• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Now The Champions could prove be another A-Force - an interesting, worthwhile spin on an existing concept with a limited shelf-life in a market that demands turnover

They found the actual point without realising it.

Still more reviews! Strap in it's gonna be a long day folks ;p

Captain America #15: I enjoy interlude issues, I'm sure I've said as much before. They're a great chance to catch our breath between arcs, especially if things have gotten as heavy as they have in this book. It's nice to have a little reminder why we love the character and to reinforce what that character, what this writer's run, is all about.

I think it's harder to do a satisfying interlude issue focused as heavily as this one is on a member of the supporting cast. Sometimes they work well, particularly when that character plays an essential role in the book. The recent Mera issue of Aquaman, for example, worked great and actually moved the story forward a great deal despite featuring very little Aquaman. Sam is present for most of this story but his role in it is relatively insignificant, to such a degree that
he and Falcon hold back, allowing D-Man and Battlestar to dish out all of the punches in the e-z mode fight at the end
. When, really, come on Sam.
You needed the press, man

Unlike that Aquaman story, this issue isn't meant to move things along at all; it's a proper interlude. And unfortunately it's a bit too goofy for this book, in my opinion. D-Man's
freakout when he finds out he's fighting Battlestar
is goofy, the
fight in the ring
is goofy, the villains are
D-grade cartoon cut-outs
and the ultimate message of the book rang a little hollow and forced given what's transpiring around it.

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #2: A bunch of wild, rad shit happens from beginning to end and the whole time you're reading it you're just thinking "wow fuck what the fuck oh I get it now oh shit! oh fuck this is so rad ohhhhh shiiiiiiii" That's the Cave Carson experience. It's a fucking ride. One worth taking.

Doctor Strange #14: I already mentioned this but I just fucking loved everything about this issue. I think that some of the criticisms some readers have expressed for this arc, in particular TheFlow, have some merit but as a single issue this is EXACTLY what I wanted from Aaron/Bachalo Dr. Strange. Ten out of five, unbelievably good work from both of these dudes.

Think back to the first issue of this book. That issue promised zany shit in a mundane context that oozed creativity and fun on every page. Then we got the Empirikul. Their job was literally to drain the book of fun. That's why I don't think they worked out quite as well as Gorr (the God Butcher of Thor: God of Thunder), whose motives and background were too similar to begin with. Magic is the fun and the Empirikul wanted to vacuum the fun out of every panel. Boooo! That doesn't make them good villains it makes them awful to read. And they were
largely successful.
Boo, again, Empirikul! It is telling that their color of choice was white, much like an empty panel.

But slowly, over the last few issues, the fun has started to pop back in. I do think it's interesting to watch this depowered sorcerer reaching down to the very bottom of his bag of tricks to escape totally insane situations that would have challenged him at full power. And in this I think we see the intent behind the Last Days of Magic: by reducing Strange to this, Aaron has so many fantastic opportunities to smash him up against his mightiest foes and force himself - as a writer, not the character - to find creative solutions. I feel like that's what's happening in this arc; that Aaron just recklessly catapults Stephen into these scenarios without having any earthly idea how he is going to write him out of it. It's making for damn good storytelling and this issue was by far the best. I hope these guys stick with Dr. Strange for a long, long time. I want to reap the rewards of the Empirikul for years to come.

Messi

Rat Queens #1 preview

RQ-01-09-rgb.jpg

Nice art with some questionable panels but I'm sure that will get ironed out over time. Didn't bother reading the words.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-rat-queens-starts-fresh-with-a-new-1-new-artist/

Am I the only one who has Champions as one of his favorite books right now?
Called it: Black Bolt solo.

Urgh, yet another Marvel prison story. Also, isn't Black Bolt supposed to be in space with his family?
Maybe this takes place before that? Also, are we getting a Negative Zone story? Because that means more Blastaar which can never be a bad thing. Also, I like how he talks about how using prose, and how the same editor that's working on Black Panther and worked on Vision. Plus he seems to understand the character, so I'm very optimistic. Means we may see him cut loose yet...
I'm much more interested in cosmic Inhumans than these dopes tooling around Manhattan.

Also, no Soule is nice, but it makes it that much more likely that he's writing fucking X-Men which is a Trump-level nightmare scenario.
The big problem with their books is that they hold the status quo. The flagship books, so to speak. They don't have the luxury of doing their own thing. EXM was like that at the start and has since improved now that it's been allowed to focus, though IvX will surely change that. Uncanny Inhumans is in the same boat, but the reverse: it started fairly strong, and dipped once Civil War 2 came into play and All-New Inhumans got cancelled, forcing Soule to take on a lot more than he's equipped to deal with.

Both writers have had some great team and ensemble stuff: Soule has had Red Lanterns (phenomenal) and Inhuman (which was just really good). Lemire had Justice League Dark. Again, they've had great stuff, but it was stuff that didn't have the spotlight on it. They can't pull that like Hickman, Johns, Morrison, and even Claremont. Solo books, sure, but ensembles, nah. If they are given smaller, more focused books with smaller casts (the latter being extremely important for damn near any team book), then we can get some damn good shit. Otherwise, we'll be in for nothing more than decent.
Also, Old Man Logan seems to be ending in Feb.

Damn. Hope it goes out with a bang.
Oh hot damn, this is my jam
I'd relax. Dude has more LMDs than Dum Dum Dugan. Read your history.
Are we sure about that? Duggan had a LOOOOOT of LMDs.
Worst recon in history btw
There have been far worse. You should know that, being a Spider-Man fan. Plus, NEW AVENGERS SPOILERS
they retconned that retcon. Turns out his real body was kept in stasis as a countermeasure should the LMDs get out of control. It seems to be implied that Duggan could be brought back, given that it was believed he was dead, when he is in fact not
Gwenpool in Champions? Urgh.

I was enjoying the book too
And now you won't?
Both Inhuman books we have so far have strong creative teams and concepts. Now I just want a book with the rest of the royal family and my favorite Nuhumans.

Ressurxion is legit so far.
Yup yup yup
I like reading Bkata and Echo reviews. Still iffy on getting back into Aquaman. the art is some of the worst I have seen for a new book.

edit:

I am down for all the new inhuman books.

Old man logan ending soon means I am just going to spurge and catch up on the series. He will be in one of the new X-men books. Hope he stays for another year of comics.
Aaaaaw you make me feel pretty
Black Manta is one of my favorite DC villains, so I might get back into.
You're good people.

There are a ton of stories to tell with Aquaman, it's just writers spend so much time wanting to write the heavy is the head that where's the crown deal. That and most writers treat Aquaman like Conan instead of playing up the fact that he's a superhero.
I can agree with this, but it's also understandable that they'd treat him like that. Though I'd try to go less Conan and more King Arthur. Aquaman's mythology is literally Arthurian mythos + various aquatic cultures + environmentalism. He needs some superheroics, but what he has outside of that is so damn appealing.
Rat Queens #1 preview

Nice art with some questionable panels but I'm sure that will get ironed out over time. Didn't bother reading the words.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-rat-queens-starts-fresh-with-a-new-1-new-artist/
Man I wonder how the hell they are gonna play clean-up after the last arc, because that image is mood whiplash incarnate.

I dropped it at 2 despite my fondness for every single member of the team. But I am glad you are enjoying it so much!

I want to like it....but it's not very promising right now. They get one more issue. Of the two Waid team books, Avengers appeals to me a lot more, personally.

So yes.

Messi

I can agree with this, but it's also understandable that they'd treat him like that. Though I'd try to go less Conan and more King Arthur. Aquaman's mythology is literally Arthurian mythos + various aquatic cultures + environmentalism. He needs some superheroics, but what he has outside of that is so damn appealing.

Man I wonder how the hell they are gonna play clean-up after the last arc, because that image is mood whiplash incarnate.

So yes.

#16 is no longer Canon and they are intentionally going back to this tone

I'd guess it's more than that. It feels like a full reboot with the same characters. A do over.

TheFlow

Banned
Messi we just had a whole debacle about people posting pages from books that haven't been released yet. rather we just link to preview pages like we been doing.

Sandfox

Am I the only one who has Champions as one of his favorite books right now?

Maybe this takes place before that? Also, are we getting a Negative Zone story? Because that means more Blastaar which can never be a bad thing. Also, I like how he talks about how using prose, and how the same editor that's working on Black Panther and worked on Vision. Plus he seems to understand the character, so I'm very optimistic. Means we may see him cut loose yet...

The big problem with their books is that they hold the status quo. The flagship books, so to speak. They don't have the luxury of doing their own thing. EXM was like that at the start and has since improved now that it's been allowed to focus, though IvX will surely change that. Uncanny Inhumans is in the same boat, but the reverse: it started fairly strong, and dipped once Civil War 2 came into play and All-New Inhumans got cancelled, forcing Soule to take on a lot more than he's equipped to deal with.

Both writers have had some great team and ensemble stuff: Soule has had Red Lanterns (phenomenal) and Inhuman (which was just really good). Lemire had Justice League Dark. Again, they've had great stuff, but it was stuff that didn't have the spotlight on it. They can't pull that like Hickman, Johns, Morrison, and even Claremont. Solo books, sure, but ensembles, nah. If they are given smaller, more focused books with smaller casts (the latter being extremely important for damn near any team book), then we can get some damn good shit. Otherwise, we'll be in for nothing more than decent.

Damn. Hope it goes out with a bang.

Oh hot damn, this is my jam

Are we sure about that? Duggan had a LOOOOOT of LMDs.

There have been far worse. You should know that, being a Spider-Man fan. Plus, NEW AVENGERS SPOILERS
they retconned that retcon. Turns out his real body was kept in stasis as a countermeasure should the LMDs get out of control. It seems to be implied that Duggan could be brought back, given that it was believed he was dead, when he is in fact not

And now you won't?

Yup yup yup

Aaaaaw you make me feel pretty

You're good people.
I'm enjoying Champions so far.

#16 is no longer Canon and they are intentionally going back to this tone

I'd guess it's more than that. It feels like a full reboot with the same characters. A do over.

Just #16 though? The trade only goes to #15 and even that's still big whiplash. So I assume that falls into that category.

Regardless, I'll support whatever it takes to bring the book back to the tone and feel of the Upchurch/Seijic arcs. That's why I supported the series and fell in love with it in the first place.

TheFlow

Banned
Still more reviews! Strap in it's gonna be a long day folks ;p

Captain America #15: I enjoy interlude issues, I'm sure I've said as much before. They're a great chance to catch our breath between arcs, especially if things have gotten as heavy as they have in this book. It's nice to have a little reminder why we love the character and to reinforce what that character, what this writer's run, is all about.

I think it's harder to do a satisfying interlude issue focused as heavily as this one is on a member of the supporting cast. Sometimes they work well, particularly when that character plays an essential role in the book. The recent Mera issue of Aquaman, for example, worked great and actually moved the story forward a great deal despite featuring very little Aquaman. Sam is present for most of this story but his role in it is relatively insignificant, to such a degree that
he and Falcon hold back, allowing D-Man and Battlestar to dish out all of the punches in the e-z mode fight at the end
. When, really, come on Sam.
You needed the press, man

Unlike that Aquaman story, this issue isn't meant to move things along at all; it's a proper interlude. And unfortunately it's a bit too goofy for this book, in my opinion. D-Man's
freakout when he finds out he's fighting Battlestar
is goofy, the
fight in the ring
is goofy, the villains are
D-grade cartoon cut-outs
and the ultimate message of the book rang a little hollow and forced given what's transpiring around it.

Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #2: A bunch of wild, rad shit happens from beginning to end and the whole time you're reading it you're just thinking "wow fuck what the fuck oh I get it now oh shit! oh fuck this is so rad ohhhhh shiiiiiiii" That's the Cave Carson experience. It's a fucking ride. One worth taking.

Doctor Strange #14: I already mentioned this but I just fucking loved everything about this issue. I think that some of the criticisms some readers have expressed for this arc, in particular TheFlow, have some merit but as a single issue this is EXACTLY what I wanted from Aaron/Bachalo Dr. Strange. Ten out of five, unbelievably good work from both of these dudes.

Think back to the first issue of this book. That issue promised zany shit in a mundane context that oozed creativity and fun on every page. Then we got the Empirikul. Their job was literally to drain the book of fun. That's why I don't think they worked out quite as well as Gorr (the God Butcher of Thor: God of Thunder), whose motives and background were too similar to begin with. Magic is the fun and the Empirikul wanted to vacuum the fun out of every panel. Boooo! That doesn't make them good villains it makes them awful to read. And they were
largely successful.
Boo, again, Empirikul! It is telling that their color of choice was white, much like an empty panel.

But slowly, over the last few issues, the fun has started to pop back in. I do think it's interesting to watch this depowered sorcerer reaching down to the very bottom of his bag of tricks to escape totally insane situations that would have challenged him at full power. And in this I think we see the intent behind the Last Days of Magic: by reducing Strange to this, Aaron has so many fantastic opportunities to smash him up against his mightiest foes and force himself - as a writer, not the character - to find creative solutions. I feel like that's what's happening in this arc; that Aaron just recklessly catapults Stephen into these scenarios without having any earthly idea how he is going to write him out of it. It's making for damn good storytelling and this issue was by far the best. I hope these guys stick with Dr. Strange for a long, long time. I want to reap the rewards of the Empirikul for years to come.
I think this is a good way to describe the last arc. Strange getting out some of these situations make me call BS but I have faith Aaron can turn things back around.

Captain America spoiler
damn it probably would of done Sam some good. I didn't even think of it like that

Black panther spoiler
Shuri coming back is going to ramp up story for sure. I think she is going to be at conflict with her brother.

Messi

Messi we just had a whole debacle about people posting pages from books that haven't been released yet. rather we just link to preview pages like we been doing.

Did we? Since when did preview pages become spoilers? Also what am I spoiling about a boom that doesn't release for another 3 months?

Malyse

I like Champions as a concept and I want to support the book, but other things (Gwenpool, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl) are currently WAY better. Ramos is unsuited for the book and I think it's waiting on *something* to end before it can really start kicking.

Civil War 2. It's tied up in Civil War 2.

I also wish that Alex was a Champions villain instead of IFPM, cause that would be a perfect segue into Molly joining the team.

Also. When is this happening:

AwswJgy.jpg

We have one. Give others.

And Gwenpool.

----

Also.
Fuck you THQ.
I'm glad you're dead if you cancelled this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNaRFskFEw

TheFlow

Banned
Did we? Since when did preview pages become spoilers? Also what am I spoiling about a boom that doesn't release for another 3 months?

last week someone posted starlord preview pages. That of course didn't settle well with
some users. Even
preview pages in their nature are spoilers. Explaining that is a waste of time. You making that comment is weird by itself since you have said numerous times that you avoid solicits to avoid spoilers :p.

I am just asking we link pages for upcoming books. TY

TheFlow

Banned
I like Champions as a concept and I want to support the book, but other things (Gwenpool, Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl) are currently WAY better. Ramos is unsuited for the book and I think it's waiting on *something* to end before it can really start kicking.

I also wish that Alex was a Champions villain instead of IFPM, cause that would be a perfect segue into Molly joining the team.

AwswJgy.jpg

And Gwenpool.

----

Also.
Fuck you THQ.
I'm glad you're dead if you cancelled this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unNaRFskFEw

nigga quote your pics. horyshit. taking up almost my whole 27 inch monitor

Messi

last week someone posted starlord preview pages. That of course didn't settle well with
some users. Even
preview pages in their nature are spoilers. Explaining that is a waste of time. You making that comment is weird by itself since you have said numerous times that you avoid solicits to avoid spoilers :p.

I am just asking we link pages for upcoming books. TY

Nah that's not it.

More reviews...

Ether #1: Dark Horse books generally don't work out too well for me; the style of most of their books is a big turn-off and I feel like most of their experimental stories don't work out. This one does, though. I think this is going to be a great book. It's my favorite new thing this week.

So, Ether is the story of a Sciency Guy named Boone Dias who has his very own transdimensional gateway and loves to just explore and do research in this weird dimension he apparently stumbled upon. Boone is a charming and instantly memorable character, bold and inquisitive to a fault, reveling in the vast mysteries that surround him. He comes off a little silly, necessitating a straight man in Glum the ape dude to function as a foil for Boone's naive, buoyant curiosity. I'm not entirely clear on why those two are such good buddies; if Glum
functions as the gatekeeper, wouldn't that limit his ability to go adventuring with Boone? The book even takes note of the fact that Glum abandoning his post is kind of a problem
. But it's cool, I don't really need these details because their relationship works so well.

Ultimately, the story turns out to be a
murder mystery
, and it seems that Boone has
acted as detective in at least one similar situation before
. He is reluctant to involve himself initially,
but does reluctantly take the job in the end
. The details of
the murder mystery
are cool and intriguing, the
victim is obviously a big deal
and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. The last three pages are an excellent "what the fuck" re-orientation of sorts, as well. Great start. Highly recommended.

Grand Passion #1: This one, however, is a total dud. The phonetic writing is incredibly excessive, seeping even into the narrator's voice. It just feels hokey and kinda lame. This is going to be a love story about a cop and a criminal but I can't think of a single solitary thing about it that was interesting or good. It's by-the-numbers and the bait on the hook did not lure me in for one page. Serviceable at best. Skip it.

Hadrian's Wall #3: Well, I really wanted to like this book, and I still think it had a lot going for it early on despite some low quality art. The isolation of the setting works well and all of these characters feel authentic; like the sort of people you would expect to inhabit this setting.

But the mystery is what's important and it's not going anywhere. The main character's arc is also not going anywhere. Like...the extent of his
withdrawal thus far is....he gets a little sweaty and kinda grouchy
. This is not compelling storytelling. Maybe it ramps up next issue, I dunno, but I'm out. There isn't enough happening to retain me as a reader.

Messi

Weren't you the one advocating that we should be more strict with spoilers?

For blatant spoilers sure? Feel free to tell me what I spoiled in that page.

My problem was with people spoiling a death of a huge character the day of a books release.

AwswJgy.jpg

And Gwenpool.
Dude Young Scott brought the house down in the best way possible last issue, And Viv.
Nah that's not it.

tumblr_inline_n0lxixiHDh1szpewp.gif

Weren't you the one advocating that we should be more strict with spoilers?

Most recently, I was the one who said something, not Messi.

And it pertained to some Jessica Jones panels that were floating around with some spoilery info attached. Not Star-Lord.

What I want most is to not have any drama so let's try to move on.

Duress

I don't know how any one could of read Southern Bastards by issues. I finished the first volume, and it feels complete.

More reviews...

Ether #1: Dark Horse books generally don't work out too well for me; the style of most of their books is a big turn-off and I feel like most of their experimental stories don't work out. This one does, though. I think this is going to be a great book. It's my favorite new thing this week.

So, Ether is the story of a Sciency Guy named Boone Dias who has his very own transdimensional gateway and loves to just explore and do research in this weird dimension he apparently stumbled upon. Boone is a charming and instantly memorable character, bold and inquisitive to a fault, reveling in the vast mysteries that surround him. He comes off a little silly, necessitating a straight man in Glum the ape dude to function as a foil for Boone's naive, buoyant curiosity. I'm not entirely clear on why those two are such good buddies; if Glum
functions as the gatekeeper, wouldn't that limit his ability to go adventuring with Boone? The book even takes note of the fact that Glum abandoning his post is kind of a problem
. But it's cool, I don't really need these details because their relationship works so well.

Ultimately, the story turns out to be a
murder mystery
, and it seems that Boone has
acted as detective in at least one similar situation before
. He is reluctant to involve himself initially,
but does reluctantly take the job in the end
. The details of
the murder mystery
are cool and intriguing, the
victim is obviously a big deal
and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. The last three pages are an excellent "what the fuck" re-orientation of sorts, as well. Great start. Highly recommended.

Hey, awesome, I was waiting on this hah! I just went ahead and read the spoilers since it's only issue 1 so most of that is part of the premise so I can give myself a little more leeway to try and get more of what the book is even about. Sounds good though! Most of what I picked up from the interviews is that the guy has stumbled into a world of magic that he's determined to explain scientifically,
it sounds like this is what probably roped him into the case here, beyond who ever the person's identity is, cheers for leaving that out btw :)
Cool, well, I think this is a lock for me then when the collection drops, I can't believe Rubin's stuff in the previews, what did you think of it? With the art looking so nice, I would have been happy if the book was competent. Sounds like it's pretty good, which is a bonus.

I don't know how any one could of read Southern Bastards by issues. I finished the first volume, and it feels complete.

I always felt like this with Scalped too, Aaron just writes a perfect volume, beginning to end. Southern Bastards volume 1 is another great example of that. The team could be as well putting out OGN volumes (and maybe that would work better for The Goddamned ha)

IMO it should have ended there. Haven't enjoyed it half as much since

Oh wow, really? First volume is fucking awesome, one of the best things Aaron has ever written but I love how volume 2 just totally flips things over. Just another really compelling character piece. All the same strengths I think, in terms of the writing/art combo and what made the first volume work.
people focus on the shock factor on volume 1, but the nice thing is that comes right at the end, the strength of volume one is the other 115 pages or whatever it is

I still enjoy Southern Bastards, I liked the Coach Boss arc and the new arrival is cool. But it's hard to disagree with the notion that it would have been perfectly fine as a single volume series.

Hey, awesome, I was waiting on this hah! I just went ahead and read the spoilers since it's only issue 1 so most of that is part of the premise so I can give myself a little more leeway to try and get more of what the book is even about. Sounds good though! Most of what I picked up from the interviews is that the guy has stumbled into a world of magic that he's determined to explain scientifically,
it sounds like this is what probably roped him into the case here, beyond who ever the person's identity is, cheers for leaving that out btw :)
Cool, well, I think this is a lock for me then when the collection drops, I can't believe Rubin's stuff in the previews, what did you think of it? With the art looking so nice, I would have been happy if the book was competent. Sounds like it's pretty good, which is a bonus.

Donnie my friend, you are going to like this one. I think you are going to like this one a lot.

I don't look at preview pages very often, especially if I'm already hooked, so I can't comment on those.

Donnie my friend, you are going to like this one. I think you are going to like this one a lot.

I don't look at preview pages very often, especially if I'm already hooked, so I can't comment on those.

Cool man, sounds great. I expect it'll be a HC too, Kindt seems to have some sort of thing going on there. I just meant the art for the first issue btw hah nothing beyond that, I've literally just saw 2-3 pages of the first issue, then started looking up Rubin's prior stuff,

Cool man, sounds great. I expect it'll be a HC too, Kindt seems to have some sort of thing going on there. I just meant the art for the first issue btw hah nothing beyond that, I've literally just saw 2-3 pages of the first issue, then started looking up Rubin's prior stuff,

Oh, yeah. It's fucking wild. It needs a little more unique identity to it, like right now it could be any number of alternate dimensions controlled by other brands and it would slot right in. But it's still great stuff. The
murder scene
is especially stunning.

shingi70

Banned
Ray Palmer is interesting, I think he is the only hero who has been cuckolded. Sword of the atom of dope, but that beginning in all types of screwed up.

Moving right along...

Horizon #5: You know, I'd never tell someone to pick this up in singles. You need a reader that is going to commit to the whole arc because the beginning is weak and confusing. But oh my god it's so good now you guys. It's gonna be a killer trade and I think people will react positively to the full story Thomas and Gideon are telling.

The action continues to rock my socks right off. It's smooth and energetic and easy to follow. It's intense and gripping, there are bits of action scenes here where you really don't know what is going to happen and you find yourself rooting for characters you barely know (this book's main flaw remains a lack of characterization and a feeling of sameness across most of the alien squad). But what really sticks out in this issue is the commander's speech explaining why it is so damn important to them that
humans never leave Earth again, never attempt to colonize a world which apparently is something they did with disastrous results
. Their motivation is now rock solid and you know what I'm with them.
People suck
. It's a powerful moment that brings the entire series into focus and retroactively improves some of the earlier material (yes, I did actually go back and read it again).

It's so interesting to me to read a book that positions the human race in this way. Usually, it's the aliens who
abduct people and experiment on them
, it's the aliens who
have overwhelming technological superiority and present an existential threat to our entire race with their slightest whims
. Yeah, this reversal has been done before and done well, at least in part, but it's really well done here.

But waiting for the trade is smart here. Don't jump in. The beginning is not as good.

Infamous Iron DOOM #2: It speaks to Bendis' immense talent and range - shut up, all of you - that he is delivering two Iron Man books that are so completely different from each other, and that both of them are excellent. I am LOVING this book.

Is it an Iron Man book, though, really? Hmmm, I'm not convinced. I think it's a Dr. Doom book. Dr. Doom is a little too well established as a character to bend him too much and Bendis seems aware of this; he's working with Doom as Doom is rather than trying to make him more like Tony or even a proper Iron Man substitute. The armor is very Doomy. The dialogue is very Doomy. Even the
most prominent antagonist
is a Doom "villain." But hey that's cool. All of that is cool. Because I fucking love Dr. Doom! I'm reading a Dr. Doom comic and I'm having the best time, la la la

The art is some of the best work Maleev has done in a very long time. The big fight scene against
the Mad Thinker
just pops. It is gorgeous, phenomenal stuff. The part at the end of the fight, when
Doom teleports back in to finish the job
? Uh. Wow. Jaw-dropping panels. And Doom looks great throughout the book. So does ol' Blue Eyes. He feels immense, powerful and intimidating in every panel he's in. Now, when Bendis closes an issue
with the promise of a fight it rarely delivers. I'm not gonna get my hopes up for that
. But everything leading up to that moment is terrific. Loved this issue. Loved everything about it, no complaints at all.

Jessica Jones #2: I said I wasn't going to do this again with these new Marvel books but I'm a filthy fucking liar. They can string me along as long as the writing is good. I suppose. But I'm not happy about it. What in the hell happened
between Luke and Jessica, why the hell did she go to prison
, and is it going to be a year before we find any of this out? Are we going to string it along for so long it loses any potential impact? God I hope not because otherwise this book is terrific. Bendis is killing it out of the gate with this wave, honestly. So many of the Shattered Now books I'm sticking with are all being written by one guy. Crazy.

The confrontation between
Luke and Jessica
was so fucking hard to watch.
I love this little family so much and oh my god do I hate whatever is ripping them apart. Please please please let this end well. Let this be a passing storm in an otherwise beautiful marriage. Please do not leave Jessica an outcast from the hero community she finally felt like a part of
. But it does suit the book and the story Bendis is telling so I will endure it for now. Under protest, and with much grumbling. Grumbling aside, Jessica's
pain is palpable
, I just wish we knew what the root cause of it is so we could better empathize with the character. That's the problem with this trick, really...there is too much faith in the reader to root for characters who are battling nameless, faceless demons we know nothing about. That faith is often misplaced, I feel.

Jessica spends most of the issue
lamenting how badly she's fucking up on the case she took without ever actually doing much to correct this problem
, and it's a bit jarring when this plot comes back into focus as the central conflict of this arc. But the developments herein are intriguing to say the least. Another great Bendis book, if you dig him you need to read this. Especially if you liked Alias, it's a note perfect sequel.

Top Bottom