ago that Superman would be one of the most popular books in a year I would've laughed.

Has Gotham Academy recovered from that awful yearbook arc? I stopped buying it during that arc.

I loved Yearbook :(

Very fun little vignettes.

Btw, since we talked about digital sales, I checked the CMX list:
  1. Batman #11
  2. Superman #11
  3. Justice League #9
  4. Trinity #3
  5. Invincible #131
  6. Nightwing #9
  7. Green Arrow #11
  8. Amazing Spider-Man #21
  9. Suicide Squad #6
  10. Spider-Man #9
If you told me a year ago that Superman would be one of the most popular books in a year I would've laughed.

Superman's had a massive recovery; the whole super-line, really. He felt like a vestige just a couple of years ago, now every title he and the family has is on point. Decent at worst.

Listin

Batman Beyond 2
Deathstroke 7
Detective Comics 945
Teen Titans 2 (maybe)
Wonder Woman 11

ROM 5
TMNT 64

A.D. After Death 1
Black Monday Murders 4
Goddamned 5
Lake of Fire 4

Captain Marvel 10
Civil War II 7
Death of X 4
Dr. Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme 2
Prowler 2 (maybe)
Star Wars 25
Ultimates 2 1
Venom 1

Couldn't find a single new indy book that looks appealing this week. Other than AD at Image I guess. Image sorta counts.

End of the arc. FINALLY

I don't think the sixth issue has been solicited.

Oh man that's awesome, need to have a look and see if they'll have the trade out in time for Xmas then. It's not in my list but there's still time. Haha I imagine they give it muuuuch more lead time before the next arc. Feels like it took forever and a day to get to the first story out!

Oh man that's awesome, need to have a look and see if they'll have the trade out in time for Xmas then. It's not in my list but there's still time. Haha I imagine they give it muuuuch more lead time before the next arc. Feels like it took forever and a day to get to the first story out!

Yeah a year for five issues. Ridiculous

Trade won't be out until mid-January I believe :/

Yeah a year for five issues. Ridiculous

Trade won't be out until mid-January I believe :/

That's nuts. I wonder what went on there. When I got onto Scalped there was already a few volumes out but it felt like the schedule was pretty consistent from whenever that was til the end, and it's the same team right?

Ah well would of been nice to have the trade over the break but hey, waited this long already right?

That's nuts. I wonder what went on there. When I got onto Scalped there was already a few volumes out but it felt like the schedule was pretty consistent from whenever that was til the end, and it's the same team right?

Ah well would of been nice to have the trade over the break but hey, waited this long already right?

I think Aaron is just really busy with his Marvel work. Two Thor books, Strange, Star Wars, wouldn't surprise me if there are one or two more projects we aren't aware of. Southern Bastards too...lotta balls in the air!

But that's pure conjecture (though it does feel Southern Bastards has been slow recently as well). Can't imagine they are happy with taking a year to get the first arc out, that's a lot of lost eyeballs.

I think Aaron is just really busy with his Marvel work. Two Thor books, Strange, Star Wars, wouldn't surprise me if there are one or two more projects we aren't aware of. Southern Bastards too...lotta balls in the air!

But that's pure conjecture (though it does feel Southern Bastards has been slow recently as well). Can't imagine they are happy with taking a year to get the first arc out, that's a lot of lost eyeballs.

Haha, yea, busy busy man. That feels right as a guess. I suppose you take it while you've got it in comics. I wouldn't be surprised if he's chomping at the bit to get another shot at the big yearly event to prove he can do one well. At least when the stuff does get out, it's gold! He's really going to make me buy a star wars book, isn't he?

List:
Hellboy and the BPRD 1954 #the new one

Light week but they're all good at least

Oooo, Patric Reynolds on art no less, I really enjoy his stuff. Plus, I saw confirmation that his next project is a new Joe Golem series :D

shingi70

Banned
Would DC cancel new Super Man while Yang is getting all this promotion with the white House, also can we really talk cancellations before the trades drop.

Lists
Action Comics #968
Batgirl #5
Blue Beetle #3
Device Comics #945
Flash #11
Teen Titans #2
Titans #5
Vigilante Southland #2
Wonder Woman #11

Top Bottom