• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogiepop

I wanted to like Edge of Tomorrow, and I didn't hate it or anything, and I tried to go in with an open mind since people were like "it's okay, it's its own thing kind of" and to some degree I can see that... but the Hollywood-ification of the book was distracting/frustrating for me. I dunno, I'm not usually the best with that, though. Still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies post Goblet of Fire because the changes and cuts were bugging me.

Owzers

I wanted to like Edge of Tomorrow, and I didn't hate it or anything, and I tried to go in with an open mind since people were like "it's okay, it's its own thing kind of" and to some degree I can see that... but the Hollywood-ification of the book was distracting/frustrating for me. I dunno, I'm not usually the best with that, though. Still haven't seen any of the Harry Potter movies post Goblet of Fire because the changes and cuts were bugging me.

your first problem was reading things.

I really haven't been interested in that much from the big two lately and have kind of fallen behind.

Can't wait for all new marvel II!

ANAD looks really interesting, and I'm certainly going to be checking out a few books. But I'm also using this as an opportunity to cut back. There are just too many $3.99 / $4.99 books now, and I want to limit myself on monthlies and trade-wait everything else.

I'm really looking forward to the new Blade book, too. Whenever that happens.

VanWinkle

Don't worry. We will get you eventually. You are too new so you don't feel the need to be current yet :)

Wait until we are all talking about the hot new issue of Batman and you are like I'll read that in 8 months minimum. Man DC is crap at trades.

You are right in that I'm not yet up to date with the stuff I read. BUT, there are so many trades out there for me to read while I wait. It's crazy! There's hundreds of trades out there that I want to read and haven't yet.

And, honestly, I just don't know if I could bring myself to pay $4 for a little 20-30 page comic with ads!

Owzers

Marvel Zombies Secret Wars #3: I should have trusted my instincts and waited for MU on this series and Old Man Logan. A mildly enjoyable definitely skipable book.

VanWinkle

Finally bought my first omnibus. One of the cheapest, too, lol. But I really have wanted to read it badly:

pickups923.png

You'll also see I got Superman Birthright. Have heard amazing things.

Owzers

I removed Astonishing Ant-Man #2 from my dcbs order....it gets one issue to prove it's worth getting monthly over MU, i really didn't care for the first five issues, the whole story with his ex-wife/cassie felt like a pre-secret wars wrap-up.

I have to make room for that new Black Panther book anyway, did you know that author has written about social issues before? Can't miss.

Finally bought my first omnibus. One of the cheapest, too, lol. But I really have wanted to read it badly:

pickups923.png

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuucking Planetary. One of the best.

I removed Astonishing Ant-Man #2 from my dcbs order....it gets one issue to prove it's worth getting monthly over MU, i really didn't care for the first five issues, the whole story with his ex-wife/cassie felt like a pre-secret wars wrap-up.

I have to make room for that new Black Panther book anyway, did you know that author has written about social issues before? Can't miss.

you've become one of my favorite people in this community

sorry Zombine

I really need to check out Archie if cmx ever has a digital sale.

I did watch the first episode of the new Gotham season, my opinion is the same as when i ditched the first season, I like the villains and dislike Gordon/baby bruce and selina.
Bruce gets better. Gordon is one of my favorite characters in the show. Fuck Selina. Absolutely terrible.

Show is bonkers though.
......they never gave osborn the cornrow look in the movies.
They don't want to spend the money on the CG required to craft that hair.
Midnighter yo.
Hell yeah.
I don't know what use saving it would be. If she is Captain Marvel then good for her and I hope she does a good job.

My heart has already been broken by marvel casting and I don't care anymore.
I've felt Marvel has done a rather good job of casting, honestly.
I've never seen Iron Man 2. Other than the first introduction of Black Widow I feel like I didn't miss anything from what I heard.

I went back to it recently, and after AoS and all the MCU movies at that point, there's actually quite a good bit of overarching MCU plot threads that originate in that movie.

Tizoc

Batgirl 43

Fight scene with Babs and the tiger was good fun. Excited to read 44 tomorrow to see what happens next. I'm really enjoying this book so far.

You know what I love about the Big Two? I know a lot of shade gets thrown their way, and for good reason, but what I love is the fact that even though these properties have been around for decades, writers can still find new and interesting characterizations, lore, mythology, and story arcs to do with a lot of these characters. Even if some of it is gimmicky and/or one-off, I still love the fact that it happens.

Should I get the issues on sale right now?
I think it's worth a shot for how cheap it is, especially since they have the entire first arc on sale. I know there were complaints about the villain in issue #37 being transphobic (or something to that effect, I missed the controversy) but it was fixed on Comixology. Overall though it's a solid run so far. Art is really good and it's consistently fun IMO.

I do see that Grayson is also on sale and I would definitely recommend that. I think you would dig it since you seem to enjoy spy stuff.
You know what I love about the Big Two? I know a lot of shade gets thrown their way, and for good reason, but what I love is the fact that even though these properties have been around for decades, writers can still find new and interesting characterizations, lore, mythology, and story arcs to do with a lot of these characters. Even if some of it is gimmicky and/or one-off, I still love the fact that it happens.

I give them lots of shit, but I do enjoy both Marvel and DC quite a bit. I love the characters and worlds too much to hate them.

Finished reading 100% and I totally loved it. Thanks for recommending it frye.

I think what really made me like it so much was Pope's letter in the back. I think it's really creative to think of romance as real life's sort of good vs. evil for the average person. Really changed my outlook on the characters and made me appreciate it even more. He captured a lot of the emotions that occur through romance, both good and bad, and it was just great. Plus, it's Pope so the art was amazing of course. Awesome book.

Onto Heavy Liquid within the next few days.

I give them lots of shit, but I do enjoy both Marvel and DC quite a bit. I love the characters and worlds too much to hate them.

I know a lot of people find that kind of thing to be intimidating about comics, but I absolutely love how there's so much to choose from. A new comic fan can read nothing but older stuff and never get bored. Never have to even touch a single new book.

You think Geoff Johns knows what Tom Taylor did on that book?

I mean I guess Geoff is giving the least fucks about continuity right now in Justice League, but not even a casual mention of something like, "Welcome back from the Resurrection Pits, Steppenwolf, don't fail agaaaaain." to handwave it away, lol.

Supergirl lives on in JL3K1, bro. She took a sidetrip to the future again.

tim1138

pickups923.png

You have chosen wisely. Planetary is one of the greatest comics of all time.

GrandHarrier said:
I mean I guess Geoff is giving the least fucks about continuity right now in Justice League, but not even a casual mention of something like, "Welcome back from the Resurrection Pits, Steppenwolf, don't fail agaaaaain." to handwave it away, lol.

I'm gonna amend Rafa's statement. You think Johns, editorial, or anyone at DC actually even cares what Tom Taylor did on that book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom