• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

yeah but i really liked moonstone once and quasar and
GOD ENOUGH

theres no patience anymore, no joyful curiosity

but i get it

i no longer have the patience for this grotesque cynicism
nor am i joyfully curious to see what people are going lash out at with no cause next

comics are better than they have ever been in my lifetime, and its audience is devolving into the absolute worst ive ever seen it, mired in cynicism and entitlement, clinging to old stories and expectations, reacting to new ideas, or even the THREAT of new ideas like a dracula reacts to a dropped windowshade at 12 noon.

Comics? Guys? Secretly?

THEY'RE FUN.
HAVE FUN.

honestly what's wrong with you guys? what makes you say "FUCK BENDIS" without reading a single story detail? a single sentence of context?

what's the thought process here?

actually, i don't give a fuck.

never mind.

I... I actually completely agree.

Of course. There's not really a debate. It's what visibly happens every time.

It used to make me sad.

Then it made me mad.

Now I just don't care.

Way to go, Cynicism. You have killed your mortal enemy, me, Enthusiasm.

Enjoy the rest of your whatever ideas have.

Hagi

Cynicism is killing comics discussion

Luckily, miraculously, it's not killing great comics. Mostly.

But yeah, I'm over this shit. They can have their comics internet. I'll take the comics.

Yup a thousand times this. I can't even hold all these fantastic Star Wars comics that are coming out.

Or you could read Mignolaverse. Y'know, good stuff.

It's weird I never really think of it like a shared universe even though it obviously is. I have BRPD and Hellboy proudly on my shelf.

ReAxion

yeah but i really liked moonstone once and quasar and
GOD ENOUGH

theres no patience anymore, no joyful curiosity

but i get it

i no longer have the patience for this grotesque cynicism
nor am i joyfully curious to see what people are going lash out at with no cause next

comics are better than they have ever been in my lifetime, and its audience is devolving into the absolute worst ive ever seen it, mired in cynicism and entitlement, clinging to old stories and expectations, reacting to new ideas, or even the THREAT of new ideas like a dracula reacts to a dropped windowshade at 12 noon.

Comics? Guys? Secretly?

THEY'RE FUN.
HAVE FUN.

honestly what's wrong with you guys? what makes you say "FUCK BENDIS" without reading a single story detail? a single sentence of context?

what's the thought process here?

actually, i don't give a fuck.

never mind.

Of course. There's not really a debate. It's what visibly happens every time.

It used to make me sad.

Then it made me mad.

Now I just don't care.

Way to go, Cynicism. You have killed your mortal enemy, me, Enthusiasm.

Enjoy the rest of your whatever ideas have.

Yeah.

Busaiku

Really, Marvel?
mEjyEXb.jpg

I have no idea who that is or why it needs a "really?"

And I agree with Birdie. I'd also like to add that it's definitely not a problem limited to comics; pretty much all internet discourse trends towards negativity regardless, because of some fundamental imbalances in the way we view criticism and praise.

And I agree with Birdie. I'd also like to add that it's definitely not a problem limited to comics; pretty much all internet discourse trends towards negativity regardless, because of some fundamental imbalances in the way we view criticism and praise.

Ditto. I've really tried to shift away from that personally (even if I often fail) because it's just exhausting and counterproductive.

It's weird I never really think of it like a shared universe even though it obviously is. I have BRPD and Hellboy proudly on my shelf.

I mean, we all praise Hickman for his five year plan or whatever, but Mignola and Arcudi have been seeding and developing that damn story for nearly twenty years. It's insane when you stop and look at it.

Really, Marvel?

That image is cute as hell. I know comigaf runs on hate, but don't h8, m8

Boogiepop

Hooray, amiibo secured, set for a little longer. It's getting better again, so hopefully the hellishness is almost past and they'll be nice and easy to preorder soon.

Also, reading Hellblazer again. Just a little into volume 6, and I'm of course enjoying it. That Christmas issue was amazing!

Who is that holding up the mistletoe?

Gwenpool, the Deadpool that is also Gwen Stacy. It started as a variant cover during the "Everyone is Gwen" variants month and now it's a real thing. I think I read somewhere that she'll be in the new Howard the Duck series.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I am so behind on my collection it's embarrassing. I won't be able to pick up any books until payday, however.

I also wanted to share this with you guys, because I'm just so blown away and excited. The first ever review of my comic book, The Gamma Gals, went live on Fanboy Comics last night, and my mind is still blown. Working on this book has literally been a dream come true for me, and I am so grateful to the folks at Fanboy Comics for giving my book a look (and a rather glowing review at that!).

I actually finished the penciling and inking of Issue #2, and am now on to the coloring and lettering. It should be available sometime in late September, early October if all goes well in the coming weeks!

You guys can check out the review below:

http://fanboycomics.net/index.php/blogs/barbra-dillon/item/5573

You know all these whack changes and announcements are really turning me away from the upcoming Marvel books.

Really, Marvel?

new number
who dis

Poor Birdie.

I am up for trying anything and new stuff is always fun. But then again, I read new stuff on MU or at the Library. I can see how cynicism can set in when one has to bet $5 on 20 pages on a large number of new books which might go nowhere after 3 issues. I think cynicism in this case might just be a form of risk aversion.

ElNarez

Banned
y'all are not even mentioning Chris Hastings is writing Gwenpool and what the fuck are you good for

shaking my ding-dong head over here

Same here.

Can you imagine what knee jerk reactions to classic storylines looked like back in the old day?

Actually, I think cynicism is easier than loving something and showing it. You don't make yourself vulnerable when you display cynicism.

Boogiepop

So, not comics but manga, however... thanks to contacting customer service my two big old manga orders that were sitting around and waiting are now partial shipping, creating a wonderfully monstrously huge pile coming my way.

What's coming:
Wolfsmund 1-6
Buddha 1-5 (the rest being on backorder for now)
Gundam the Origin 1-10
Yugioh 3-in-1 1-3
Assassination Classroom 2-4
Vagabond VizBig 2-3, 5-7, 9-12 (8 on backorder, had 1 and 4)
Cowa!
Sand Land
Genkaku Picasso 1-3

That is quite a bit of manga.

Same here.

Can you imagine what knee jerk reactions to classic storylines looked like back in the old day?

Actually, I think cynicism is easier than loving something and showing it. You don't make yourself vulnerable when you display cynicism.

Very well put. Might be the root cause of it all, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom