• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

I'd rather JSA be announced.
Too little build up for that thus far. Legion has more teases but they all currently amount to nothing. Unless Earth 2 ends with Val-Zod etc forming a Society on Earth and the old timers suddenly just showing up and joining the book won't be announced yet. I'm betting on a mini-series like Titans Hunt before the JSA will re-form.

BC: Dan Slott may have quit twitter but he's still reading Bleeding Cool and commenting about whitewashing the cast of Hamilton.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My probable February pulls from Image...

BIRTHRIGHT #22
BLACK ROAD #7
BLACK SCIENCE #28
CURSE WORDS #2
DRIFTER #17
EAST OF WEST #32
KILL OR BE KILLED #6
MANIFEST DESTINY #26
MONSTRESS #10
MOONSHINE #5
MOTOR CRUSH #3
NAILBITER #29
THE OLD GUARD #1
REVIVAL #47
PAPER GIRLS #11
SHUTTER #27
SOUTHERN BASTARDS #18
SPREAD #19
SURGEON X #6
VIOLENT LOVE #4
THE WALKING DEAD #163
THE WALKING DEAD #164
THE WICKED + THE DIVINE #26

Stil no Copperhead though. I'm betting it will be in the March Solicits for sure.

tim1138

Too little build up for that thus far. Legion has more teases but they all currently amount to nothing. Unless Earth 2 ends with Val-Zod etc forming a Society on Earth and the old timers suddenly just showing up and joining the book won't be announced yet. I'm betting on a mini-series like Titans Hunt before the JSA will re-form.

Unless I'm missing something both the JSA and Legion have been teased twice, once each in the Rebirth special and then once each in individual titles.

mreddie

Elsa Charretier is doing Wasp as well as doing covers for Hellcat and Gwenpool, damn. She's already reaching Del Mundo numbers.

Cx5B79BXUAQALGk.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I totally forgot that Rucka had The Old Guard coming.

Great to see Ken Garing back with the new Planetoid mini.

tim1138

How is that book?

I like it, it's basically "what if the X-Men used their powers to be entitled assholes instead of superheroes". Stephenson's writing is great and Simon Gane's art scratches that same itch that Claire Roe's work does. If you're looking for a couple trades to pick up in the CMX sale, you could do a lot worse. I'm pretty sure Birdie is a big fan as well.

Bane

Huh, didn't expect another Bane arc after I Am Suicide. So far that's been the worst of King's work since he took over so hopefully it and I Am Bane really pick up.

And holy shit, fukcing Orca and The Mime are getting Lego minifigs.

I like it, it's basically "what if the X-Men used their powers to be entitled assholes instead of superheroes". Stephenson's writing is great and Simon Gane's art scratches that same itch that Claire Roe's work does. If you're looking for a couple trades to pick up in the CMX sale, you could do a lot worse. I'm pretty sure Birdie is a big fan as well.
Yea I saw the collections on sale and was curious

Hmm. Need to check out they're not like us. I think the only reason I didn't was previous delays made it seem at one point that it might stop coming out? Or was that the other Stephenson book?

Last stephenson team book I read:

Funnily enough , I think they were all ass holes too

Hagi

BC: Dan Slott may have quit twitter but he's still reading Bleeding Cool and commenting about whitewashing the cast of Hamilton.

Man that guy must have been jizzing all over his keyboard while writing that article. Bleeding Cool really are a cesspit. Slotts actually arguing with the writer in the comments right now. Embarrassing.

Sandfox

Both Inhuman books we have so far have strong creative teams and concepts. Now I just want a book with the rest of the royal family and my favorite Nuhumans.

Ressurxion is legit so far.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hmm. Need to check out they're not like us. I think the only reason I didn't was previous delays made it seem at one point that it might stop coming out? Or was that the other Stephenson book?
You're thinking of Nowhere Men.

TheFlow

Banned
I like reading Bkata and Echo reviews. Still iffy on getting back into Aquaman. the art is some of the worst I have seen for a new book.

edit:

I am down for all the new inhuman books.

Old man logan ending soon means I am just going to spurge and catch up on the series. He will be in one of the new X-men books. Hope he stays for another year of comics.

Both Inhuman books we have so far have strong creative teams and concepts. Now I just want a book with the rest of the royal family and my favorite Nuhumans.

Ressurxion is legit so far.

We didn't get the creative teams yet for the x-titles though right?

You're thinking of Nowhere Men.

Right haha cheers, I had an inkling I was wrong. I think that's why I've been keeping away though hah

I don't think Slott wins any of his online arguments so I really don't see why he bothers. And he does it all the time. Just like a week ago he was on comicbookresources forums tangling with dudes.

Ross61

I like reading Bkata and Echo reviews. Still iffy on getting back into Aquaman. the art is some of the worst I have seen for a new book.

edit:

I am down for all the new inhuman books.

Old man logan ending soon means I am just going to spurge and catch up on the series. He will be in one of the new X-men books. Hope he stays for another year of comics.
The previews I've seen of recent chapters have been really solid tho.

TheFlow

Banned
The previews I've seen of recent chapters have been really solid tho.

Black Manta is one of my favorite DC villains, so I might get back into.

Reading stuff from Nick Spencer and Coates has shown that I am really into political thrillers. The first arc was meh for me, but I have read all of Echo's reviews so far. Kinda like where the progress is going.

Brad Walker is amazing but every other artists is REALLY spotty. Shame because it's a great, pretty sprawling story.
still kinda amazed how most of the DC books have great art, but Aquaman gets the end of the shaft. We really need an artist who can take advantage of the underwater scenery. Something like Low.

tim1138

That was a great fucking fight. Man I loved that issue. I wasn't a huge fan of Batman Inc but it was all worth it in the end.

That is my favorite issue of Inc, and one of my favorite single issues of Batman period.

Man, I think I'm gonna have to start my now annual read through of Morrison's Batman run over the holiday weekend. I wish DC would get off their asses and release Absolute editions for Batman and Son/the Black Glove, and RIP/Return of Bruce Wayne.

still kinda amazed how most of the DC books have great art, but Aquaman gets the end of the shaft. We really need an artist who can take advantage of the underwater scenery. Something like Low.

I think Brad Walker is a great fit, I just wish he could draw more than one issue every two months.

I think something like Low wouldn't really work for this almost Tom Clancy-esque story.

121 issues of ASM later,
Gwen Stacy is finally dead

And nothing of value was lost

lmao holy fucking spoilers

shingi70

Banned
Aquaman #11: I have tried to resist comparing this run to the recent n52 Johns run (I wouldn't be surprised if I have, but I'm trying), because I think there are some interesting things going on here that are better expressed with an established Aquaman. His conflict with the League and struggles to be accepted by these surface-dwellers are more palpable and authentic with an established version of the character who has been trying this song and dance for awhile without much success. It doesn't matter what Arthur does, we don't trust him. We think he's weird. We think he's a joke. Damn that does feel real, you know? His frustration and grief hit me whenever this comes up, far more now than during the Johns run.

But man, they aren't making it easy to avoid these comparisons, are they? It looks for all the world like we're about to do
Throne of Atlantis
again with
Manta, NEMO and the separatists
standing in for
Ocean Master and his band of separatists
. There's every reason to believe this will turn out better than that story but...it's still the same story, at least it looks that way so far. Just make it good, please, Abnett. Are there really so few stories to tell about Aquaman?

There are a ton of stories to tell with Aquaman, it's just writers spend so much time wanting to write the heavy is the head that where's the crown deal. That and most writers treat Aquaman like Conan instead of playing up the fact that he's a superhero.

One thing I wish was explored more is his father's side of the family, like he has to have an aunt or uncle.

That is my favorite issue of Inc, and one of my favorite single issues of Batman period.

Man, I think I'm gonna have to start my now annual read through of Morrison's Batman run over the holiday weekend. I wish DC would get off their asses and release Absolute editions for Batman and Son/the Black Glove, and RIP/Return of Bruce Wayne.
The things you would do for an absolute size Tony Daniel book smh

Appreciate the kind words, TF! More revoos for yoo...

Backstagers #4: This is such a great book. It might be the most LGBTQ-positive comic I have ever read (though light on the 'L' since it's an entirely male/transgender cast). If there is a criticism to be had here, it's that this environment is unrealistically LGBTQ-positive, but to that I say, a) it's fucking high school theater and b) we deserve it, dammit. We deserve a book where LGBTQ characters shine as fully realized characters who aren't dealing with the daily horrors of being an LGBTQ high school student, but rather, are concerned with being people, with their love of the theater, and squashing interdimensional monsters. That is what I want from this (all ages!) book and it is delivering in spades.

Nitpicks. I do have a couple. The panel framing device with loud colors and graphics to emphasize a character's emotions are too inconsistent. They were a big part of #3 but they hardly pop up at all here, and there were more than a few moments where they probably should have. There ARE a couple of great ones but not nearly as many as the last issue. I've been back and forth on the effectiveness of this device but I loved it in #3. More!

Also, the plot that started last issue with
Sasha heading Backstage alone to find a replacement crystal is resolved a little too quickly and easily here given the heavy emotions and conflict it generated.
There are some incredible moments early in this issue related to this, especially the pages where
Aziz and Beckett hug it out
which just I mean god damn. The feels. They hit me fucking hard there. And then by the end of the issue
Sasha is fine and didn't even need help in the first place
. But we do get to see more of Backstage which is all great stuff, and it does open the door to some verrrrrry interesting developments. Can't wait to see where we're headed next! READ THIS BOOK.

Batman 11: Yeah this arc sucks. Strong start but it got real messy real fast.

This is honestly the most frustrating comic I read right now. There is no reason for it to be so all over the map quality wise but I just never know what kind of reading experience I am going to have. I dread it and I long for it. The strongest issues of this run have been incredibly good and even the rough ones capture the tone and feel of a Batman comic perfectly. In fact, King's grasp of Batman's cast is amazing. Punch and Jewlee are great. The Ventriloquist is so on point, I can't wait to see what happens with that character. His Bane is a fascinating take. Catwoman, though. I don't understand what the hell King is doing with this character. It's rather obvious that a
twist is coming, probably next issue
. But no matter what, Batman
comes out looking pretty bad here; how obvious was it that one of them was going to betray him and it was almost certainly going to turn out to be Catwoman
. Maybe he has
a fail-safe built into this plan but so far it looks like he rushed head-on into this fortress and set himself up for a fall.
Here is the core problem with King Batman:
I have no faith that he did foresee this betrayal, even if it seems obvious that Batman would. In fact Batman's actions to save Gotham Girl are so obsessive and driven that I'm beginning to think Psycho Pirate got him as well.

I did like the flashback
battle between Batman and Catwoman
but I still wish we knew more about what the hell is going on. I'm so tired of this "hmmm I wonder what happened there" device that is all the rage right now. Just...tell us. Christ.

Black Panther #8: This is my favorite issue of this series so far, despite the INCREDIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT in
losing "the Crew" SO quickly after all that hype. Man, one little fight and they all fuck off back to New York. What the fuck? They brought so much to this book. That issue was incredibly fun. I know these characters are busy but...one issue. And they (almost) all leave. SIGH.
:(

But
once they're gone
, we dive into the purpose of this issue:
risk everything to bring Shuri back
. And that risk is palpable in the dialogue and in the actions T'Challa
and Eden
take to accomplish this task.
Shuri's final journey through the Djalia is a good one
, a bittersweet send-off for this chapter of the story. That said I'm glad it's over. I feel like it went on just long enough. I'm ready to
have Shuri back in the land of the living
! This will elevate the book to a new level, I think. It's a great development.

Is Gwenpool going to be in Champions or are Champions going to be in Gwenpool? Or is it a crossover?

I would almost buy another issue of Champions if Gwenpool is in it but lol, really though, probably not

Malyse

Is Gwenpool going to be in Champions or are Champions going to be in Gwenpool? Or is it a crossover?

I would almost buy another issue of Champions if Gwenpool is in it but lol, really though, probably not

I think Miles kinda never wants to see Gwen again. Ever.

I think Miles kinda never wants to see Gwen again. Ever.

lol okay I changed my mind I'd pick up a Champions issue with Gwen in it giving away all their secret identities and telling Kamala Miles and Sam have both been crushing on her hard since they first met her

Gwen is the very best breaker of things

Sandfox

I like how the two latest images of Chip Zdarsky's twitter is the new cover where Daredevil has Star-Lord tied up and a panel of the character shirtless. That book is going have some people hot and bothered lol.

Malyse

lol okay I changed my mind I'd pick up a Champions issue with Gwen in it giving away all their secret identities and telling Kamala Miles and Sam have both been crushing on her hard since they first met her

Gwen is the very best breaker of things

I love that she just ruins everything all the time.

I like how the two latest images of Chip Zdarsky's twitter is the new cover where Daredevil has Star-Lord tied up and a panel of the character shirtless. That book is going have some people hot and bothered lol.

*looks*

Well, hot, yes. Definitely. That's hot.

Wow a good Star-Lord book. Is it happening? I think it might be happening.

Bane

I think I speak for everyone when I say Who?

That's exactly my point. Orca was in an arc or two of Batman back in the very early oughts then forgotten about. I think she was recently reintroduced, however. Mime, as far as I know, has only appeared once and it was back right after Batman: Year One, so around 410 or so in the 80's.

Top Bottom