• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Comic you're most excited to read every month, go!:

Midnighter yo.

xjIySWG.jpg

Hagi

I'd wait for the first trade, honestly. No murmurs of cancellation yet, but it's still experiencing growing pains. At least, I hope they're growing pains. It's been getting better, but veeeery sloooowly.

EDIT: Okay, this current issue is pretty good.

But I'd still wait on the first trade.

Too late already read the first issue and have the other three waiting. I enjoyed the first, I'm not really reading anything magical and the art is interesting. I have no real interaction with Doctor Fate outside of the episodes of JLU he appears. Is this the first time the character has appeared in the new 52?

Midnighter yo.

Reminds me I need to pick upeverything after issue 1.

Grayson #12 was as good as advertised. I've always been a sucker for Batfamily acting like a family, and this delivered in spades. The code, the banter... everything. Fantasique.

It's a shame that this book kinda has a time limit on it, though. Eventually, Dick's going to fully dismantle Spyral, at which point... there's not really a series anymore, unless King goes for a fairly dramatic change in premise. Which I wouldn't be opposed to, now that I stop and think about it.

Too late already read the first issue and have the other three waiting. I enjoyed the first, I'm not really reading anything magical and the art is interesting. I have no real interaction with Doctor Fate outside of the episodes of JLU he appears. Is this the first time the character has appeared in the new 52?

First new 52 appearance, yeah.

Now that I stop and think about it, you probably won't have one of my key issues with the title to contend with, so you'll probably enjoy it more than me.

Messi

I buy trades, so it's not really monthly... but Saga is my favorite ongoing series. I keep buying singles for Deadly Class, but I'm not sure why. I like it, but I don't love it.

I absolutely love Deadly Class and how shitty and inconsiderate they all are.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What was the comic with the dinosaur (dragon?) giving head to himself again?

There's a question I never thought I'd ask btw

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Another reason why I should read Saga I guess

Rhaknar

Not at all. It was great. I didn't really get into it until 20-30 minutes in, but that show had me dying.

I didn't see any promos so I just assumed it was another horror show, like AHS. As the ep went on, like you say 20-30mins in, I start to realise "wait...this isn't self serious at all, this is full blown dark comedy" and loved it by the end. The face to face texting between
Arianna
and the
Devil
was amazing

2 11x17 pages

His family fund I'd assume

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I like me some Skottie art, but someone may be overestimating the value of their work. This is Marvel's fault.

Yeah, Comic art is shooting up in price because the pieces that are available are becoming very limited since a lot of folks are penciling/inking digitally.

What's out there is slowly going to dwindle because of this.

The recycling bins of tomorrow weep.

Yeah, Comic art is shooting up in price because the pieces that are available are becoming very limited since a lot of folks are penciling/inking digitally.

What's out there is slowly going to dwindle because of this.

Was not aware of this. That's pretty interesting, yet utter suckage for fans.

MG310

Stegman seemed pretty down on going digital on Twitter. High initial costs plus the ease of undoing something leads to endless noodling.

Isak_Borg

Was not aware of this. That's pretty interesting, yet utter suckage for fans.

It's not going to happen across the board overnight but it's changing the original art market. As someone who gets weekly e-mails about prices and what is available it's been noticeable.

Stegman seemed pretty down on going digital on Twitter. High initial costs plus the ease of undoing something leads to endless noodling.

Yeah, as i said not going to change overnight and the tech isn't just there yet but I see that changing soon.

Messi

Can someone do me a solid. I need to know what issue the first omnibus of Strangers in Paradise ends on. I've been trying to figure it out for ages but I can't find it out.

This month's We Are Robin is brought to you by: the ghost of Andy Warhol! Let's give him a big hand, everybody!

But seriously, look at this:

Bloody gorgeous. It's a shame the book doesn't look like this all the time. Pure pop. Story is good too. No progress on the
Alfred
front, but a solid diversion. Riko on her own meeting her idol. Pretty good.

And my god, the art. One last pic 'cause it amused me:

rNp8JLo.png

Shaanyboi

Banned
This month's We Are Robin is brought to you by: the ghost of Andy Warhol! Let's give him a big hand, everybody!

Bloody gorgeous. It's a shame the book doesn't look like this all the time. Pure pop. Story is good too. No progress on the
Alfred

rNp8JLo.png

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck....

Anecdote alert:

vast majority of artists I know are digital

You can develop plenty of bad habits traditionally too. Digital just has newish traps

Also, high initial cost is completely offset by cost of traditional meterials over time. Also, you can charge more since you dont need an inker.

Downside: less original art if you get big. But if you get to that point the solution is to print out your digital drawing in blue line and ink over that shit.

Isak_Borg

Anecdote alert:

vast majority of artists I know are digital

You can develop plenty of bad habits traditionally too. Digital just has newish traps

Also, high initial cost is completely offset by cost of traditional meterials over time. Also, you can charge more since you dont need an inker.

Downside: less original art if you get big. But if you get to that point the solution is to print out your digital drawing in blue line and ink over that shit.

Which devalues it for me since the whole appeal of it is the original art that was penciled/inked.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes moving forward.

Messi

Alfred

rNp8JLo.png

Holy shiet that is beautiful.

Stegman said he didn't get that much faster that he could do more pages in less time digitally to offset the loss of income from the original art.

Man, I really wish there was a way to set a different default zoom on the Comixology web app; the default is just a liiiiitle too small for me, and setting it to "page width" is just excessive.

Isak_Borg

Man, I really wish there was a way to set a different default zoom on the Comixology web app; the default is just a liiiiitle too small for me, and setting it to "page width" is just excessive.

Website is such a clusterfuck at times but there really is no way to standardize the format for monitors across the board.

Before I left a lot of folks were asking about a console based App which might have the same problem but would still be awesome.

Which devalues it for me since the whole appeal of it is the original art that was penciled/inked.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes moving forward.

Cant speak for what you value, but the artist is still inking and making plenty of artistic decisions at that time past the digital process. Not only that but most pages are also cleaned up digitally by the inker or penciler.

Some inkers don't receive original pages. They get scans they print out. So sometimes you have a pencil version and an ink version.

Isak_Borg

Cant speak for what you value, but the artist is still inking and making plenty of artistic decisions at that time past the digital process. Not only that but most pages are also cleaned up digitally by the inker or penciler.

Some inkers don't receive original pages. They get scans they print out. So sometimes you have a pencil version and an ink version.

You are totally right.

Just would suck if an artist keeps printing out the pencils, inking and selling multiple copies. I like the uniqueness of something being the original art.

You are totally right.

Just would suck if an artist keeps printing out the pencils, inking and selling multiple copies. I like the uniqueness of something being the original art.

Well if it makes you feel better, an artist would have be a total ass to make multiple copies and claim they are all original pieces and I dont think anyone would try to play that. Part of good traditional inking is the bits that cant get replicated like brush stroke textures.

I have seen artists sell proofs of their digital pages kind of like posters. It's pretty clear theyre sold as copies so its not misleading.

MG310

You are totally right.

Looking into some of those Butch Guice/Brian Thies Winter Soldier pages was fun. Both the pencils and inks exist since the inks were done over blueline prints of the pencils.

Then both artists use separate dealers so the original inked/pencilled pages aren't found together.

I have seen artists sell proofs of their digital pages kind of like posters. It's pretty clear theyre sold as copies so its not misleading.

I've seen some of the Chad Hardin Harley pages offered that way.

Martian Manhunter continues to be an absolute tour de force. Horror, action, and, yes, a little comedy are all expertly balanced. It's an incredible thing. Dialogue is fantastic. Plot is progressing nicely too. We see how Pearl ties into things a little. I'm curious to see how the various "fragments" of J'onn are assigned. Is
Mr. Biscuits
really his subconcious, or is he just the bit that really, really likes
cookies
? You decide.

Also, bonus points for using my fav. Arthur C. Clarke quote at the end:

88lt9gP.png

Wonderful book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom