• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Messi

Would DC cancel new Super Man while Yang is getting all this promotion with the white House, also can we really talk cancellations before the trades drop.

Lists
Action Comics #968
Batgirl #5
Blue Beetle #3
Device Comics #945
Flash #11
Teen Titans #2
Titans #5
Vigilante Southland #2
Wonder Woman #11

Marvel has no issue cancelling books before they have trades out

Zombine

Banned
I wanted to really highlight one of the positive trends that I have witnessed over the past few years in this hobby:

There really is a book for everyone. So many creative titles exist across just about every genre and demographic imaginable.

Messi

Frank Cho is the new variant artist on Harley Quinn. His first cover is out this week. Relevant to the story inside and as usual when he is not trying to offend people he canndonreally nice art. He showed a preview of the Christmas one too and that one also looked good.

STL023215

Frank Cho is the new variant artist on Harley Quinn. His first cover is out this week. Relevant to the story inside and as usual when he is not trying to offend people he canndonreally nice art. He showed a preview of the Christmas one too and that one also looked good.

Hey, he still got to draw boobs trying to burst out of their containment.

Boogiepop

Wasn't it always a mini?

Edit: also sorry about your family dog boogie :(

Thanks man. It sucks, but I'm working through it.

On more positive/on topic notes, I've hit the second Claremont Xmen Omnibus, and I'm now right at the point where the Hellfire Club arc ends, right before Dark Phoenix proper starts. First off: man, Marvel knew just what they were doing with the breakdown of where that first omnibus leaves you, and it's scummy. Not only is the larger Dark Phoenix stuff leaving heavily where it drops you... it ends at a point where you're in the middle of the stuff with the Hellfire Club!

Not much to say here actually, it's obviously solid comic classics around where I am. The only thing that's always kind of bugged me is that the whole "Mastermind corrupting Jean with visions of "timeslips" to like the 1700s or whatever" thing just doesn't work for me. I suppose with all the bits and pieces (the fact that the Phoenix thing was already a corrupting influence, Mastermind using psychic tech, Jean's fragile mental state when they first meet) I can say it functions, but it just never felt great or quite right to me, and I REALLY felt like there must have been plenty of ways to do that smoother and in a more interesting manner. Not a huge deal, but it does kind of detract for me, to be honest.

Just finished the second part of Victim Syndicate in Detective Comics. Think I'm gonna drop this. Felt like a bunch of tropes mismasher together to hash out a story, just not a very interesting one.

Just finished the second part of Victim Syndicate in Detective Comics. Think I'm gonna drop this. Felt like a bunch of tropes mismasher together to hash out a story, just not a very interesting one.

I'm not crazy about the current arc, either. Tec earned some leeway from me since it started great, but Monster Men ended up killing all momentum for three different books. Mistakes were made.

I'm fine culling my pull list even further. There's a growing pile of dead Rebirth books waiting.

I'm not crazy about the current arc, either. Tec earned some leeway from me since it started great, but Monster Men ended up killing all momentum for three different books. Mistakes were made.

I'm fine culling my pull list even further. There's a growing pile of dead Rebirth books waiting.

I'm in the same boat (especially the Monster Men bit).

I've culled my DC/Marvel books down to about 5-6 across both. But I'm contemplating just trade waiting since time has become an issue for me.

But I don't know if trade waiting would alleviate my time issues (read issues as they come out and discuss on GAF vs. read an entire trade and discuss late).

Gah. Gonna watch Westworld and mull it over after.

Messi

List of betrayals

Action Comics #968
Art Of DC Comics Bombshells
Batgirl #5
Deathstroke #7
Detective Comics #945
Harley Quinn #8
Super Powers #1
Teen Titans #2
Wonder Woman #11

Jem and the holograms #21

Lumberjanes #32

A.D. After Death #1
Black Monday Murders #4
Chew #60
Lake Of Fire #4
Snotgirl #4
Wayward #18

All-New X-Men Annual #1
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1
Cage #2
Captain Marvel #10
Civil War II #7
Death Of X #4
Doctor Strange And The Sorcerers Supreme
Mighty Thor #13
Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur #13
Prowler #2
Spider-Gwen #14
Ultimates 2 #1
Venom #1
X-Men '92 #9

Meh week.

TheFlow

Banned
List of betrayals

Action Comics #968
Art Of DC Comics Bombshells
Batgirl #5
Deathstroke #7
Detective Comics #945
Harley Quinn #8
Super Powers #1
Teen Titans #2
Wonder Woman #11

Jem and the holograms #21

Lumberjanes #32

A.D. After Death #1
Black Monday Murders #4
Chew #60
Lake Of Fire #4
Snotgirl #4
Wayward #18

All-New X-Men Annual #1
Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1
Cage #2
Captain Marvel #10
Civil War II #7
Death Of X #4
Doctor Strange And The Sorcerers Supreme
Mighty Thor #13
Moon Girl And Devil Dinosaur #13
Prowler #2
Spider-Gwen #14
Ultimates 2 #1
Venom #1
X-Men '92 #9

Meh week.
lol I have never seen someone pull that much and then go "meh week" think you got more than 5 posters here combined

Messi

lol I have never seen someone pull that much and then go "meh week" think you got more than 5 posters here combined

I pull a lot of books. Many that I no longer enjoy but buy out of... I guess... Fear of falling behind or something. Or I might miss something?

I have weeks that are way bigger than this too. The indies and DC are light this week.

TheFlow

Banned
I pull a lot of books. Many that I no longer enjoy but buy out of... I guess... Fear of falling behind or something. Or I might miss something?

I have weeks that are way bigger than this too. The indies and DC are light this week.
Don't fear the drop!

But I agree on the meh week. Most of marvels and DC strongest books have already released

The only thing falling behind here is your wallet. If you're not enjoying a book anymore, stop buying it. Trim the fat, Messi. TRIM THE FAT! If you keep buying subpar books, the creative team will think it's okay to keep putting out trash.

TheFlow

Banned
This month will end with a bang since we are getting deadly class and saga on the 30th.

Will the Christmas special books replace the regular issues or will we get both.
I know IF&LC is doing a special issue

Messi

I own the floppies for every single issue of new 52 Catwoman. Some people can't / won't change :(

Power Man and Iron Fist Christmas issue is an annual with a regular issue also coming. Harley's holiday issue is a regular issue. DC and Marvel have Christmas one shots (Rebirth and Gwenpool)

TheFlow

Banned
I own the floppies for every single issue of new 52 Catwoman. Some people can't / won't change :(

Power Man and Iron Fist Christmas issue is an annual with a regular issue also coming. Harley's holiday issue is a regular issue. DC and Marvel have Christmas one shots (Rebirth and Gwenpool)
This answer my questions.
December might be my favorite month this year then for comics. I think the recent Saga arc ends next month too

Things I am excited about this week:

Image books

Yea, I mean straight up if there's nothing out this week folks are interested in due to tastes, that's fair enough. I'm looking here at what's out wed and if I was a monthly buyer, does not look meh at all, for me at least.

Got AD: After Death, Black Monday Murders, Chew, The Goddamned, Hellboy 1954, Mighty Thor. That sounds like a red hot week in my book.

Even as trade reader there's Black Canary vol 2, & the first volume of an
Azzarello book, American Monster. Seems pretty great all around.

Plus it's Death Of X 4 this week. Death of X is ending. That's some sort of celebration, right?

I really need to sample some books froooom aftershock, and black mask btw. Have not read anything ftom those publishers yet.

Yea, I mean straight up if there's nothing out this week folks are interested in due to tastes, that's fair enough. I'm looking here at what's out wed and if I was a monthly buyer, does not look meh at all, for me at least.

Got AD: After Death, Black Monday Murders, Chew, The Goddamned, Hellboy 1954, Mighty Thor. That sounds like a red hot week in my book.

Even as trade reader there's Black Canary vol 2, & the first volume of an
Azzarello book, American Monster. Seems pretty great all around.

Plus it's Death Of X 4 this week. Death of X is ending. That's some sort of celebration, right?

I really need to sample some books froooom aftershock, and black mask btw. Have not read anything ftom those publishers yet.

I am actually really excited for Deathstroke and Sorcerers Supreme. And I totally overlooked Thor somehow! Hmmm. How did that happen.

But really while I was being ha ha funny I am fucking excited for all four of my Image books this week, Black Monday Murders is cozying up to my top slot, A.D. looks fucking rad, I have been waiting for the end of this Goddamned Goddamned arc forEVER, and Lake of Fire is a freaky, weird, fun and surprisingly thoughtful book. So the truth of it is, Image is serving some fucking delicious pie this week, that's what I'm on about. I'm sure the fare of other publishers will prove perfectly serviceable as usual.

I am actually really excited for Deathstroke and Sorcerers Supreme. And I totally overlooked Thor somehow! Hmmm. How did that happen.

But really while I was being ha ha funny I am fucking excited for all four of my Image books this week, Black Monday Murders is cozying up to my top slot, A.D. looks fucking rad, I have been waiting for the end of this Goddamned Goddamned arc forEVER, and Lake of Fire is a freaky, weird, fun and surprisingly thoughtful book. So the truth of it is, Image is serving some fucking delicious pie this week, that's what I'm on about. I'm sure the fare of other publishers will prove perfectly serviceable as usual.

Got Lake Of Fire down on the list, will definitely give that a look in with the collection!

Deathstroke, I feel like everyone was super down on it when it first started, but now it feels like everyone has turned around no it? I'm not sure. I feel like I had that down on my list of rebirth books to check out at the very beginning, then took it off, and now maybe putting it back on haha? I've never read a Christopher Priest book so I really have nothing to judge on but the general feel coming off you guys

New CMX sales. Venom/Carnage and Image's Black Friday sale.

Nice, Rumble is on sale! I remember some folks mentioning waiting for it to hit sale awhile back

Invisible Republic is a really cool book too, folks should give that a look :) & Southern Cross. Those are the three I like outside of the obvious books that I'd say have a loo kat the previews and maybe take a chance.

Detective Comics #944
A lot of set-up, primarily, and not a lot of surprises and twists. The big one is obviously The First Victim's identity, but she'll come in time. My guess is that it'll be a big reveal involving Year One. A nice deep cut into the mythos would be awesome. That said, I'm looking forward to the new team.
Batwing certainly covers the sane role as Tim, but very much bringing his own flavor. Tim was always the least combat-oriented Robin. Relying on his gadgets and improvisational skills. He always ALWAYS excelled at computers. Luke brings that, but still remains different. Tim was quiet and subtle, Luke is loud and flashy. Whereas Tim integrated his gadgets into his physicality and martial arts, Luke basically has an arsenal within the suit itself to compensate. It's sort of its own Batman v Iron Man within itself.

I know this arc is a bit tropey, but I'll always be a sucker for bad guy team vs good guy team. I also have no reason to be down on this book after the first arc.

Midnighter and Apollo #2
This book is too precious for this world. Orlando knows how to balance over-the-top ridiculousness with incredible humanity so well. He knows how to create perfect stakes for these characters. He has exactly what I love in any writer: someone who takes characters, shows us exactly what makes them tick, and then catering the story specifically to them while making them believable. I mean, he's currently handling some incredibky powerful DCU characters and makes them feel so down to Earth and yet like forces of nature. It's great

Also the scene with
Bendix's murder dungeon
was amazing.

A.D. After Death #1
Black Monday Murders #4
Detective Comics #945
Snotgirl #4
Teen Titans #2
Wonder Woman #11

Really looking forward to A.D., BMM, and the return of Snotgirl.

I've been trying to play more games(re-played TTG Batman, started Tyranny 3-4 times) during my free time lately, so I'm a bit behind on my comic reading.

Mindwipe

Man, it's quite scary in a way how much of that Image Black Friday sale is irrelevant to me as I already own it. There's like two trades I picked up.

arkon

Disappointed in that Image sale. Looks to be trades only. I've been getting all the Image stuff I wanted in single issue format digitally. I was hoping to catch up on some series across the board. Oh well. Maybe for Christmas,

Southern Bastards Volume 3 and Descender volume 2.

Good picks, both of those are on my christmas list. Please let me know if they are awesome, please say nothing/lie if they aren't ;)

Disappointed in that Image sale. Looks to be trades only. I've been getting all the Image stuff I wanted in single issue format digitally. I was hoping to catch up on some series across the board. Oh well. Maybe for Christmas,

Haha, yea, I was thinking I might take the opportunity to grab some #1's of series I've been meaning to check out to get a gauge on them (Manifest Destiny for example) but nada, just the full collections on sale.

Top Bottom