• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Hmm, think I'm going to reread Dial H this week. Had planned to reread Y The Last Man, but I dunno, I'm not feeling it. Just not in the mood I guess.

What's the deal with the art on spider gwen?

And what do people think of frostbite so far? Amy good?

Boogiepop

Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme dropped for me. I kind of like young Ancient One, but that's about all it's got for me from these first two issues that's doing anything for me. Also, much as I'm sure people in here do not feel the same... Cave Carson has done nothing for me whatsoever in two issues, so I'm dropping that too. Clearly there's something there since people seem to love it, but it just isn't working for me.

Also, hit the Wendigo arc in Claremont X-men. Not much to say, outside of bleh, Angel being added to the roster (though he's done nothing whatsoever so far). Like, I mean, I feel for the guy, but when your one power is "can fly" in the Marvel universe, you seem pretty damn bland and unnecessary. Especially when you're on the same team as Storm...

Oh, and I just want to say... that Annual where they go to "hell" and Nightcrawler gets his "origin" revealed is the first bit of the run that made me say "well, that was crap". Almost the entire thing is spent showing off this "hell", but the art just doesn't carry it at all, and so it feels incredibly... empty. And then they jam in a halfbaked Nightcrawler origin that both doesn't fit well (like, the events of that are REALLY supposed to have led to where we first see him? Because that syncs up pretty terribly), and is so halfbaked that it only gets like 2 pages and feels super underwhelming. So not only was this a crap issue, it's also a "waste" of giving Nightcrawler an interesting origin, which is probably why I've never heard any of this mentioned before reading this comic. Bleh.

Tizoc

Praise the sun, comics are saved
MTMTE-Revolution-02.jpg

MTMTE-Revolution-03.jpg

MTMTE-Revolution-04.jpg

MTMTE-Revolution-05.jpg

MTMTE-Revolution-06.jpg
http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/11/23/mtmte-revolution-five-page-preview-329099

...wait is that a jab at USAvengers?

I approve of anything that uses the M.A.S.K. theme song for a reference.

Revolution has been great overall. Feeling very positive about the future direction for the Hasbroverse.

I'm at like issue #206 of Claremont's X-Men and pre-New Mutants >>>>>>>> everything after and if you disagree you are factually incorrect. Too much crossover/tie-in crap where are my meaty brood saga-tier stories. Every other issue now I feel like there's something I missed reading or some awkward time-skip or something happened off-panel that I missed reading. And I've read everything I'm supposed to read!

PS. Secret Wars II has to be objectively the worst Marvel Event

TheFlow

Banned
I'm at like issue #206 of Claremont's X-Men and pre-New Mutants >>>>>>>> everything after and if you disagree you are factually incorrect. Too much crossover/tie-in crap where are my meaty brood saga-tier stories. Every other issue now I feel like there's something I missed reading or some awkward time-skip or something happened off-panel that I missed reading. And I've read everything I'm supposed to read!

PS. Secret Wars II has to be objectively the worst Marvel Event

damn and I just hit #102. I am going all the way to Bendis Xmen.

I am dreading the tie ins, and spinoffs. will read new mutants though because I love that team

damn and I just hit #102. I am going all the way to Bendis Xmen.

I am dreading the tie ins, and spinoffs. will read new mutants though because I love that team

Me too! Maybe you'll like it more than me. I just feel like the flow of Uncanny X-Men gets really messed up once it starts crossing over with other stuff. None of the tie-ins and whatnot are bad except for Secret Wars.

Part of the problem is because MU doesn't have the proper dates for release (as far as I'm aware) so it's difficult determine the order to read some of the annuals, if you should read an issue of x before y or vice versa, etc.

TheFlow

Banned
Me too! Maybe you'll like it more than me. I just feel like the flow of Uncanny X-Men gets really messed up once it starts crossing over with other stuff. None of the tie-ins and whatnot are bad except for Secret Wars.

Part of the problem is because MU doesn't have the proper dates for release (as far as I'm aware) so it's difficult determine the order to read some of the annuals, if you should read an issue of x before y or vice versa, etc.
Oh damn I will keep that in mind.

Wait, did Deathstroke get better? Because I thought #1-#3 was very dull

Yes. It got quite a lot better right around when you dropped it. I didn't dislike the first few, but they were not special. Now it's really good.

Loads better. Fantastic book right now.

Deathstroke is so fucking good and I'm so glad DC found a way to get Priest on board to do it. It's so fucking packed it's not even funny.

I hope you jerks are happy, as I just bought everything post the worthless Rebirth one-shot. I'll hold you collectively responsible if it sucks.

Is this one of those things were people are actually enjoying Aquaman and Green Lanterns, or is this the good stuff? I'm diving in to find out.

Oh yeah, this thread is super fucking snobby, I'm honestly surprised new people ever stick around.

Snobby is not the term I'd use. People go full asshole quite often, and one or two posters are antagonistic to the point they get added to multiple ignore lists. It is what it is.

The vast majority of people are nice, friendly, and accepting of other members and their opinions. Most of us trade barbs in a friendly manner, and there are several posters who can provide you tailored suggestions far and wide.

We even slightly tolerate Valiant discussion. Just don't press your luck.

Malyse

What's the deal with the art on spider gwen?

And what do people think of frostbite so far? Amy good?
I'm already liking it despite the art. Don't force more suffering on me, Marvel. If Chris Visions is the new artist, I'm out. I mean, if you can't at least get me pretty pictures with the meandering plot, why I am even still here?

I like it.
But I like things.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I hope you jerks are happy, as I just bought everything post the worthless Rebirth one-shot. I'll hold you collectively responsible if it sucks.

Is this one of those things were people are actually enjoying Aquaman and Green Lanterns, or is this the good stuff? I'm diving in to find out.

Yep, I've bought them too haha

I gave up on Aquaman and Green Lantern. One rehashes stories told 4 years ago, the other is fucking pathetic.

Ross61

Nah I dropped it. Dullsville.

Edit: if I had to bet on it I would say Lash is gonna like Deathstroke and Tragic is gonna hate it

Deathstroke is a really superb book but I can see not everyone enjoying it.

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad: Williamson & Fabok Preview Rebirth Event: http://www.cbr.com/justice-league-vs-suicide-squad-williamson-fabok-preview-dcs-first-rebirth-event/

"This DC New Talent Showcase exclusive puts a fresh spin on iconic characters"(AV Club preview):http://www.avclub.com/article/dc-new-talent-showcase-exclusive-puts-fresh-spin-i-246421

Next week seems to be a bye week for DC excluding the New Talent Showcase and Batman and Superman annuals.

Yep, I've bought them too haha

I gave up on Aquaman and Green Lantern. One rehashes stories told 4 years ago, the other is fucking pathetic.

Lashley: All right. Whick book is poison, Green Lanterns or Deathstroke? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both read, and find out who is right...and who is dead.

Tragicomedy: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would read Green Lanterns or Deathstroke? Now, a clever man might choose the known shittiness of Green Lanterns, because he would know that only a great fool would risk the unknown Deathstroke. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not borrow your tainted iPad and read Green Lanterns. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not read the Deathstroke books loaded on my iPad.

Lashley: You've made your decision then?

Tragicomedy: Not remotely. Because Green Lanterns is written by Sam Humphries, and everyone knows he's a awful writer who can't be trusted, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose those books loaded on your iPad.

Lashley: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

Tragicomedy: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?

Lashley: Humphries.

Tragicomedy: Yes, Humphries. And you must have suspected I would know his reputation for crap comic books, so I can clearly not choose the Deathstroke books loaded on my iPad.

Lashley: You're just stalling now.

Tragicomedy: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've made it through Death of X, which means you have a high tolerance for bad comics, so you could pick Green Lanterns, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose that. But, you've also read Civil War II, which means you have infinite resilience, so you might risk the poison that is Deathstroke, so I can clearly not choose that.

Lashley: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.

Tragicomedy: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHICH BOOK IS POISON!

Lashley: Then make your choice.

Tragicomedy: I will, and I choose...what in the world can that be?

[Tragicomedy notifies a mod of The Flow's trolling. Lashley is distracted. Tragicomedy swaps iPads]

Lashley: Good riddance, now where were we?

Tragicomedy: No matter. First, let's read. Me from my iPad, and you from yours.

[They read. Tragicomedy reads Green Lanterns, Lashley reads Deathstroke]

Lashley: You guessed wrong.

Tragicomedy: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched iPads when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never trust Bendis on a team book or event" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never read Valiant"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

[Both men die]

Lashley

Hahaha, well that was something....

Green Lanterns is poison. Worse than Aquaman by a loooooong way.

I read Venom #1, it was alright, nice twist with
the host being a bad guy,
but not interested enough to get #2

Lashley

who is the host!?

I had to skip this week comics but hopefully I will be the proud owner of a new 3ds and pokemon sun

An old army vet, who lost a few fingers and is down on his luck.

Wants to use the symbiote
to make money and have power.

Sandfox

venom fans are going to be pissed, but I don't think they were buying the last run
image.jpg
The Venom fanbase is pretty split between a love for the old and new versions with this book being a mix of the two. I found the first issue to be a nice start and we'll see how it goes.

TheFlow

Banned
The Venom fanbase is pretty split between a love for the old and new versions with this book being a mix of the two. I found the first issue to be a nice start and we'll see how it goes.

I open to it. will pick up the first issue.

If I can read death of X I can just about stomach anything.

Zombine

Banned
Holy shit these last 3-ish episodes of Luke Cage are HAMMY. After
Cottonmouth is killed
the show really sort of starts to go off the rails. Episode 12 is almost entirely pointless filler.

the second to last episode.

Edit: episode picked up again. So many emotions.

How was Geoff Johns' Avengers run?
Red Lanterns tho
That's what I've been saying. Inhuman was solid, too. I blame editorial mandate and being forced to maintain a status quo as a flagship book. Something Soule just doesn't either have the capability to do or doesn't want to do it.
Bendis, for all his faults (most of which were in All-New X-Men and not Uncanny, mind), had the courtesy of leaving the X-Men with an interesting, forward-looking status quo, that Lemire, Hopeless and Bunn immediately shit on with this wack M-Pox bullshit.
While I felt that they didn't put out anything great (All-New was too slow and Uncanny ranged from boring to incomprehensible), I think EXM was fine. I put a lot more weight on editorial mandate than anything. Though that doesn't leave the writers blameless. Uncanny was bland and All-New was just too slow and while I respect the decision to be more character-focused and less about the world around them, the characters weren't grabbing my interest.
Honestly I don't even know where to find any inner optimism for those books at this point.

From interviews it seems they are trying to make this X-Men Rebirth in a way. However, I'm still extremely cautious, since it's current Marvel.
Current Marvel has also put out some damn fine comics.
I certainly hope you don't enjoy seeing a woman penetrated with more than four fingers, because if so you are out of luck, friend.
What about three fingers and a thumb?
Oh yeah, this thread is super fucking snobby, I'm honestly surprised new people ever stick around.
I did

Am I snobby?

Time to end it
who is the host!?
220px-Lorne(angel).jpg

Holy shit these last 3-ish episodes of Luke Cage are HAMMY. After
Cottonmouth is killed
the show really sort of starts to go off the rails. Episode 12 is almost entirely pointless filler.

the second to last episode.

Edit: episode picked up again. So many emotions.

I've said it before, but I thought
Diamondback brought the show down.
Never been a better time to be a comic book fan.

Y0j3gEr.gif

What show did Commander Steel show up in? LoT?

shingi70

Banned
How was Geoff Johns' Avengers run?

That's what I've been saying. Inhuman was solid, too. I blame editorial mandate and being forced to maintain a status quo as a flagship book. Something Soule just doesn't either have the capability to do or doesn't want to do it.

While I felt that they didn't put out anything great (All-New was too slow and Uncanny ranged from boring to incomprehensible), I think EXM was fine. I put a lot more weight on editorial mandate than anything. Though that doesn't leave the writers blameless. Uncanny was bland and All-New was just too slow and while I respect the decision to be more character-focused and less about the world around them, the characters weren't grabbing my interest.

Current Marvel has also put out some damn fine comics.

What about three fingers and a thumb?

I did

Am I snobby?

Time to end it

220px-Lorne(angel).jpg

I've said it before, but I thought
Diamondback brought the show down.

What show did Commander Steel show up in? LoT?

Steel is I legends along with the JSA.

We used to be great at retaining members then something changed.

I think a major difference is it seems comic Gaf members will take breaks from the thread then pop up.

TheFlow

Banned
true. a lot people posting now, are oldies who took breaks.

remember when we had that one guy in here talking about racist stuff. legendary

Top Bottom