• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

So wait

Why is Banner not Hulk? Or is he Hulk and they're just not writing about him anymore because it's a been there done that? Why is Amadeus Cho Hulk? That last one's a stupid question because it'll probably be answered in the book.

Basically why is there a new Hulk?

The answer to all of the above is comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
What happened with Messi? Just hasn't posted in a while? I saw that he said he lost his job, but don't know if anything else happened beyond that.

What happened with Messi? Just hasn't posted in a while? I saw that he said he lost his job, but don't know if anything else happened beyond that.

Trying to convince Marvel not to make Silk a villain by curling up in the lobby, rocking back and forth and saying "Silk is a good girl" over and over to himself.

Owzers

weak dcbs order as usual, not feeling a lot of books, not sure if i want to buy some image stuff monthly or in trades.

specials:
Ultimates #1
Wolf vol 1 tp

rest:
Invincible Nameless 6 of 6, Paper Girls, Saga, Walking Bread.
Astonishing Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Howard the Duck #1, Karnak #2.

didn't make it but maybe:

Switch #2, if i like the first and messi hasn't left us
Huck, The Goddamned, Unfollow, Citizen Jack, James Bond, Klaus, Ringside, Black Science #17 depending on if i start to wait for OHCs or continue monthly, and just a ton of Marvel books like ANAD Avengers #1 and 2, Deadpool #1 and 2, Illuminati #1, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Venom Space Knight 1, Vision 1.

Iffy times we live in, if only Messi were here.

No it's not.

I literally have no idea what's been going on with Hulk in the past years.

An initially promissing Waid arc that focussed on Hulk Smash, Banner Build + rivalry with stark and the other great intellects that proceeded to get considerably worse as it advanced, reorienting to prioritize the Hulk bits, which then got picked up by Duggan, who shat on the character and everything around it with Doc Green and further developments.

Like, it was so grotesquely bad that i'll always be wary of stuff Duggan writes, even though he has obviously put some very solid stuff with other characters out there.

Duggan left the character with Doc Green phasing out of existence and Banner sexing it up with Betty Ross, who he dehulked (along with her pa, rick jones, and nearly ever other hulk he managed to get close to). This is a post i did while going through the last ishs of duggan's run. It's pretty accurate. The "filled with" lines aren't paraphrased. They're exactly like that in the book.

frye

So wait

Why is Banner not Hulk? Or is he Hulk and they're just not writing about him anymore because it's a been there done that? Why is Amadeus Cho Hulk? That last one's a stupid question because it'll probably be answered in the book.

Basically why is there a new Hulk?

Qop2e2j.gif

An initially promissing Waid arc that focussed on Hulk Smash, Banner Build + rivalry with stark and the other great intellects that proceeded to get considerably worse as it advanced, reorienting to prioritize the Hulk bits, which then got picked up by Duggan, who shat on the character and everything around it with Doc Green and further developments.

Like, it was so grotesquely bad that i'll always be wary of stuff Duggan writes, even though he has obviously put some very solid stuff with other characters out there.

Duggan left the character with Doc Green phasing out of existence and Banner sexing it up with Betty Ross, who he dehulked (along with her pa, rick jones, and nearly ever other hulk he managed to get close to). This is a post i did while going through the last ishs of duggan's run. It's pretty accurate. The "filled with" lines aren't paraphrased. They're exactly like that in the book.
Well shit.

Last Hulk story I read was the tie-in with Inhumanity. It was alright, considering it took up a good chunk of that book.

I've basically realized that I have no interest in Hulk as a character at this point in my life.

Sadist

Wait Gregg Pak is going to write Hulk again? I'll read it.

Guess Banner Hulk will still be Doc Green. So he can face off with Chulk. Battle of the strongest minds fo real.

Tizoc

Batman #44 preview (CBR)

Now, some of you are probably going to look at that and go "OMG YES JOCK ART JOCK AND SNYDER TOGETHER AGAIN CAN'T WAIT!!!111one!!" and that's fine.

Me, I look at that and I see a problem that reinforces something I said earlier was in my opinion part of the problem with modern Batman:
Batman is calling Gordon out to a crime scene to investigate a dead body. BATMAN is calling GORDON out to a crime scene. Not the other way around like it should be, like Batman is the special investigator who only gets called upon when the Gotham PD are in over their heads or stumped and can't see the connections and so they shine that symbol in the sky. No, Batman is calling Gordon out like some patrolman who came upon this body on his route, and is calling his boss in to oversee, only Gordon's not his boss so it's more like a courtesy call? I mean, it's not like Gordon is contributing anything worthwhile; in fact it's safe to assume from dialogue that Batman was on top of this dead body investigation already, and he's only calling Gordon as a courtesy. He's letting the police in on HIS investigation. The police can't handle a dead body in the middle of a nowhere part of Gotham without him. And that's all backwards.

In my opinion, of course. Okay, rant over.

I'm trying to put my finger on the issue so I can agree with you, but honestly all I can do is agree with you :3

All-New_Wolverine_3_Raney_Marvel_92_Variant.jpg

90s Variant Covers for Marvel this December and yes...Liefeld is doing some ofthem.

Awesomeness!

Francis Manapul Announced his first creator owned project:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/francis-manapul-announces-his-first-creator-owned-comic

Not too many details yet, he wants to collaborate with another artist.

AAAWWWEEESSOOMMEEENNNEESSSS !!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for yelling :/
Cool short video as well

Tell me someone is making a thread in the OT for the 90s Marvel variants. Too good.

I'm trying to put my finger on the issue so I can agree with you, but honestly all I can do is agree with you :3
"Special investigator, not a beat cop on patrol" kind of sums it up. The scene doesn't work to me; it just seems like Batman called Gordon to say, "hey, come check out this dead body I found. I don't need your help with it or anything, I just wanted you to come see it. It's weird right?"

Mudcrab

Tell me someone is making a thread in the OT for the 90s Marvel variants. Too good.

"Special investigator, not a beat cop on patrol" kind of sums it up. The scene doesn't work to me; it just seems like Batman called Gordon to say, "hey, come check out this dead body I found. I don't need your help with it or anything, I just wanted you to come see it. It's weird right?"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1107050

Going about as well as your Prez thread.

ReAxion

Stand by Me: Gotham

Yousefb

Just passed through the local comic shop and decided to buy One-Punch Man. Never read a Manga before but there's a lot of positivity surrounding this book online so figured I should take a look!

Boogiepop

Sooo... thought I was going to finish up Invincible Iron Man last night... but then it turns out it's one of those stupid situations where the 2 Omnibuses they put out should've had a third, and then it just never came out. Guess I'll have to pick up the rest in trades at some point, lame...

Also, I was kind of annoyed by the
"let's trick people into controlling our drones with a mobile game" thing. Like, I realize I should be able to suspend disbelief with all the other crazy, questionable stuff going on. But I mean first you need to assume that their games have reached the level of perfect realism for that to not raise eyebrows (which is to be fair totally possible with all the crazy tech around in universe. Though in thinking on it, I'm willing to bet the level of videogame tech available in universe is probably wildly inconsistent and I doubt editorial is thinking carefully and keeping an eye on how videogames are written.) But yeah, even then, the idea that nobody would link the game and the attacks and it wouldn't be figured out like immediately is just really ridiculous. Then again, I'm sure there's plenty of examples of the general public in the Marvel universe being none to clever as well, I guess. I don't know, it's a dumb thing, but it did totally bug me.

Sandfox

So C3PO is getting a one-shot.

Just passed through the local comic shop and decided to buy One-Punch Man. Never read a Manga before but there's a lot of positivity surrounding this book online so figured I should take a look!

One-Punch Man is really good.

Cheebo

Banned
1) Jesus fuck huge pic

2) They're really milking Star Wars, now. C-3PO? He's a great supporting character, but not interesting enough to base a comic on.
Star Wars comics have dominated comic sales all year, no reason for Marvel to stop now. It's just a one shot as well.

Squire

Banned
Star Wars comics have dominated comic sales all year, no reason for Marvel to stop now. It's just a one shot as well.

They ain't crazy.

I don't think there's two many SW books. Not ready any yet, but it sounds like they're all solid with good talent working on them. That really doesn't need to be the case at all. I'm still not thrilled with mostly throwing the EU under the bus with more blatantly mining some of the genuinely great stuff it had from it, but this new EU has some solid builders laying the groundwork.

There are better writers on the comics than the movies. Dead serious.

Cheebo

Banned
They ain't crazy.

I don't think there's two many SW books. Not ready any yet, but it sounds like they're all solid with good talent working on them. That really doesn't need to be the case at all. I'm still not thrilled with mostly throwing the EU under the bus with more blatantly mining some of the genuinely great stuff it had from it, but this new EU has some solid builders laying the groundwork.

There are better writers on the comics than the movies. Dead serious.
Eh...that is going a bit far. Let's not kid ourselves Lawrence Kasdan and Rian Johnson run circles around every writer over at Marvel. The comics have really damn good talent behind them though.

Owzers

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night is fantastic. There ks even a comic in the Mediabook.

i started it and turned it off because it had subtitles, same reason i only flip through comics and don't read the bubbles full of letters. How am i supposed to post on comics-gaf and read subtitles a the same time? Do you have any idea how this will effect my post count?

Messi

Real talk, I'm seriously a bit worried about Messi. :x

Thank you for being concerned about me. I am good, I just had a bad day or two and was in a bit of a depression hole. Getting better slowly. I would never do something drastic or harmful to myself in situations like this. But again, thank you for the concern. Its nice to think some of you cared enough to notice I wasnt here.

Fuck yeah tonsilitis.

Also reading The Black Mirror. 80 pages in, still hasn't clicked. Sure could use some Damian.

Oh yeah, i can neither confirm nor deny that ever since i've started reading Kongou Banchou my phallus grew 10 inches (sitting at an ok 20in) and my chest became a hairy jungle.

Been reading it lately, it's damn good. Murata does great work on the art front, and the story is solid as well.

Thor #369 - #374: Things are slowing down a bit from the earlier hell-for-leather pace. And I am enjoying that change. The issue with Thor as Sigurd was great. The introduction of the x-men and other more regular cape villains is an interesting change, though the focus is still on Thor's own journey.

I love the titles of the issues. It is funny to see such puns in classical font headlining these stories.

"Though Hel Should Bar the Way!"
"Ragnarok & Roll!"
"Like a Bat Out of Hel!"
"Thor Croaks!"
"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, or, It's Not Easy Being Green"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom