• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay MangaComicGAF - Your top ten favorite manga series. Particular order not necessary. 123go

• Berserk
  • Yotsuba&!
  • Pluto
  • Gundam ORIGIN
  • Prison School
  • Claymore
  • Flowers of Evil
  • Emma
  • Bride's Story
  • One-Punch Man

tim1138

why are their heads so big?

Their heads are big.

Never heard of those or the company that makes them. No clue.
They are pretty neat though.

Yeah I thought they looked cool, I really want that GL

Man, we don't deal with that silly non-animu stuff. Also, was that pun intentional, or not? Because a cast-off is generally a term for a figure (usually animu and waifu in nature) that can be displayed with or without her clothing. :D

Anyway, I've never seen those before or heard of the company. Might wanna ask over in Action Figure GAF.

Wat
No wonder y'all got shut down

Messi

that arkham knight Harley Sejic art is my current ipad wallpaper.

hmmmmmm that Sejic guy has talent, i wish he had some current projects.

tumblr_n7t52xaNnz1qctvaco2_250.gif

This is disrespectful m8

It's be nice if DEATH VIGIL WOULD FINISH

Death Vigils last issue has been done and on his deviant art as a pdf for free for the past month and the physical issue came out this week. But no one cared so the series is going away. He couldnt even give it away.

Hagi

Okay MangaComicGAF - Your top ten favorite manga series. Particular order not necessary. 123go

• Berserk
  • Yotsuba&!
  • Pluto
  • Gundam ORIGIN
  • Prison School
  • Claymore
  • Flowers of Evil
  • Emma
  • Bride's Story
  • One-Punch Man

Hmm i don't really like lists but what the hey

Biomega
JJBA - Steel Ball Run
Mushishi
Berserk
Dorohedoro (my only tattoo is realted to this series)
Vagabond
One Piece
Akira
JJBA - Phantom Blood
Full Metal Alchemist

I'm probably forgetting some but these are the things I love off the top of my head. Going to start Gundam The Origin next month because I'm getting the last two volumes for my birthday. :x

• Berserk
  • Yotsuba&!
  • Pluto
  • Gundam ORIGIN
  • Prison School
  • Claymore
  • Flowers of Evil
  • Emma
  • Bride's Story
  • One-Punch Man
Wont do a full 10 but

Vagabond
Akira
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Shaman Warrior
Blade of the Immortal

I've tried Lone Wolf and Cub and actually hated it...

I used to read a lot more manga. I just hate the print size and quality of most of it now

Also apparently there's gonna be an astro boy omni released?

It's like 700 pages but 4" by 6"...

frye

^^ I've read some Lone Wolf but it's 32 fuckin volumes and the Dark Horse books are tiny

Rough
Monster
Domu
Kakukaku Shikajika
Real
Phoenix vol 4
Touch

That's probably the surest list I can do for manga -- I had a few more listed that I deleted because I don't think I could defend those choices seriously the way I could for the ones I have above.

Hagi

Messi have you read Ravine? been looking at Sejics deviant art page and wow the stuff he has for this book on it looks amazing.

• Berserk
  • Yotsuba&!
  • Pluto
  • Gundam ORIGIN
  • Prison School
  • Claymore
  • Flowers of Evil
  • Emma
  • Bride's Story
  • One-Punch Man

It's been so long since I've read manga seriously, but if it's any indication, there are only two that have stayed with me this long.

D.Gray-man
One Piece

I remember enjoying Claymore, but nothing past that

Messi

Messi have you read Ravine? been looking at Sejics deviant art page and wow the stuff he has for this book on it looks amazing.

Yep, I enjoyed it but its lore heavy with no pay off as the book got canned when no one bought it. Less than 1500 copies sold of volume 2. Beautiful art though, must have taken him ages.

Thinking about this sejic stuff depresses me.

He posted this today :(:
DqPe6Nw.png

followed it up with "and yet... you keep going... fucking addiction!"

But hey, he is going to have 3 new sunstone pages finished by the end of the week that he will post all at once.

Hagi

Yep, I enjoyed it but its lore heavy with no pay off as the book got canned when no one bought it. Less than 1500 copies sold of volume 2. Beautiful art though, must have taken him ages.

Thinking about this sejic stuff depresses me.

Oh crap it got cancelled well that sucks the stuff I saw looked amazing. Is he doing anything else other than Sunstone? I'd like to give the dude some of my money.

I remember being on the cutting edge of manga, reading Naruto in 2001 before the anime had even started lol I started watching more and reading less as time went on

Messi

Oh crap it got cancelled well that sucks the stuff I saw looked amazing. Is he doing anything else other than Sunstone? I'd like to give the dude some of my money.

Death Vigil's trade comes out 14/10 and it is amazing funny and heartfelt, 8 issues and its trade needs to sell to keep it going. But the 8 issues tell a full story. Heres a preview with stunning art. so good.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=22444

He also has Switch starting 14/10 here is a very generous preview

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/switch-1-top-cow-productions-2015

48 pages of Sejic for 3.99. Please buy it.

New Gotham on right now. Yusssss.

200w.gif

Death Vigil's trade comes out 14/10 and it is amazing funny and heartfelt, 8 issues and its trade needs to sell to keep it going. But the 8 issues tell a full story. Heres a preview with stunning art. so good.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/switch-1-top-cow-productions-2015

No info needed for me. I'm already there.

What I wanna know is why he didn't stay on Rat Queens and we got stuck with Tess Fowler. Seriously, wth.

Messi

What I wanna know is why he didn't stay on Rat Queens and we got stuck with Tess Fowler. Seriously, wth.

He said that he left because he hated getting one of the few books he actually enjoys completely and utterly spoiled on him every month when he got a script. He loved drawing it but wanted to step back and just enjoy it as a fan. He got the job by kurtis noticing his fan art.

Also he left around the time his health went to shit and his computer crapped out.

Hagi

I'll buy them both. :0

Switch sounds interesting, the preview was cute

Boogiepop

Man, top 10 manga, huh.

Let me see if I can narrow it down.

One Piece
Eyeshield 21
Air Gear
Hunter x Hunter
Ouran High School Host Club
Pretty Face (wish it went longer though as it blatantly got cut short. Also haven't read it for a while)
Tegami Bachi
March Story
Twin Spica
Ushio and Tora
Urusei Yatsura
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Went 2 over, not sure what I'd cut first. Tough call at that point. Also worth saying, this is more what I enjoyed most, not what I'd say is the "best/highest quality" stuff out there. Also, still own a good number of really well regarded runs that I just haven't read yet (Vagabond, Pluto, etc) (I have a nasty backlog).
Also if I was being honest, Pokemon Adventures may well have a spot up there, as I do honestly really enjoy it, just don't think it's up there with the rest of that stuff.

Also, when I get a chance to sit down and actually read through Phoenix (read the first two volumes, then put off going through it proper till I'd read through as much Tezuka as I could first), it ABSOLUTELY belongs on there.

Edit: And I forgot Yotsuba. Gah, this is hard!

Messi

And then he got dat exclusive Top Cow deal, which is probably best for him, considering his health and most of his work was already under Top Cow anyway.

Yup, I imagine that works out best for him. His wife also got the same deal so her comic Bloodstein is also going to be published there.

Top manga. Hmm.... in no order

Akira
Yotsuba
Full Metal Alchemist
Kare Kano
Hajime no Ippo
Nausicaa
Gon
GTO
Sanctuary
Ramna 1/2

Honorable mentions
battle angel alita
One punch man
Claymore
Fruits basket
X

Hagi

I thought about putting Ippo but I like the anime better I think, especially the first series. Some things do just go on for too long.

I thought about putting Ippo but I like the anime better I think, especially the first series. Some things do just go on for too long.
It's so dramatic and amazing. I was so pumped I went to watch real boxing. So disappointing. I'll take the love and enthusiasm of the manga than reality

^^ I've read some Lone Wolf but it's 32 fuckin volumes and the Dark Horse books are tiny

Rough
Monster
Domu
Kakukaku Shikajika
Real
Phoenix vol 4
Touch

That's probably the surest list I can do for manga -- I had a few more listed that I deleted because I don't think I could defend those choices seriously the way I could for the ones I have above.

I just want manga to be printed at a non shit size and non shit paper

Is that too much too ask? 3 in 1 Vizbig volumes are great. Love my Vagabond volumes in that edition.

There are some other manga that I want to get into

Whatever else Inoue has done

Urasawa's work specifically Monster

that weird manga Coriolanus posts from time to time with experimental art. I have that one saved up on that manga recommendation thread from a while back

While I've read Akira, I need a physical copy

Biomega

GitS

Vinland Saga

Berserk

Probably OG Gundam

Maybe JoJos Bizarre Adventure

edit: oh yeah Wolfsmund and Prison School

Owzers

so who's getting the Ipad Pro? I think Birdie is waiting outside for it now posting on his totally normal 9.7'' ipad which satisfies all.

Favourite Manga? Would be these at the moment.

Yotsuba is the one I re-read the most.

One Piece
Yotsuba&!
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Saturn Apartments
March Comes in Like a Lion
Silver Spoon
Lone Wolf & Cub
Nausicaa of the Valley Of The Wind
Kyou Kara Ore Wa
Natsume Yuujinchou

I just want manga to be printed at a non shit size and non shit paper
Check out Nijigahara Holograph dude. The English release is the nicest manga volume I own and it's only a single book. Paper's nice and the binding is good.

My top five:
Prison School
One Piece
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run
Goodnight Punpun
Medaka Box probably

so who's getting the Ipad Pro? I think Birdie is waiting outside for it now posting on his totally normal 9.7'' ipad which satisfies all.

I do want to get a tablet for comic reading but the iPad Pro's outside of my range. Might get a mini or something though.

Hagi

Gundam The Origin is legit the best manga volumes I own. Vertical went to town with that shit and it's priced accordingly. Viz are doing great with JoJo but that's really just a straight copy of the Japanese books without the slip cases.

I'd love love love something like an Absolute edition of Akira.

It's so dramatic and amazing. I was so pumped I went to watch real boxing. So disappointing. I'll take the love and enthusiasm of the manga than reality

the majority of the cast should be dead at this point with the amount of damage they've took from superhuman fights. I do love Ippo, I marathoned like 300 chapters over a weekend once and it was great fun.

Gundam The Origin is legit the best manga volumes I own. Vertical went to town with that shit and it's priced accordingly. Viz are doing great with JoJo but that's really just a straight copy of the Japanese books without the slip cases.

I love love love something like an Absolute edition of Akira.
Bought the first volume but haven't read it yet. Love OG gundam though.

Hagi

Bought the first volume but haven't read it yet. Love OG gundam though.

I always considered the movie trilogy the perfect way to experience 0079 but apparently Origin is heads above it. Can't wait to get volumes 11 and 12 in October so I can finally dive in.

I always considered the movie trilogy the perfect way to experience 0079 but apparently Origin is heads above it. Can't wait to get volumes 11 and 12 in October so I can finally dive in.
Wow high praise. I too thought the movie trilogy was amazing. Epic sci fi greatness. Except for those silly kids

Hagi

Wow high praise. I too thought the movie trilogy was amazing. Epic sci fi greatness. Except for those silly kids

There's a whole lot of fleshing out and original content in it that apparently sets it apart from the movies and series. Hell I'd buy for the gorgeous Yoshikazu Yasuhiko art alone. The anime focuses solely on the Chars childhood sections but I'm waiting to finish all twelve books before I watch episode 1, I'll have 2 by then as well hopefully.

I picked up volume 1 of Wolfsmund a while ago because of some of you reading it in here. Still in my backlog.

I just bought volume 11 today. It's another of the smaller volumes, like volume 2.

Also, OOPS. Volume 12 doesn't drop until December 15th. :O

That's weird my girlfriend said she got an email from Amazon UK saying it would be here this week.

Boogiepop

Yeah, they're another thing waiting in the backlog, but the Gundam Origin volumes by Vertical are really fantastic, at least in terms of build.

Also for things I just got in that are impressive, really like the way the spines on the Vagabond VizBig editions fit together.

Ippo
Hana Yori Dango
HunterxHunter
One Piece
Space Brothers
Konamaiki na Tenshi
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Gakuen Alice
I"s
and whatever I feel at the moment

Hagi

There's nothing quite like Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer.

I was so stoked when I found out it was finally getting an official english release. Need to pick up the next three books when I get the chance before it finished in December.

Why the fuck is B.R.P.D volume 3 so hard to get? people are selling it on the amazon marketplace for £1500 lol

Boogiepop

Ippo
Hana Yori Dango
HunterxHunter
One Piece
Space Brothers
Konamaiki na Tenshi
Full Moon Wo Sagashite
Gakuen Alice
I"s
and whatever I feel at the moment

At the very least, that one has one of my favorite twists ever in a story. Really actually want to reread it when I kill my backlog a little.

Also, comics stuff, right! Been reading through Hellblazer, and though I really enjoy it, glad I opted for a small break by switching to TMNT: Mighty Mutanimals after having read three of those thick Hellblazer volumes. May have to use some other stuff to break it up further as I go through the other three I have to get caught up, as that stuff can wear you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom