• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

The Crime Syndicate have been around since the 60s or something. Blame their name on A) it's old comics and B) they give no fucks about pretending to be anything but what they are. And they aren't just evil capes from another world. In most incarnations they are the equivalent of crime families that have split up the world into different territories to control. Their name is "shitty" in the same way that the Avengers is: you don't avenge shit, bruhs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz1rjq5emKY

If the person or group is terrifying strong they can name themselves whatever the fuck they want.

Mindwipe

Yeah, Trinity War isn't good. Everyone acts like a hyper-aggressive idiot for no good reason, unless you buy into it being the influence of the seven deadly sins.

And then the resolution for Pandora's plot, and why she restarted the entire universe, is completely forgotten. Dumb, dumb, dumb. But Forever Evil was much better. And read better in trade than the pacing being knackered up by it being horribly late.

Which is what's going to happen to Secret Wars at this rate.

Zombine

Banned
Oh yeah,

Mad Max is pretty freaking dope. I was able to get a good 2 hours in last night and I can't believe how much fun it is. The vistas are really breathtaking and it captures the charm of the Gibson films, and it throws in the madness and mayhem of Fury Road. The car fighting is probably the most important aspect of the game, and they truly nail it. If only the bstmobile drove that well...

Anyway , comics.

Last night I read vol 1. of Jodorowsky The White Lama, and I think it's one of the most beautiful tales I've read. It's batshit insane and gorgeous to look at, when reading it you get the idea that the Mongolian people are something that he was deeply passionate about. I hope everyone at least reads volume 1. It's 50 pages and it's only $2 on comixology right now.

9/10

+Art
+pacing/Dialogue
+believable characters

Tizoc

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but were there really ComicGAFfers who hadn't watched Mad Max FR when it was released?
What miserable MEDIOCRE lives were you living back then?

arkon

Maybe I'm misinterpreting but were there really ComicGAFfers who hadn't watched Mad Max FR when it was released?

The same life I'm living 3 months later. Other than for the GAF 50/50 challenge last year I don't watch many movies in a single year, not to mention I've not been to a cinema to watch a movie since The Dark Knight iirc. I'm plenty occupied with comics/manga and assorted other hobbies. Movies are way down the priority list.

The other thing is it's post-apocalyptic. Only thing I enjoy less in my fiction is zombies I think. In summary, I still have no compulsion to watch the film or consume related media.

Good day, sir.

Zombine

Banned
Only thing I enjoy less in my fiction is zombies I think.

giphy.gif

Tizoc

The same life I'm living 3 months later. Other than for the GAF 50/50 challenge last year I don't watch many movies in a single year, not to mention I've not been to a cinema to watch a movie since The Dark Knight iirc. I'm plenty occupied with comics/manga and assorted other hobbies. Movies are way down the priority list.

The other thing is it's post-apocalyptic. Only thing I enjoy less in my fiction is zombies I think. In summary, I still have no compulsion to watch the film or consume related media.

Good day, sir.

MEDIOCRE!
Post apocalyptic or no, it's best action movie of the past decade.
You go in for the well paced and presented plot, the awesome stunts, the great characterization, and dat Charlize Theron.
I dislike zombies as the next guy but gimme a good game or movie featuring them and I'd watch it.

Owzers

Still don't like the sped up effect in fury road, it made the beginning look goofy. I want to rent the game now.

Also, they need to make better zombie games and movies.

arkon

MEDIOCRE!
Post apocalyptic or no, it's best action movie of the past decade.
You go in for the well paced and presented plot, the awesome stunts, the great characterization, and dat Charlize Theron.
I dislike zombies as the next guy but gimme a good game or movie featuring them and I'd watch it.

I won't avoid something altogether if it contains those elements, particularly if it's from a trusted creative team, just that I won't make it a priority to read/watch/play that particular thing. So if it's in something that's already low priority, well, that just got a whole new lower level of priority. Positive word of mouth obviously helps push it in the other direction. It's a balance between all sorts of factors.

Tizoc

Still don't like the sped up effect in fury road, it made the beginning look goofy. I want to rent the game now.

Also, they need to make better zombie games and movies.

Well there's RE 1 Remaster, we've got RE 0 Remaster releasing by the end of the year with a funky Wesker mode. There's Zombie Vikings if you like beat'em-ups.

I won't avoid something altogether if it contains those elements, particularly if it's from a trusted creative team, just that I won't make it a priority to read/watch/play that particular thing. So if it's in something that's already low priority, well, that just got a whole new lower level of priority. Positive word of mouth obviously helps push it in the other direction. It's a balance between all sorts of factors.

Fair enough, do consider watching it in the near future though, so that you too may join us in Valhalla; shiny and chrome!

Owzers

Well there's RE 1 Remaster, we've got RE 0 Remaster releasing by the end of the year with a funky Wesker mode. There's Zombie Vikings if you like beat'em-ups.

Fair enough, do consider watching it in the near future though, so that you too may join us in Valhalla; shiny and chrome!
We've got nothing! I want a ps4 version of state of decay. I'm not that interested in resident remakes or new resident games, Capcom is mostly awful.

Tizoc

We've got nothing! I want a ps4 version of state of decay. I'm not that interested in resident remakes or new resident games, Capcom is mostly awful.

I think have State of Decay but haven't bothered to install it yet :V
I've enjoyed much of Capcom's output in the past 15 years though.

Nudull

Banned
So, Until Dawn. Worth picking up? Need a really good horror game after playing Alien: Isolation.

Finally been introduced to Constantine in Saga of the Swamp Thing. Guess I'll be reading Hellblazer eventually.

I really want to read Hellblazer, but I procrastinate. Low on money and all. :/

Has anyone here read the new Ming Doyle run? Is it any good?

Crime Syndicate is what theyr were called during the Silver Age IIRC. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how 'silly' a group name is when they're the most feared and dreaded people on a planet.
They could call themselves Betty and people would still run for the nearest bomb shelter if they so much fly over their house :V

Never really had an issue with the Crime Syndicate name. Especially since that Earth 2 story was the first time I had heard it. Morrison created a very effective set of characters there and it seemed to work fine with the alternate earth.

They also kind of creep me out.

ah, that's too bad. His GL fell off toward the end, but I enjoyed Sinestro Corps War.

The Crime Syndicate have been around since the 60s or something. Blame their name on A) it's old comics and B) they give no fucks about pretending to be anything but what they are. And they aren't just evil capes from another world. In most incarnations they are the equivalent of crime families that have split up the world into different territories to control. Their name is "shitty" in the same way that the Avengers is: you don't avenge shit, bruhs

I am not aware of the history of the name/group but maybe prior stories don't make it feel silly.

If it were in a series like the current Batman or Batman & Robin or Grayson, I could see it fitting in. Goes with the tone of those books. But when I read eleven issues of everyone taking themselves super seriously and worrying about the fate of the world and a major "bad thing" happening that could have serious implications, I don't expect this page. This page was the first time I heard of that name.

Yeah I'm rereading through some JL new 52 on the side as well, the early issues do paint Diana as an edgelord but the amazo arc starts turning it around. I do like Johns JL for the most part, starting with Throne of Atlantis. Something like John's JSA > Morrison's JL > JLI > John's JL > Kelly's JL for team books. My main complaint is that he can't juggle the team very well, Barry & Aquaman may as well not exist, Shazam & Cyborg exist for some throw away dialogue (except the metal men issues were excellent, so was curse of shazam). Lex & the trinity are the real stars of the show right now.

I'd be satisfied if Darkseid was his exiting arc and he went on to work on Shazam. Curious who DC would let pick up the reins. Then again there was suppose to be a Rise of the Seven Seas JL aquaman event, he last said it was planned for late 2015.

The one where the local screens were only running dubbed 3d versions, and fuck if i'll pay good money to see a two hour long film with no breaks and worse iq and sound than what i've got at home.

Watched it as soon as there was a BR version available.

Finally been introduced to Constantine in Saga of the Swamp Thing. Guess I'll be reading Hellblazer eventually.

Does ST treat him like a plague carrier as soon as he meets him?

I am not aware of the history of the name/group but maybe prior stories don't make it feel silly.

If it were in a series like the current Batman or Batman & Robin or Grayson, I could see it fitting in. Goes with the tone of those books. But when I read eleven issues of everyone taking themselves super seriously and worrying about the fate of the world and a major "bad thing" happening that could have serious implications, I don't expect this page. This page was the first time I heard of that name.

I thought the Crime Syndicate was an original creation by Johns as well, FWIW.

Does ST treat him like a plague carrier as soon as he meets him?

Having read the first three trades of Swamp Thing, Swampy is cautious of Constantine but goes along with what he says.

Good day, sir.

In general, I actually agree with you on both counts; zombies are overplayed as fuck (and frankly weren't that interesting to start with), and post apocalyptic settings are most often used as just a way to add cheap angst than anything. As a rule, I avoid both, and I don't even watch that many movies.

Mad Max is an entirely different animal. Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

Yeah, that was definitely a moment intended to get an "oh shit" reaction from people already familiar with the group. I can see why it landed flat for you.

Vyer

That reminds me I need to see whether or not Best Buy has any more of those bluray/graphic novel combos for Earth 2.

Yeah, lots of names in comics are silly without history or context. The idea with that was more a reveal with history to lend weight to the name rather than just the words 'crime syndicate'.

VanWinkle

I'm finally reading Justice by Jim Krueger (penciled by Doug Braithwaite and painted by Alex Ross).

The art is BLOWING MY MIND. So incredible. Check this out:

0906150907.jpg

Tizoc

I'm finally reading Justice by Jim Krueger (penciled by Doug Braithwaite and painted by Alex Ross).

0906150907.jpg

Heh I've known about this book for years, I think I have Vol. 1? Should give it a reread someday
But yeah Alex Ross' art is fantastic.

VanWinkle

Heh I've known about this book for years, I think I have Vol. 1? Should give it a reread someday
But yeah Alex Ross' art is fantastic.

Marvels and Kingdom Come, which were drawn and painted by Alex Ross were both absolutely amazing, but I am thinking this, with the penciling by whatever that guy's name is, might even be more impressive.

That reminds me I once had a portfolio review from the publisher of Atomic Robo. He looked through my work and was like well we try to publish all ages comics so we wouldn't really publish something where a character wears a shirt that says Fuck Canada on it.

I think that was the only thing he said about my work. I was like dude I'm not asking you to publish these strip they've already been published ha

Zombine

Banned
Let's put that to the test-
1- Do you have a PS4?
2- If so, Did you get the newest Zombie game(s) that was released last week on PSN?

Zombie U is great. So is Zombie Army Trilogy. So is Left 4 Dead 1-2, Walking Dead Season 1-2, W@W-Black Ops Zombies, Resident Evil 1-2, Plants vs Zombies, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, Dead Island(Debatable, but fun with friends), Dying Light, Dead Rising 1-3, ect...Starbreeze Walking Dead game is coming out this year....

Zombine

Banned
That reminds me I once had a portfolio review from the publisher of Atomic Robo. He looked through my work and was like well we try to publish all ages comics so we wouldn't really publish something where a character wears a shirt that says Fuck Canada on it.

I think that was the only thing he said about my work. I was like dude I'm not asking you to publish these strip they've already been published ha

I'm sorry brother but I don't think we can do business. You seem like a risk. Keep working hard though and maybe one day we'll get you under this umbrella.

gabbo

0906150907.jpg

Alex Ross made it very hard to read comics for a while after seeing his Kingdom Come work. The painted style just destroyed everything else.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Alex Ross work is fantastic but it is not for me. I prefer a much more cartoony style.

Yeah, I'm right there with you. I definitely appreciate the quality of his art, but it doesn't do a lot for me.

Squire

Banned
Dunno if any of you play them, but the new Dangan Ronpa seems pretty stellar.

Comics: I like more realistic looking stuff, o guess? Ross and whoever's in his wheelhouse is preferred. I like stylization too though. Like, I love Aja/Samnee/Sorrentino.

Really anything that doesn't look too cartoon-y.

I think I'm gonna read Squirrel Girl #1 right now though, so there you go.

Dunno if any of you play them, but the new Dangan Ronpa seems pretty stellar.

Interested in the story, but not the gameplay. I'll be waiting for a price drop.

Sweet. They are getting a reprint early 2016, so I will preorder.

I don't know about Germany, but they've reprinted the first two trades in the US this past year. I haven't read the whole run, but the first two volumes are stellar.

Zombies, like the Punisher, are a setting. What you do with the setting is up to you. Try to make the setting the center piece and you're very likely to fuck up.

Wouldnt ever classify Dead Rising 3 as great, but thats just moi.

Now I'm mad
And that is why you should start a list.

VanWinkle

Why? We appreciate the arts quality but it simply doesn't appeal to our senses. It's OK. There is no need to be mad.

Hehehe ok.

I actually love a wide variety of styles, but I can see how the more photorealistic style is not for everybody. I guess, for me, it's partly because of the quality of the art, but, even moreso, because it's a look that you NEVER see in comics outside of these few Alex Ross runs. It's so unique, and, because the quality is so incredible, it just delights my senses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom