• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

ElNarez

Banned
Bendis, for all his faults (most of which were in All-New X-Men and not Uncanny, mind), had the courtesy of leaving the X-Men with an interesting, forward-looking status quo, that Lemire, Hopeless and Bunn immediately shit on with this wack M-Pox bullshit.

So a typical OT comic thread. The response I always love is the person who "claims" they would want to pick up a comic but see a thread like this and go "nope". That fake interest to come in all smug is a OT comic thread staple.

Check that box:

Every time I get an itch to buy a comic, a thread like this reminds me how dumb it would be.

Wait, did Deathstroke get better? Because I thought #1-#3 was very dull

Loads better. Fantastic book right now.

Roman

that death of X thread is filled by people who read comics.

example:

"Fuck comics"

"x-men has been crap since bendis"

"this is why I don't read x books"

lol is this real life.

So a typical OT comic thread. The response I always love is the person who "claims" they would want to pick up a comic but see a thread like this and go "nope". That fake interest to come in all smug is a OT comic thread staple.

I don't know. I am participating in that thread and don't see that many unreasonable posts. The event is awful, although it is not intended for new readers.

An outsider looking into this thread could actually describe you guys as a bit smug towards the other thread. The posts here aren't exactly inviting.

ElNarez

Banned
Deathstroke is so fucking good and I'm so glad DC found a way to get Priest on board to do it. It's so fucking packed it's not even funny.

mreddie

The Darkness aka Venom: It's a good start but I'm not sure I'm gonna be into this as much as Carnage.

Moon Girl: Okay, this arc has a interesting hook.
So it looks like she's communicating with all the smartest minds in Marvel and they're all asking her for advice...only Lunella is grown woman and all the minds are the Illuminati and some are dead.

Doc Strange Team Book: So Billy and Teddy fans will love this issue but it also reveals another curveball into the issues.
Billy is cursed and is a time bomb

Malyse

DOX and CW2 both feel like they are interesting stories told badly. DOX should have been one oversized premium issue or two regular issues. CW2 should have been maybe five and cut all the tertiary bullshit. I'm the type who loves loving things so I can enjoy both on a basic "I see what you're aiming for" level, but goddamn this is some gawdawful pacing. DOX didn't pay off its premise. CW2, well. Let's see how it ends.

Messi

I don't know. I am participating in that thread and don't see that many unreasonable posts. The event is awful, although it is not intended for new readers.

An outsider looking into this thread could actually describe you guys as a bit smug towards the other thread. The posts here aren't exactly inviting.

We are pretty smug alright.

Owzers

DOX and CW2 both feel like they are interesting stories told badly. DOX should have been one oversized premium issue or two regular issues. CW2 should have been maybe five and cut all the tertiary bullshit. I'm the type who loves loving things so I can enjoy both on a basic "I see what you're aiming for" level, but goddamn this is some gawdawful pacing. DOX didn't pay off its premise. CW2, well. Let's see how it ends.
avengers vs x-men being 12 issues with the first half consisting of Hope playing hide and seek.

Hagi

I've been thinking about which of these X books I'd really like to be great and it's probably Generation X. Hopefully they have a really good team on it with a fun vibe. Not sure who I'd put in it apart from Emma. Hopefully a lot of new characters.

Bringing OT threads up in here usually does come across that way even if I often agree with what people are saying.

Sean C

Wonder Woman #11: The conclusion of "The Lies", the contemporary-set storyline in Rucka's run that hasn't been quite as interested as his origins take, but we're getting to the meat now. And as anyone who's read a Rucka comic knows, it's all one ongoing thing anyway, so while this arc is technically over, it's more a beginning than an ending.
Also, it's hard not to interpret much of this issue as a pretty brazen middle finger to Brian Azzarello's run.

I think there are plenty of unreasonable and downright ridiculous posts in that thread

But you're still right on your last point. I've said this before, but this thread is exactly like hanging out around the counter of a comic book shop, for better or for worse.

Roman

I've been thinking about which of these X books I'd really like to be great and it's probably Generation X. Hopefully they have a really good team on it with a fun vibe. Not sure who I'd put in it apart from Emma. Hopefully a lot of new characters.

Honestly I don't even know where to find any inner optimism for those books at this point.

From interviews it seems they are trying to make this X-Men Rebirth in a way. However, I'm still extremely cautious, since it's current Marvel.

"x-men has been crap since bendis"

lol is this real life.

Like, it'd be one thing if he was the pioneer behind Schism and Avengers vs X-Men, and then all this recent Inhumans stuff.

But i can't say I'm surprised. People in the past have blamed Bendis for the direction Slott has taken with Parker Industries. Because you know, somehow, Bendis is also the secret mastermind behind everything wrong with Marvel. :p

Roman

I think there are plenty of unreasonable and downright ridiculous posts in that thread

But you're still right on your last point. I've said this before, but this thread is exactly like hanging out around the counter of a comic book shop, for better or for worse.

Maybe if we were more active on Discord we could write those kinds of venting messages in there instead of here.

What's the link, for the record?

Honestly I don't even know where to find any inner optimism for those books at this point.

From interviews it seems they are trying to make this X-Men Rebirth in a way. However, I'm still extremely cautious, since it's current Marvel.

I bet I could list dozens of great "current Marvel" books. I am sure I could list at least a dozen I consider beyond reproach.

Marvel has problems and unfortunately most of them involve some of their most important properties. But this "current Marvel is just bad" train of thought is one of the most prominent shoddy claims in the thread you were defending just moments ago. It's all based on confirmation bias and limited experience.

We go round and round in here with people lining up all the Marvel books they are loving yet this argument keeps rearing its head on a regular basis all the same.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Avengers v X-Men was the first event book I ever read before getting serious about comics

Knew I should've quit

Sandfox

You could have said the same thing about DC when Rebirth was announced. People are going to be excited for things that sound promising to them.
Like, it'd be one thing if he was the pioneer behind Schism and Avengers vs X-Men, and then all this recent Inhumans stuff.

But i can't say I'm surprised. People in the past have blamed Bendis for the direction Slott has taken with Parker Industries. Because you know, somehow, Bendis is also the secret mastermind behind everything wrong with Marvel. :p
I've seen people blame Slott for stuff that happened during the Clone Saga.

Roman

I bet I could list dozens of great "current Marvel" books. I am sure I could list at least a dozen I consider beyond reproach.

Marvel has problems and unfortunately most of them involve some of their most important properties. But this "current Marvel is just bad" train of thought is one of the most prominent shoddy claims in the thread you were defending just moments ago. It's all based on confirmation bias and limited experience.

I know that Marvel has lots of great titles. Ms. Marvel is great and so is Steve Rogers. I was specifically referring to their issues with the X-Men franchise books. Maybe I should've been clearer on that. The whole thing stinks currently, with minor exceptions.

You could have said the same thing about DC when Rebirth was announced. People are going to be excited for things that sound promising to them.

That's fair. I hope it will be good but I'm just inherently not an optimist.

Sandfox

I know that Marvel has lots of great titles. Ms. Marvel is great and so is Steve Rogers. I was specifically referring to their issues with the X-Men franchise books. Maybe I should've been clearer on that. The whole thing stinks currently, with minor exceptions.
I agree, but now Marvel is promising to do exactly what people have wanted with both the X-Men and Inhumans so now we need to see what comes of it. IMO the Inhumans titles look strong so that has me hopeful for the X-books.

Hagi

I'm cautious about them solely because they announced a bunch of stuff with no creative teams. Once we get to know who's on what and what they are doing with their respective books my interest will be piqued accordingly. I'm definitely excited about the idea of the new books though but there's no weight to that.

I'll say this I really hope they have someone new for Gold and Blue.

How is Ultimates 2 #1? Worth a read or dumpster fire?

I liked it, there's some really interesting things in it. A little too much Carol talking but I'm excited from where they go from here.

Sandfox

I'm cautious about them solely because they announced a bunch of stuff with no creative teams. Once we get to know who's on what and what they are doing with their respective books my interest will be piqued accordingly. I'm definitely excited about the idea of the new books though but there's no weight to that.

I'll say this I really hope they have someone new for Gold and Blue.
Marvel isn't going to put someone new on a book that important unless it's a really big name.

We are pretty smug alright.
We can be at times but we are also welcome to anyone coming in here and that asks for advice or recommendations.

Over the years I've been through enough OT comic threads to know how those usually play out

In other news I think I have my DC BOGO CMX sale wishlist set up. Going to pick up some fun and great deep cuts. It's a shame Manhunter isn't going to be wrapped up before this sale hits. Also I just saw that Jill Thompson wrote and drew a WW grsphic novel at some point. Somehow I never knew this.

Speaking of Manhunter, Messi did you ever give that book a shot? Kate is a really interesting character

Messi

We can be at times but we are also welcome to anyone coming in here and that asks for advice or recommendations.

Over the years I've been through enough OT comic threads to know how those usually play out

In other news I think I have my DC BOGO CMX sale wishlist set up. Going to pick up some fun and great deep cuts. It's a shame Manhunter isn't going to be wrapped up before this sale hits. Also I just saw that Jill Thompson wrote and drew a WW grsphic novel at some point. Somehow I never knew this.

Speaking of Manhunter, Messi did you ever give that book a shot? Kate is a really interesting character

I was being flippant. I honestly think we are one of the more welcoming communities. When is the last time we didn't go above and beyond for some new person asking for book recs. Can we be petty sometimes sure. But most communities aren't all good. Zombeen sucks for example.

I'm buying Manhunter in the bogo

I was being flippant. I honestly think we are one of the more welcoming communities. When is the last time we didn't go above and beyond for some new person asking for book recs. Can we be petty sometimes sure. But most communities aren't all good. Zombeen sucks for example.

I'm buying Manhunter in the bogo
Cool. I look forward to what you think of the book. It was one of the hidden gem books when it was coming out.

Roman

I know that you guys are. I have seen you go way beyond the call of duty in helping newcomers out. But I'm just saying that if someone came over here from the other thread asking for advice and saw those posts, they could be hesitant to even ask.

I know that you guys are. I have seen you go way beyond the call of duty in helping newcomers out. But I'm just saying that if someone came over here from the other thread asking for advice and saw those posts, they could be hesitant to even ask.

tumblr_inline_nggbh7wVpg1t3upa6.gif

You've been here two minutes, comparatively speaking.

How many issues of Manhunter are missing on CMX currently? Saw a "new" one show up in today's list of issues.

Edit: I'll probably make a thread about all the Black Friday CMX sales once DC's are up. List books you want me to include as good examples of what people should buy if you want.

Top Bottom