• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I would just prefer her to be an all new character over an alternate version of character from a book I'm never going to read. I figure something about ANAD should actually be new.

Ah, I see. I'm kinda surprised you haven't read Avengers given all the Secret Wars books you seem to be reading, but basically
Cpt. Universe is more of a concept than a character. Universe is an entity that chooses it's host, the host being the actual character.

So if that's your concern it won't really make a difference whether I'm right or wrong. Singularity is definitely a new character.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Ah, I see. I'm kinda surprised you haven't read Avengers given all the Secret Wars books you seem to be reading, but basically
Cpt. Universe is more of a concept than a character. Universe is an entity that chooses it's host, the host being the actual character.

So if that's your concern it won't really make a difference whether I'm right or wrong. Singularity is definitely a new character.

Secret Wars was my jumping on (or back in after 10 years) point.

Yeah if your theory turns out to be true it won't be a deal breaker by any means.

Shaanyboi

Banned
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-1000-Sale/page/8136?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

There's a major Batman sale on cmx. What are some lesser known Batman stories that deserve a look? Everyone always suggests the usuals like DKR, Year One, Hush, Long Halloween, etc. But what are some worthy stories that people don't often mention?

There are some older books here that look interesting and I was wondering if they are any good. Stuff like Batman The Cult, Legends of the Dark Knight stories, older Batman series stories, older Detective comics stories, the Kevin Smith books, and more are available on the sale.
Gates of Gotham and Dark Victory are both solid and don't get mentioned enough. The Anarky arc of the N52 Detective Comics series is solid (37-40).

The Cassandra Cain Batgirl stuff is solid (from what I remember), but the current Batgirl reads better in trade format after they made some necessary alterations.

The Jeph Loeb Superman/Batman stuff was pretty fun. Worth checking out (though just buying the trades on Comixology equates to the same price, plus there's an additional story)

Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity is a neat story

Paul Dini's work on Detective Comics was good (which includes Heart of Hush)

Venom is a good Legends of the Dark Knight story.

arkon

Bit late to the favourite manga discussion but my list:

Adachi - if pushed to pick one probably Touch
One Piece
Mushishi
Aria
Nana
Honey & Clover
GTO
School Rumble
Yakitate Japan
Gintama

I'm sure I've forgotten some things, which might replace the above series on the list as it's off the top of my head.

I'm reading 52, on week 35 and I'm LOVING it. I have already made up my mind that I'm going to read Rucka's Batwoman next but I also wanted to check out his Question but can't find anything on it. Is it not collected?

I'm excited to read 52. I picked up the first few volumes after burning through Gotham Central, but then other stuff took priority, as is the way with comics. As a big Renee Montoya fan, I would love to get all the post 52 question stuff, too. As well as the post 52 Batwoman stuff. Scanning Wikipedia entires gave me the impression that those stories are spread all over the place. Minis, crossovers, guest appearances here and there, etc. I did find one post 52 mini collected called The Five Books of Blood. Again, I bought it but have yet to read it. It's written by Rucka and features the (Renee) Question.

Busaiku

Horimiya
You & Me
Yotsuba&!
Prunus Girl
Vinland Saga
A Silent Voice
Wandering Son
Tramps Like Us
Hunter X Hunter
Monthly Girls' Nozaki

List changes frequently, but this is what I'm feeling right now.
Stuff like Azumanga Daioh or Honey & Clover would've made the list if I didn't watch the cartoons instead.

Mindwipe

I'm reading 52, on week 35 and I'm LOVING it. I have already made up my mind that I'm going to read Rucka's Batwoman next but I also wanted to check out his Question but can't find anything on it. Is it not collected?

Yeah, it's legitimately brilliant, and amazing it all came together.

It remains a massive shame DC can't replicate it.

Boogiepop

Okay, so I read a little more Hellblazer last night. The bulk of which ended up being Eddie Campbell's multi-parter and... holy crap, that honestly just kind of sucked. Like, in theory the pieces were there. As in, I could follow what was going on at the immediate moment. But as a whole, it didn't come together and flow right at all. Just felt like a random mess that just plain wasn't properly constructed. I guess the one thing you could maybe give it is
that the story was in theory kind of maybe about reality coming apart so you could call the poor structure a meta style application of that
... but it still sucked to read.

I looked up what else he's done, and... this makes me much more hesitant to pick up Bacchus despite positive talk about it in here...

I need this now!

hg20cN0.jpg

I'm excited to read 52. I picked up the first few volumes after burning through Gotham Central, but then other stuff took priority, as is the way with comics. As a big Renee Montoya fan, I would love to get all the post 52 question stuff, too. As well as the post 52 Batwoman stuff. Scanning Wikipedia entires gave me the impression that those stories are spread all over the place. Minis, crossovers, guest appearances here and there, etc. I did find one post 52 mini collected called The Five Books of Blood. Again, I bought it but have yet to read it. It's written by Rucka and features the (Renee) Question.

Welcome back! I found out there is a out of print TPB that is on Amazon called The Question: Pipeline that is most of Ruckas Question stuff. The stories in this were backups in Ruckas Detective Comics run.

I don't see what the problem is. BC writes some click-baity stuff but this one seems harmless. It's more just Rich trying a little too hard writing an article about diversity like "YO DAWG, WE GOT DIVERSITY HOMIE. WE MADE IT FAM."

Owzers

Howard The Duck is now a regular $5 book with Gwenpool strips tucked in the back.

How did i miss this? I don't think i'm about this life. Yeah, #1 was solicited at $3.99 and now it's $4.99 along with #2. Forget comics i'm reading Valiants. Those are similar to comics.

I think the truth is that voting with your wallet doesn't and will never work.

So I guess maybe just stop reading comics? I only ask because I'm starting to not see the point of all the complaining about it.

Just switch to Destiny the value is insane. I haven't read a comic book in like two weeks.

Not kidding: I'm looking to fill out my Previews order today to turn in tomorrow, and for Marvel I've got Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel and I'm looking at the rest of these books and between the content and the pricing I'm getting similar feelings to 2011 when DC solicited the New 52.

EDIT:

I think the truth is that voting with your wallet doesn't and will never work.

So I guess maybe just stop reading comics? I only ask because I'm starting to not see the point of all the complaining about it.

Just switch to Destiny the value is insane. I haven't read a comic book in like two weeks.
GAMES! |OT| October 2015. And sometimes comics, when we get bored or our thumbs start to hurt.

Watch me.

Messi

Not kidding: I'm looking to fill out my Previews order today to turn in tomorrow, and for Marvel I've got Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel and I'm looking at the rest of these books and between the content and the pricing I'm getting similar feelings to 2011 when DC solicited the New 52.

You are OK with the Ms Marvel price hike too?

Owzers

If I get below 10 monthlies from dcbs i don't know if it's worth ordering flops anymore. I'm at 10 now. Someone announce a book i want please.

EDIT:

GAMES! |OT| October 2015. And sometimes comics, when we get bored or our thumbs start to hurt.

Watch me.

lmao
i can dig it

You are OK with the Ms Marvel price hike too?
I'm okay with Ms. Marvel going to $3.99 if it means that I'm getting a digital code for tablet reading (or reselling, as others exercise that option). I wouldn't be okay with Ms. Marvel going to $4.99 with a backup I care nothing about as is the case with Howard -- or even worse, staying at $4.99 without a backup or anything else to justify such a ridiculous increase over an already inflated cost.

Messi

I'm okay with Ms. Marvel going to $3.99 if it means that I'm getting a digital code for tablet reading (or reselling, as others exercise that option). I wouldn't be okay with Ms. Marvel going to $4.99 with a backup I care nothing about as is the case with Howard -- or even worse, staying at $4.99 without a backup or anything else to justify such a ridiculous increase over an already inflated cost.

Do you think 4.99 for everything is where we are headed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom