• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two words that are underlined are things that go hand-in-hand.

Things like those do make me wonder if Marvel would have a better output if it hired from outside the industry every once in a while. Then again, his period saw books like hawkguy, squirrel-girl, gwen, silk, ms marvel and other stuff pop up, so it's hard to completely hate on the man.

VanWinkle

Yeah, that's the reason I bought both N7s. Wanted to try an Android tablet, and they were very good devices for the price. Screens were awesome, which helped alleviate the smaller size a but. But to be honest the Android tablet situation wasn't great and if you find yourself gravitating to your phone now they probably won't change that. There seems even less initiative by neither Google or devs to actually build things for a tablet form factor. The N7 was the most 'feels like a big phone' tablet I've ever owned. Even comixology just stuck their phone app on it and called it a day.

I've thought about that, but, in all honestly, after years and years of owning smart devices, during the past few years I don't really use many apps at all. I use the web browser, Youtube, and messaging. That's basically it. So, if I got a tablet, it would just be for those and Marvel Unlimited. The tablet app situation is not a factor for me. When I had a first gen iPad Mini, I never used anything other than web browser and Youtube after like four or five months.

I just started looking around Amazon, and I found this new Asus tablet. It looks to be essentially an Android ipad mini. Same high-res 4:3 IPS screen, really thin and light, but only $199! That's with 32GB. That's crazy.

The only thing I worry about is if an 8" screen would be big enough for me to comfortably look at comic pages without zooming. That's a major thing for me.

I've read pretty much everything ever put out by Ennis, and i'm struggling something fierce to remember a single nice female character ever done raw by him. Even when he has Something Terrible happen to them, there's a proper in-universe justification, and usually some balance afterwards.
She's not nice though. Far from it, in fact; before the mallet connects, Ennis has Diana say some pretty horrible things to the team. She comes off as haughty, cold, and unnecessarily cruel; the sort of Wonder Woman a Frank Miller would write. So, is the mallet the end of mean Diana's comeuppance, or simply the start of it?

Vyer

I've thought about that, but, in all honestly, after years and years of owning smart devices, during the past few years I don't really use many apps at all. I use the web browser, Youtube, and messaging. That's basically it. So, if I got a tablet, it would just be for those and Marvel Unlimited. The tablet app situation is not a factor for me. When I had a first gen iPad Mini, I never used anything other than web browser and Youtube after like four or five months.

I just started looking around Amazon, and I found this new Asus tablet. It looks to be essentially an Android ipad mini. Same high-res 4:3 IPS screen, really thin and light, but only $199! That's with 32GB. That's crazy.

The only thing I worry about is if an 8" screen would be big enough for me to comfortably look at comic pages without zooming. That's a major thing for me.

Hmm...Maybe? It's doable, especially on a hi res screen, but for me it was still a little too small. Ymmv though. I have a picture around somewhere with a n7, mini and Air side by side to give you an idea of how pages look in comparison. Is a little old now, but I'll see if I can dig it up it might help.

That's literally every company in every creative field. You could say that about DC. You could say that about games.

And about Gigax's original company /o/

Do seem to recall an article that tried to defend the position that the games of yore were bolder in their scope and reach precisely because you got all of those people from different areas, with families, building them. Then lamenting how now it's all nerds that grew up on gaming and got into development so they could create more games, and the industry became insular.

mreddie

Yep...
giphy.gif

Who would you guys rather see Pepper, Rhodey or an alt Tony as the star of Bendis' other Iron Man title?
Old Man Steve.

It could be like watching a senior citizen try to figure out how to program their television, only the senior citizen is Captain America and the television is an Iron Man suit.

Hey comic book people! I'm starting to get back into comics by way of all the Star Wars material that's been coming out this year and would like to expand my repertoire. I'm getting my hands on Saga and Southern Bastards, both of which look and sound great.

I've always been overwhelmed by all the usual Marvel superhero stuff, but upon finding out today that they're rebooting pretty much most of their titles, I would like to try them out! Which titles have been rebooted so far or are about to be?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Hey comic book people! I'm starting to get back into comics by way of all the Star Wars material that's been coming out this year and would like to expand my repertoire. I'm getting my hands on Saga and Southern Bastards, both of which look and sound great.

I've always been overwhelmed by all the usual Marvel superhero stuff, but upon finding out today that they're rebooting pretty much most of their titles, I would like to try them out! Which titles have been rebooted so far or are about to be?

Thanks in advance.

Reboots start in October. Right now the big Secret Wars crossover is still on-going.

Thanks in advance.
The books are kinda rebooted all the time. Not in the sense that they throw out all the old stuff and start from scratch, but modern superhero books are pretty friendly for new readers if you get in at the start of a run.

The best way to approach these books is to experiment with creator-owned comics, find out which writers you're into, and then read the Marvel stuff they've done. So if you like Jason Aaron from Star Wars and Southern Bastards, then go back to when he started on Thor and read that. Focusing on creators is the secret to enjoying yourself in the long run.

Tizoc

Thanks in advance.

Most people here would say Hawkguy by Matt Fraction, but that's cuz they're nu kids.
It's still a good book but there's also Daredevil by Mark Waid, you don't need to know much before his run but it's an overall fun and entertaining read, get on dat ish brah
qeofL3I.jpg

Green lantern CMX sale!

So most already know about Johns definitive Green Lantern run. But what most forget is the great Tomasi/Gleason run on Green Lantern Corp going on at the same time. Amazingly awesome team book. First time that book is on sale. And the first issue is free!

https://www.comixology.com/Green-Lantern-Sale/page/8008?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvbGFyZ2VDYXJvdXNlbA

the GLC stuff is out of print in TPBs too iirc. Can it be read standalone without reading the main title?

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll look into some more titles by those authors and also Daredevil. I'm actually enjoying Kieron Gillen's Darth Vader comics very much, and I read the first issue of The Wicked + The Divine months ago and thought it was enjoyable, so I could potentially jump back on that. Lots of good stuff on my plate it seems.

besada

Banned
I DO think Marvel Unlimited is a FANTASTIC value. I just hate reading digital comics. Not a fun experience to me. That would possibly be different if I had a big thin and light tablet where I could comfortably read each page without having to zoom in or do smart panels or whatever. But with my phone, even being a 5.5" 1440p screen, I can't stand it.

Not Marvel's fault, though. I wish I enjoyed it because the value is amazing.
Reading on an iPad was a revelation to me. I genuinely think the comics look better. The colors are amazing and no page bleed through. For older books that were scanned, this is less true, but new books being produced digitally look amazing.

Who's the new animu avatar, Tyrant?
Sachi from Goodnight Punpun

Thanks in advance.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction is a must read. It's a short series (22 issues or so) and already completed. Requires no prior reading and it's great stuff. Dialogue is fun to follow and the artists on it are all great. Daredevil by Mark Waid and The Superior Foes of Spider-Man are other good books that can be read with little experience.

Other than that, I'd probably say to just wait for October if you wanna just start fresh. You should be able to pick up any #1 without any prior knowledge.

Since you're already into indie stuff, I'd recommend Deadly Class. It's a great comic.

Megatron

Marvel trotting out the good Nocenti again. Covers the same material as the old Daredevil Legends trade and then 10 more issues.

I was wondering why that Typhoid's Kiss trade was missing her first appearance arc.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785196889/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It crosses over with the X-Men Inferno storyline and Romita Jr. goes crazy with his depiction of Manhattan.

Well I am all over this, even though I have the typhoid trade. I just love this era of DD. John or it's was amazing on this run.

Kid Abomination is joining the Howling Commandos.
Somwhow when i saw that cover i got so excited with Bro-Thing that i didnt even notice kid abomination. No idea how they'll justify putting a 14yo in a spec ops unity. Thanks!

Is Secret Wars leading into the reboots or will those be completely independent from the crossover?

The books aint being rebooted so much as having their counters reset. Nearly all the backstory will remain valid.

1st time to this OT and too lazy to go through all the topics that have been discussed thus far. Just thought of dropping by and stirring the pot a little by trying to start a discussion about the newest TWD Issue that will hit tomorrow.

Things are getting intense between the
Whisperers and Rick's band of colonists.
I can't wait to find out what happens in this issue and how things will progress further in this very interesting arc!

Oh yea....there is also that Apple Keynote in the morning....

VanWinkle

Finally finished Justice by Jim Krueger/Alex Ross/Doug Braithwaite. Absolutely incredible. Wow. What an epic. It was almost overwhelming in its depth and scope. Almost 400 pages long encompassing 12 chapters.

"I got X-Men........adios."
It's hard to be angry with that. Say what you will about Lemire's dialogue, but his long-form storytelling is good, though his moment to moment is a bit lacking. His strongest point is his lore and mythology handling though. Lord does JLD need that super bad right now. This last arc could have been insane if it didn't feel like it was a "do it as we go" type of thing. Feels very half-assed and contrived.

Tizoc

Finally finished Justice by Jim Krueger/Alex Ross/Doug Braithwaite. Absolutely incredible. Wow. What an epic. It was almost overwhelming in its depth and scope. Almost 400 pages long encompassing 12 chapters.

You are aware the cast is based on the 80s/70s Superfriends cartoon right ;)

Why is Deathstroke such a jobber? Like, by all accounts he should be a major threat. Especially to street-level heroes, but for some reason he jobs in the worst conceivable ways possible.

I feel like making a thread just about jobbers in fiction. I already have a couple in mind. Deathstroke. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Fucking Gohan.

Yousefb

Green Lantern sale on comixology! Is any of that worth a look? Never read any Green Lantern before, but kinda curious now after reading Omega Men.

Tizoc

Why is Deathstroke such a jobber? Like, by all accounts he should be a major threat. Especially to street-level heroes, but for some reason he jobs in the worst conceivable ways possible.

I feel like making a thread just about jobbers in fiction. I already have a couple in mind. Deathstroke. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Fucking Gohan.

Hey
That's not how you spell Yamcha.

Come on mang.
He kicked Cell's ass, before that he was strong enough to take on Frieza but cuz he was a child he couldn't go through with it.
Blame Toriyama for his poor writing skills and on nerfing Gohan.

Yamcha is the OG jobber doe.
Along with Vegeta & Piccolo.

Darth Maul, as mentioned earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom