• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

I just saw that Geoff Johns writes the New 52 GL volumes 1 through 3. Are those good? I love how easy it is to follow New 52 since they just put things in Volume numbers.

The new 52 stuff more or less carries on from previous continuity. I'd say the Green Lantern Rebirth miniseries is a good place to start. Since that was the precursor to his Green Lantern run iirc.

Kin5290

Lmao

Aftermath is way more fun and interesting and dense and wide reaching than Shattered, which was just a fine comic.
Aftermath is utter trash, and is only "Star Wars" in the sense that Wendig used a good character that somebody else created and then took a bunch of references he pulled up on Wookiepedia and then used them in hilariously inappropriate contexts. Many of the (poor to below average) old EU authors could have written a better, less incompetent book. Hell, even Karin Traviss is more readable and everyone hated her.

Greg Rucka is a vastly superior prose writer and if he were writing a 3 book series instead of a 4 issue comic miniseries the resulting work would be far superior in quality and scope.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Remender Sale is Live on Comixology

Time to buy Deadly Class if you haven't already

I'm gonna get Strange Girl

Those assholes! I was just praising them for not tempting me with a sale for a while. But now here I am about the hit "confirm sale" on 16 issues of Black Science and 18 issues of Strange Girl! I hope their happy!

My friends talk about Rat Queen alot

One of my favorites. Don't love the new artist but she's certainly not bad.

football is back

sweet, sweet glorious football
Yes, yes it is.
I should have asked if anyone wanted todo a ComicGaf Fantasy Football league
I was wanting to do 2nd this year

--------------------------
"Harley Quinn joins the cast of 'Gotham Academy' as the shool's newest (and wackiest!) guidance counselor!"

"Harley Quinn joins the cast of 'Prez' as President Ross's newest (and wackiest!) cabinet member!"

"Harley Quinn joins the cast of 'We Are Robin' as the latest (and wackest!) "teen" to don the famous stylized R!"

"Harley Quinn joins the cast of 'Cyborg' as the newest (and wackest!) member of Vic Stone's debugging team!"

"Harley Quinn joins the cast of 'Justice League 3001' as the latest (and wackiest!) villain to join Lois Lane's Legion of Doom!"

BAM. Instant sales bump.

LOL

Hagi

Thanks for that link. I would say that the author must have deliberately left it open-ended.

It's been a while since I read it but I think Dark Victory makes it a little less vague.

Aftermath is utter trash, and is only "Star Wars" in the sense that Wendig used a good character that somebody else created and then took a bunch of references he pulled up on Wookiepedia and then used them in hilariously inappropriate contexts. Many of the (poor to below average) old EU authors could have written a better, less incompetent book. Hell, even Karin Traviss is more readable and everyone hated her.

Greg Rucka is a vastly superior prose writer and if he were writing a 3 book series instead of a 4 issue comic miniseries the resulting work would be far superior in quality and scope.

Han-4.gif

Wendig has really ruffled some feathers it seems.

lmaox2

mr bones is the charac find of 2015
sorry you're not into things that are fun

can't argue that rucka might write a better book but they shuttled him off to ya land what can i tell you

Eh, I didn't mind Traviss that much. She was very good at writing military fiction, that much is certain. But man, I'm enjoying Aftermath so far. Do you dislike it that much or are you just having a hard time letting go of the old EU?

Eh, I didn't mind Traviss that much. She was very good at writing military fiction, that much is certain. But man, I'm enjoying Aftermath so far. Do you dislike it that much or are you just having a hard time letting go of the old EU?

As a Star Wars, Halo, and Gears fan:

Karin Traviss is the worst.

Friendly reminder, the Valiant Groupees Bundle #1 ends in a few days.

For the new guys, if you know nothing of Valiant, they are some of the best cape books on the market, giving DC/Marvel a serious run for their money in the creative department. The bundle is an exceptional value and provides numerous entry points into the universe.

and don't listen to whatever Freeza says about Valiant, she hasn't read a single issue :D

Brother, I promise you I do not. There really isn't that much happening with the MCU. Not enough to necessitate a guide. I love the movies, but that definitely frustrates me.
It's primarily a thinly veiled cash grab and nothing more, but at this point in the game I can understand why some would be confused by that universe and need a guide to understand it.

It IS basically comics in movie form after all.

I mean I know people who were confused when The Avengers came out. Let alone all everything that's going on now.

It's primarily a thinly veiled cash grab and nothing more, but at this point in the game I can understand why some would be confused by that universe and need a guide to understand it.

It IS basically comics in movie form after all.

I mean I know people who were confused when The Avengers came out. Let alone all everything that's going on now.

Confused by The Avengers? How? The MCU movies couldn't be more accessible.

MG310

Marvel TV announced their panels for NYCC. Shield/Agent Carter on Friday, and Jessica Jones/Daredevil on Saturday.

Might actually sit through the entire episode of Shield they're showing to see the Agent Carter stuff.

Jessica Jones panel is the same time as the Street Fighter V one and bumps up against the charity auction though.

Xis

For the new guys, if you know nothing of Valiant, they are some of the best cape books on the market, giving DC/Marvel a serious run for their money in the creative department. The bundle is an exceptional value and provides numerous entry points into the universe.

This bundle is a great deal; for $15 bucks you get something like two dozen TPB's. I already owned half of them and it was still a very good deal for me.

This bundle is a great deal; for $15 bucks you get something like two dozen TPB's. I already owned half of them and it was still a very good deal for me.

Indeed. Quantity as well as quality. Sadly, I own everything, but I'll probably throw a few bucks their way by the end of it.

I don't think I'll be sniping the top spot before someone says it

Cheska

Jesus, didn't realize how behind I was on my pulls, have three weeks of comics to catch up on O_O

Managed to read Batman last night and while it wasn't bad, I was definitely expecting a little more from that creative team...

and don't listen to whatever Freeza says about Valiant, she hasn't read a single issue :D

I can stand by all of this.

I don't think I'll be sniping the top spot before someone says it

<3

Marvel made the announcement today. Mary Jane is said to play &#8220;an unexpected new role&#8221; in Tony Stark&#8217;s life.

&#8220;We were at one of our glorious Marvel publishing retreats and certain characters got brought up, sometimes almost accidentally, and I found out that nobody had anything going on with Mary Jane,&#8221; writer Brian Michael Bendis tells Marvel.com. &#8220;I sat with that for a while and I always go to this place in my head where I [wonder] what the most interesting thing I would like to see that character do now and it fell right into the ideas I was already cooking for Tony Stark.&#8221;

Bendis says Mary Jane and Tony have a history, from her time living at Avengers Tower, but their dynamic as of All-New All-Different Marvel may take readers by surprise.

&#8220;They know each other,&#8221; Bendis continues. &#8220;She used to live in Avengers Tower. But that&#8217;s all I&#8217;m going to say for now because what kind of relationship they end up having is a big part of what I would like people to buy the book for. But what I can tell you is that it is new territory for both Tony and Mary Jane. And that is pretty exciting to write.

&#8220;I [have] spent most of my time at Marvel writing the teenage version of Mary Jane [in ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN]. This is a grown-up woman who has been through a lot. She seems like one of those characters that went down certain paths that may not have panned out the way she hope; and she&#8217;s ready for a kick ass second act.&#8221;
Really hoping that "unexpected new role" MJ is playing isn't the role everyone is already assuming she's going to play, that of new love interest. I mean, she can't be with Peter because he's got too much Spider- drama, but she can be with Stark who has too much Iron- drama? Come on people. Also, how sad is it that nobody at Marvel had anything planned for her so Bendis said "I'll take her!"

Fuck Bendis.

god why do people have these knee jerk reactions to literally five words instead waiting to see what the story is.

it's the same mentality of people just skimming comics and finishing them in four minutes.

all that matters is the plot points and sometimes even less.

X IS GOING TO BE IN Y BOOK? FUCK THIS WRITER I HATE FOR SOME REASON EVEN THOUGH HE WROTE DAREDEVIL.

whatever, comics.

Hagi

Bendis writes Tony great, Bendis writes MJ great. I don't really see the problem. She's not getting back together with Peter so what the fuck else are they supposed to do when nobody wants to use her character.

#TeamBendis

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Bendis writes Tony great, Bendis writes MJ great. I don't really see the problem. She's not getting back together with Peter so what the fuck else are they supposed to do when nobody wants to use her character.

#TeamBendis

OK, where can I read Bendis take on 616 MJ? I dont think that he will let Tony hook up with a underaged MJ from a dead mutliverse.

Ponn

Banned
This Dark Knight 3 release is a fecking mess. Mini comics, collectors comics released aferwards, slipcases. Im definitely holding off on this shit and if it does turn out good just picking up the eventual HC.

And that's hilarious with MJ and Tony. Tony is more of a trainwreck than Peter ever was and has a shit load more baggage. If they are getting into a relationship thats a total downgrade for MJ.

#TeamBendis

yeah but i really liked moonstone once and quasar and
GOD ENOUGH

theres no patience anymore, no joyful curiosity

but i get it

i no longer have the patience for this grotesque cynicism
nor am i joyfully curious to see what people are going lash out at with no cause next

comics are better than they have ever been in my lifetime, and its audience is devolving into the absolute worst ive ever seen it, mired in cynicism and entitlement, clinging to old stories and expectations, reacting to new ideas, or even the THREAT of new ideas like a dracula reacts to a dropped windowshade at 12 noon.

Comics? Guys? Secretly?

THEY'RE FUN.
HAVE FUN.

honestly what's wrong with you guys? what makes you say "FUCK BENDIS" without reading a single story detail? a single sentence of context?

what's the thought process here?

actually, i don't give a fuck.

never mind.

mreddie

Really hoping that "unexpected new role" MJ is playing isn't the role everyone is already assuming she's going to play, that of new love interest. I mean, she can't be with Peter because he's got too much Spider- drama, but she can be with Stark who has too much Iron- drama? Come on people. Also, how sad is it that nobody at Marvel had anything planned for her so Bendis said "I'll take her!"

Comics = WWE

Hagi

OK, where can I read Bendis take on 616 MJ? I dont think that he will let Tony hook up with a underaged MJ from a dead mutliverse.

I'm sure she appears at some point during his Avengers runs. You'd think it would be enough that he's written the best version of her ever conceived but nope fuck Bendis put 616 MJ back into irrelevancy.

I'm just going to stick to reading Star Wars and Valiant from now. Nobody moans about them, hell nobody even acknowledges the latter's existence except Super Shrill.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I'm sure she appears at some point during his Avengers runs. You'd think it would be enough that he's written the best version of her ever conceived but nope fuck Bendis put 616 MJ back into irrelevancy.

Yeah, I forgot all these unoverhearable talk about her appearences in his Avengers runs. People only remember her because of this.

Hagi

When are characters gonna start cutting promos?

Shill*

And there is one other who acknowledges.

The Joyless One

no no Shrill is right because when you talk Valiant a loud piercing sound rings through my head. I like to imagine you sound like Monokuma in real life.

I'm just going to stick to reading Star Wars and Valiant from now. Nobody moans about them, hell nobody even acknowledges the latter's existence except Super Shrill.

Cynicism is killing comics discussion

Luckily, miraculously, it's not killing great comics. Mostly.

But yeah, I'm over this shit. They can have their comics internet. I'll take the comics.

Tizoc

You know all these whack changes and announcements are really turning me away from the upcoming Marvel books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom