• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I really wish I could afford an Ipad air. But I'm going into money saving mode at the moment. Really need to stop spending all my money on shit I don't really need.

Been so distracted lately with way too much shit in my life, so I haven't really had time to read or post in the thread or read any comics.

I miss you guys. :(

I've also been watching a bunch of Mr. Robot. Just a couple more episodes til I'm done with the first season. It's really good.
Keep fighting the good fight brah. I've been so depressed I haven't read comics in months.

Messi

Comics are one of the few things that actually helps me with my depression. Or at least makes me for get I am for a little while.

I have been very depressed since I lost my job. But when I read comics for those few moments, I am given some relief and I forget the world I am in and it lets me escape.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Is human target good? I keep seeing it and I like the cover of the 2nd tpb

Messi

Maybe I'm a bad person, but none of this makes me not want to read comics from her.

After a bit of a think about it I think I feel the same. She has made some shit mistakes and probably should have owned up to them but ive been following her on twitter for a while and she doesnt seem to be a grossly shit person.

I certainly don't feel that those 3 links should end with her losing her job on the hellcat book.
It will be canned after 12 issues max, if she hulk only got 12 it will be a miracle if hellcat gets more :(

After a bit of a think about it I think I feel the same. She has made some shit mistakes and probably should have owned up to them but ive been following her on twitter for a while and she doesnt seem to be a grossly shit person.

I certainly don't feel that those 3 links should end with her losing her job on the hellcat book.
It will be canned after 12 issues max, if she hulk only got 12 it will be a miracle if hellcat gets more :(
I mean, making mistakes and then not facing those criticisms well is not that bad. She's young and makes mistakes. Shes not being deliberately hurtful and looks to include people in comics who have historically been excluded. She founded the valkyries and in general seems like a good person. These mistakes arent going to change that imo.

Of course I'm not gonna hold it against you if you have a different line than mine. Whether that means you are more selective in the comics you buy or separate the work from the author

Xis

So anyone here ever buy any comics from a Groupees bundle? Like how are they delivered (PDF / CBZ / ???), and is the quality any good?

They have a Valiant bundle up right now that has a lot of stuff in it that wasn't in last year's Humble Valiant Bundle (X-O Manowar vols 4-7, Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel, Doctor Mirage vol 1, Unity vol. 3, The Delinquents + Armor Hunters w/ all the tie in volumes).

Edit: figured out the format by myself; looks like PDF & CBZ.

So anyone here ever buy any comics from a Groupees bundle? Like how are they delivered (PDF / CBZ / ???), and is the quality any good?

They have a Valiant bundle up right now that has a lot of stuff in it that wasn't in last year's Humble Valiant Bundle (X-O Manowar vols 4-7, Eternal Warrior: Days of Steel, Doctor Mirage vol 1, Unity vol. 3, The Delinquents + Armor Hunters w/ all the tie in volumes).

Edit: figured out the format by myself; looks like PDF & CBZ.

Another thing to note, they are all zipped when you download them. I know, not a big deal, but it was still a bit annoying.

Quality seems to be about the same as Valiant's Humble books, which were easily the best of all the ones HB has put out (although to be fair, the files were comparatively massive).

I have never let a writer's personal views dissuade me from reading their work. If something sounds interesting enough to me, I'll buy it.

I'd like to do the opposite sometimes, but it'd be massively hypocritical of me. I watch wrestling fairly often, and that's full of horrible people, but I still don't give it up. Even though they recently released a book honouring a man who said "Queerin' don't make the world work!", their world champion left his fiance to date a Nazi sympathiser, and an all-time legend has a tape out there with him literally saying not just racist and homophobic things, but literally saying "I am a racist."

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, it only took me like a year, but I finished Big Damn Sin City!
Really great stuff.

I thought for sure the quality would go down as the stories got more recent, but the quality maintained the whole way through. The last story was one of my favorites, in fact.

Keep fighting the good fight brah. I've been so depressed I haven't read comics in months.

I have been very depressed since I lost my job. But when I read comics for those few moments, I am given some relief and I forget the world I am in and it lets me escape.

Really sorry to hear it, guys. :(
Hang in there. I'm right there with you.

Also, just gonna give a quick shout out to the wonderful Mental Health thread if you guys ever need to talk about stuff.

Another thing to note, they are all zipped when you download them. I know, not a big deal, but it was still a bit annoying.

Quality seems to be about the same as Valiant's Humble books, which were easily the best of all the ones HB has put out (although to be fair, the files were comparatively massive).

The zips are extra silly since you're dealing with image data that's already compressed beyond what their basic zip format can do with so the zips range from very very slightly smaller to very very slightly bigger than the cbz files.

Busaiku

Renew Your Vows actually ended really nicely.
I was kind of worried since the previous issue was pretty weak, but it wrapped things up nicely and handled Peter well.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just started Hellblazer Vol 4.
The first issue in that TPB was so amazing. The premise of a fictional character escaping into the real world and tons of fiction tropes happening to him was too good.

New Deadly Class felt like a big tease.

The
What if Herpes scene
, is like one of the biggest WTF moments of the series so far.

Bravo Remender

OH MY GOODNESS! SKY DOLL!

Sky-Doll-Decade-a2c4f.jpg

I still own the two hardcovers of this series that Marvel released way back during their partnership with Soleil. I don't know if this is just a re-release of the two hardcovers in a condensed volume, or if this also includes material that was never released in the US. I'm psyched, either way.

I checked the preview on CBR and it looks fine, but the comic series itself does have some nudity and sexually abusive content in parts. Just a word of warning.

Aizo

Banned
Is Tokyo Ghost actually taking place in Tokyo? Western depictions of Japan often times turn me off.
I want to trust Remender... but I don't know if I do.

Messi

I dropped it. I wanted to like it, but it just wasn't happening.

I have loved the issues released up until today's that I haven't read.

OH MY GOODNESS! SKY DOLL!

I still own the two hardcovers of this series that Marvel released way back during their partnership with Soleil. I don't know if this is just a re-release of the two hardcovers in a condensed volume, or if this also includes material that was never released in the US. I'm psyched, either way.

I checked the preview on CBR and it looks fine, but the comic series itself does have some nudity and sexually abusive content in parts. Just a word of warning.

Wow that is some wonderful art. Picking this up.

But I'm not sure about the sexually abusive stuff. Is it like low?

Read Shattered Empire. So good! I like how it picks up right at the very end of ROTJ. Rucka also wrote one of the three kids Star Wars novels that came out this past week. And Phil Noto did some illustration for all three.

But I'm not sure about the sexually abusive stuff. Is it like low?

It's only one story from the book, but it's pretty fucking dark. The basic gist is that
a young girl wins a contest to represent their goddess on stage, and she ends up being raped and abused on television. The story ends with her - after having been traumatized - the following year as she's watching the next girl (who's extremely excited about having won the contest) selected for the event.
I'm obviously not a fan of that story, and I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at the first time I read it, but the others are quite good.

MikeDip

Sorry for so many questions but I just got back from a store ans bought some stuff and am now in a buying mood again. I bought some Manhattan Projects because I wanted sci fi. It's nice so far!

So my question: Someone please tell me the DBZ equivalent for comics that I can get in hardcover or tpb. In terms of the power level nonsense and escalation and then some humour I guess plus some supernatural fighting.

So my question: Someone please tell me the DBZ equivalent for comics that I can get in hardcover or tpb. In terms of the power level nonsense and escalation and then some humour I guess plus some supernatural fighting.

You're much more likely to find what you're looking for in a manga than American comics. I would highly suggest checking out One-Punch Man.

MikeDip

You're much more likely to find what you're looking for in a manga than American comics. I would highly suggest checking out One-Punch Man.

I've already looked at manga and have some fun things I want comics :(

(One punch man is cool)

I mean, making mistakes and then not facing those criticisms well is not that bad. She's young and makes mistakes. Shes not being deliberately hurtful and looks to include people in comics who have historically been excluded. She founded the valkyries and in general seems like a good person. These mistakes arent going to change that imo.

Of course I'm not gonna hold it against you if you have a different line than mine. Whether that means you are more selective in the comics you buy or separate the work from the author

Basically yeah

Plus i don't really think of her as some kinda queer icon, i just like some of her work fine and think this will be dope

Owzers

Sorry for so many questions but I just got back from a store ans bought some stuff and am now in a buying mood again. I bought some Manhattan Projects because I wanted sci fi. It's nice so far!

I'd read Nextwave: Agents of Hate.

Hagi

Read Shattered Empire. So good! I like how it picks up right at the very end of ROTJ. Rucka also wrote one of the three kids Star Wars novels that came out this past week. And Phil Noto did some illustration for all three.

I picked up Weapon of a Jedi and Noto even has some interior illustrations in it which are amazing. I love that he is going HAM on all the Star Wars stuff he's getting so much exposure it's great. Waiting for my copy of Shattered Empire to com by post so tempting just to get it digitally but i can wait.

It's only one story from the book, but it's pretty fucking dark. The basic gist is that
a young girl wins a contest to represent their goddess on stage, and she ends up being raped and abused on television. The story ends with her - after having been traumatized - the following year as she's watching the next girl (who's extremely excited about having won the contest) selected for the event.
I'm obviously not a fan of that story, and I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at the first time I read it, but the others are quite good.

This is some Black Mirror type shit, jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom