• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Zatanna exists in DC's terrible mobile game, "Legends of Gambling." She's arguably the best healer, but nobody will stick around long enough to find out.

shingi70

Banned
Fun Fact but Zatanna is important because she appeared in what's considered the first comicbook crossover Zatanna Search.

Also saying DC has forgotten about her is a bit early consdering she's about to be in two movies coming up.

I prefer
asshole and weirdly Lolita acting
Young Jean Grey.
She's okay, but I've never been a Jean fan and they aren't doing anything with Young Jean. She's basically there to talk to Old Man Logan and that's it, which makes her just as boring as old Jean. Nothing's changed.
Reed Richards's Spore.

Namor dating sim.
I'd be down.
I jam with Champions, but that's probably because I enjoy every team member but Nova.
The problem with Nova is that he's constantly beaten down by other people for no fucking reason. It's like it's his job to be bullied. He also barely stands up for himself, but when he does, it's pretty cool. Outside of being mopey and bullied, there's not much to him. Granted, I haven't read much of him, but that's what I got from what I did read (one issue of the recent Nova, All-New All-Different Avengers, and now Champions).
Any of you guys are watch the dc and marvel shows.
Just AoS and the Netflix shows. The CW shows killed me inside with the previous seasons and I dropped Gotham due to boredom early in S2, but I've been debating catching up. But then I don't, and some how I don't feel like I'm missing out. And no, don't try to sell me. It won't work.
Yeah. You need to let that story ride. Damn good Captain America run between both books.
So many fucking people do this same shit

"Comics are so repetitive. Everyone dies and comes back. No real conclusions to arcs. Never ends. Always the same characters. No real changes."

Makes a dynamic change to a character and creates one of the most interesting runs I've read

"WOW CHANGE IT BACK! TOO POLITICAL! #NOTMYCAP! CAP SHOULD BE FIGHTING NAZIS NOT JOINING THEM!"

Fuckers. Makes me mad.
Okay, this cover is fucking amazing:
NOSTALGIA

Capcom's Avengers beat'em up is one of the best. X-Men kinda sucks.
Dazzler

Her inclusion is one of life's greatest mysteries
Based on what I've been listening to with Jay and Miles, she was a big part of late 80's X-Men. Like, Fall of the Mutants through Inferno.
Richie Rich is spreading the rumor Squadron Supreme is canned since it has no Feb solclit.
Don't know if I buy that since the most recent issue had a Marvel NOW! branding on it.

PsychBat!

Banned
gF4r2Zf.gif

In the process of watching Luke Cage, and it's probably the best of the bunch.

On a different note, what's the word on Sweet Tooth for those who read? I've heard it's one of Lemire's less obtuse projects.

It's one of the best runs I have on my shelf. The art might not be for everyone, but I thought the characters were incredibly strong throughout, the plot is interesting due to the world and the mysterious mythology. Really incredible stuff. It also has one of the few moments in comics for me that legit creeped me out/was kind of upsetting. Not OTT or anything, I just felt fucking miserable afterwards because I had become pretty invested.

Honestly, It's books like Sweet Tooth that makes you realise why some people think so highly of him, while he's putting out Extraordinary X-men. It doesn't have any weirdness though, like what I've picked up that his Moon Knight run is like, it's just very set on introducing a few key compelling characters and seeing them through to their natural conclusions.

Psychbat, hey dude!

jurgen

I guess I'll be the first for what's likely going to be discussed a bit this week: Civil War II is hot garbage. I've rarely wanted my money back after reading a comic but holy shit do I feel cheated. Not only is it a bad story, it's a bad story where nothing happens. This week just cemented it.

Did anyone read that Bizarro miniseries by Heath Corson and Gustavo Duarte? How good was it?

I thought it was charming as hell. It's a fun little all-ages buddy cop book in a weird way. The fact that Jimmy convinces Bizarro that Canada is Bizarro-America still makes me grin.

Venom: Space Knight #13
Took me forever, but I finally got around to it. Pretty decent ending, but I guess I'll need to read Remender's book because I didn't understand
anything with Andi and the Hell-Mark. Well I understood the basics, but it pretty much just happened. Like, I have no idea what the history is between these characters at all or how they got to the state they ended up in.
Feels like the last arc didn't actually accomplish anything except getting Flash on Earth for the next Venom book. Which is fine, but I wish the arc had a better ending. I'm gonna miss space adventure Venom. Had his own posse and everything.

The Avengers #1
Pretty sound first issue, though I'm a bit bummed and a bit happy. I like Del Mundo's art, but somethinf about it bugs me. I dunno if it's the faces, or the colors seem too washed out. Something seems off. I like the line-up, but Herc and Thor have yet to differentiate each other. It's the same issue I had with Warrior Woman and Valkyrie being on the Fearless Defenders. They feel too similar, though less so if it were Odinson instead of Jane. I also fucking LOVE
stupid Kang plots. That man is willing to go great lengths to achieve his goals by using the most convoluted plans in existence and I LOVE it.

Decent first issue that's earned a #2 pick up by me.

Sandfox

Venom: Space Knight #13
Took me forever, but I finally got around to it. Pretty decent ending, but I guess I'll need to read Remender's book because I didn't understand
anything with Andi and the Hell-Mark. Well I understood the basics, but it pretty much just happened. Like, I have no idea what the history is between these characters at all or how they got to the state they ended up in.
Feels like the last arc didn't actually accomplish anything except getting Flash on Earth for the next Venom book. Which is fine, but I wish the arc had a better ending. I'm gonna miss space adventure Venom. Had his own posse and everything.

The Avengers #1
Pretty sound first issue, though I'm a bit bummed and a bit happy. I like Del Mundo's art, but somethinf about it bugs me. I dunno if it's the faces, or the colors seem too washed out. Something seems off. I like the line-up, but Herc and Thor have yet to differentiate each other. It's the same issue I had with Warrior Woman and Valkyrie being on the Fearless Defenders. They feel too similar, though less so if it were Odinson instead of Jane. I also fucking LOVE
stupid Kang plots. That man is willing to go great lengths to achieve his goals by using the most convoluted plans in existence and I LOVE it.

Decent first issue that's earned a #2 pick up by me.
Hercules is the gun guy now though lol.

Messi

I just realized this. It's totally intentional that the main character in Sex Criminals looks like Matt Fraction right?

kmfdmpig

Fun Fact but Zatanna is important because she appeared in what's considered the first comicbook crossover Zatanna Search.

Also saying DC has forgotten about her is a bit early consdering she's about to be in two movies coming up.

I hope that DC does something with Zatanna soon as she can be such a great character and is very adaptable to different types of stories and tones.

ElNarez

Banned
fuck Death of X, fuck Jeff Lemire, fuck Charles Soule, fuck Aaron Kuder, fuck whoever filled in for him, fuck everyone involved in the making of this piece of shit comic book event

GOD WHAT A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT COMIC BOOK EVENT

it can't even be "okay fine, you're getting from this shitty place to a cool new place" because it pulls the rug out from under you like "haha psych this was, and always will be, shit"

GOD I SWEAR IF ANY OF THOSE FUCKERS ARE STILL ON AN X-MEN BOOK COME RESURREXION THE LINE IS DOOMED

DOOMED I SAY

Zombine

Banned
fuck Death of X, fuck Jeff Lemire, fuck Charles Soule, fuck Aaron Kuder, fuck whoever filled in for him, fuck everyone involved in the making of this piece of shit comic book event

it can't even be "okay fine, you're getting from this shitty place to a cool new place" because it pulls the rug out from under you like "haha psych this was, and always will be, shit"

GOD I SWEAR IF ANY OF THOSE FUCKERS ARE STILL ON AN X-MEN BOOK COME RESURREXION THE LINE IS DOOMED

DOOMED I SAY

This just sounds like X-Men to me.

I guess I'll be the first for what's likely going to be discussed a bit this week: Civil War II is hot garbage. I've rarely wanted my money back after reading a comic but holy shit do I feel cheated. Not only is it a bad story, it's a bad story where nothing happens. This week just cemented it.

DOOMED I SAY

Today is going to be a good day

Haha it's satisfying that I've got the fam on board these days with the nintendo gaming, but it adds up quick. There's a reason I had to skip dishonored for now. I think good times will be had though, girlfriend has already buried her head in her 3ds.

Dunno if you saw me ask yest btw when you were talking about political thrillers but have you read unknown soldier, dysart run? It isn't strictly political but if you haven't read it and you like real world issues mixed into your comics fiction, difficult situations and decisions etc it's amazing. Plus there are plenty poc and I know you appreciate that.

kmfdmpig

Yes please. I hate Lobo.

Zatanna is a character who I love, despite never having read anything with her as the focus.

If you want to read something with her then the Zatanna series by Paul Dini is absolutely great and the trade for it is coming out in March. There's also a OGN about Zatanna and Power Girl called Bloodspell that is enjoyable. It came out a year or two ago.

Zombine

Banned
Woah I had no idea that this AD After Death book is a mini graphic novel event thing. I was shocked at the $6 price and thought I missed issues or something.

Why do you need two copies of Moon?

Three copies = me, partner, kiddo, 1 each! Joins my three copies of yokai watch, animal crossing and fantasy life haha. Any 3ds games that have one save slot or co-op, I end up with three copies.

Woah I had no idea that this AD After Death book is a mini graphic novel event thing. I was shocked at the $6 price and thought I missed issues or something.

Yea it's prestige right? I was half considering buying them since they might look okay on the shelf but I held off. Cool change up though

Top Bottom