• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really enjoyed Red Hood and the Outlaws

There was no reason for those three heroes to be teamed up like they were, there was so much with Starfire's backstory they could've gone into but never touched, Arsenal didn't contribute at all to the team in terms of personality and chemistry, and the whole Red Hood amnesia arc was convoluted for no real reason.

Red Hood isn't bad.

he was great in eternal. he's terrible in his own lines though.

I've having a crisis of identity.

image.php

Gross in what way? Art? Political?

No no, there's just some nasty shit in it. Gross in the "I might barf" sense.
Pretty much this. Like, a lot of vomit and blood and unsettling stuff.

Basically, Morrison's take on mutants was, rather than the "superhero" types we're used to seeing, make them all have physical (rather grotesque at points) mutations. So Beak is basically a bird person; Glob; Martha (though that was the U-Men's fault); the dude in the beginning with three faces; Angel (who is the worst piece of shit ever) has physical bug wings and acidic vomit; Beast has a secondary mutation to look more feral and cat-like; Emma Frost gets her diamond skin as a secondary mutation.

It does introduce some interesting concepts as far as politics and sociology. The U-Men are a really interesting concept and ideal altogether. With "trans-speciesim" and the idea of harvesting mutant organs to elevate humans to mutants. Very cool concepts, but just some rather grotesque things.

I kinda expected Mad Max to have the better open world and driving compared to MGS5. That was a given.
Didn't quite see it also having better writing, tho. And yet here we are.

Chumbucket is good peoples.

I kinda expected Mad Max to have the better open world and driving compared to MGS5. That was a given.

oh man, now I really want to start Mad Max. MGS is getting amazeballs tedious at this point (on mission 37). Just want to finish it up at this point and move on. I think I'mma skip all the retread missions and just do the new stuff to finish up the story.

ElNarez

Banned
I mean seriously how the fuck is Venditti still shitting up BOTH Flash and Green Lantern while they cut The Omega Men to 7 issues?

I mean seriously how the fuck is Venditti still shitting up BOTH Flash and Green Lantern while they cut The Omega Men to 7 issues?

Because DC hates us all.

God dammit. I'm still mad. If they're cutting an already-limited series like Omega Men down, then how far behind can Prez be?

There was no reason for those three heroes to be teamed up like they were, there was so much with Starfire's backstory they could've gone into but never touched, Arsenal didn't contribute at all to the team in terms of personality and chemistry, and the whole Red Hood amnesia arc was convoluted for no real reason.

he was great in eternal. he's terrible in his own lines though.

So, I've been saying for awhile that DC has nooooo idea what to do with Jason and Roy, but Roy more than either of them. Jason could easily carry a solo book. With RHatO, we got the whole Nameless (I think?) and the Caste (?). Now in RHaA, we have Underbelly, which is heavily rooted in Jason's lore. These supernatural, mystic threats. They could literally make Jason a Moon Knight-style character. He has a personality, too!

Roy, on the other hand, has nothing. He has no real lore or mythos to his own. They could have done something with the Native American angle plus the Outsiders. I mean, the Axe Clan was very clearly Native American. They could have very well done a storyline delving deeper into another clan. But no, instead they've done nothing except "I'm an alcoholic and Croc is kinda sorta my sponsor." And his personality seems to sort of change from book to book. He has no chemistry with Jason.

I really want to believe in these characters, but they have nothing going on and it sucks.

oh man, now I really want to start Mad Max. MGS is getting amazeballs tedious at this point (on mission 37). Just want to finish it up at this point and move on. I think I'mma skip all the retread missions and just do the new stuff to finish up the story.

My problem with mgs is how you see remnants of f2p systems everywhere. Plus "oh lol u paid a ton to upgrade the choppa? Well, bettah get ready sucka, because cost to use any fuction that involves it just got multiplied. Because."
Just so many completely pigheaded design choices.
Also the story, obv.

Thankfully, the on foot open world stealth action once youve crossed a bunch of padded map is pretty excellent.

Mind you, Max can be pretty grindy too, but at least its in that utterly and completely optional ubisoft game "conquer the map" kinda way.

PsychBat!

Banned
Are you reliant on them to some extent? Either financially or for room and board?

Yes. But it's time I move out really soon.

It's clear that they'll never acknowledge that they have done wrong in their lives to me and my siblings. And it's clear that ever since I was born, I was nothing but a parasite and ruined their lives living with them.

Can anyone even go through the mental gymnastics to understand my dad's reasoning on
why he cuffed me to my own bed (naked) and was struck using his belt
was because I made him do it? It's insanity. I was 13 and I don't know even know what I did wrong.

It's clear that they'll never acknowledge that they have done wrong in their lives to me and my siblings. And it's clear that ever since I was born, I was nothing but a parasite and ruined their lives living with them.

Can anyone even go through the mental gymnastics to understand my dad's reasoning on
was because I made him do it? It's insanity. I was 13 and I don't know even know what I did wrong.

Oh dear what did I come home to?

VanWinkle

Look at this adorable little omnibus I bought today for like $3:

The art remind me of the smurfs or something, lol

I'm weirdly excited to read this sweet little thing, though.

I have a Batman itch to scratch. ETERNAL or GATES OF GOTHAM?

I actually just bought both of those. Gates of Gotham came in the mail yesterday and Batman Eternal is supposed to come tomorrow. I haven't read them yet (currently reading Batman City of Owls), but I'm excited for both.

so i went to Long Beach Comic-Con these past two days and surprisingly spent way more on books than i did sketches (even though i got 5 of those - oddly not that expensive at this show?). Like jesus guys, i bought sooooooo many books from people

words

Nice pickups and sketches dude! I think the Venom one is my favorite. The Blackheart one is metal as hell too.

He appeals on a superficial level to the same crowd that like Deadpool, but he has none of Wade's depth as a character. To most who know who Lobo is, he's just kewl because he's got a bike that files and he looks like an Alice Cooper roadie. I've never liked him apart from that one Justice League episode, and the time Wolverine beat him in one panel.

I've never cared for Deadpool much until I read Remender's Uncanny X-Force. If he can do that with Wade, someone can do it with Lobo. I feel like, at least with the design change they were trying.

Yeah, dude. You're better off just distancing yourself from all of that.

Vyer

because unfortunately nobody is buying omega men?

I would have thought that might be a given too.

I'm enjoying MGSV so far, but the writing is ridiculous nonsense. as usual

Red Hood needs to die a fiery death. It's just so fucking bad.
b47eda8b780f6a84f8e757e825571f82.gif

I haven't played Mad Max but I don't believe you. All I hear about the game is it's a game not made by Ubisoft but plays like one and I'm out.

Yousefb

I actually just bought both of those. Gates of Gotham came in the mail yesterday and Batman Eternal is supposed to come tomorrow. I haven't read them yet (currently reading Batman City of Owls), but I'm excited for both.
I decided to get Gates on comixology. I like the concept, I like Snyder, and I like Dick Grayson, so looking forward for reading it.

Bii

I got some stuff back from the framers that I forgot to post.

Some of the stuff Bii got me at SDCC (that I will never be able to thank him enough for)

Allycat sketch (my pride and joy)

Sunstone 5 covers print

Sunstone Dragon fantasy

Revival by Jenny Frison

Olivia :) it's huge

I'm always amazed at how a frame does wonders for (most) prints. Excellent choice in getting the Sunstone ones matted.

What are the dimensions of that Olivia print? 20"x30"? I have a print that size that I need to get framed/matted so I can put it up in my bedroom.

So I went to the Cincy Comic Con today. I usually go on Saturdays but this year I had to work so Sunday it was. I really wanted a sketch from Phil Noto and Ming Doyle so those were going to be my first targets.

Thats my con experience in a nut shell.

My plans for a mid- to large-sized con never goes as expected. haha. It is a downer to get commissions that you're not satisfied with but from what I see, they're not all that bad. The major issues I see are Joker's eyes seem to be too far apart and Kylo Ren has a boring pose...then again, I'm not sure how much you paid for those, so the pricing might be relevant to the quality that you'd expect. I can honestly say that the 40+ sketches I now have, I've only been disappointed with one. I've mentioned it before but that particular artist did end up contacting me and says she'll do a better job the next time I catch her at a con. Plus, she'll do it for free.

My girlfriend also bought a Cheshire Cat Funko from this year's SDCC. We couldn't find it at our local stores and it was only $15 from one of the vendors there.

Who did that Marilyn Monroe/Poison Ivy mashup?

so i went to Long Beach Comic-Con these past two days and surprisingly spent way more on books than i did sketches (even though i got 5 of those - oddly not that expensive at this show?). Like jesus guys, i bought sooooooo many books from people

tl;dr everyone at LBCC was nice and i had one of the best all-in-all con experiences this time

I'm kind of bummed that I missed LBCC this year. Had my hotel reserved, sketchbooks ready to go, plans on what to do while in Long Beach when we're not at the con...but it was my birthday on the 8th, my SO's on the 11th and my son's is later this month. A lot of our friends and family planned celebrations for us that we couldn't work our schedules around to free up this weekend. I will definitely try again next year.

Of the sketches you got, my favorite is Jill Valentine by Justin Greenwood. I have seen Justin twice now at BigWow and at Stocktoncon, and have yet to get a sketch from him. I had bounced around an idea that I think he would do wonders with but I didn't get a chance to drop my book off to him when I was at Stockton. I'll have to catch him at the next con if he has a booth.

I'm going to go to two more conventions before the year is over so I'm hoping I can spot some local artists with decent talent.

Something I'm curious about that crossed my mind. Do issues ever get changes when they are published in trades? I mean corrections/changes to the art and/or dialogue.

Something I'm curious about that crossed my mind. Do issues ever get changes when they are published in trades? I mean corrections/changes to the art and/or dialogue.

Sometimes. I know it happened for sure with Sex Criminals from Image. But that was more to do with not having the licensing paperwork for the lyrics they wanted to use go through in time. But this was changed in the trades.

People always gave Kojima too much credit. Still love that guy.

i think he's like THE auteur in videogames. inspired by so many things and his stuff is so unique. nonsensical and stupid at times but I love it. great use of music too.

MGS V gets tedious as fuck but brehs...you must play episode 43. Great storytelling in that one.

I'm kind of bummed that I missed LBCC this year. Had my hotel reserved, sketchbooks ready to go, plans on what to do while in Long Beach when we're not at the con...but it was my birthday on the 8th, my SO's on the 11th and my son's is later this month. A lot of our friends and family planned celebrations for us that we couldn't work our schedules around to free up this weekend. I will definitely try again next year.

Of the sketches you got, my favorite is Jill Valentine by Justin Greenwood. I have seen Justin twice now at BigWow and at Stocktoncon, and have yet to get a sketch from him. I had bounced around an idea that I think he would do wonders with but I didn't get a chance to drop my book off to him when I was at Stockton. I'll have to catch him at the next con if he has a booth.

I'm going to go to two more conventions before the year is over so I'm hoping I can spot some local artists with decent talent.
Ah damn, I didn't know you had the hotel reserved and everything, that sucks. Wish you and Kipp could've made it!

And yea I'm really happy with how it turned out! I'm probably going to go to CALA to finish out the year and that's it. There are a couple of smaller shows coming up but eh idk

Tizoc

i think he's like THE auteur in videogames. inspired by so many things and his stuff is so unique. nonsensical and stupid at times but I love it. great use of music too.

MGS V gets tedious as fuck but brehs...you must play episode 43. Great storytelling in that one.

Kojima's an Otaku, and Japan has always been inspired by the west.
And Unique? Child please, Snatcher, one of his earlier games, has a few segments copied 1:1 from Blade Runner.

I won't deny he does some cool stuff, MGS1-3 are among his best works IMO and you can see the ideas and love he puts into them.
However always remember that he's an Otaku; but I don't mean that as a negative thing, but rather as something cautionary.

i mean unique to the games industry. like you can tell you're playing a kojima game right away due to his obsession with 80s music and film and his bizarre sense of humor.

Tizoc

i mean unique to the games industry. like you can tell you're playing a kojima game right away due to his obsession with 80s music and film and his bizarre sense of humor.

Other Japanese game developers do that; Kamiya games have Sentai inspirations, Guilty Gear series is Metal and Music inspired.
To name a few.

Once you widen your gaming horizons you get to appreciate stuff a little differently.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I have a Batman itch to scratch. ETERNAL or GATES OF GOTHAM?

Batman Eternal is more a weekly Bat-family book. Having just come off of watching Buffy and Angel with my gf, I was still very much in an ensemble cast mood. Made me want a Bat-family TV show lol. Not a perfect book, but solid enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom