• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2016. Wilde for comics, 2 Hickman books this month.

Sandfox

So it seems like there will be more non-Inhuman characters in the Secret Warriors book.I don't really know who to expect though lol.

Just read DoX.

No, it does not make sense, it treats some of my favorite characters horribly and the writing is atrocious. Everyone involved should be ashamed. But my venom for it is utterly spent. Whatever, it's over, it was the worst damn event from Marvel since...geez I don't even know. Something in the '90s. Okay. Let's move on and hope that something interesting can be salvaged from the character assassination of
Emma Frost

Edit: can't wait for
Medusa and Black Bolt to throw a fit when they learn Emma let them believe they killed Scott when they fucking did their best to murder an ally and friend and haven't given a single ounce of shit since it happened
I think it would be pretty easy for a writer to just come in and use the grief card to get Emma back on track. Given that a lot of the mutants we thought died seem to still be alive, I'm curious to see what happens with them.

Phamit

This is better IMO because
it "redeems" Cyclops as a character and other X-Men are going to have some crazy reactions when they learn the truth.

Hm Truth,
Í forgot the "redeeming" part. Maybe if they actually let him do him something and not let the projection do the majority of the redeeming stuff, it wouldn't feel so cheap. They also needed a reason to delay for IvX and the projecting thing is a explanation that would work.

mreddie

Death of X/Civil War 2:

giphy.gif

Hagi

Just read DoX.

No, it does not make sense, it treats some of my favorite characters horribly and the writing is atrocious. Everyone involved should be ashamed. But my venom for it is utterly spent. Whatever, it's over, it was the worst damn event from Marvel since...geez I don't even know. Something in the '90s. Okay. Let's move on and hope that something interesting can be salvaged from the character assassination of
Emma Frost

Edit: can't wait for
Medusa and Black Bolt to throw a fit when they learn Emma let them believe they killed Scott when they fucking did their best to murder an ally and friend and haven't given a single ounce of shit since it happened

Everyone hates Scott. Nobody gives a shit that they "murdered him. Nobody gives a shit that they only have one killer cloud that the worlds worst Scientist Hank McCoy can't fix instead of two. Emma became the fourth cuckoo.

Not a fan. Not a fan at all. Makes you wonder what the hell the mutants and Inhumans are even fighting against each other for in Inhumans vs. X-Men.

Sandfox

I didn't even remember it was comic book day. Anything good?

Well Death of X has everyone's attention.

Everyone hates Scott. Nobody gives a shit that they "murdered him. Nobody gives a shit that they only have one killer cloud that the worlds worst Scientist Hank McCoy can't fix instead of two. Emma became the fourth cuckoo.

Not a fan. Not a fan at all. Makes you wonder what the hell the mutants and Inhumans are even fighting against each other for in Inhumans vs. X-Men.

Well I mean you said yourself that there's still one killer cloud and the Inhumans clearly don't care lol.

Hagi

I didn't think CWII #7 was that bad. I almost liked it and it's still a really pretty book.

I just want it to be done. It's been oddly paced and feels bloated, I don't see why they needed 8 issues to tell this story. The core conflict between Carol and Tony has never felt well realized either. I did like the little
interaction between Ulysses and OML
but at the same time I think we should have been at that point a few issues ago and not right now. Interesting ideas, badly implemented is how I see this event.

mreddie

I just want it to be done. It's been oddly paced and feels bloated, I don't see why they needed 8 issues to tell this story. The core conflict between Carol and Tony has never felt well realized either. I did like the little
but at the same time I think we should have been at that point a few issues ago and not right now. Interesting ideas, badly implemented is how I see this event.

6kbUPRi.png

You know what is just going to fester for fucking ever

That mutants
have been widely condemning Cyclops for his horrible actions all fucking year when all he/Emma did was try to disarm the cloud of death that no mutant on Earth was safe from. Instead of the fucking Inhumans who tried their very best to stop him/her. Who valued their people getting cool powers - against their will - over the actual lives of mutants
. Hmmm what does that sound like. The Inhumans are fucking monsters and nobody cares.

CWII trade recommendations: "I almost liked it...really pretty book"

I prefer "not completely awful" I will try to work that into my next review

Yeah I completely agree. The pacing has been soooo fucking bad

Hagi

You know what is just going to fester for fucking ever

That mutants
have been widely condemning Cyclops for his horrible actions all fucking year when all he/Emma did was try to disarm the cloud of death that no mutant on Earth was safe from. Instead of the fucking Inhumans who tried their very best to stop him/her. Who valued their people getting cool powers - against their will - over the actual lives of mutants
. Hmmm what does that sound like. The Inhumans are fucking monsters and nobody cares.

I prefer "not completely awful" I will try to work that into my next review

All this does is show that they they never planned any of this shit properly and came up with the reasons later on.
The whole Magik and Sunfire beef especially makes zero sense because she was there the whole time and complicit in everything they did yet she gets a free pass.

All this does is show that they they never planned any of this shit properly and came up with the reasons later on.
The whole Magik and Sunfire beef especially makes zero sense because she was there the whole time and complicit in everything they did yet she gets a free pass.

I think you're probably right, and this is the danger with this storytelling strategy. You better fucking know exactly what happened and make fucking sure all of your emotional beats make sense. You can't make it up later. This is why.

Hagi

I think you're probably right, and this is the danger with this storytelling strategy. You better fucking know exactly what happened and make fucking sure all of your emotional beats make sense. You can't make it up later. This is why.

Yup it's really a shame because I liked where Bendis left the X-men and Scott and then we got "HE DID SOMETHING HORRIBLE" all year and it's the equivalent of releasing a new Wii U game.

To be fair, they're the least awful NuHumans
I like all the Inhumans, so that's not the issue. I'm just really confused as to that particular team. The premise of Secret Warriors was superhuman spy games, and the reason Fury picked his team is because they were supervillain kids (immediately dismissed as bad eggs) and were almost entirely off the grid. Plus, these kids didn't really know what to do with their shit. They were aimless and Fury was giving them a target. These Inhumans aren't that. Ms. Marvel is a member of the Champions, the premiere hero of New Jersey, and a former Avenger. Karnak is known by the super community at the very least. Quake was a director of SHIELD and is currently part of a core SHIELD team. Plus, I don't see Kamala as a spy game girl. Inferno I get. He's largely unknown and is pretty much a blank slate outside of Soule's Inhuman. Plus, he's already an established New Attilan Royal Guard, which just supports that anyone who isn't going into space is pretty much just left on Earth.

And Moon Girl...the fuck?

It's weird.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
soo, did the whole Watchmen/DC thing get adressed by now?

I got 4 issues into Extraordinary before I got tired of how dumb the writing and character interactions were.

Moon knight is interesting if not slowly plotted in a wannabe LOST sort of way.

Have the Thanos issue 1 but haven't read it.

I think I'm slowly going to throw Lemire into the "Avoid this writer at all costs, collect trade at best" pile soon.

I like all the Inhumans, so that's not the issue. I'm just really confused as to that particular team. The premise of Secret Warriors was superhuman spy games, and the reason Fury picked his team is because they were supervillain kids (immediately dismissed as bad eggs) and were almost entirely off the grid. Plus, these kids didn't really know what to do with their shit. They were aimless and Fury was giving them a target. These Inhumans aren't that. Ms. Marvel is a member of the Champions, the premiere hero of New Jersey, and a former Avenger. Karnak is known by the super community at the very least. Quake was a director of SHIELD and is currently part of a core SHIELD team. Plus, I don't see Kamala as a spy game girl. Inferno I get. He's largely unknown and is pretty much a blank slate outside of Soule's Inhuman. Plus, he's already an established New Attilan Royal Guard, which just supports that anyone who isn't going into space is pretty much just left on Earth.

It's weird.

The interview kinda explains it better

I would have been much more into "All Winners Squad"

Sandfox

It's weird.
Rosenberg said that these aren't the only members of the team and the others won't be Inhumans.

Sandfox

I got 4 issues into Extraordinary before I got tired of how dumb the writing and character interactions were.

I think I'm slowly going to throw Lemire into the "Avoid this writer at all costs, collect trade at best" pile soon.
I enjoy MK, OML, and Black Hammer from him and Thanos got a positive reception from what I've seen.
See its Red because Deadpools suit is red. And tool because he is a tool and it rhymes with pool.
And red sounds like dead.

I appreciate this sentiment, really, but give his independent work a chance. His cape stuff,. Imo, he has had one fucking awesome cape run (animal man) and two okay to good depending on preference (OML & Green Arrow) but otherwise, yea, he can be a bit of an abortion at the big two. Can't speak to Moon Knight or Thanos yet personally, waiting on that trade.

BUT. Sweet Tooth. Descender. Underwater Welder. The Nobody. Trillium. By all accounts Black Hammer & Essex County, dude can actually write, he's just MUCH better inside his own head with his own characters than playing the big two game. I was just writing a page or so back, Sweet Tooth is one of my favourite comic runs full stop, such an accomplished piece of work, others will tell you the same about Essex County. It's a shame he rubs people up this way with some of his major work though and they potentially get put off him for good

Ross61

soo, did the whole Watchmen/DC thing get adressed by now?

Nope. Check back in 2018.

Next month they should start answering some questions, while asking more in Suicide Squad vs Justice League.

Oh look, another thread where people who don't read comics anymore think they know everything about today's comics from one story.

Roman

My thoughts on Death of X from the other thread.

This is one of the least surprising "twists" I have seen in a long time. I and many others speculated exactly this to be the case since they've been telegraphing this since at least #2. The #3 cover was completely obvious about it.

The whole situation is a poorly handled, poorly written mess that I hope they will fix next year with Blue and Gold.

Cyclops is right even when it's not even really him. I have no clue where Marvel is even going with this anymore. If they wanted to "show" people how "wrong" he is there would be much simpler ways.

Civil War II #7 was just straight up a waste of time, especially due to being delayed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hah, what a surprise.

Jonathan Hickman ‏@JHickman 36s37 seconds ago
And a bit of bad news. We're delaying FRONTIER. As we're running late enough to cause severe ordering problems.

Will be resolicited.

Top Bottom