• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Oh Its always like that? I went to my first one in ten years besides the star wars one I went to..I wasn't expecting that

Harley is incredibly popular, it's not just me. Her book sells 60-80'000 issues a month.

She also has enough looks that people like to cosplay. I even seen a Power Girl Harley recently on some site.

I want to see more Favorite Issue Lists out there. Like if there was some desert island and you got trapped there with a longbox of a dozen or so comics what would they be. Not runs, or trade paperback collections of multiple comic like Watchmen or whatever, I mean like the one-shots or individual issues. I thought they was an interesting exercise, singling out the material that really stuck with you. I did a post on that earlier while you were away, I think.

edit: lookin at this list, its missing Stray Bullets #16, whoops

I have only been reading comics for about four years, but this sounds like fun. I'm on board with this. I'll have to open up the longboxes over the weekend. Do digital issues count?

Harley is incredibly popular, it's not just me. Her book sells 60-80'000 issues a month.

She also has enough looks that people like to cosplay. I even seen a Power Girl Harley recently on some site.

This is true. Many of my friends love Harley and their only media exposure to the character is 'Batman the Animated Series'. I find it fascinating to be honest.

@Ssnyder1835: Regarding the price point on Batman, @GregCapullo and I heard about it yesterday w/you, and quickly made a case to DC about reducing it. 1/2

@Ssnyder1835: And I can genuinely (happily) say that DC are taking it very seriously, which we appreciate. Stay tuned.

Scott Snyder from Twitter.

Fucking awesome. Very cool

Messi

I am probably one of the few people who prefers Harley's new costume than the jester outfit.

WoFCtSl.gif

I am probably one of the few people who prefers Harley's new costume than the jester outfit.

I love her new costume. To be honest, I loved her Arkham costumes too. Her classic costume is exactly that, 'classic', but I do enjoy the more modern interpretations.

Messi

I love her new costume. To be honest, I loved her Arkham costumes too. Her classic costume is exactly that, 'classic', but I do enjoy the more modern interpretations.

I'm just glad we are starting to get over that awkward try hard new 52 juggalo version. Amanda and Jimmy have here looking good most of the time. We even seen her pyjamas recently.

I'm just glad we are starting to get over that awkward try hard new 52 juggalo version. Amanda and Jimmy have here looking good most of the time. We even seen her pyjamas recently.

I did not warm to the initial New 52 costume. Amanda and Jimmy are definitely doing better things in terms of her overall appearance. Pyjamas Harley was cute.

I have only been reading comics for about four years, but this sounds like fun. I'm on board with this. I'll have to open up the longboxes over the weekend. Do digital issues count?

Sure!

get out

Silver Surfer: still really good.

even sillymonkey1
kinda
likes this book, its irresistible

why is it $4 tho marvel

really wish they could keep their B-list characters at $3, I guess they figured now that the book has an audience and its actually good they can bump it up like they did with Daredevil and Hawkeye, greedy ass niggas

gabbo

A big part of that tonal shift in Animal Man comes from the fact it was originally going to be a 4 issue mini series, but the sales were strong so it got bumped up to an ongoing.
When you first read through the series, issue 5 feels so weirdly out of place, but really it plants the seeds for the conclusion to his run.

What his Doom Patrol is for the rest of you guys, Animal Man is to me. It's hands down my favorite thing he's ever done in a superhero book.

This makes me want to shell out for the Omnibus even more now.

Boogiepop

Oh man, Dial H is awesome. Only read the first trade I think, when a friend picked it up a while back. Definitely strongly considering that hardcover. Wasn't there a bonus Villains' Month issue or something, though? Doesn't looks like that's included. Should I be upset about that?

Also, watched Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero for the first time today, and it was... disappointing. Too much awful CG and a slow, bland plot that felt like it could've easily been completely dealt with in a single episode of the show. :(

ReAxion

even sillymonkey1
kinda
likes this book, its irresistible

why is it $4 tho marvel

really wish they could keep their B-list characters at $3, I guess they figured now that the book has an audience and its actually good they can bump it up like they did with Daredevil and Hawkeye, greedy ass niggas

My feelings are mixed on this because I do value the codes that come with them at that level. I like buying a floppy to support my local store and redeeming the code to add to my digital library. Would I like to pay a dollar less for everything? yeah... but... [whimpering] codes...

I guess you could sell the code for a buck to bring it back down. I'm just less likely to buy a physical copy for $3 tho.

Also, watched Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero for the first time today, and it was... disappointing. Too much awful CG and a slow, bland plot that felt like it could've easily been completely dealt with in a single episode of the show. :(

Sub-Zero is pretty damn mediocre, yeah. Bad CGI, too thin plot stretched out with long unexciting action set pieces, etc. There's a trilogy of animated episodes I accept in my Mr. Freeze head canon: Heart of Ice, Deep Freeze, and Meltdown. SubZero and Cold Comfort are non-canon spin-offs

My feelings are mixed on this because I do value the codes that come with them at that level. I like buying a floppy to support my local store and redeeming the code to add to my digital library. Would I like to pay a dollar less for everything? yeah... but... [whimpering] codes...

I guess you could sell the code for a buck to bring it back down. I'm just less likely to buy a physical copy for $3 tho.

Selling the digital codes is the best course of action to reduce the cost of floppies. I buy codes from a friend at $2 per issue and that arrangement makes both of us happy. His issues are $2 less and he can buy more and I only pay half cost for weekly digital releases.

Messi

Batman books are turning a corner art wise. I'm loving the diversity in the line right now. Every book is something different.

Batman looks amazing always
Detective looks great
Batman and Robin always looks well in my opinion
Batwoman is nice at times dodgy other times
Batgirl is great
Grayson is great and quite colourful
Gotham Academy looks wonderful in the few panels I've seen but I will say I've not seen the full issue.
Eternal is not applicable

Who am I missing?

Catwoman if she counts who knows...

arkon

Oh man, Dial H is awesome. Only read the first trade I think, when a friend picked it up a while back. Definitely strongly considering that hardcover. Wasn't there a bonus Villains' Month issue or something, though? Doesn't looks like that's included. Should I be upset about that?
(

It might just be a mistake in the early solicitation info. I mean it's collected in the 2nd paperback trade from what I've heard. Surely DC can't fuck up the deluxe if they've already included in a TPB.

Batman books are turning a corner art wise. I'm loving the diversity in the line right now. Every book is something different.

Agreed. I think I pull just about every Bat book.. Besides Batwoman. Yeah he's my Fav... But I get them because they are all so damn good and different. Enjoy everyone one a lot

Messi

Agreed. I think I pull just about every Bat book.. Besides Batwoman. Yeah he's my Fav... But I get them because they are all so samn good and different. Enjoy everyone one a lot

Is there a reason you don't pull Batwoman? I am quite enjoying it at the moment. Not a fan of the supernatural stuff?

Batman looks amazing always
Detective looks great
Batman and Robin always looks well in my opinion
Batwoman is nice at times dodgy other times
Batgirl is great
Grayson is great and quite colourful
Gotham Academy looks wonderful in the few panels I've seen but I will say I've not seen the full issue.
Eternal is not applicable

Who am I missing?

Gotham by Midnight, which hasn't come out yet, but I do love me some Ben Templesmith.

Did the the Bat-line change editors or something

Is there a reason you don't pull Batwoman? I am quite enjoying it at the moment. Not a fan of the supernatural stuff?

I'm gonna drop that shit if
Kate and Mags don't get back together soon.
This is Dan DiDio anti-relationship fucking bullshit.

Boogiepop

It might just be a mistake in the early solicitation info. I mean it's collected in the 2nd paperback trade from what I've heard. Surely DC can't fuck up the deluxe if they've already included in a TPB.

Oh cool. That definitely makes me feel better. I'll definitely have to remember to grab that when it comes out.

I wonder why no one has attempted an Incal movie. It already reads like a screenplay and story board.

I also hadn't made the connection to Jodorowsky's Dune. I will have to watch that documentary now.

tim1138

Gotham by Midnight, which hasn't come out yet, but I do love me some Ben Templesmith.

Did the the Bat-line change editors or something

When's Gotham by Midnight dropping? Templesmith and Fawkes is enough to get me to check out at least the first issue.

gabbo said:
This makes me want to shell out for the Omnibus even more now.

The Animal Man omnibus is great, everything about it is top quality.

Zombine

Banned
My friend just got The Squidder and I'm dying to read it. Templesmith does horror good. Such a unique art style that creeps me out.

There isn't enough Cthulhu inspired material on the market to be honest. This is a good start.

Honestly.... No there is no reason. Just haven't checked an issue out. Haven't even thumbed through it... And you say supernatural stuff eh?....
Damn you Messi, looks like I will at least be checking it out now. Haha.
What's the most recent story arc? ( starting out issue )

gabbo

When's Gotham by Midnight dropping? Templesmith and Fawkes is enough to get me to check out at least the first issue.

The Animal Man omnibus is great, everything about it is top quality.

I just wish I knew what a 'good' price for it was. A BMV not far from here has it for 50 some odd dollars, which is my most likely point of purchase, but I dunno.

Messi

Honestly.... No there is no reason. Just haven't checked an issue out. Haven't even thumbed through it... And you say supernatural stuff eh?....
Damn you Messi, looks like I will at least be checking it out now. Haha.
What's the most recent story arc? ( starting out issue )

No no, it's all one thing start with Greg Ruckas Elegy trade. It's fantastic. Then get the new 52 trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom