• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's Understanding. Beautiful. Eternal. Caring. And of the top of my head, (mind you, been some 15 years since i've last read sandman), has no flaw whatsoever.

If i remember her correctly, how could she be anything but?

Heck, compare her to dream, who's a walking pile of insecurity, or desire and delirium, and the contrast is quite stark.
Ah, i see that you haven't read sandman. It's still one of the best books to ever grace the industry. Also, researching a bit, seems that Gaiman introduced some flaws to her character on her mini.

Honestly, thematically it's interesting that the one Endless without any real problems is Death, who personifies basically the most vilified aspect of any of them.

Honestly, thematically it's interesting that the one Endless without any real problems is Death, who personifies basically the most vilified aspect of any of them.

Yes, but the cost she pays for that is having to be the one that ends her brothers.

Plus i don't remember Destiny having any flaw either, beyond being an enigmatic prick.

Owzers

Looking to get back into Marvel again. Where do I start? What's going on with Spiderman, x men, etc.?

You could get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and read the latest stories or you can hop in to the relaunch of every series starting in October-ish that takes place after Secret Wars.

Looking to get back into Marvel again. Where do I start? What's going on with Spiderman, x men, etc.?

All is Secret Wars. Secret Wars is all.

Best place to start is to get a Marvel Unlimited subscription and google search "character X best stories", then track them down on MU and have fun.

Justice League - Trinity War : -_- I now have two data points and I can make my line in the sand decision about Johns.

• Why is Diana a caricature of a bad cop from a shitty tv series?
  • Why is the new Green Lantern a jobber? Why is everyone making fun of him? I don't even recall anyone using his name. And Batman actually punches him and says "You are no Hal Jordan."
  • So this isn't even an event but just a lead-in into another event?
  • What kind of shitty name is "Crime Syndicate" for a bunch of evil capes from a parallel world?
  • Pandora says who's next and then completely forgets the rest of her 6 sins?
  • What happened to those two panel-filler A.R.G.U.S and S.H.A.D.E agents?

This is how the plotting must have been done.

1) I want a splash page of 3-Justice-Leagues!/Emo-superman!/Everyone-attacking-Constantine!. (Every other superhero will pose in the background.)

2) So where did the previous issue end?

3) I need to fill 20 pages to reach my splash page.

4) Reminder* - Include something with seven colours.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

[*] What kind of shitty name is "Crime Syndicate" for a bunch of evil capes from a parallel world?

I had no idea these guy were or what was going on when I was reading through Suicide Squad Vol 4(Forever Evil tie in).

What a completely out of nowhere shoehorned piece of shit that was.

Captain Britain and MI-13 has the sort of fiendshly strong start that makes you go "who in blazes is Paul Cornell and what the heck else has the man written?"

Yeah, Millar and Hitch. It seems to only stick within the confines of the page. It never does anything interesting with the pages. I go through so many pages where all the panels are the same size.

Maybe I'm just forgetting or something. And the vast majority of what I have is from after the time that Ultimates released, so maybe that's it.
Ultimates def set the tone for action comics that came after it. Just massively influential. Hitch experimented a bit with paneling a little later on in Cap America Reborn but he took a very cinematic approach to most of his work. I can't say that I would think his page designs would be helped by a more experimental approach. He has very functional paneling that keeps his story telling crystal clear. Not all stories or takes are helped by inventive, complicated or outside the grid paneling/page design.

Nudull

Banned
Captain Britain and MI-13 has the sort of fiendshly strong start that makes you go "who in blazes is Paul Cornell and what the heck else has the man written?"

One of his most recent works was DC's Demon Knights, still missed by many. He had a pre-death Wolverine run too, but...eh.

Justice League Dark #24 - #25: The Crime Syndicate already won and Constantine is wallowing in self pity again? Why is The Phantom Stranger randomly back? I guess this is where the Forever Evil: Blight ties in. I don't have the patience or inclination to track that down. Dropped.

All I've been playing MGS 5 and I'm only 9% complete. By the time I finish with this, the Mad Max game will be down to $20. Maybe I shouldn't have bought them both at once. XD

oh, and comics. I will now post this weeks list.

Batman #44
Catwoman #44
Gotham Academy #10
Bitch Planet #5
Deadly Class #16
Walking Dead #146
1602 Witch Hunter Angela #3
Darth Vader #9
Ms. Marvel #18
Star Wars Shattered Empire #1

One of his most recent works was DC's Demon Knights, still missed by many. He had a pre-death Wolverine run too, but...eh.

Good to know. Reading Cap Brit was making me wonder how much of it was a huge fuck you to Bendis, until the ending in ish 4 made it quite clear: all of it.

Justice League - Trinity War : -_- I now have two data points and I can make my line in the sand decision about Johns.

• Why is the new Green Lantern a jobber? Why is everyone making fun of him? I don't even recall anyone using his name. And Batman actually punches him and says "You are no Hal Jordan."
  • What kind of shitty name is "Crime Syndicate" for a bunch of evil capes from a parallel world?

1) I want a splash page of 3-Justice-Leagues!/Emo-superman!/Everyone-attacking-Constantine!. (Every other superhero will pose in the background.)

Yup it's garbage
Justice League Dark #24 - #25: The Crime Syndicate already won and Constantine is wallowing in self pity again? Why is The Phantom Stranger randomly back? I guess this is where the Forever Evil: Blight ties in. I don't have the patience or inclination to track that down. Dropped.
JLD and Constantine intersect with each other during Forever Evil. Honestly JLD drops in quality not only during the tie-in but afterwards. First three trades of JLD are the best. After that....eh. It's a constant cycle of Constantine fucks everything up and pissing everyone off, Zatanna takes control of the team, Swamp Thing tries to leave but then can't, then Zatanna and Constantine get both angry and sad and generally tortured about their relationship.

Check out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction if you haven't already. It's my go-to choice for anyone interested. It's got fun dialogue and excellent artwork, plus it's already finished so you don't have to wait for any more.

List for the week, pretty light on my end:
Gotham Academy
Starfire
Deadly Class

And it's manga but I highly recommend checking out Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano. It's getting a new printing I guess, but it's one of the more interesting manga series that I've read. Takes a good read or two to really get it but it's great stuff. Plus, it's hardcover, got paper that isn't toilet paper, and it has sewn binding!

JLD and Constantine intersect with each other during Forever Evil. Honestly JLD drops in quality not only during the tie-in but afterwards. First three trades of JLD are the best. After that....eh. It's a constant cycle of Constantine fucks everything up and pissing everyone off, Zatanna takes control of the team, Swamp Thing tries to leave but then can't, then Zatanna and Constantine get both angry and sad and generally tortured about their relationship.

Ugh. Looks like I picked a good point to drop it. I read so much New 52 in the last couple of months that I kind of started tolerating the mediocrity. Simonson's Thor was a bit of a recalibration for my standards. I shall go read Hellboy now.

VanWinkle

Thoughts on this?

51n4KEBAUPL.jpg

And it's manga but I highly recommend checking out Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano. It's getting a new printing I guess, but it's one of the more interesting manga series that I've read. Takes a good read or two to really get it but it's great stuff. Plus, it's hardcover, got paper that isn't toilet paper, and it has sewn binding!

It sounds rather dry based on the synopsis. It doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me. I do have an itch to scoop up all of Junji Ito's books, tho.

Hey, Demon Knights actually took only 4 pages to make Etrigan tolerable. That's unexpected. Shame about 1600s Lucy being such a dick.

Cornell sure does seem to have a knack for writing intro issues.

Nudull

Banned
Batman #44
Bitch Planet #5
Gotham Academy #10
Ms. Marvel #18
Starfire #4
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War #3
Star Wars: Shattered Empire #1

List time! Hmm, let's see...

Starfire
Red Hood / Arsenal
Gotham Academy (Which is still not canceled, so there, Freeza)
Catwoman
Batman
Action Comics

Batman #44
Bitch Planet #5
Gotham Academy #10
Ms. Marvel #18
Starfire #4
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War #3
Star Wars: Shattered Empire #1

How is Star Trek / Green Lantern, anyway? It's a fascinating idea, but I'm a little bit wary of picking it up because it's also a terrible one.

Ugh. Looks like I picked a good point to drop it. I read so much New 52 in the last couple of months that I kind of started tolerating the mediocrity. Simonson's Thor was a bit of a recalibration for my standards. I shall go read Hellboy now.
Yeah New 52 was kind of rough at first. It has improved significantly though. DC's current output is pretty great.
It sounds rather dry based on the synopsis. It doesn't seem like something that would appeal to me. I do have an itch to scoop up all of Junji Ito's books, tho.
If you like more psychological horror/suspense stuff it is worth a look for sure. Asano's a wicked good artist too and is great at setting the mood.

Vyer

IIRC, trinity war was several different writers. I don't know what your first 'data point' is, and TW isn't good, but I wouldn't exactly see a reason to use it as one of those points.

Crime Syndicate was used a long time ago, but was most popularly used in the excellent JLA:Earth 2 by Morrison and Quitely.

VanWinkle

There's plenty of great New 52 stuff.

IIRC, trinity war was several different writers. I don't know what your first 'data point' is, and TW isn't good, but I wouldn't exactly see a reason to use it as one of those points.

Crime Syndicate was used a long time ago, but was most popularly used in the excellent JLA:Earth 2 by Morrison and Quitely.

My first data point was his Green Lantern omnibus 1. (From GL Rebirth through to Sinestro Corps War).

There's plenty of great New 52 stuff.

Plenty of good stuff, definitely. I meant the mediocrity of JLD.

Nudull

Banned
How is Star Trek / Green Lantern, anyway? It's a fascinating idea, but I'm a little bit wary of picking it up because it's also a terrible one.

I've only read the first issue, so I need to catch up a bit. Still, it's not horrendously bad, but not the most well-written either.

Yeah New 52 was kind of rough at first. It has improved significantly though. DC's current output is pretty great.

Didn't help that most of the initial titles that were truly unique and refreshing were all sent to the slaughter before any of them could truly find an audience.

Vyer

My first data point was his Green Lantern omnibus 1. (From GL Rebirth through to Sinestro Corps War).

Didn't like it?

I'd think some of his GL, along with, say, his Justice Society work, Superman (the older stuff with his Brainiac, Legion crossover or Secret Origin) and any Flash/Rogues stuff are probably the best entries.

Didn't like it?

I'd think some of his GL, along with, say, his Justice Society work, Superman (the older stuff with his Brainiac, Legion crossover or Secret Origin) and any Flash/Rogues stuff are probably the best entries.

Started off ok. But by the end, I really disliked it. Only finished it because I bought the omnibus. (And because everyone said I should stick with it till the Sinestro Wars arc.)

Tizoc

Crime Syndicate is what theyr were called during the Silver Age IIRC. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how 'silly' a group name is when they're the most feared and dreaded people on a planet.
They could call themselves Betty and people would still run for the nearest bomb shelter if they so much fly over their house :V

Ponn

Banned
Is anyone else specifically getting any Looney Tunes variant covers and which ones? I wasn't making Green Lantern part of my monthly pull but i'm tempted to get that one issue for the marvin the martian cover.

Vyer

Never really had an issue with the Crime Syndicate name. Especially since that Earth 2 story was the first time I had heard it. Morrison created a very effective set of characters there and it seemed to work fine with the alternate earth.

They also kind of creep me out.

Started off ok. But by the end, I really disliked it. Only finished it because I bought the omnibus. (And because everyone said I should stick with it till the Sinestro Wars arc.)

ah, that's too bad. His GL fell off toward the end, but I enjoyed Sinestro Corps War.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Pretty big week for me.

NEW SUICIDE SQUAD #12
STARFIRE #4
DEADLY CLASS #16
WICKED & DIVINE #14
1602 WITCH HUNTER ANGELA #3
A-FORCE #4
CIVIL WAR #4
KORVAC SAGA #4
PLANET HULK #5
RED SKULL #3
SECRET WARS 2099 #5
SIEGE #3

Thoughts on this?

51n4KEBAUPL.jpg

If you didn't like Dick before, you sure as hell will after that. First couple of chapters are much older, so it's mullet Dick with his old costume. It's weird. After that, though? It's basically a Daredevil book. Only I like Dick as a character far more.

If you like street-level superheroics, it's a must have in my opinion.

Kurtofan

Trinity War is bad but the main Forever Evil issues are good. Like you don't need to read Trinity War at all.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes. Great ones.

If you didn't like Dick before, you sure as hell will after that. First couple of chapters are much older, so it's mullet Dick with his old costume. It's weird. After that, though? It's basically a Daredevil book. Only I like Dick as a character far more.

If you like street-level superheroics, it's a must have in my opinion.
Sweet. They are getting a reprint early 2016, so I will preorder.

The Crime Syndicate have been around since the 60s or something. Blame their name on A) it's old comics and B) they give no fucks about pretending to be anything but what they are. And they aren't just evil capes from another world. In most incarnations they are the equivalent of crime families that have split up the world into different territories to control. Their name is "shitty" in the same way that the Avengers is: you don't avenge shit, bruhs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom