• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's DC top mind hierarchy nowadays? Brainiac>Lex>Wayne?

Kinda wondering how lex and bruce would fare if forced to deal with each other purely with tech and oneupsmanship

Uh... it kinda depends. If we take JL Bats as our base, he's currently a literal god. So I'd say he'd spank Brainiac and Lex pretty handily thanks to the Mobius Chair.

Otherwise? They're smart in kind of different ways. Brainiac probably wins by virtue of being a computer with multiple orders of magnitude more "processing power" than the other contenders (who should really include Mr. Terrific and Ray Palmer).

Honestly, now that I stop and think about it, in a purely tech context I'm not sure Bats is part of the picture, generally speaking. He's damn smart, and a competent engineer, but most of his wiles are about planning and manipulation rather than invention, necessarily; he leans on the other heroes and supporting guys like Fox for that.

Otherwise? They're smart in kind of different ways. Brainiac probably wins by virtue of being a computer with multiple orders of magnitude more "processing power" than the other contenders (who should really include Mr. Terrific and Ray Palmer).

Wth. DC using the atom? Anything good come out of it?

Wth. DC using the atom? Anything good come out of it?

I dunno about "using." I think that ATM he's working with Shade as their in-house tech/theoretical physics guy, so it's been... interesting, if nothing else :p And he's got some fantastic toys. He's not really the Atom, though it's possible I've missed something; despite my DC fanboyism, it's not like I'm reading their entire line :p

Planet Hulk #5 =END=

What the SHIT?
How in the name of fuck is THAT an ending? Like... WHAT?

Welp, back into the hate book Humphries goes, all goodwill accrued with Avengers AI permanently lost.

Korkav Saga #4 =END=
Well, that's another one that fizzled out at the end.

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies #4 =END=
Nice little rounded up tale there. Nothing to write home about, but certainly don't regret reading it.

Yousefb

Awesome man! Congratulations :D
Will buy it once I get home.

Yes. The sale has the first 5-6 years of Geoff John's run on Green Lantern (plus the concurrent Green Lantern Corps series); it was hugely influential, and quite popular. Geoff brings back Hal Jordan, builds Sinestro up as a genuine threat, and introduces the various different color lantern corps. If you are interested, I'd recommend starting at the beginning with the six issues of 'Green Lantern: Rebirth', and then the five issues of 'Green Lantern Corps: Recharge'; after that I'd highly recommend picking up the the main series through the Sinestro Corps War (probably the highlight of John's run) - you'd want the first 25 issues of Green Lantern, issues 14-16 of Green lantern Corps, and the two Sinestro Corps tie-ins.

The stuff after that is really good too, but some of the later stuff ties really heavily into Blackest Night, which isn't part of this sale.

Edit: I'm a lifelong Marvel guy, but I have the entirety of Geoff's GL run (+GLC, Emerald Warriors, Red Lanterns, Brightest Day, etc.) in trades on my bookshelf.
This all sounds great, you've convinced me.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I already own the Luther Strode stuff so that's cool! Guess I should read it.

Will also look into the Nextwave stuff. Will be honest, all of the acronyms in the amazon description really sold me. So ridiculous in the best way

Messi

Harley Quinn Road Trip special, one shot. (thank you Korupt :)) This one shot was absolutely incredible. It is 41 pages of fun and hijinks with the Gotham City Sirens going across country. This is the first time jimmy and Amanda have used the sirens as a trio (or Catwoman at all). There is so much that happens that I would love to talk about but it is best left unspoiled as that is part of the fun of the issue. If you love hijinks or these characters it is a must buy. Even at 5.99 it is full of value.

The book is so out there at times but then a few pages later it delivers some very human moments that surprised me. One page actually made me cry and I have no doubt Korupt knows which page.
It's where Ivy shows Harley her uncles scrapbook with old photos of him and Harley. It was incredibly touching and it humanized Harley in a way I didn't expect. But it was the picture of Harley dressed as Wonder Woman that got me. It's nice to see that Harley did at one point want to be a super hero. Even though she believes she is one currently. That whole section with the graveyard was beautifully done.

One more spoiler
The alcohol dreams. Holy shit lol. I was dying at all of it but I totally lost it at batman making out with Harley with an actual cat face. Just perfect.

I finally believe jimmy and Amanda understand what makes Harley and Ivys relationship special. It was the one real worry I had about their run.

Cheska you need to buy this. You will love it. It is fun fun fun fun.

VanWinkle

Harley Quinn Road Trip special, one shot. (thank you Korupt :)) This one shot was absolutely incredible. It is 41 pages of fun and hijinks with the Gotham City Sirens going across country. This is the first time jimmy and Amanda have used the sirens as a trio (or Catwoman at all). There is so much that happens that I would love to talk about but it is best left unspoiled as that is part of the fun of the issue. If you love hijinks or these characters it is a must buy. Even at 5.99 it is full of value.

The book is so out there at times but then a few pages later it delivers some very human moments that surprised me. One page actually made me cry and I have no doubt Korupt knows which page.
It's where Ivy shows Harley her uncles scrapbook with old photos of him and Harley. It was incredibly touching and it humanized Harley in a way I didn't expect. But it was the picture of Harley dressed as Wonder Woman that got me. It's nice to see that Harley did at one point want to be a super hero. Even though she believes she is one currently. That whole section with the graveyard was beautifully done.

One more spoiler
The alcohol dreams. Holy shit lol. I was dying at all of it but I totally lost it at batman making out with Harley with an actual cat face. Just perfect.

I finally believe jimmy and Amanda understand what makes Harley and Ivys relationship special. It was the one real worry I had about their run.

Cheska you need to buy this. You will love it. It is fun fun fun fun.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Did you buy the Harley issue?

Harley's outfit game was strong in this one. So many cool costumes. Ivy and Selina too but especially Harley.

I passed on it. I was barely willing to pay $4.99 for Batman.

I just finished reading Ms. Marvel, and that was a really great issue.

Messi

Best thing I can say for that Harley issue is that they have enough material in there that could have been stretched out into a 5-6 issue mini series like the Pee Gee one. Would have loved that. As it stands it's a fantastic stand alone issue.

I passed on it. I was barely willing to pay $4.99 for Batman.

I just finished reading Ms. Marvel, and that was a really great issue.

Should have gotten it :)

Yousefb

Dammit the Star Wars books are so expensive. I've decided to read the main book and Vader on the unlimited app but I jumped on Lando since it's a miniseries. Going to do the same for Shattered Empire but damn that price.

I'm not willing to pay $5 on Batman, even.

I'll wait for the price drop, and I instead spent that extra dollar on Ed's comic, which was pretty fantastic. I'm eager to read more. There are some really great snippets of dialogue and some interesting world building.

Messi

Is the price a problem when the page count goes up? The problem with the original batman price going up was because the page count wasn't rising. They were just doing it to get more money for the same content.

I don't mind paying more for more pages. They are expensive comics though. Especially when buying 15 a week or more.

VanWinkle

Got my first Superman book. Woo!

rsz0910150001.jpg

Owzers

Is the price a problem when the page count goes up? The problem with the original batman price going up was because the page count wasn't rising. They were just doing it to get more money for the same content.

I don't mind paying more for more pages. They are expensive comics though. Especially when buying 15 a week or more.

Hmmmm usually when i pay more for a comic with a few more pages i don't feel like i just bought something "better" than when it had fewer pages and the dull parts stand out even more as things i would have rather they cut than charged me extra for. Then there's stuff like $4.99 40 page Marvel #1 issues for the relaunch where they want you to pay more for a series you don't know if you like yet, which is worse.

Doesn't it take years for DC annuals to go on sale? I'm still waiting for Batgirl Annual #2 to go on sale so I can have a digital copy.

I can wait. Or you can mail me your copy, but only if you pay shipping.

:D

I'm not willing to pay $5 on Batman, even.

Was today's issue bigger than normal? I didn't notice.

Then there's stuff like $4.99 40 page Marvel #1 issues for the relaunch where they want you to pay more for a series you don't know if you like yet, which is worse.

They don't know how many people are going to stick with any of these books, so they'll hit you for as much as they can right off the bat.

Sorry for so many questions but I just got back from a store ans bought some stuff and am now in a buying mood again. I bought some Manhattan Projects because I wanted sci fi. It's nice so far!

So my question: Someone please tell me the DBZ equivalent for comics that I can get in hardcover or tpb. In terms of the power level nonsense and escalation and then some humour I guess plus some supernatural fighting.
So, solid action books that aren't too heavy?

Welp, here's what I got:

Rat Queens
Inhuman
The Trial of Jean Grey (though you may need a bit of background info on that one)
Death Vigil (especially Death Vigil)
The Flash: Rebirth

Those are my suggestions, anyways.
fuck new comix i just picked up 2 issues of liefeld x-force and 1 of liefeld new mutants from the dollar bin

What I'm talkin' bout right here.

Yousefb

Just read SIEGE, yo that issue was freaking amazing! The double page spreads were all so beautifully vivid and detailed. The story is just over the top awesomeness right now and I'm loving every minute of it. Those last few page? Man, oh man. Hell, this whole issue from start to finish was great action.

PsychBat!

Banned
Just read SIEGE, yo that issue was freaking amazing! The double page spreads were all so beautifully vivid and detailed. The story is just over the top awesomeness right now and I'm loving every minute of it. Those last few page? Man, oh man. Hell, this whole issue from start to finish was great action.

Yup. Gillen delivers.

what's even going on with superman's shit anymore i don't even know

something about wrath and vandal savage working together

and like, he didn't even tell bruce wayne who he really is

and with batman 44 just being a flashback how are they going to get to normal batman in time for batman/robin eternal

or is this going to be one of those "who gives a shit about continuity" things

Watched Justice League: War. I don't know why I keep giving DC's animated films a chance. -_-

Edit: Now that I think about it, this was like a half-assed retread of the first three episodes of the Justice League animated series.

Yousefb

what's even going on with superman's shit anymore i don't even know

something about wrath and vandal savage working together

and like, he didn't even tell bruce wayne who he really is

and with batman 44 just being a flashback how are they going to get to normal batman in time for batman/robin eternal

or is this going to be one of those "who gives a shit about continuity" things
I assumed Bruce Batman in B&R Eternal would be shown in flashbacks rather than the present day scenes.

Aizo

Banned
Are digital floppies cheap anywhere (I mean cheaper than their physical counterparts)? Please say no so I can continue waiting for trades. Getting physical American comics in Japan is a pain, especially outside of big cities. I picked up Low's first trade last time I was in Tokyo for more than it should've cost. I should obviously give up on physical comics altogether.

Stalk

Renew your vows #5

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Felt like a bit of a wet fart at the end of an otherwise decent run. Don't know what I was expecting, it'd be nice to see them again but at the same time not sure how I feel about Annie. Idea was nice but execution wasn't great.

Messi

It frustrates me that the teens in Deadly Class are acting like spoilt teenagers. If Marcus could stop being so angry for a second he might see that not everything is shit and out to get him. I do realize that this is the point and comes with age and experience. I understand how parents feel now. They are all on this destructive path and a bit of common sense could stop all of that.

arkon

Are digital floppies cheap anywhere (I mean cheaper than their physical counterparts)? Please say no so I can continue waiting for trades. Getting physical American comics in Japan is a pain, especially outside of big cities. I picked up Low's first trade last time I was in Tokyo for more than it should've cost. I should obviously give up on physical comics altogether.

Comixology is the main digital platform most peope use. Some books start off with a discount over print where others are the same price, but the beauty of it really is the weekly sales when you tend to get the biggest discounts. I believe most publishers start offering discounted prices after a certain length of time but I don't remember how soon that is after initial release. I want to say a month for some of them...

Mindwipe

On release day no, three months later they generally drop considerably. In CMX sales they drop very considerably, in Humble Bundles you sometimes feel kinda guilty.

Mindwipe

It frustrates me that the teens in Deadly Class are acting like spoilt teenagers. If Marcus could stop being so angry for a second he might see that not everything is shit and out to get him. I do realize that this is the point and comes with age and experience. I understand how parents feel now. They are all on this destructive path and a bit of common sense could stop all of that.

Most of them are spoilt teenagers... Marcus isn't spoiled but he's clearly virtually irreparably psychologically damaged by his time living homeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom