• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

nooooooo~!!!! I bought a year of Marvel Unlimited but it expires next month!!

Jekki my man. I'm still sitting on a few 1-month Marvel Unlimited codes. If you want to keep reading Unlimited for another month or two thereafter, hit me up.

Nooo, Grayson is in a dumb crossover.
I thought it was better than this.

Are you sassing Midnighter?

Fucking fight me!

tumblr_ngdxvckhcC1sortl3o1_500.gif

Gigantomakhia is legit good, btw.

Also since i had more postgrad classes today, this means hellboy talk. Read 1946. Varvara. Gods.

Y'know, the thousand year old evil entity in the body of a child is a trope that's been done to death, but this, THIS is how it should be done. Someone grotesquely powerful shouldn't need constant outbursts. Varvara is marked by her indifference, borne from long exposure to the horrors of the world, thus her justification for being attracted to Papa Hellboy (cuz ill be buggered if i can remember the doc's name) works very well. She sticks around because he has a tendency to run into shit so fucked up that it is completely new to her. That works! And works well.

And oh gods, her sense of humor. Carrying that charred doll at the end. How you get quite a bit more development from the way others talk about her. The first floppy was kinda wobbly, but once Joshua Dysart found his stride, dude did some excellent work.

Plus i kinda like that accursed nazi head.

Also BPRBDPD The Black Goddess. Johann. What a dick. Sure, character development, but what a dick!

Robin War

huh, haven't heard of this

*some binging later*

goddammit is this tying in a bunch of shit with that stupid we are robin line? to be fair i haven't even read that, but the whole idea from the start being so dumb is the reason i didn't even give it a chance. though....

"Robin War" is an upcoming comic book crossover storyline published by DC Comics. The event will run in December, taking place in the books Robin, Son of Batman, We Are Robin, Gotham Academy, and Grayson.[1]

i like all of those except for we are robin. maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

VanWinkle

*some binging later*

goddammit is this tying in a bunch of shit with that stupid we are robin line? to be fair i haven't even read that, but the whole idea from the start being so dumb is the reason i didn't even give it a chance. though....

You like all of them except the one you haven't tried yet. Lol. Maybe you should just try it and go in with an open mind.

So is every female in One Piece a jobber?

Nami? Jobber™.
Robin? Silly power and jobber.
Hancock? Haven't seen her do much, probably jobber.
Baby 5? Jobbed up by Franky.
Tashigi? Always bailed out by Smoker or Zoro.
Kalifa? Pseudo-wrecked by Sanji.
Alvida? One joke character.
Bonney? Haven't read enough but she's probably a jobber.

Nice job, Oda

Sandfox

Robin War is such a weird crossover idea.

Nami? Jobber™.

Nice job, Oda

Nami, Robin, and Hancock aren't jobbers and Bonney hasn't done crap in the series.

Nami? Literally never used as a jobber
Robin? Silly power and jobber. She doesn't get many fights, but she's clearly one of the more powerful characters in the series
Hancock? Haven't seen her do much, probably jobber. Effortlessly stomps most pacifistas, is one of the more powerful pirates in the series, has conqueror's haki
Baby 5? Jobbed up by Franky. comedy villain
Tashigi? Always bailed out by Smoker or Zoro. Part of her character arc
Kalifa? Pseudo-wrecked by Sanji. What? She lost in a fight with Nami
Alvida? One joke character. Was brought back, and her one joke was dropped
Bonney? Haven't read enough but she's probably a jobber. Has never been in a fight

Nice job, Oda

You're using the term "jobber" wrong

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Nami? Jobber™.

Nice job, Oda

Do you even know what jobber means?

My issue is that I hate what DC did with every single member of the Bat-family when they rebooted.

well,

• dick sucked until forever evil, when they took him in a completely different direction that was way better than they did before with nu52 but still not nearly as good as peak nightwing pre-52
  • i don't know much of tim pre-52 but his old suit always looked stupid to me because his cowl looked like a thumb and his new suit, while most people hate it, i quite like and his stuff w/ teen titans has been pretty damn good
  • barbara was a step down in that she was a better oracle than batgirl, but her line's pretty good now and the soft reboot basically fixed the fact that it wasn't very distinct from any of the other lines even if it isn't in line with what people expect out of her batgirl
  • red hood has been terrrible throughout nu52 and has a real stupid costume now to boot
  • damien, based off of what little i've read of him pre52 and all of his stuff in nu52, is a terrible person and i hate him as robin, but the robin, son of batman line has real nice art and is doing some interesting things with him and redeeming him in my mind
so as someone who didn't really follow batman until after nu52 happened (i still used recommended reading lists and went back and read all the important arcs) it seems to me that all of the batfamily were real bad until they decided what exactly they wanted to do with them (they still haven't decided what to do with red hood)

oh, and, as someone whose favorite character is nightwing, dick as a bludhaven cop >>>> dickbats

Sandfox

well,

• dick sucked until forever evil, when they took him in a completely different direction that was way better than they did before with nu52 but still not nearly as good as peak nightwing pre-52
  • i don't know much of tim pre-52 but his old suit always looked stupid to me because his cowl looked like a thumb and his new suit, while most people hate it, i quite like and his stuff w/ teen titans has been pretty damn good
  • barbara was a step down in that she was a better oracle than batgirl, but her line's pretty good now and the soft reboot basically fixed the fact that it wasn't very distinct from any of the other lines even if it isn't in line with what people expect out of her batgirl
  • red hood has been terrrible throughout nu52 and has a real stupid costume now to boot
  • damien, based off of what little i've read of him pre52 and all of his stuff in nu52, is a terrible person and i hate him as robin, but the robin, son of batman line has real nice art and is doing some interesting things with him and redeeming him in my mind
so as someone who didn't really follow batman until after nu52 happened (i still used recommended reading lists and went back and read all the important arcs) it seems to me that all of the batfamily were real bad until they decided what exactly they wanted to do with them (they still haven't decided what to do with red hood)

oh, and, as someone whose favorite character is nightwing, dick as a bludhaven cop >>>> dickbats
I'm including the changes to their backstories.

Love when artists pay attention to things like that. Like Hollingsworth using all that purple during Hawkeye.

Yeah the little details add a lot when it comes to adding personality to the characters and art.

Also just read Starfire #4. I'm enjoying this series a lot so far. I'm so excited to see Atlee again ;___; Lupacchino's art is really great on this too. I don't like her art as much as Amanda Conner's, but she's a good fit for this book. Love the little imagination bubbles that Kori has.

Nami? Jobber™.

Nice job, Oda

You don't know how to use jobber. It's specifically someone who is designed to lose (Yamcha). "The Worf Effect" refers specifically to a jobber who is built up as a super badass, but still loses (Vegeta).

Nami isn't a fighter, though she does help. She's primarily a thief and navigator, and uses the skills provided by these talents as support. She's also technically never lost a solo fight (no matter how shitty the fights were).

Robin has had one solo fight in the series, and I can tell you this: what she did to Yama was fucking dirty.

Hancock has fucked up so much shit that she would have to bend over backwards to have to look down that far (reference!)

Baby 5 stood no chance against Franky to begin with and Buffalo, as her partner, is a piece of garbage and a waste of space.

Tashigi and Kalifa are probably the closest you'll get to jobbers with this list. Tashigi is Tashigi and Kalifa only beat Sanji because he handicapped himself and Nami was using shit out of nowhere (a big problem with Enies Lobby as a whole).

Alvida is largely irrelevant aside from Buggy shenanigans and Bonney has done precisely jack shit within the story as far as I know.

so i read we are robin because VanWinkle insisted i try it.

first two issues weren't bad, but the third issue ruined what it had going for it.
why the fuck did they make alfred the guy behind it? this very much goes against the whole "bruce isn't needed as batman anymore"--now alfred is letting bruce be happy while putting a bunch of other kids at risk instead? it's especially disappointing as it was starting to look like they were being led by a bad guy--build up a team of people who think they're actually doing good because at first they might be, but in the end use them as a tool to do things without them knowing it, like virgil and co in young justice.

well,

Damien is a beautiful human being.

Slayven

Why did it fail so hard?

Marvel brought them on the ass end of the 90s boom, and rebooted the whole universe and canceled them mid reboot when sells wasn't up where they thought they should be.

Ultraverse had a lot of interesting moving parts, but it never congealed into a universe to me

Tizoc

Nami? Jobber™.

Nice job, Oda

Not even OP mangaGAF want to waste their time discussing Oda is a sexist; it's a waste of time.

Vore? On my comigaf? This weekend sounds promissing.

BRPRPRDPRPDD King of Fear. Gods i love what theyre doong with the black flame. Also how the whole thing is going to hell in a handbasket.

Fully expect to see the spider and the fly developed later. Also where the hell is hecate? Or brojamin?

Zombine

Banned
Or... Hear me out. Two big spreads

Fuck it, two four page spreads. As time moves closer to Comic Con I realize that there is less that I want. I don't feel bad buying these now. All I want is my Burnham commission and something from Joe Q.

Nami, Robin, and Hancock aren't jobbers and Bonney hasn't done crap in the series.

You're using the term "jobber" wrong

Do you even know what jobber means?

You don't know how to use jobber. It's specifically someone who is designed to lose (Yamcha). "The Worf Effect" refers specifically to a jobber who is built up as a super badass, but still loses (Vegeta).

Nami isn't a fighter, though she does help. She's primarily a thief and navigator, and uses the skills provided by these talents as support. She's also technically never lost a solo fight (no matter how shitty the fights were).

Robin has had one solo fight in the series, and I can tell you this: what she did to Yama was fucking dirty.

Hancock has fucked up so much shit that she would have to bend over backwards to have to look down that far (reference!)

Baby 5 stood no chance against Franky to begin with and Buffalo, as her partner, is a piece of garbage and a waste of space.

Tashigi and Kalifa are probably the closest you'll get to jobbers with this list. Tashigi is Tashigi and Kalifa only beat Sanji because he handicapped himself and Nami was using shit out of nowhere (a big problem with Enies Lobby as a whole).

Alvida is largely irrelevant aside from Buggy shenanigans and Bonney has done precisely jack shit within the story as far as I know.

Not even OP mangaGAF want to waste their time discussing Oda is a sexist; it's a waste of time.

Let me phrase it another way, since everybody seems touchy about it. They are comparatively weak and are constantly being bailed out by other characters.

Not saying Oda is sexist.

*some binging later*

Late to this, but you should really check out We Are Robin. It's quite good. Not quite Omega Men tier, but damn good comics all the same. Easily on par with Gotham Academy.

I'm super hyped for Robin War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom