• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy has a background as a pretty great writer and will hopefully give T'challa an appropriate voice. But yeah, there is a lot of wankery right now for someone unproven in the comic industry, but I have faith it'll be legit.

Cool.. well just like many times before I will at least check out #1 on behalf of the GafFam...

Zombine

Banned
Cool.. well just like many times before I will at least check out #1 on behalf of the GafFam...

I look forward to the reactions when the book is indistinguishable from the rest of Marvel's output.

giphy.gif

Guy has a background as a pretty great writer and will hopefully give T'challa an appropriate voice. But yeah, there is a lot of wankery right now for someone unproven in the comic industry, but I have faith it'll be legit.

Lmao at the idea that you have to proven in the comics industry.

frank tieri is friggin proven in the comics industry.

If being excited for one of the most gifted writers of our generation writing comics is "wankery" then this industry truly deserves the withering, dying audience it's barely holding on to.

Anyway, Grayson was astonishing this week. I only wish Tom King was more proven as a writer in the industry so I could like it lollllllll

Also unproven: Gerard Way, creator of the umbrella academy, the best original series concept and execution since vimanarama

So.

Yeah.

Also unproven person of letters, Jonathan Lethem, who drop kicked omega the unknown into comics' first legitimate work of contemporary literature.

I could go on.

CM Punk

Brad Meltzer

lmao putting those guys in the same sentence as this guy

i honestly can't

have those guys spoken to the president of the united states about social policy?

i mean, are we serious here?

there is NO barrier for entry to write comics. you have to be able to tell a story.

non-fiction is still storytelling. kind of stunned i'd have to point that out.

Zombine

Banned
have those guys spoken to the president of the united states about social policy?

Brad Meltzer uncovered the secrets of the illuminati.

i mean, are we serious here?

Yeah dude I'm totally serious. Please continue explaining to me how to get into comics. Next you'll tell me that all you need is a good pitch and they'll consider you for the job.

non-fiction is still storytelling. kind of stunned i'd have to point that out.

I think had you not pointed this out I would have had no idea. Are video games art? I need a definitive answer to that as well.

Brad Meltzer uncovered the secrets of the illuminati.

Yeah dude I'm totally serious. Please continue explaining to me how to get into comics. Next you'll tell me that all you need is a good pitch and they'll consider you for the job.

we're not talking about getting into comics
we're talking about the artistic capabilities required to write a good comic

could not be two more different things

i'd say if you've established yourself as a talented writer with a singular point of view (not up for debate in this instance), the only requirement I'd say there is is that you actually love comics (also not up for debate in this instance)

so....

Mindwipe

Also unproven: Gerard Way, creator of the umbrella academy, the best original series concept and execution since vimanarama

So.

Yeah.

Also unproven person of letters, Jonathan Lethem, who drop kicked omega the unknown into comics' first legitimate work of contemporary literature.

I could go on.

Yeah, I love how even the forewords and interviews to Umbrella Academy acknowledge that pretty much everyone was surprised that book was as awesome as it was.

Lmao at the idea that you have to proven in the comics industry.

frank tieri is friggin proven in the comics industry.

If being excited for one of the most gifted writers of our generation writing comics is "wankery" then this industry truly deserves the withering, dying audience it's barely holding on to.

Anyway, Grayson was astonishing this week. I only wish Tom King was more proven as a writer in the industry so I could like it lollllllll

Tom Kind is probably my top "whoa, where the hell did this guy come from" author. Like... prior to Grayson, his writing credits include:

• Cowriting some issues of Teen Titans
  • Nothing

And now he's putting out two of the absolute best comics in DC's lineup.

How long a writer has been in the industry doesn't really seem to matter. Hell, how long they've been writing period doesn't seem to matter XD

Most comic writers start out as huge nerds with the right connections.

I can't think of any journalists or non fiction writer that made the jump to comics but David Simon did make the transition from crime beat reporter to The Wire so...

Vyer

I think it's a little unkind to comics to assume a good writer in another format would automatically be good at writing comics. Or at the very least that there would be some adjustment. Different forms of the medium are demanding in different ways.

That said, I'm looking forward to black panther!

Books today:
Batgirl
Harley Quinn and Power Girl
Grayson
Nameless
Probably the first issue of Island too

May or may not get that Hellboy thing that came out today. I'll see how I feel after work.

Squire

Banned
I think it's a little unkind to comics to assume a good writer in another format would automatically be good at writing comics. Or at the very least that there would be some adjustment. Different forms of the medium are demanding in different ways.

That said, I'm looking forward to black panther!

The thing is, that's not what's being said. Coates is a good writer and very specifically a Marvel fanatic, so it makes sense he got a gig writing that material.

That's notably different from saying a published reporter can easily transition to comics. You have to consider the specifics of the situation.

Edit: I bought Vol. 2 of Velvet last night, so that's my "new" stuff this week. Glad that book is starting up again next month.

Messi

Guys, guys, I have the fixed contract :D Man, so good, never to worry about unemployement ever again.

Congratulations. Hope I get a call back soon from my interviews. Unemployment benefits haven't kicked in yet so I have to be real careful with my money.

Mindwipe

I folded and bought TTK.

Is it still an 18GB download even if you've patched the original game to 2.0?

Probably not getting play it until Friday if that's the case...

I folded and bought TTK.

Is it still an 18GB download even if you've patched the original game to 2.0?

Probably not getting play it until Friday if that's the case...
Play now. Get them coins before Xur arrives. Otherwise you'll be the sad broke gaurdian who can't buy a single exotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom