• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JH Williams did some stellar work on Batwoman Elegy onwards. Shame all that horrible Didio stuff went down.

I'm gonna go read Elegy again...

Man this looks great. I might just have to add this to my IST order this weekend

EDIT: I thought those pages look familiar... I actually have that issue of Batwoman #1. I picked it up in a radon 50c/$1 box or something I think. I remember loving the art and layout of the book

Messi

Man this looks great. I might just have to add this to my IST order this weekend

EDIT: I thought those pages look familiar... I actually have that issue of Batwoman #1. I picked it up in a radon 50c/$1 box or something I think. I remember loving the art and layout of the book

Can't go wrong with Rucka's Elegy. If you like that it leads nicely into the new 52 run.

Cheska

Damnit Sideshow, I was trying to save money :( Batgirl ordered...at least my payments don't start until next year. I'll have Wonder Woman and Catwoman by then.

Is annihilator #2 next week? I was looking for previews and all I came up with was 1990 Grant Morrison profile pics

Grant1990.png

Legendary can't promote their own comics for SHIT

frye

Uncanny Avengers

wut

If you're talking about the "you're as bad as hitler!!" thing, I think it's supposed to mirror the end of Uncanny X-Force #4, but yeah it's kiinda dumb. If you're talking about the RED ONSLAUGHT tho, that rules

anywaays here's 12 comix i would be stranded on a desert island with:

100% #3 (Pope)
The Dark Knight Strikes Again #1 (Miller)
Elektra Assassin #1 (Miller, Sienkiewicz)
Flex Mentallo #4 (Morrison, Quitely)
Hellblazer #67 (Ennis, Dillon)
JLA #65 (Kelly, Mahkne)
Plastic Man #8 (Baker)
Rubbert Blanket #3 (Mazzucchelli)
Rise of Arsenal #3 (Krul et al.)
Superman Annual #11 (Moore, Gibbons)
X-Force #124 (Milligan, Cooke)
V for Vendetta #2 (Moore, Lloyd)

Slizz

Bought The Fade Out #2 an Deadly Class #7 today and I can't read either.

Been waiting 2 weeks for The Fade Out #1 Movie mag variant to get delivered(Cali to So. Fla via US mail, basic shipping, eternity)

Should however be getting the TPB of Deadly Class 1-6 tomorrow.

If you're talking about the "you're as bad as hitler!!" thing, I think it's supposed to mirror the end of Uncanny X-Force #4, but yeah it's kiinda dumb. If you're talking about the RED ONSLAUGHT tho, that rules

kinda both but mainly the latter

also, checking out bleeding cool for the first time in a month or 2

iJ7eYOpugZvDi.jpg

oh dear

Just read Rat Queens #8... It was pretty good ...
Two things though... Violet and her
beard. Haha wtf
And whats up with that last page? Hannah
pulling violet threw a mirror/portal ?

Zombine

Banned
Bought The Fade Out #2 an Deadly Class #7 today and I can't read either.

Been waiting 2 weeks for The Fade Out #1 Movie mag variant to get delivered(Cali to So. Fla via US mail, basic shipping, eternity)

Should however be getting the TPB of Deadly Class 1-6 tomorrow.

Where did you order from? Being on the east coast Midtown is a better option than TFAW.

Boogiepop

I will definitely +1 Batwoman being awesome and something everyone should read! Though admittedly I'm not super caught up on the New 52 run. I believe I got to the end of the trade/arc in which
Killer Croc turns into the Hydra.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

100% #3 (Pope)
JLA #65 (Kelly, Mahkne)
Plastic Man #8 (Baker)

Oh yeah, I still need to read 100%. I didn't really care much for Heavy Liquid even though I thought it'd be right up my alley, but I still think I'd really like 100%.

Also, is DKSA #1 supposed to be good even though the mini as a whole is regarded as awful? Or do you just have an unpopular opinion regarding your enjoyment of that?
Coincidentally, I do have DKSA #1. I bought some used comics online from someone who was also selling DKSA and I asked the person if they could just throw that into my order since nobody likes it anyways and I was curious about it, and they did, and as it turns out it was just #1, not the TPB. I haven't read it yet though.

Also, I just Googled X-Force #124 to see which X-Statix issue it was and I realized that I can't remember much of it, so that means it's time for a re-read sometime in the near-ish future. Awesome.

Anyways, your list is pretty much a list of stuff I've been curious about but haven't gotten around to reading yet. Thanks for posting it!

100% #3 (Pope)
JLA #65 (Kelly, Mahkne)
Plastic Man #8 (Baker)

some really great choices here, especially Rise of Arsenal #3

arsenal2.jpg

100% #3 has the sex scene, right? good comics, 100%

Peter David is understandably upset about ANXF's cancellation.

Taking out that frustration on paying customers? Super shitty.

iRR9q04rPr2F6.png

Let's be honest, All-New's team and concept just wasn't that interesting. Combine that with an already small but dedicated fanbase and a $4 price tag, it just wasn't meant to be.

Hell, let's be brutally honest, the last good issue of PAD's X-Factor was the "Run, Layla, Run" issue and everything since has been average at best. The Hell on Earth arc with Tic was damn near a chore to read.

Kipp

some really great choices here, especially Rise of Arsenal #3

Wait a minute... Your post got me thinking... How many of Frye's desert island comics have sex scenes in them? If that image you posted is from Rise of Arsenal, there's one. And then 100% #3. And then X-Force #124. I haven't read any of the other ones though, so I need some help here.

frye

Yup.

Wait a minute... Your post got me thinking... How many of Frye's desert island comics have sex scenes in them? If that image you posted is from Rise of Arsenal, there's one. And then 100% #3. And then X-Force #124. I haven't read any of the other ones though, so I need some help here.

I think those are it actually (though DKSA has maybe the greatest sex scene in a superhero comic of all time in issue 2). Decent amount of relationship comics too (100%, X-Force, Hellblazer). And Plastic Man (Plastic Man, JLA). That's what I like I guess.

DKSA isn't generally well-regarded but I went in after a weird period in 2009 when basically every comics blog I was reading was reevaluating it and it's totally nuts in a really interesting way. The greatest colourist in American comics discovering photoshop, Miller infusing his Sin City/300 look back into Batman. It's his Supreme (i.e. his "apology" for his 1986 masterwork). Definitely the last "great" Miller work and probably will be for a while.

Kipp

I think those are it actually (though DKSA has maybe the greatest sex scene in a superhero comic of all time in issue 2). Decent amount of relationship comics too (100%, X-Force, Hellblazer). And Plastic Man (Plastic Man, JLA). That's what I like I guess.

DKSA isn't generally well-regarded but I went in after a weird period in 2009 when basically every comics blog I was reading was reevaluating it and it's totally nuts in a really interesting way. The greatest colourist in American comics discovering photoshop, Miller infusing his Sin City/300 look back into Batman. It's his Supreme (i.e. his "apology" for his 1986 masterwork). Definitely the last "great" Miller work and probably will be for a while.

Ah okay. Wasn't judging you, just was curious. Haha. I really enjoy a focus on relationships as well.

And regarding DKSA, that's very interesting. When I do read it, I'll have to keep that stuff in mind. I'm a big Miller fan, so I really do want to enjoy DKSA even though everyone says it's awful.

I said i'd never buy a normal $5 Marvel comic, but I recently discovered that those Death of Wolvy comics have holo foil covers. Sooooo.

100% #3 (Pope)
JLA #65 (Kelly, Mahkne)
Plastic Man #8 (Baker)

The true classics

arsenal4.jpg

sca2511

The Wizard World that was held in early March (3/7-3/9/14, I think). I honestly think the artist's alley for our locally run Sac-Con is better... we at least always have Ramon Villalobos there! Speaking of which, the con is only two weeks away. Yesssssss

I think I've been to Sac-Con twice, pretty cool. Love seeing the merchants with the older Sideshow statues.

Oh and APE Con is this weekend, my girlfriend follows some artists that are going and I also read that it's going to be at a different location. Going to be a good day for prints.

lets see, "For The Man Who Has Everything" has an off-panel sex scene, and V for Vendetta #2 almost had a sex scene

And those Miller books have sex scenes in them, some of the craziest sex in superhero comics. The DKSA one, and the one in Elektra Assassin where Elektra switches consciousness with a coma patient to sneak in close to the presidential candidate Ken Wind(who's been seduced by The Beast, satanic ninja master trying to bring back the apocalypse), but Wind's ninja(disguised as government agents naturally) catch on to her when they read SHIELD Agent Garret's mind(who Elektra is psychically connected to as well), and there's this impressionistic chase sequence with three different thoughts mixing together as Garret tries to rescue trapped/seduced Elektra. Might have made my list if I wasn't staying around from multi-part stories

Kipp

Oh man, so Space Punisher #1 is definitely going to be making it on my desert island comics list.
That mini is the most pure fun thing ever. When I read it, I can't help but keep a constant grin.
And it's a super quick read, so I've probably read it three or four times now.
Also, the art is great. It's painted. It's pretty hilarious to me that someone went to such trouble doing such nice art for a comic that is so totally ridiculous and unserious.

If it ever goes super cheap on Comixology or you find it in a discount bin somewhere, do yourself a favor and pick it up.
I'd say it's worth it even for the $7.50 it costs on IST. It is really short and really quick though, hence the bargain bin recommendation.

and the one in Elektra Assassin where Elektra switches consciousness with a coma patient to sneak in close to the presidential candidate Ken Wind(who's been seduced by The Beast, satanic ninja master trying to bring back the apocalypse), but Wind's ninja(disguised as government agents naturally) catch on to her when they read SHIELD Agent Garret's mind(who Elektra is psychically connected to as well), and there's this impressionistic chase sequence with three different thoughts mixing together as Garret tries to rescue trapped/seduced Elektra.

Uuuhhh, what. I should probably definitely read Elektra Assassin.

Finally got caught up with Transformers: More than Meets the Eye. I don't think the most recent arc is up the quality of the rest of the series (outside the crossover issues which didn't do anything for me). The DJD is terrifying though.

ReAxion

Just read Rat Queens #8... It was pretty good ...
Two things though... Violet and her
beard. Haha wtf
And whats up with that last page? Hannah
pulling violet threw a mirror/portal ?

Just read it, too. Damn fine storycraft going on here. Gonna be the best when it's back on schedule.

The first Dee cosplay in the letters section is the girl I saw at SDCC but lost in the crowd so I couldn't get a pic, I was really happy to see that.

JEKKI

picked up my pull list today for the first time in a month lol.

one thing absent from it tho was the 3D Futures End of Justice League United...

I had to order the 3D covers separately so I guess I musta missed that one.

so... is the issue any good?!?! worth picking up??

is Justice League United in general any good??

coz 5 issues in and I have no idea why I'm still reading it...

why did Green Arrow and Animal Man have to go away only to give rise to this terrible book?!?!

any plans on it actually getting decent in the future??

picked up my pull list today for the first time in a month lol.

one thing absent from it tho was the 3D Futures End of Justice League United...

I had to order the 3D covers separately so I guess I musta missed that one.

so... is the issue any good?!?! worth picking up??

is Justice League United in general any good??

coz 5 issues in and I have no idea why I'm still reading it...

why did Green Arrow and Animal Man have to go away only to give rise to this terrible book?!?!

any plans on it actually getting decent in the future??

I had the same problem - I read the whole first arc wondering why i was reading it. It's not good

Read the rest of my books tonight. I'll give my one line reviews and get to books of the week.

Rat Queens was fun but I don't remember at all how Violet got in the situation at the end.

God Hates Astronauts was funny but not as good as the first issue, IMO. Still good though.

American Vampire was a nice little side story. You get your money's worth here as half the issue is in prose along side the story.

The Woods had a nice character driven issue that was much needed.

Books of the week.

1. Grayson - turning into a top 3 book at DC.
2. Gotham Academy - great start!
3. American Vampire - I love this world.

Vibranium

Banned
Winter Soldier 1: Ales doing something special here.

Yep, he's captured Bucky as well as Jason Latour. Two important things about Buck: He can be super serious, especially since he has been doing terrible things for most of his life but also sometimes quite a smartass, dating back to his younger WWII self (he once gave away The Invaders' damn location to the Nazis' super-squad, all because he wanted to buy Toro a cake!). ...I miss Brubaker's Invaders portrayal, I want a proper Marvel WWII book now....

I like Rudy's art, hopefully layouts don't get too confusing. Ales is excellent, hope he stays for as long as he can (I do want Latour back at some point too though).

Vyer

I'm spending the night on a hospital couch, comic bros. I have a new little future comic fan in the family. :)

This couch sucks tho. Thank god for digital comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom